American deaths in the Dominican Republic

Pancho

22 hours ago, Tailgate said:

Interesting site...food poisoning like crazy at some of the resorts there.

https://iwaspoisoned.com/location/dominican-republic#emailscroll

According to this,  I won't get poisoned when I go to Cabo or Puerto Vallarta here soon.   Glad I can rest my mind and just worry about accidently drinking some water when showering.  LOL

But holy crap the DR has  serious issues if this site is any indicator.   Of all the islands, I've never had the real desire to go the DR and certainly will not go now.

DR like PR, never had a desire to go there, and never will.  There are too many other great resort islands out there without issues like dying because you drink from the mini bar.  If I'm gonna a die I want it to be something dramatic, adventure related.

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

I wouldn't doubt with any foregin national leaving the island now, the first thing will be a stop at medical examiners office for an autopsy especially if they are from the US.  I wouldn't trust the findings from a DR offcial as far as I could throw him/her.  

Well, I'm definitely not going to the DR if that's the case. 

Shocking!  You mean to tell me that freebie alcohol at mid range caribbean resorts isn’t of only the finest quality?  Thanks for the update. I’ll play it safe and stick to drinking their tap water thank you!

Edited by Lhorn
  • Like 1

Couple more. 

A woman died earlier this week in the Dominican Republic, the latest in a spate of reported illnesses and deaths at resorts in the Caribbean country, according to the U.S. State Department.

Leyla Cox, 53, was staying at the Excellence resort in Punta Cana when she died on Tuesday, her son Will, told NBC News.

Meanwhile, another family has reported that their loved one died in the Dominican Republic in January.

Jerry Curran, 78, checked into the Dreams resort in Punta Cana on Jan 22, and died three days later, his daughter Kellie Brown told NBC affiliate WKYC in Ohio.

"He went to the Dominican Republic healthy and he just never came back," Brown said.

Authorities told the family that one of Curran's causes of death was pulmonary edema, "which seems to be common in everyone else who's passed that we're learning about," Brown said.

You gotta admit that the DR official and the billionaire hotel owner claiming that these deaths were simply due to Americans being lightweight drinkers an overindulging was pure gold.

Some of the shit they’re pulling with the bodies and family members that want answers is uphauling to say the least.

1 hour ago, Texas_Rocks said:

You gotta admit that the DR official and the billionaire hotel owner claiming that these deaths were simply due to Americans being lightweight drinkers an overindulging was pure gold.

Some of the shit they’re pulling with the bodies and family members that want answers is uphauling to say the least.

If they keep it up with the denials and insults, they will kiss the cash cow good bye and risk joining their neighbor as chaotic mess for a lack of a better way to put it.

22 hours ago, phdhorn said:

The guy had 3 other patients die on him for gynological reasons.

Yet, something tells me, "only" 4 dead patients is actually a pretty good track record by Dominican Standards.

They would have been better off drinking the alcohol 

On 6/11/2019 at 6:00 PM, Lhorn said:

Is there a chance in hell that those bottles aren’t diluted with turpentine or at least really sketchy grade alcohol. 

Bootleg booze in resorts in the Caribbean is a rampant.  You would have to be an idiot to think they are actually serving top shelf shit at some middle class all inclusive resort at the pool bar.  It is all garbage even if it is being poured out of a top shelf bottle, it has been either replaced with cheaper shit, or watered down.

There was a big thing on bootleg booze in Mexico about a year ago, it was mainly happening at certain resorts.  Here is a link to one of the stories.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/mexico-blackouts/2018/06/27/mexico-resorts-and-tainted-alcohol-assaults-blackouts-tourists-continue/733401002/

Some people died due to tainted drinks.  But this quote is just great:

After no more than three drinks, Smith began acting out of control, jumping on the back of her husband's aunt and doing other out-of-character things. She had to be carried back to the room, where she lost control of her bodily functions and blacked out. She regained consciousness about 24 hours later, confused and with no recollection of anything that had happened.

I think my wife's aunt had a bit of it in Isla Mujeres last summer. Half a margarita and she was loopy as shit, had big emotional swings, etc, and we cut her off immediately. Completely abnormal behavior for her. She was a mess for the rest of the evening, went to bed at like 8PM and slept well into the next day. Wife (no pics) had a few sips of a marg at the same time, and was immediately acting strange. Everything was incredibly funny, etc. Cut her off, too, & she was fine a little while later. This was at a little restaurant on the beach, right by Hotel Ixchel, not Chimbo's, but the one on the left as you look out at the water. 

It seems like it might be happening here some, too. Same kind of thing happened to a friend of mine in a Mexican restaurant in New Braunfels. He's one of the most grounded, serious people I know, & he ate & drank margs there all the time. Friends who were with him noticed he was acting weird after less than one marg and stopped him drinking immediately. He was the only one drinking tequila. He was unable to process info or do much of anything, had numbness, etc. They had to help him out of the restaurant to his house and into bed, where he slept for about 16 hours and couldn't remember a thing.

Could all be the same kind of thing. Who knows, but I think I'll do my drinking with bottles I've bought from now on. Fucking drinks cost way too much in bars & restaurants anyway.

Edited by wood

On 6/15/2019 at 8:03 AM, Texas_Rocks said:

The “toxicology machine is broken” is what the DR told the son of the woman who is the most recent death. He’s trying to get his mother’s body back ASAP but he can’t afford it. 

Saw a story that one of the family of a deceased woman was being pressured to consent to them cremating her. If he didn’t consent they said they would list her as a Jane Doe and they’d burn her anyway.  They really don’t want that toxicology tests to be done. 

They have a chance to make DR a bigger tourist destination than its ever been and not end up a shithole like Haiti  but they’re gonna piss it away to save a few bucks on alcohol.  As someone said above, there are too many nice safe places to Go and not risk coming back in a box.  Fuck em 

Edited by Lhorn

Was talking to the BIL earlier since he was just in the DR a couple weeks ago and he mentioned a couple of them went out for dinner. Only him and another one of them ordered a drink, both got sick.

He had one drink at dinner and then said he had an elevated heart rate and felt like his heart was going to jump out of his chest. Then spent the next day and a half feeling like he had food poisoning.

Another one... looks like they average almost 20 American deaths a year since 2012.

Has there been a recent increase or is the problem simply getting more attention? I never heard anything about this until this thread started, but in the past week I’ve also heard multiple other people talk about it.
  • Like 1

I’ve been there three times since 2012 and drank a shit load but never touched the mini bar. The secret must be to go with Dominicans that know where and where not to go. We got hooked up with some top shelf liquor(entire bottle) after a $50 tip and didn’t feel abnormal.

D.R. Is going to fuck up their economy if they don’t fix this. Bad press with this, Big Papi’s shooting, the plastic surgery deaths, and the NY couple that “wrecked” on the way to the airport and were found dead. No cheap ass inclusive resorts or cruises for me...

Count is up to 9 now per CNN.

DOMINICAN REPUBLIC — A New Jersey man died at a hotel in the Dominican Republic last week, his family says, making him at least the ninth US tourist to die at a Dominican Republic resort, or after becoming ill at one, over the past 13 months. 

Joseph Allen died June 13 after falling ill in the Dominican Republic, his family says.

Joseph Allen, 55, of Avenel, New Jersey, was found dead June 13 in his room at the Hotel Terra Linda in the coastal Dominican Republic city of Sousa, his sister Jaimie Reed told CNN.

The family doesn’t immediately know what caused his death. He’d been traveling with friends, and had stayed at the same resort many other times before, Reed said.

Allen’s friends have told the family that he complained about not feeling well last Wednesday. Hotel staff found him dead in his room early Thursday after friends expressed concern that he hadn’t met up with them that morning, Reed said.

https://fox4kc.com/2019/06/18/a-new-jersey-man-is-dead-after-falling-ill-in-the-dominican-republic-his-family-says/

Edited by retread

Shouldn't have ordered that cheeseburger, as you're definitely not in paradise.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7146093/Dozens-Jimmy-Buffet-fan-group-members-violently-ill-trip-Dominican-Republic.html

Dozens of members of a Jimmy Buffet fan group became violently ill during an April vacation to the Dominican Republic where seven Americans have mysteriously died in last year

• Dozens of members of the Central Oklahoma Parrothead Association traveled to the Dominican Republic in April on vacation 
  • The group, a fan club devoted to the singer Jimmy Buffet, stayed at the Hotel Riu Palace Macao in Punta Cana 
  • A member of the group, Dana Flowers, says that nearly 50 members of their entourage got sick 
  • Flowers says he was so ill that he lost 14 pounds and had to stay in his hotel room
  • Seven American tourists who traveled to the Dominican Republic have recently died and others grew ill under mysterious circumstances  

Dozens of members of a Jimmy Buffet fan club from Oklahoma reportedly fell ill during a trip in April to the Dominican Republic - where at least seven American tourists have died under mysterious circumstances.

One of the Buffet fans, Dana Flowers, says he got so sick that he lost 14 pounds and was unable to leave his room at the Hotel Riu Palace Macao in Punta Cana.

Flowers, a local travel agent from Oklahoma City, traveled to Punta Cana as part of the Central Oklahoma Parrothead Association, a group of Buffet fanatics from the Tulsa and Oklahoma City region.

‘Four or five days we were having a good time but then by the middle of the week people were beginning to get sick,’ he told KFOR-TV.

5 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I have no desire to go to islands where they put out 10 member hit teams to kill MLB baseball players, and kill tourists with mini bars.  It's 3rd world deservedly so, and not the good kind.

What does that make Haiti?

DR use to just be fat European men in Speedos, fat topless European women (you don't want pics) and food poisoning. Now it's like the Price is Right wheel with other prizes including bludgeoning and death.  Why would you even consider going over there? Went once 5 years prior. That was enough.

3 minutes ago, 3adays said:

I spent a week there in April boozing it up pretty hard. Came home and pissed blood a few days later. Coincidence? I think not. 

I pissed blood right before they found a 5-pound kidney tumor on the CT scan. Might wanna get that checked out.

I have no desire to go to islands where they put out 10 member hit teams to kill MLB baseball players, and kill tourists with mini bars.  It's 3rd world deservedly so, and not the good kind.

I know right? I could easily get the job done with 4 member hit teams.