Gunman attacks Dallas Federal Building

CHEF DIESEL

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Yeah, lots to figure out there.  I've seen the US Marshals at many a Federal courthouse.  They have sidearms.  I've never seen anyone -- even in a guard booth or whatnot -- with a long gun.  That said, there are clearly shots coming from the left (seeing the impacts on the courthouse, although man, those shots are WAY WIDE of the target).  So, I'm not even sure if the shots that got him were from shooters inside the courthouse or shooters outside of the courthouse, stationed to the left.

what's to figure out?  it's Dallas.  the feds are involved.  kill shot came from The Grassy Knoll.

2 hours ago, C-Man said:

June 9th is also the day the massive thunder-cell blew through Dallas, knocked down a construction crane killing one and injuring several and left 250,000+ without power for a couple of days.

Maybe. But the fact that the only person injured/dead being the perp means this story isn't going to be very big in the grand scheme of things.

It was mostly in jest.

Wouldn't shock me though. It's a pretty fucking phenomenal pic. How many pics like that have we ever really had of active shooters? I mean, is that the best *ever*?

The 22-year-old man who was fatally shot after he opened fire Monday on the Earle Cabell Federal Building in downtown Dallas had shared images and a video of weapons on social media in recent days.

Brian Isaack Clyde, who authorities confirmed was the gunman, had lived in Corpus Christi and Austin, public records show. It was unclear whether he was living in Dallas before the shooting, but records indicate he had relatives who lived in the area.

An initial search of public records did not uncover a criminal history.

A man who answered the door at the Plano home where public records show Clyde's family lives declined to comment. 

Reached by telephone Monday afternoon, Clyde's grandfather Rodney Clyde said he had "nothing to say at this time" and declined to comment further before he hung up.

In a video Brian Clyde posted on Facebook in which he appears to be receiving an outstanding student award from Del Mar College in Corpus Christi, he said he had served in the Army. Clyde's Facebook page was deactivated Monday afternoon.

"Military has always been big in my family, so has education," he said. "When I got out, I really didn't have any other options, so I figure go to school." 

An Army spokesman confirmed Clyde was a private first class and served as an infantryman from August 2015 to February 2017.

Details of his service history were not immediately available Monday, but he said in the video he had been at Fort Campbell, a military post in Kentucky.

FBI Special Agent in Charge Matthew DeSarno said Clyde was discharged from the Army in 2017, but he did not provide details about the circumstances of Clyde's discharge. 

Clyde was not on any federal watchlist or otherwise "of investigative interest," DeSarno said.

He was one of 983 prospective graduates from Del Mar this spring, according to the school. 

Clyde graduated from Leander ISD's Vandegrift High School in 2015. School district records indicated that he was a member of the JROTC program.

Before transferring to Vandegrift, Clyde attended Dallas ISD schools. He went to E.D. Walker Middle School and spent two-thirds of his freshman year at East Dallas' Woodrow Wilson High School.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/dallas/2019/06/17/know-brian-clyde-gunman-opened-fire-federal-courthouse-downtown-dallas

Just an FYI, this went out to all members of the bar for the Northern District as an "Urgent Message:"

The Earle Cabell Federal Building and U.S. Courthouse located at 1100 Commerce Street, Dallas, TX, will be closed to the public tomorrow.  Initial criminal proceedings that are scheduled tomorrow before a magistrate judge will be held at the Fort Worth division located at 501 W. 10th Street, Fort Worth, TX. Other proceedings scheduled for tomorrow in Dallas will be rescheduled unless you have been specifically informed of alternative arrangements by a courtroom deputy or other court personnel. Updates to this information will be provided on our website at www.txnd.uscourts.gov.

This message was sent by the United States Courts

This is almost certainly a dumb thing to hope, but I'm wondering if that photo and the result of this attempted mass shooting will discourage potential future shooters. These idiots all think they're going to go out in a blaze of glory taking a bunch of normal people with them to the applause of all their shitlord internet dork peers.  I don't think any up to now ever anticipated the possibility of fucking it up so badly they get themselves killed before they even shoot anyone, while being immortalized in a photo for the entire country to see what a mediocre loser you are because you can't even remember to tie your shoes.  

25 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

This is almost certainly a dumb thing to hope, but I'm wondering if that photo and the result of this attempted mass shooting will discourage potential future shooters. These idiots all think they're going to go out in a blaze of glory taking a bunch of normal people with them to the applause of all their shitlord internet dork peers.  I don't think any up to now ever anticipated the possibility of fucking it up so badly they get themselves killed before they even shoot anyone, while being immortalized in a photo for the entire country to see what a mediocre loser you are because you can't even remember to tie your shoes.  

I’m sure many mass shootings have been foiled/stopped in some way before. Doesn’t keep the rest from happening.

1 hour ago, wildcat09 said:

I think we (Texas) will spin this as a meme of “mass shooters in Texas/Dallas can’t compare to our bad asses and locals and LEO like hippie New Yorkers who let their kids get shot”

Edited by Rougarou

1 hour ago, Rougarou said:

I think we (Texas) will spin this as a meme of “mass shooters in Texas/Dallas can’t compare to our bad asses and locals and LEO like hippie New Yorkers who let their kids get shot”

I can think of 3 mass shootings off the top of my head in Texas where at least 15 people died (UT tower, Killeen Lubys, Sutherland Springs). Then you had Santa Fe High & the Dallas police shooter recently too. As a state we kind of suck when it comes to mass shootings (or if you’re positive-minded, we’re really good at mass shootings). 

4 hours ago, C-Man said:

How the hell does a kid that goes to Walker MS end up at Woodrow?  Other than a move?

Holy fuck, I looked up Walker to make sure it was where I thought it was and saw a bunch of google reviews from kids and parents, all negative.  Every single one of the reviews had a grotesque grammar or spelling error, usually several.  This is not a disadvantaged area.

Edited by TwiceHorn

2 hours ago, cmontexas said:

The day he posted "a storm is coming" a bigass literal storm hit Dallas

Putting aside the fact that it's straight-up Qanon lunacy, you could post "a storm is coming" any day during the summer in Dallas, and you will have a pretty good chance of being right more often than not.  God hates North Texas and Oklahoma.

Speaking of, since this guy was a Qanon fan, I'm wondering if TexAgs and SECRant are feeling conflicted.

4 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

How the hell does a kid that goes to Walker MS end up at Woodrow?  Other than a move?

Holy fuck, I looked up Walker to make sure it was where I thought it was and saw a bunch of google reviews from kids and parents, all negative.  Every single one of the reviews had a grotesque grammar or spelling error, usually several.  This is not a disadvantaged area.

beg to differ, if we're still talking about Mississippi...

18 hours ago, HouTex said:

And I did.  He dropped after he ran across the street.  I'm surprised he didn't drop immediately after the shots were fire.  And looking at the shot location he may have been shot through the heart.  

He was.  He ran until his adrenaline quit.  Don't we have any deer hunters here?

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Lat22 said:

That shot placement wasn't luck.  That was center mass defined.

The fatal shot apparently came from inside the building according to the Dallas Morning News photographer on scene. I thought it would have been the gunfire engagement down the street. Had to of been a rifle shot because photos of the gunman show his lungs and heart liquified and oozing out onto the pavement.

First off...   really glad he's dead, glad he didn't kill anyone else...

Now, for the love of god, can we talk about his decision not to put in his contacts?  

Fingerless mittens from TJMaxx...check!

Extra mags from craigslist and the bargin bin, non matching, check!

Olive drab pants from TacticalSansABelt.com, check!

Oversized greenish t-shirt, un-ironed, check!

Various straps and shit to tactically hang off meh black rifle. check!

Contacts?   Maaaaaaa! where are my contacts?!  Tactical tortoiseshell ballistic shields, check!

• Like 3

The fatal shot apparently came from inside the building according to the Dallas Morning News photographer on scene. I thought it would have been the gunfire engagement down the street. Had to of been a rifle shot because photos of the gunman show his lungs and heart liquified and oozing out onto the pavement.

No way dude based on this thread it was either a ricochet or a round from one of the l33t snipers we have stationed in every building in downtown Dallas 24/7!

Law enforcement in Dallas on Monday shot and killed a masked gunman carrying a military-style rifle and 150 rounds of ammunition. Authorities later identified the man as 22-year-old Army veteran Brian Isaack Clyde of Fort Worth.

No one else was seriously hurt in the shootout, which took place outside the Earle Cabell Federal Building and Courthouse around 8:40 a.m. ET. However, some glass panes on the building were shattered.

"It's a lot of rounds — a lot of rounds at his disposal, a large powerful weapon at his disposal," FBI agent Matthew DeSarno was quoted by The Associated Press as saying.

"But for the actions for the Federal Protective Service officers, this likely would have been a very deadly incident," he said.

Dallas Morning News photographer Tom Fox took a photo of the gunman, face covered and wearing glasses and what appears to be body armor and a waist belt containing several magazines of ammunition.

ap_19168821917746---dallas-gunman-317606
Enlarge this image

A photo provided by Del Mar College in Corpus Christi, Texas, shows Brian Isaack Clyde. Authorities identified Clyde as the gunman.

Courtesy of Del Mar College via AP

Fox, a longtime veteran of local journalism, had gone to the federal building on a seemingly routine assignment to photograph a defendant in a fraud case. He told the Morning News that he heard something that sounded like gunshots.

"I just kept thinking, 'He's going to look at me around that corner and he's going to shoot,' " the photographer said.

"So I pulled up my long lens and saw someone who I realized was the shooter. And I think, 'Oh my God.' I squeezed off a few frames as he picked something up — a clip, I think — and then I turned and ran," he said.

Fox says he followed three police officers as they crossed a street into a parking lot, where the suspect was lying fatally wounded on the ground.

Authorities have not identified a motive for the shooting and have not released any details of the suspect.

A U.S. Army spokesman has confirmed to the Morning News that Clyde was a private first class and served as an infantryman for about 19 months, from August 2015 to February 2017.

Del Mar College in Corpus Christi confirmed that Clyde graduated from the school last month with an associate's degree in nondestructive testing technology. Del Mar's director of communication said Clyde was recognized as an outstanding academic student at an annual ceremony in April.

In the photo taken by Fox, Clyde was wearing an emblem representing the Army's 101st Airborne Division.

The Morning News quotes individuals who served with Clyde in the 101st, stationed at Fort Campbell, Ky. One, Matthew Newell, said Clyde "felt pressure to stay in the military, but after 2017 wanted to look for a 'new path.' "

In a June 9 video post from Clyde's Facebook page, which has since been removed, Clyde stands in a melodramatically darkened room sporting a military-style weapon that appears to be the same one seen in Fox's image.

He refers to a coming "storm," but says, "I'm not without defense."

In a post from Saturday, Clyde says he has "decided to finish getting all of my mags. 2 40 rounders and 8 30 rounders total."

Gabriel Wadsworth, another fellow soldier who served with Clyde, was quoted by the Dallas newspaper as saying Clyde was a gun enthusiast who was fascinated by military history and medieval weapons.

Wadsworth told the Morning News that he's "still shaking" at the news of Monday's shooting because he'd exchanged messages with Clyde on Facebook on Sunday night and he'd given no hint of what he was planning.