Fire Shaka Smart

smokebomb

3 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

although whoever started that should have been ready to chip in more than $7 or whatever it was. If your goal is to prove that Texas basketball fans are totally apathetic about getting rid of Shaka then that was a great way to start. 

95 percent chance it was a Surlian.

Out in the car at lunch, and one of the guys from IT is on 104.9 saying Shaka is unhappy, because he feels like he is doing a great job recruiting and is not getting full support from the fans, or something to that effect. 
Fuck Shaka and that bullshit. 

Oh Brother. Someone needs to clue him in that there’s no W-L record for recruiting. Maybe he should try not blowing 19 point leads, win some more damn games and then he would get his precious fan support or something to that effect...,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Kiss said:

UCLA is a sleeping giant though. Nice campus, great basketball facilities and they don't care about football.

UCLA hoops is basically the definition of sleeping giant. All they need is a great coach and some elite classes and they will go on a tear.

20 hours ago, C-Man said:

Fortunately, basketball is a faster turnaround than football or baseball. 

Agree but 2 years additional in the suck is 2 years in the suck. Delayed gratification is not the American Way.

We are not China, and don't play the long game well (No CR).

Only a small handful of coaches (like Calipari whom we will never obtain) and good at one and done coaching. 

Rebuilds will take a few years IMO even in BB.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, El Squared said:

Agree but 2 years additional in the suck is 2 years in the suck. Delayed gratification is not the American Way.

We are not China, and don't play the long game well (No CR).

Only a small handful of coaches (like Calipari whom we will never obtain) and good at one and done coaching. 

Rebuilds will take a few years IMO even in BB.

also, the big 12 is fucking deep.  thats the wild card.  I understand that KU has dominated but its not like its KU and a bunch of scrubs.  getting a coach marginally better than shaka means a longer rebuild but hopefully you can scratch out top half finishes for a few years.  yes one player and the right coach can be magic but usually that player is not a one and done or a big man project.

we need to go big.

Blanks makes very little sense on the LHN broadcasts.  He's one upped himself here.

At least one Longhorn legend thinks Shaka Smart deserves another season. Former guard Lance Blanks, who’s also a former Virginia Cavalier,  believes it will be fair to “give him another year” in spite of a 17-16 season and zero NCAA Tournament wins in four years. “Let’s give him a chance to succeed or fail,” said Blanks, who’s a Longhorn Network commentator. “We have to allow him to run through the finish line. He is still in the midst of that. Shaka has not found his comfortability level with the UT-Austin ecosystem.” Asked why Smart hasn’t established a clear identity, Blanks said, “He has an identity of being sub-par or average in terms of success, but if he was pressing and creating Havoc, who cares if they’re still .500? I think you’ve got to give him one more season.”

https://www.statesman.com/sports/20190320/at-least-one-longhorn-legend-wants-smart-to-come-back

16 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

I wasn’t aware Shaka had to navigate the UT-Austin “ecosystem”. Christ. He doesn’t have 90 players to manage or the media demands of Herman. He’s not building anything. With any successful coach, you see a build. I don’t see that. When your best players in most years are the incoming freshmen, you’re not building anything. You’re Charlie Strong. 

Here's a live look at Shaka in his ecosystem...

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Deej said:

Out in the car at lunch, and one of the guys from IT is on 104.9 saying Shaka is unhappy, because he feels like he is doing a great job recruiting and is not getting full support from the fans, or something to that effect. 

Sounds like Shaka.  It’s never his fault.  It’s the players. Or an assistant. Or the fans. Or the ecosystem. 

Again I ask: if Shaka is doing a great job recruiting, why did he have to rely on noted spare DO to be the bedrock of this team? In year 4?

Edited by CurlyDumps

9 hours ago, Deej said:

Here's a Bill Parcells quote for yah Shaka.....

"You are what your record says you are."

Now go find another job please......

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Here's a Bill Parcells quote for yah Shaka.....

"You are what your record says you are."

Now go find another job please...…

"You are what your ecosystem says you are."

Ours says we suck. And if it could get some gators across the highway, it would kill us all. 

Edited by Tired Horn
typo

10 hours ago, Wally Pryor said:

He's a god in Lexington.  He'd just be one of many in LA.   Big difference when you've got an ego the size of Cal's.

At the end of the day, just don't see him making that jump.

Westwood vs Lexington would make him think. Especially in a down pac12. He could immediately own everything West of the Mississippi. 

14 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Beard is at ~ $3.2M per year average through 2023-2024.  You're right in terms of the raw numbers, especially since Austin is more expensive than Lubbock, but let's be honest -- that's pretty much just a bump of maybe $1M on a really nice house.  Taxes and other living expenses are down in the noise when you're looking at incomes on that level.

In other words, $500K+ more per year would easily put him ahead of where he's at now, and it's at a higher profile school.  Of course, Tech could counteroffer (and would).

TTU Athletic Director, Kirby Hocutt, today on his radio show says Beard has earned the opportunity for Tech to review his contract yet again and they're going to be proactive.  According to Hocutt .........

"We're going to be proactive. The decision for him to stay long time at Texas Tech will be Chris Beard's decision. We're going to continue to invest in this program ... I believe he does (want to stay long-term) ... but let's not get too far ahead of ourselves and focus on the now this year."

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Not that I disagree, but "all they need is a coach and some players" made me laugh. 

Yeah I should have clarified that getting said coach and players should be a lot easier at UCLA than other schools. 

Not unlike getting a coach and players for football in Austin. 

47 minutes ago, Mdhorn said:

GWU just cleaned house on their men's team and their number one candidate is Shaka Smart. Pretty sure others will inquire as well. 

George Washington? 

No shaka is not their #1 candidate. You trolling and not very well 

1 hour ago, SwanderedTalent said:

We don't appreciate Shaka the way the fine people of Washington, D.C. would and will. If you love something the way we all love Shaka Smart Texas Basketball, you have to let it go. 

Godspeed, Shaka Smart. 

hero we don't deserve and what not.  Go get em coach!

2 hours ago, SwanderedTalent said:

We don't appreciate Shaka the way the fine people of Washington, D.C. would and will. If you love something the way we all love Shaka Smart Texas Basketball, you have to let it go. 

Godspeed, Shaka Smart. 

If you love something, let it go. If it comes back, you fucked up.

33 minutes ago, Pancho Negro said:

I don't know, why did you?  The name that's constantly linked to GW is Ryan Odom at UMBC.  SHaka hasn't been linked to anywhere. 

Great, what do I care.  Not going to blow my sources.

Edited by Mdhorn
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Kiss said:

UCLA is a sleeping giant though. Nice campus, great basketball facilities and they don't care about football.

Their fans are also borderline insane, they tossed out Howland despite him taking the team to three straight Final Fours. He's now in the SEC turning Mississippi State relevant for the first time in a decade. Coaches remember how Howland was dismissed, it's part of the reason they've had trouble attracting a top coach lately.

It's not impossible they get somebody great, they just have to overcome some self-inflicted wounds to do it.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Bitterwhiteguy said:

Their fans are also borderline insane, they tossed out Howland despite him taking the team to three straight Final Fours. He's now in the SEC turning Mississippi State relevant for the first time in a decade. Coaches remember how Howland was dismissed, it's part of the reason they've had trouble attracting a top coach lately.

It's not impossible they get somebody great, they just have to overcome some self-inflicted wounds to do it.

If I understand you correctly, what you're saying is Shaka would be a great fit there and your sources are telling you it's almost a done deal, right?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Bitterwhiteguy said:

Howland not on our radar? 

• immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic
  • immamac pinned and featured this topic
  • immamac unpinned this topic