Mad Magazine is winding down

Gil Bang

19 minutes ago, deadshank said:

fffcaptainklutz.jpg?w=203&h=358

when you need a slob for the job... loved his work.

plus Antonio Prohias, Sergio Aragones... Spy Vs Spy got me through a week of camp when I fell ill and missed most of the fun. And my son recently discovered Groo and loves it.

RIP, Mad Magazine. Enjoyed you many times on road trips to Santa Fe.

So many great memories. But they never made the leap to the internet the way Cracked did.

This is just as likely a marketing stunt to get attention, reorganize staff, and then start publishing again in a year.  After all what could Mad Magazine do to get national attention other than announce a shutdown. 

Reminds me when playboy announced no nudity for less than a year. 

This makes me sad.  I bought a few for my son a couple years ago and he just didn't "get it" like I did.  Just like he didn't get a bunch of shit I cherished from my childhood.  C'est la vie.  

There's a bigger disconnect between his generation and mine than my father and mine.

• Like 1

I grew up with both Mad and Cracked magazines.   They were great for us, but I don’t think the younger generation is interested in flipping paper instead of typing a url.  In all honesty, I’ve converted to the url is easier approach myself....

3 minutes ago, SDG said:

I grew up with both Mad and Cracked magazines.   They were great for us, but I don’t think the younger generation is interested in flipping paper instead of typing a url.  In all honesty, I’ve converted to the url is easier approach myself....

And they're not reading as much as watching videos.  Vocabulary is falling, understanding references is not as good....   Get OFF MY LAWN YOU LITTLE FUCKERS!!!!

The MAD musical parodies were fantastic. My sister brought that up a few months back when we were talking about our childhood. I don't even remember now which song it was but nearly 50 years after the fact she still remembered the lyrics to one that stuck with her. 

On 7/4/2019 at 5:11 PM, Vito Andolini said:

I’ve watched many movies from years ago and already knew their plot lines from reading the MAD satire. An integral part of my youth in the 70’s. There are a bunch of sarcastic assholes out there, thanks to MAD. Thank goodness.

Oh hell yeah. In the broke-ass mid-70s, Mad magazine was how I "watched" current movies.

• Like 1

On 7/4/2019 at 6:38 PM, El Diablo said:

The MAD musical parodies were fantastic. My sister brought that up a few months back when we were talking about our childhood. I don't even remember now which song it was but nearly 50 years after the fact she still remembered the lyrics to one that stuck with her. 

Was it Billy Carter singing to the tune of Tony Orlando and Dawn ‘Tie a Yellow Ribbon’?

that shit has somehow stuck with me. 

On 7/4/2019 at 1:47 PM, Poolflood said:

And they're not reading as much as watching videos.  Vocabulary is falling, understanding references is not as good....   Get OFF MY LAWN YOU LITTLE FUCKERS!!!!

I dont think you're wrong.   Its shocking how little vocabulary kids know today.  

Speaking of vocabulary, I can’t tell you how many words I learned from this classic. 

Guaranteed Effective All-Occasion Non-Slanderous Political Smear Speech
By Bill Garvin
MAD #139, December 1970 

My fellow citizens, it is an honor and a pleasure to be here today. My opponent has openly admitted he feels an affinity toward your city, but I happen to like this area. It might be a salubrious place to him, but to me it is one of the nation's most delightful garden spots. 

When I embarked upon this political campaign I hoped that it could be conducted on a high level and that my opponent would be willing to stick to the issues. Unfortunately, he has decided to be tractable instead -- to indulge in unequivocal language, to eschew the use of outright lies in his speeches, and even to make repeated veracious statements about me. 

At first, I tried to ignore these scrupulous, unvarnished fidelities. Now I do so no longer. If my opponent wants a fight, he's going to get one ! 

It might be instructive to start with his background. My friends, have you ever accidentally dislodged a rock on the ground and seen what was underneath ? Well, exploring my opponent's background is dissimilar. All the slime and filth and corruption you could possibly imagine, even in your wildest dreams, are glaringly nonexistent in this man's life. And even during his childhood ! 

Let us take a very quick look at that childhood: It is a known fact that, on a number of occasions, he emulated older boys at a certain playground. It is also known that his parents not only permitted him to masticate excessively in their presence, but even urged him to do so. Most explicable of all, this man who poses as a paragon of virtue exacerbated his own sister while they were both teenagers ! 

I ask you, my fellow Americans: is this the kind of person we want in public office to set an example for our youth ? Of course, it's not surprising that he should have such a typically pristine background -- no, not when you consider the other members of his family: 

• His female relatives put on a constant pose of purity and innocence, and claim they are inscrutable, yet every one of them has taken part in hortatory activities 
  • The men in the family are likewise completely amenable to moral suasion
  • My opponent's second cousin is a Mormon
  • His uncle was a flagrant heterosexual
  • His sister, who has always been obsessed by sects, once worked as a proselyte outside a church 
  • His father was secretly chagrined at least a dozen times by matters of a pecuniary nature 
  • His youngest brother wrote an essay extolling the virtues of being a homosapien
  • His great-aunt expired from a degenerative disease 
  • His nephew subscribes to a phonographic magazine 
  • His wife was a thespian before their marriage and even performed the act in front of paying customers 
  • And his own mother had to resign from a women's organization in her later years because she was an admitted sexagenarian

Now what shall we say of the man himself ? 

I can tell you in solemn truth that he is the very antithesis of political radicalism, economic irresponsibility, and personal depravity. His own record proves that he has frequently discountenanced treasonable, un-American philosophies and has perpetrated many overt acts as well. 

• He perambulated his infant son on the street 
  • He practiced nepotism with his uncle and first cousin 
  • He attempted to interest a 13-year-old girl in philately
  • He participated in a seance at a private residence where, among other odd goings-on, there was incense
  • He has declared himself in favor of more homogeneity on college campuses 
  • He has advocated social intercourse in mixed company -- and has taken part in such gatherings himself 
  • He has been deliberately averse to crime in our streets 
  • He has urged our Protestant and Jewish citizens to develop more catholic tastes 
  • Last summer he committed a piscatorial act on a boat that was flying the American flag 
  • Finally, at a time when we must be on our guard against all foreign "isms", he has coolly announced his belief in altruism -- and his fervent hope that some day this entire nation will be altruistic !

I beg you, my friends, to oppose this man whose life and work and ideas are so openly and avowedly compatible with our American way of life. A vote for him would be a vote for the perpetuation of everything we hold dear. 

The facts are clear; the record speaks for itself. 

Do your duty.

4 hours ago, Vito Andolini said:

Speaking of vocabulary, I can’t tell you how many words I learned from this classic. 

Guaranteed Effective All-Occasion Non-Slanderous Political Smear Speech
By Bill Garvin
MAD #139, December 1970 

My fellow citizens, it is an honor and a pleasure to be here today. My opponent has openly admitted he feels an affinity toward your city, but I happen to like this area. It might be a salubrious place to him, but to me it is one of the nation's most delightful garden spots. 

When I embarked upon this political campaign I hoped that it could be conducted on a high level and that my opponent would be willing to stick to the issues. Unfortunately, he has decided to be tractable instead -- to indulge in unequivocal language, to eschew the use of outright lies in his speeches, and even to make repeated veracious statements about me. 

At first, I tried to ignore these scrupulous, unvarnished fidelities. Now I do so no longer. If my opponent wants a fight, he's going to get one ! 

It might be instructive to start with his background. My friends, have you ever accidentally dislodged a rock on the ground and seen what was underneath ? Well, exploring my opponent's background is dissimilar. All the slime and filth and corruption you could possibly imagine, even in your wildest dreams, are glaringly nonexistent in this man's life. And even during his childhood ! 

Let us take a very quick look at that childhood: It is a known fact that, on a number of occasions, he emulated older boys at a certain playground. It is also known that his parents not only permitted him to masticate excessively in their presence, but even urged him to do so. Most explicable of all, this man who poses as a paragon of virtue exacerbated his own sister while they were both teenagers ! 

I ask you, my fellow Americans: is this the kind of person we want in public office to set an example for our youth ? Of course, it's not surprising that he should have such a typically pristine background -- no, not when you consider the other members of his family: 

• His female relatives put on a constant pose of purity and innocence, and claim they are inscrutable, yet every one of them has taken part in hortatory activities 
  • The men in the family are likewise completely amenable to moral suasion
  • My opponent's second cousin is a Mormon
  • His uncle was a flagrant heterosexual
  • His sister, who has always been obsessed by sects, once worked as a proselyte outside a church 
  • His father was secretly chagrined at least a dozen times by matters of a pecuniary nature 
  • His youngest brother wrote an essay extolling the virtues of being a homosapien
  • His great-aunt expired from a degenerative disease 
  • His nephew subscribes to a phonographic magazine 
  • His wife was a thespian before their marriage and even performed the act in front of paying customers 
  • And his own mother had to resign from a women's organization in her later years because she was an admitted sexagenarian

Now what shall we say of the man himself ? 

I can tell you in solemn truth that he is the very antithesis of political radicalism, economic irresponsibility, and personal depravity. His own record proves that he has frequently discountenanced treasonable, un-American philosophies and has perpetrated many overt acts as well. 

• He perambulated his infant son on the street 
  • He practiced nepotism with his uncle and first cousin 
  • He attempted to interest a 13-year-old girl in philately
  • He participated in a seance at a private residence where, among other odd goings-on, there was incense
  • He has declared himself in favor of more homogeneity on college campuses 
  • He has advocated social intercourse in mixed company -- and has taken part in such gatherings himself 
  • He has been deliberately averse to crime in our streets 
  • He has urged our Protestant and Jewish citizens to develop more catholic tastes 
  • Last summer he committed a piscatorial act on a boat that was flying the American flag 
  • Finally, at a time when we must be on our guard against all foreign "isms", he has coolly announced his belief in altruism -- and his fervent hope that some day this entire nation will be altruistic !

I beg you, my friends, to oppose this man whose life and work and ideas are so openly and avowedly compatible with our American way of life. A vote for him would be a vote for the perpetuation of everything we hold dear. 

The facts are clear; the record speaks for itself. 

Do your duty.

This.  Came here to post.  Good job sir

Guest Lobo

Same here, mom starting sending me off to an 8-week summer camp near Canada as soon as I turned 9 years old.  But I'd take Mad Magazine and Life in Hell by Groening.  Didn't really get much of what I was reading some of the time, but could trade 'em with the older kids for candy and skin mags.  

Sad to see it go, some pithy political stuff in there over the years that opened up young minds.