Dolphins DT Kendrick Norton seriously injured in crash: arm amputated at scene

Bozo_Casanova

Just now, thestud said:

Compartment syndrome and crush injury toxicity isn’t a concern until 60>mins into entrapment. The arm itself isn’t large enough to warrant those concerns anyways IMO. I’m guessing freeing his arm was going to take substantial time they felt they didn’t have given the multitude of injuries he probably suffered, and the decision to amputate was made not due to crush injury but due to possible/suspected internal injuries and subsequent massive hemorrhage and/or hemodynamic instability.

https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2018/02/01/amputate-leg-texas-man-trenching-machine/

I'll go with this...you sound pre-med

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, thestud said:

Compartment syndrome and crush injury toxicity isn’t a concern until 60>mins into entrapment. The arm itself isn’t large enough to warrant those concerns anyways IMO. I’m guessing freeing his arm was going to take substantial time they felt they didn’t have given the multitude of injuries he probably suffered, and the decision to amputate was made not due to crush injury but due to possible/suspected internal injuries and subsequent massive hemorrhage and/or hemodynamic instability.

https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2018/02/01/amputate-leg-texas-man-trenching-machine/

I, too, have watched House. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, thestud said:

Nerves don’t regenerate. If they were able to reattach the limb and restore circulation in such a time frame that necrosis hadn’t set in then his arm would simply hang at his side. Think Sam Elliott in Tombstone.

Wrong

19 hours ago, Lhorn said:

ISWYDT

Or all Left.  Depending on what arm was amputated.

Right arm looked fine in this video (not graphic) of him wheeled from the ambulance at the hospital.  His chick seemed to have survived the crash ok, no rude amputations.

https://miami.cbslocal.com/video/4118091-miami-dolphins-player-kendrick-norton-seriously-injured-in-car-crash/

F-250 on its roof, arm pinned under it.  Also a Maserati involved.  May or may not have been doing 185.

https://www.local10.com/sports/nfl/dolphins/dolphins-defensive-tackle-kendrick-norton-seriously-injured-in-crash

Edited by clapclapclap
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, thestud said:

There’s always an exception, nothing is 100% except for death and taxes. But is that the outlier or are severed limbs reattached at even 1/3 the rate that they’re not? And we’re not talking appendages here, I’m talking an entire limb.

Maybe u should stop talking here and let some MD’s who know, you know, medicine, chime in. 

6 hours ago, Fat Bastard said:

Peripheral nerves regenerate.  Fin. 

Certainly true in my case, when I cut off the tip of my left thumb with a mandoline (not recommended). Regained the feeling in my thumb a few months later. But could it be a matter of degree? Since arm is much more involved and enables such a broad, complex combination of fine and gross motor skills, how much could a person expect to get back, assuming a best case scenario of tissue damage, time and preservation of the limb while severed? 

27 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

Are we supposed to know what that means? I don't know what the (*^& that means.

Rapid sequence induction (intubation)  (give him some drugs to chemically paralyze and sedate and or wipe-out his short term memory) so you can do bad things to him without him fighting or remembering what happened.......its great...that is if your the paramedic doing it

23 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

If he’s a cardiac surgeon then the only thing he would know about arms is that one of them will hurt if you’re having a heart attack

Yes because the best surgeons generally have no understanding of anatomy and physiology past their given area of practice.

Edited by Surly Bevo