A Detroit music festival charged white people double. Then the backlash started.

Nolacycling

I suppose I find this hilarious because of the ridiculousness of it and White privilege and all. Sorry I'm too stupid to post the link. The quotes are my attempt at humor. 

"We reserve the right to charge double to anyone"

"It a space usage issue. All those crackers get out of their seats and take over the aisles w/their no-rhythm clod hopping"

"No pick, no pigment, no playlist"

11 hours ago, immortal13 said:

AfroFuture explained their policy and rationale for it on their Eventbrite page. Organizers cite "equality" and "equity" in their ticketing, and state their structure "was built to insure that the most marginalized communities (people of color) are provided with an equitable chance at enjoying events in their own community (black Detroit)."

"Affording joy and pleasure is unfortunately still a privilege in our society for POC and we believe everyone should have access to receiving such," organizers wrote.

what fucking stupidity. so what does that have to do with charging whites more?

i recently spent a week in detroit.  that place is a fucking ghost town.  abandoned structures everywhere.  we stayed in a refurbished apartment build that was turned into airbnbs.  it was a 3 story building with roof access.  at night we'd go up on the roof and all of the buildings around us were completely dark, like we were the lone survivors in some great apocalypse.  

the city is being rebuilt, but it's not the blacks who are doing it.  the rebuilding is mostly led by whites, from the macro to the micro level.

so if/when the city is built to where blacks start moving back, i'm sure these organizers would have no issues whites charging POC double the rent citing equality and equity for bearing the rebuilding costs.

2 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

i recently spent a week in detroit.  that place is a fucking ghost town.  abandoned structures everywhere.  we stayed in a refurbished apartment build that was turned into airbnbs.  it was a 3 story building with roof access.  at night we'd go up on the roof and all of the buildings around us were completely dark, like we were the lone survivors in some great apocalypse.  

the city is being rebuilt, but it's not the blacks who are doing it.  the rebuilding is mostly led by whites, from the macro to the micro level.

so if/when the city is built to where blacks start moving back, i'm sure these organizers would have no issues whites charging POC double the rent citing equality and equity for bearing the rebuilding costs.

Just where do you think you live ?  Sanity town ?

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

56 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Why do you think the rebuilding is  "led by whites"? Do you think it's some great philanthropic movement? Or do you think it's because whites have money and see an opportunity to leverage that money to make more money? You're prescribing something to race ("whites") incorrectly - it's simply people with money.

And your last sentence is basically what happens. It's called gentrification, and it happens all the time. So I'm not even sure what this post of yours means or what point you're trying to make, outside of being outraged at white people not being given proper credit for being capitalists.

Edited by BradInATX
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Why do you think the rebuilding is  "led by whites"? Do you think it's some great philanthropic movement? Or do you think it's because whites have money and see an opportunity to leverage that money to make more money? You're prescribing something to race ("whites") incorrectly - it's simply people with money.

And your last sentence is basically what happens. It's called gentrification, and it happens all the time. So I'm not even sure what this post of yours means or what point you're trying to make, outside of being outraged at white people not being given proper credit for being capitalists.

whites=good; blacks=something else but not good

duh

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, crash_davis said:

what fucking stupidity. so what does that have to do with charging whites more?

Depends on how you phrase it. Not charging whites more, just giving discounts to minorities. We give discounts to the elderly, veterans, etc. Same kinda thing, just “minorities” is a less accurately defined class for the purposes of their argument. 

26 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Do you think this is 1840?

Plenty of "POC" have money. Maybe they're investing in Detroit and maybe they're not but what kind of racist are you to assume they either can't or won't?

(See how that works?)

40 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

trying not to CR this.  my response was in half jest at the stupidity of the rationale of the festival organizers reasoning to charging white double the price based.  was their reasoning philanthropic, capitalistic, or racist, or all of the above?

and i agree, the rebuilding is not a race matter, it's an access to money matter.  but yet, why aren't "rich" non-whites leading the change and rebuilding for a city that the organizers refer to as a "black" city (their own community (black Detroit)).  i'm sure there are non-whites doing their part, but from the discussions that i had with uber drivers (all of whom were black), business and property owners, it was non-blacks who were leading the change, buying properties and rebuilding them.  the black uber drivers moved away from detroit and only come back driving for uber.  none of them were moving back but bitched that white people were buying properties that were once black owned.  ok...

and gentrification happens.  it works both ways.  there are many parts in many cities that were once predominantly white but are now non-white.  same as there are parts which were once predominantly non-white but now are white.  it's called economics and time.

Edited by crash_davis
  • Like 3

I submit to the court that the ticket sellers probably didn't want to keep the Entire White Race out of the festival, the just wanted to skim more $ off the White trustafarians.

Their mistake was to explicitly state the ticket prices in terms of race. Rookie move.

They could have gotten the same results by selling $10 "cash tickets" at non-hipster venues like churches, traditional barbershops, corner stores. And also offer $20 tickets via a phone app for those who filter all interactions through devices.

They'll learn.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, crash_davis said:

trying not to CR this.  my response was in half jest at the stupidity of the rationale of the festival organizers reasoning to charging white double the price based.  was their reasoning philanthropic, capitalistic, or racist, or all of the above?

and i agree, the rebuilding is not a race matter, it's an access to money matter.  but yet, why aren't "rich" non-whites leading the change and rebuilding for a city that the organizers refer to as a "black" city (their own community (black Detroit)).  i'm sure there are non-whites doing their part, but from the discussions that i had with uber drivers (all of whom were black), business and property owners, it was non-blacks who were leading the change, buying properties and rebuilding them.  the black uber drivers moved away from detroit and only come back driving for uber.  none of them were moving back but bitched that white people were buying properties that were once black owned.  ok...

I mean, for all we know wealthy non-whites are contributing to the rebuilding of center city Detroit. I was just rolling with the parameters that you set for the discussion which was that blacks were persona non grata in the rebuild. Of course that's not true, but I didn't want to get into a discussion about what percentage of people helping gentrify Detroit are white/black/etc. It's a dumb argument and I doubt we'd find any data on it so we'd just end up going round and round. My entire point was simply that if the point you made were true (blacks are not helping rebuild Detroit), it's probably because the blacks that have moved out of Detroit can barely pay their electric bill, let alone buy real estate.

And that white real estate developers don't deserve to have a parade thrown for them because they're being capitalists and investing money to make money. It's what they do.

But to avoid threadjacking - obviously the different ticket prices for different races is stupid no matter who is getting a discount. 

Edited by BradInATX

i've been intrigued with detroit, in trying to understand how a city can basically implode.  my first uber ride from the airport, i asked the uber driver about why he thought the city went to shit.  damn, that dude was interesting.  he has a degree from wayne state university in detroit, i don't remember in what.  grew up in detroit but now lives in the burbs.  he gave me a long ass dissertation going back to the detroit riots in 1967 to white flight in the 70s to crack in the 80s which decimated the black communities which he also hinted at white man's plan to wreck black communities to corrupt mayors to death of american auto industry.  i asked him about the rebuilding and that's when he complained about white people buying up property in black communities.  he questioned dan gilbert's motives for spending all those billions revitalizing detroit.  it was an interesting conversation.  would have loved to grab a beer with him.

i also talked to another uber driver about matt stafford.  the dude HATED stafford.  don't know if it's true or not but he said most detroit lions fans hate stafford.  that's another topic.

3 hours ago, SquishMitten said:

Depends on how you phrase it. Not charging whites more, just giving discounts to minorities. We give discounts to the elderly, veterans, etc. Same kinda thing, just “minorities” is a less accurately defined class for the purposes of their argument. 

You could frame it that way, but the most precise synopsis is that you are charging one group more and one group less based on the color of their skin which is racist.  I thought we were trying to end racism?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

You could frame it that way, but the most precise synopsis is that you are charging one group more and one group less based on the color of their skin which is racist.  I thought we were trying to end racism?

I don't disagree with that. Hence my last sentence "...“minorities” is a less accurately defined class for the purposes of their argument." If their goal is truly as stated, they could accomplish it better by requiring you to show a paystub or something that has a direct correlation to wealth. Instead they made a blanket assumption - white people have more money than black people. Certainly not a factual assumption across the board, but I have no idea how true it is for their audience. Of the people attending the concert, there are undoubtedly many white folks that are just as poor, or poorer, than their black neighbors. Is it possible that 90% of the minorities attending the concert make less than 90% of the white people attending? Probably not, but based on local statistics the number is likely greater than 50% so it at least has some rational relationship.

Anyway, not really sure why I've spent so much time thinking about this. I don't at all believe it's right to base ticket price on race. But I don't think their stated goal is immoral, just that they need to implement it in a way that more accurately achieves that goal.

10 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

I don't disagree with that. Hence my last sentence "...“minorities” is a less accurately defined class for the purposes of their argument." If their goal is truly as stated, they could accomplish it better by requiring you to show a paystub or something that has a direct correlation to wealth. Instead they made a blanket assumption - white people have more money than black people. Certainly not a factual assumption across the board, but I have no idea how true it is for their audience. Of the people attending the concert, there are undoubtedly many white folks that are just as poor, or poorer, than their black neighbors. Is it possible that 90% of the minorities attending the concert make less than 90% of the white people attending? Probably not, but based on local statistics the number is likely greater than 50% so it at least has some rational relationship.

Anyway, not really sure why I've spent so much time thinking about this. I don't at all believe it's right to base ticket price on race. But I don't think their stated goal is immoral, just that they need to implement it in a way that more accurately achieves that goal.

You just anther craaaaaazee cracka'

33 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

In July of 1988, I saw Public Enemy and Run-DMC in concert at the Travis County Expo Center.  I don't remember what it cost, but I would have paid double.

because elvis was a hero to most but he never meant shit to you , because straight up racist that sucker was, simple and plain. mother fuck him and John Wayne?

22 hours ago, SquishMitten said:

I'll just leave this here: https://www.justice.gov/crt/title-ii-civil-rights-act-public-accommodations

On 7/9/2019 at 9:53 AM, SquishMitten said:

I'm guessing you're not a lawyer.