Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

1 hour ago, RGBIII said:

Super K says Eaton and Princely at visiting blowU this weekend. Not sure how serious princely is but Eaton is one to watch. Also had a non update on Collins saying he doesn’t know shit but everyone is confident 

Who else is visiting OU?  Tom probably sending them to recruit others.  

1 hour ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

I was incorrect, it was scipio who wrote about playing freshman. 

I don't have time to pull the data to back this up, but it makes sense to me that while playing a true freshman year, a player is more likely to be injured as a result of fatigue, technique deficiency, or being undersized. Players who do not see game time as a true freshman have the benefit of an added year of s&c and coaching to curb injury risk as more complete players. So the conclusion I am drawing is that the guys on our injury report have a higher likelihood of dealing with injuries as a result of playing as true freshman. That's a reasonable take. 

Scipio on OSU:

Caden Sterns went down late with what looks like a major injury and led the team in tackles with 12. His ability to range free from the Cover 2 shell plays to his strengths, but in this game tackling was decidedly not one of them. He blew three tackles on Sanders where he took bad angles, didn't acknowledge inside help and shoe dived. I think he wore down. It's possible he never fully recovered from his injuries that plagued him right up to Fall camp. This is the playing freshman early paradox I've written about. They show talent and ability, but a lack of physical preparation for the rigors of the game and a lack of "armor" virtually guarantee injuries that can lead to more down the road.

1 minute ago, Nowhichski said:

Scipio on OSU:

Caden Sterns went down late with what looks like a major injury and led the team in tackles with 12. His ability to range free from the Cover 2 shell plays to his strengths, but in this game tackling was decidedly not one of them. He blew three tackles on Sanders where he took bad angles, didn't acknowledge inside help and shoe dived. I think he wore down. It's possible he never fully recovered from his injuries that plagued him right up to Fall camp. This is the playing freshman early paradox I've written about. They show talent and ability, but a lack of physical preparation for the rigors of the game and a lack of "armor" virtually guarantee injuries that can lead to more down the road.

The tough decision about not starting talented true freshmen, is that if you don't play them their 1st year, you may only get the benefit of their talent for 2yrs and then they leave early for the NFL...

23 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

The tough decision about not starting talented true freshmen, is that if you don't play them their 1st year, you may only get the benefit of their talent for 2yrs and then they leave early for the NFL...

Or they get injured and you get less than a 100% healthy kid in the games in which he plays. Sterns has already shown regression this season most likely due to injuries. Maybe his body is just not optimal for the rigors of advanced level football. Especially considering the meteoric rise of low 3 star Chris Brown, and his ability to physically mature over the 1st 2 years of his career before being needed on the field. Currently the only players in his class that will be hands down better than him are Duvernay and Jones.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Or they get injured and you get less than a 100% healthy kid in the games in which he plays. Sterns has already shown regression this season most likely due to injuries. Maybe his body is just not optimal for the rigors of advanced level football. Especially considering the meteoric rise of low 3 star Chris Brown, and his ability to physically mature over the 1st 2 years of his career before being needed on the field. Currently the only players in his class that will be hands down better than him are Duvernay and Jones.

Is it a ridiculous idea to redshirt Sterns this season and let him get fully healthy/Yancied for a dominant season next year? 

1 minute ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Can we just stop with this shit?  If/when he's healthy he'll play.  You don't RS the best kid you have in the secondary.

If he's not healthy, risks getting re-injured every other game, and is regressing rather than getting better, seems like it's better for his own prospects and the team's to  give his body the time it needs. 

Herman has shown that he's pretty soft on injured players, hence all of the games missed. We need to get Moorer back and reopen the Pit for all these hurt pussies. Just digging ditches and filling them back up Cool Hand Luke style. I bet Sterns would be out on the field for OU if Herman makes him eat 50 hard boiled eggs. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Herman has shown that he's pretty soft on injured players, hence all of the games missed. We need to get Moorer back and reopen the Pit for all these hurt pussies. Just digging ditches and filling them back up Cool Hand Luke style. I bet Sterns would be out on the field for OU if Herman makes him eat 50 hard boiled eggs. 

No man can eat 50 eggs!

26 minutes ago, Nowhichski said:

Is it a ridiculous idea to redshirt Sterns this season and let him get fully healthy/Yancied for a dominant season next year? 

Yes, it is ridiculous IMO. This is not College Station - We play to win this year, and we’ll need him back to close out conference play, win a conference title, and play in a major bowl or beyond.

Whether or not any of that happens is irrelevant, that is the goal.

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

No doubt players bodies develop at different paces.  Some players are physically ready to play much earlier than others.  

But acting like Caden should not have been on the field as a true freshmen as some folks have implied (not  @HtownHorn ) is a bad take.  Now should Caden have played when he was banged up is a fair discussion.  But any player playing hurt whether they are a freshman or senior jeopardizes their physical wellbeing...

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

My guess is it's overreaction to JQJ slamming somebody hard on DMs behind the scenes. Probably Demas or some such. We may never known. We should almost definitely never really care.

Honestly, anyone saying they would pass on Demas is not smart. He made a bad decision, but he has been solid in his commitment, tries to lead, and is 100% bought in (on the surface) to his program and his school. He has enough cred with this class that I highly doubt anyone would call him out like that. It is probably some of the other bread that aggy has in their class, or maybe that kid that committed to Auburn? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Vertigo said:

Honestly, anyone saying they would pass on Demas is not smart. He made a bad decision, but he has been solid in his commitment, tries to lead, and is 100% bought in (on the surface) to his program and his school. He has enough cred with this class that I highly doubt anyone would call him out like that. It is probably some of the other bread that aggy has in their class, or maybe that kid that committed to Auburn? 

I don't think there's anyone saying they would pass on Demas, but I would argue that he made a cynical business decision, not necessarily a "bad" one. If his goal was personal development, winning championships, becoming a better all-around football player and person, well... fail city. But if it was to make a lot of money and be a big fish in a small pond? Hey, great!

1 minute ago, BurdineBandit said:

I'm being told Evans tried to get back into the group chats but JQJ told him were good with Bijan so that caused the "ready to commit" tweet from Evans. Now everybody's laughing bc it's well known Evans is only committing after having his backup option pulled out from under him. And also we're getting Ringo. Or so I've been told. By sources.  

“That’s good shit.  How can I subscribe to your...”

4 minutes ago, BurdineBandit said:

I'm being told Evans tried to get back into the group chats but JQJ told him were good with Bijan so that caused the "ready to commit" tweet from Evans. Now everybody's laughing bc it's well known Evans is only committing after having his backup option pulled out from under him. And also we're getting Ringo. Or so I've been told. By sources.  

u-g-F5EYCR0.jpg?w=550&h=550&p=0

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, BurdineBandit said:

spacer.png

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Oh yeah that reminds of this gif I made awhile back but then other people made some better ones and the volleyball gif market got saturated and I kind of forgot to post it by the time Eaton announced 

If ever there was a sure fire tweet that a recruit would enjoy.. 

1 hour ago, BurdineBandit said:

We know you've got them admissions/advising sources for the One Who Got Away, but your group chat sources are not well established.