Mack Brown's Legacy

Born Burnt

Mack Brown's Legacy  

278 members have voted

1. 1. Now that's he's been gone over four years, what are your feelings about Mack?

• Brought the program back to prominence…that's why he's a Longhorn Legend.
    • Did some good things, did some bad.
    • Got fat and lazy. Stayed too long.
    • Will never forgive him for leaving like a baby back bitch.
    • All of the above, dipshit.

Probably not a popular opinion but think, as an "outsider" it's easy to ask - Where would Texas have been in the 2000's with a different coach? And part of that is naming the different coach. It's too easy to say he stayed too long etc... but his record is pretty darn good including a MNC. Obviously he had some huge blowout losses against rivals but a whole lot of schools would take his record over who they had. Trying hard to remember who else was available back in 1997 and not coming up with a lot. You can always wish you hired Saban instead of MSu grabbing him around that time but he was not well known. Stoops was actually the "hot" assistant but he was still at Florida when Brown was hired. Not coming up with a lot of names that would have been a better choice in 1997. 

All of the above in the poll is an acceptable answer to me

Edited by AUinHsv
  • Like 1

Mack helped resurrect Texas football. He helped bring is a Heisman, a BCS Championship and numerous 10+ win seasons. If he would have left after 2009 or if he would have just tried the next 2 years even the Shag would overlooked his weaknesses (ousux, greg davis, cookies, scared to death, etc.)

I voted for all 4 as well, because all 4 are true. He lost to OUsux too much, kept Greg Davis too long, was a gigantic pussy, but was also a highly successful coach that finally took us back to a title and created fantastically memorable games that I am extraordinarily grateful for. Bringing him back in the fold is probably a good decision.

Edited by TheFlyingBoat

Mack is proof that you can be the right guy at the right time and still go on to be the wrong guy at the wrong time. Tim Brewster's tone deaf Twitter campaign at aggy is further proof; Mack (via Brewster) brought us Vince and a national championship. Also brought the program to its knees post-Darius. One hell of a salesman, but also one hell of a bitchass.

• Like 7

51 minutes ago, AUinHsv said:

Probably not a popular opinion but think, as an "outsider" it's easy to ask - Where would Texas have been in the 2000's with a different coach? And part of that is naming the different coach. It's too easy to say he stayed too long etc... but his record is pretty darn good including a MNC. Obviously he had some huge blowout losses against rivals but a whole lot of schools would take his record over who they had. Trying hard to remember who else was available back in 1997 and not coming up with a lot. You can always wish you hired Saban instead of MSu grabbing him around that time but he was not well known. Stoops was actually the "hot" assistant but he was still at Florida when Brown was hired. Not coming up with a lot of names that would have been a better choice in 1997. 

All of the above in the poll is an acceptable answer to me

gary barnett was the other option iirc

He was not in DKR’s class, but he was the next tier down and easily the 2nd best coach in our history. He was a bitch at the end, but I would be too if hanging around an extra few years meant $15 million. All in all, very happy he is part of our history and not another school.

27 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Mack is proof that you can be the right guy at the right time and still go on to be the wrong guy at the wrong time. Tim Brewster's tone deaf Twitter campaign at aggy is further proof; Mack (via Brewster) brought us Vince and a national championship. Also brought the program to its knees post-Darius. One hell of a salesman, but also one hell of a bitchass.

Well said. I agree with all of this.

1 hour ago, Call said:

He was a little bitch at the end of his run, but I don’t hate the man and respect what he did for the program all in all in the earlier years. 

Clap clap clap 

Agreed.  Definitely brought us back to prominence, but I wish he would have left after 2009 since he obviously wasn't giving any Fucks.

1 hour ago, 6th Street said:

He is like Knute Rockne compared to Charlie Strong and John Mackovic. 

Mack Brown more embodies what a great coach can get out of athletes that have a passion for the school...

Some coaches in the profession, wouldn't know how to coach up good athletes if they walked on at the program (as in the latest Arizona State) hire...

Mack went out of his way to spite the program on his way out. It is going to take some time for some of us to forgive him for that.

Agreed. For all he did to resurrect the program, he destroyed his legacy in my eyes for how he acted on the way out.
  • Like 2

Fuck Mack. He was not a good coach.  He did recruit some good players but as far as X’s and O’s he was terrible. A good personality but not a good coach.  Plus he was a bitch ass whiner. 

Edited by CTC2
  • Like 1

He had a weird arc. 

His teams underperformed for several years, highlighted by five straight losses to ou, two of which were the most embarrassing displays I've ever seen by any team I care about.

Then we had an absolutely great six-year run.  Four BCS bowls and three wins.  A national title, another that was stolen by an injury, and another chance that was stolen by voters.  But we were finally where we should always be - contending most of the time and still winning 10 even in the rebuilding years.

Then the wheels came off.  Mack became surly and allowed entitlement to fester.  In the last couple of years, he quit recruiting and our classes dropped into the 20s.  He somehow managed to leave the program worse than he found it.

I still maintain that Colt's injury ruined Mack.  I suspect his plan was to beat Alabama and ride off into the sunset.  I could be wrong about that, but regardless, the man was never the same after that.  It broke his heart and his will followed.

So, overall, it has to be said that Mack's teams underperformed more often than they met expectations.  There's no denying it.  

It's also worth noting that I always trusted Mack to represent us well in the media and run a clean program.  The importance of these things cannot be overstated.

But "legend" is a strong word.  I don't think 1 natty and 2 conference titles in 16 years is enough to get that title.  Not at Texas.

• Like 6

All of the above. Mack did some great things, but he stayed too long and damaged his own legacy here, along with the program itself. I do believe his legacy will improve with time  

So far, there hasn't been enough fart spray to get his shit smell out of the program. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

He had a weird arc. 

His teams underperformed for several years, highlighted by five straight losses to ou, two of which were the most embarrassing displays I've ever seen by any team I care about.

Then we had an absolutely great six-year run.  Four BCS bowls and three wins.  A national title, another that was stolen by an injury, and another chance that was stolen by voters.  But we were finally where we should always be - contending most of the time and still winning 10 even in the rebuilding years.

Then the wheels came off.  Mack became surly and allowed entitlement to fester.  In the last couple of years, he quit recruiting and our classes dropped into the 20s.  He somehow managed to leave the program worse than he found it.

I still maintain that Colt's injury ruined Mack.  I suspect his plan was to beat Alabama and ride off into the sunset.  I could be wrong about that, but regardless, the man was never the same after that.  It broke his heart and his will followed.

So, overall, it has to be said that Mack's teams underperformed more often than they met expectations.  There's no denying it.  

It's also worth noting that I always trusted Mack to represent us well in the media and run a clean program.  The importance of these things cannot be overstated.

But "legend" is a strong word.  I don't think 1 natty and 2 conference titles in 16 years is enough to get that title.  Not at Texas.

Agree.

• Like 1

I would have had him an inch closer to DKR had he not napalmed recruiting on the way out. That was the move of a small petty man and made me lose a lot of respect for the many accomplishments he had while here. It honestly set us back for several years which is exactly what I think he wanted. I think it will take Texas winning another championship for most people to see him as a beloved figure instead of a friend who betrayed the university.

• Like 1

He's no longer coaching the team and he's not AD. Anything CDC or anyone else wants to involve him with is ok by me. He did bring home the bacon after a 30 year drought, and almost got another..can't take that away from him.

1 hour ago, TexArcher said:

So, what other coaches have won national titles?  Doesn't take long to call roll, does it?

Looks like we have exactly one legendary coach, then.  The Brown. Then Akers?

2 hours ago, TexArcher said:

Only one coach at Texas that has reach "LEGEND" status.

Had Mack left after the 2009 season, he would have been very well thought of.

As far as coaching goes, the best decisions he ever made was to leave guys like Ricky and Vince alone and let them do what they did best.   Best as I can recall, he did not recruit either of them, even though he did recruit a lot of outstanding players for a number of years, especially early on (not so much toward the end).

Edited by dcbc

Smart move even though he should absolutely be exiled for how he sabotaged the program on the way out.

He still holds a lot favor in some very powerful circles and by allowing him to appear important it makes it easier on everyone. Now if they want to put up a statue of him I'll flip

I will never understand how we were such a good road team (for the most part) but shit the bed so often against ou.  Credit for the Vince-Colt run, but damn, I still feel like we wasted so much talent before Vince.

We have to remember that we are the 2%ers.  The other 98% of horns were never aware of mack's bitchassedness, they never perceived the GDGD offense as deficient.  0u won in 2004 because they were better, not because we manufactured zero points with Benson and Young on the same field.

98% of horns are not going to perceive any problem with CDC bringing Mack back in to the fold.  So we have to pick our battles, and this is one that I don't think we need to fight, at this time.

• Like 2

Did a lot of good but like stated earlier we wasted a lot of talent and end damaged him a lot.

So much coulda,woulda in his tenure 

Major/simms colorado game and 2008 and colts injury...he could have been a legend 

He will be remembered well in future for what he did but man it could have been so so much more

We have to remember that we are the 2%ers.  The other 98% of horns were never aware of mack's bitchassedness, they never perceived the GDGD offense as deficient.  0u won in 2004 because they were better, not because we manufactured zero points with Benson and Young on the same field.
98% of horns are not going to perceive any problem with CDC bringing Mack back in to the fold.  So we have to pick our battles, and this is one that I don't think we need to fight, at this time.

Agree with all that and actually think we should welcome it as well for utilitarian reasons. Mack in exile is still dangerous. Mack feeling like he's special and important can be valuable. Herman and CDC are either shrewd enough to recognize this or they just really like Mack. Either way I think it's the correct play.
  • Like 1

People complaining and saying fuck Mack etc do understand he took us to two nation championships (if Colt doesn’t get hurt we win 2) and you do know where the program was right before him?   Also that his last three years here we haven’t equaled one of those years in wins yet....   Did he reach his peak at UT a few years before sure, but this hate bs come the fuck on.   

Edited by Hook1997
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

I’m still a “Fuck Mack Brown” guy, and I likely be for the forseeable future. 

Having said that, this is the correct take. 

• Like 1

2nd best winning record (w sufficient sample size) for one of the biggest football programs in history....

During my time on campus, Texas won 10+ games, was in national championship contention every year, racking up 2 straight legendary-BCS-games, culminating with the crystal trophy.

How many fans have had that experience?

For that, they should erect a statue of him outside the stadium, as far as I'm concerned.

• Like 3