Trivial things that make you surly

elfenix

3 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Brazil nuts are nasty and, by far, my least favorite nut; it used to irritate me to no end, how much their numbers dominated the mixed nut cans. 

That’s fine if you feel that way. A lot of people don’t like them. I’ll buy a jar of peanuts or a bag of almonds. I wouldn’t buy just Brazil nuts or cashews. Probably not hazelnuts either but that might be negotiable. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen that as a possibility but they sort of fall in the middle, I suppose. I can eat a jar of macadamia nuts or a bag of pistachios. Neither of those belong in a can of mixed nuts.

But if you’re advertising your mixed nuts as including Brazil nuts and only including two nuts in the can (yeah, yeah, I get the obvious joke there) then that’s false advertising. And if someone argues that it’s justified because they’re dangerous then that person kind of looks like a fool. Include them or don’t. Don’t half-ass it. 

• Rage+1 1

I had a kid who did really well my estimating department, but he needed field experience, so we put him a jobsite expecting to get him back in a few years.

We've been talking about getting him back since middle of last year - every time it's a promise of a few more months to do one more thing...  I found out today that he quit to work as an estimator at a different company. I am FUCKING PISSED because he was a really good worker, WANTED to come back to my department, but fucking management fucked him around, and now he's doing exactly what both he and I wanted him to do, but at a different company.

I'm drinking heavily tonight.

• Like 2

Creating in depth presentations to report to management and others what you are working on that end up taking more time to create than it did to finish the task at hand itself.
I do financial outlooks for the businesses I support. It usually takes me anywhere from 30 minutes to a couple hours sitting down with the GM's to come to an agreement on what the number should be. It then takes me days...literally multiple days...to get that number loaded into our system for reporting. On top of that, right now we are converting to a new system so I get to load that number twice. This is real value add work here.

3 minutes ago, Okie State said:

I do financial outlooks for the businesses I support. It usually takes me anywhere from 30 minutes to a couple hours sitting down with the GM's to come to an agreement on what the number should be. It then takes me days...literally multiple days...to get that number loaded into our system for reporting. On top of that, right now we are converting to a new system so I get to load that number twice. This is real value add work here.

giphy.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

That’s fine if you feel that way. A lot of people don’t like them. I’ll buy a jar of peanuts or a bag of almonds. I wouldn’t buy just Brazil nuts or cashews. Probably not hazelnuts either but that might be negotiable. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen that as a possibility but they sort of fall in the middle, I suppose. I can eat a jar of macadamia nuts or a bag of pistachios. Neither of those belong in a can of mixed nuts.

But if you’re advertising your mixed nuts as including Brazil nuts and only including two nuts in the can (yeah, yeah, I get the obvious joke there) then that’s false advertising. And if someone argues that it’s justified because they’re dangerous then that person kind of looks like a fool. Include them or don’t. Don’t half-ass it. 

Goddam...that is truly trivial.  Well done!

19 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

This reminds me of the scene in Best Little Whorehouse where Melvin P. Thorpe is telling the sherriff about his successful crusade to get the candy bar maker to put all of the nuts in each candy bar that they advertise. "I'm not talking pieces; I mean full nuts!" as he stuffs socks down his rhinestoned out pants and puts on his ridiculous hat.  Full nuts!

• Haha 1

Watching Astros at Twins on Fox tonight.  Thunderstorms/ rain are predicted to hit the area around 10PM tonight.

They have the notice in the upper right corner of the screen, but that's not enough.  Gotta beep some tones like every 60 seconds.

If a motherfucker can't look out the window and tell that it is raining, then fuck em.  That shit is going to be going  for the whole game because... dumbasses.

On 6/11/2021 at 1:57 PM, WhatTheBuck said:

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, RPM said:

Dipshits that schedule mandatory training without considering 3rd shift has to fucking sleep.

is it immediately following your shift, or do they want you go home and then return for the training, and then go home again?

19 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

These sensor based sink faucets and hand dryers. Fuck off with that shit.

Are you insane? I know a Kroger store in Hilliard, OH where, if you need to take a leak, you can walk down a little hallway to enter the restroom without having to open a door. The urinal auto-flushes. The faucets, the soap dispenser, the warm air hand dryer, they’re all operated by sensor. You literally don’t have to touch anything but your own junk the whole time. (Other than the soap and water, of course.)

I think that’s brilliant. 

4 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Are you insane? I know a Kroger store in Hilliard, OH where, if you need to take a leak, you can walk down a little hallway to enter the restroom without having to open a door. The urinal auto-flushes. The faucets, the soap dispenser, the warm air hand dryer, they’re all operated by sensor. You literally don’t have to touch anything but your own junk the whole time. (Other than the soap and water, of course.)

I think that’s brilliant. 

Seemingly 95% of the ones I use do not work. You put your hands under there and it washes or dries for about 3 seconds at a time. And you keep having to put your habds back and forth.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Seemingly 95% of the ones I use do not work. You put your hands under there and it washes or dries for about 3 seconds at a time. And you keep having to put your habds back and forth.

I’ve never had that experience. In fact, the ones I see now are extra high powered air jets that dry your hands really fast. No stacks of paper towels by the sink that are partially moist from previous users, no paper towel dispensers that may or may not let you tear out a full sheet. No paper towel waste. And I’m old enough to remember when we dried our hands on one long towel that circulated through a dispenser.

And think about that sink faucet handle. You just handled your stanky dick, maybe even dribbled some piss on your fingers, then touched and contaminated that handle. That handle isn’t getting any cleaner even after you or I wash our hands and have to touch it again to turn it off. What a cesspool of bacterial foulness that could be. I’m thrilled anytime I don’t have to touch any surface in a public restroom. 

1 hour ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I’ve never had that experience. In fact, the ones I see now are extra high powered air jets that dry your hands really fast. No stacks of paper towels by the sink that are partially moist from previous users, no paper towel dispensers that may or may not let you tear out a full sheet. No paper towel waste. And I’m old enough to remember when we dried our hands on one long towel that circulated through a dispenser.

And think about that sink faucet handle. You just handled your stanky dick, maybe even dribbled some piss on your fingers, then touched and contaminated that handle. That handle isn’t getting any cleaner even after you or I wash our hands and have to touch it again to turn it off. What a cesspool of bacterial foulness that could be. I’m thrilled anytime I don’t have to touch any surface in a public restroom. 

I’m with you on all points except the dryers.

Air dryers are simply heating and blowing all that bacteria in a bathroom onto your hands. They’re super spreaders. A bathroom air dryer is about the worst possible invention ever for a germophobe. Even worse than those single loop towel dryers you referenced (which they still used in parts of Europe before C19). 

Given the choice between an air dryer and nothing, I’m choosing nothing every time. Far more hygienic to either drip-dry or use your pants. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, nnm said:

Air dryers are simply heating and blowing all that bacteria in a bathroom onto your hands. They’re super spreaders. A bathroom air dryer is about the worst possible invention ever for a germophobe. Even worse than those single loop towel dryers you referenced (which they still used in parts of Europe before C19). 

Given the choice between an air dryer and nothing, I’m choosing nothing every time. Far more hygienic to either drip-dry or use your pants. 

Yep. The air driers are horrible. Even worse, it does not help you if YOU have enough sense not to use them, if anybody ELSE uses them then they are spreading stuff all around that you get to breathe.

17 minutes ago, nnm said:

Explain to me how a warm air dryer spreads bacteria from my clean hands.

Good luck with that. Just because you’re a germaphobe doesn’t mean you’re thinking logically. It’s actually the opposite.

Stay out of my restroom, freak.