Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

12 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

They literally moved to the place in Texas with the strictest lockdown measures.

This had nothing to do with fucking covid, and everything to do with Austin/Texas is cheaper and has a large pool of talent

Better poontang?

18 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Doesn’t sound good for him that he’s been hospitalized for 10 days and the report is that his separated wife stays in contact with the doctors on his condition.

She wants to save money on her divorce attorneys. Which, as a divorce attorney, I am strictly against. So I'm pulling to Larry. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Yep, it's definitely all the fatties and not the idiots refusing to wear a face mask and socially distance that's REALLY driving the pandemic

No but when it's been shown that fatties die at 12x the clip of those that aren't AND you add in the fact they also don't wear masks at same clip as others (at least based on videos etc I have seen).

People acting like being obese is a healthy lifestyle choice is what is crazy. There is a reason obesity has been given priority for the CV19 vaccine. Magazines trying to make it seem like some kind of "healthy" way of living is nuts.

• Hook 'Em 3

10 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Yep, it's definitely all the fatties and not the idiots refusing to wear a face mask and socially distance that's REALLY driving the pandemic

One has to do with transmission, and the other has to do with severity.  People should be wearing masks and socially distancing, when possible, to reduce the spread.  People should not be morbidly obese to reduce the severity when they get it. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

No but when it's been shown that fatties die at 12x the clip of those that aren't AND you add in the fact they also don't wear masks at same clip as others (at least based on videos etc I have seen).

People acting like being obese is a healthy lifestyle choice is what is crazy. There is a reason obesity has been given priority for the CV19 vaccine. Magazines trying to make it seem like some kind of "healthy" way of living is nuts.

I don't see many posters on here arguing that being obese is a healthy lifestyle choice, because it certainly isn't, and is the single biggest pressure on the US healthcare system in my opinion. But I don't understand why you'd single out this decades-long, generational issue as THE problem that the US uniquely faces in handling the pandemic. As opposed to a toe to tip failure of leadership, coordination, and messaging to effectively manage and mitigate the pandemic, which in turn inspires the bad and anti-social behavior of refusing to wear facemasks and engage in other risky behaviors. 

Addressing obesity IS something that's important and the last time it was made an issue, there were nothing but complaints of "tHe GoVeRnMeNt CaNt TeLl Me HoW tO fEeD mY cHiLd". So I don't disagree with anything you're saying, but I do think you should stop distracting from the actual issue in this pandemic of a significant portion of the population just straight up refusing to do the barest minimum to protect their neighbor and fellow citizen.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just now, Captainant said:

I don't see many posters on here arguing that being obese is a healthy lifestyle choice, because it certainly isn't, and is the single biggest pressure on the US healthcare system in my opinion. But I don't understand why you'd single out this decades-long, generational issue as THE problem that the US uniquely faces in handling the pandemic. As opposed to a toe to tip failure of leadership, coordination, and messaging to effectively manage and mitigate the pandemic, which in turn inspires the bad and anti-social behavior of refusing to wear facemasks and engage in other risky behaviors. 

Addressing obesity IS something that's important and the last time it was made an issue, there were nothing but complaints of "tHe GoVeRnMeNt CaNt TeLl Me HoW tO fEeD mY cHiLd". So I don't disagree with anything you're saying, but I do think you should stop distracting from the actual issue in this pandemic of a significant portion of the population just straight up refusing to do the barest minimum to protect their neighbor and fellow citizen.

Don't disagree that a ton of folks are complete and utter idiots in regards to masks and their usage. If nothing else, even if you don't believe they help just acknowledge the fact that as a citizenry we are being asked to wear them. Much like we wear shoes in a restaurant/store. I think people are acting like selfish ass clowns.

I also think that the masses (pun not intended) of Americans who are obese is contributing to a worsening of the overall CV19 impact from a deaths/long term hospitalization. Seeing a prominent magazine posit that Obesity is a healthy choice is completely ridiculous and indicative of why the US has had such a bad go with Covid. The bulk of deaths <60 are from those that are obese and here magazines are lauding it as a healthy lifestyle. I get they have done the math at their market and said "well shit, half of the women in America are fat so let's sell some magazines" but Jesus fuck.

• Hook 'Em 1

Scientists in South Africa say there is a "reasonable concern" that the new variant of Covid-19 sweeping across the country might prove to be more resistant to current vaccines being rolled out in the UK and elsewhere, and warn that it makes the need for a global roll-out of vaccines "even more critical".
"It's a theoretical concern. A reasonable concern… that the South African variant might be more resistant," Prof Shabir Madhi, who has led trials for the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine in South Africa, told the BBC.
Prof Madhi was responding to comments by the UK government and scientists. He said a definitive answer would probably come in a matter of weeks, with extensive testing already under way in South Africa.
The concern arises from the fact that the virus here has mutated far more than the variant in the UK, and one of those mutations might mean it can evade attack by antibodies that would normally fight coronavirus.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-55531838

1 hour ago, Parliament said:

Scientists in South Africa say there is a "reasonable concern" that the new variant of Covid-19 sweeping across the country might prove to be more resistant to current vaccines being rolled out in the UK and elsewhere, and warn that it makes the need for a global roll-out of vaccines "even more critical".
"It's a theoretical concern. A reasonable concern… that the South African variant might be more resistant," Prof Shabir Madhi, who has led trials for the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine in South Africa, told the BBC.
Prof Madhi was responding to comments by the UK government and scientists. He said a definitive answer would probably come in a matter of weeks, with extensive testing already under way in South Africa.
The concern arises from the fact that the virus here has mutated far more than the variant in the UK, and one of those mutations might mean it can evade attack by antibodies that would normally fight coronavirus.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-55531838

Sounds like worry with no evidence as of yet. 

• Like 1

This has to be fake news

https://www.cnn.com/world/live-news/coronavirus-pandemic-vaccine-updates-01-05-21/h_3690ed33c0ebc7efaf094f296aa79ecd

With intensive care units at Southern California hospitals nearly full because of the Covid-19 pandemic, the Los Angeles County Emergency Medical Services Agency (EMS) has directed ambulance crews not to transport patients with little chance of survival to hospitals, and to conserve the use of oxygen.

Los Angeles and Southern California are dealing with one of the country's worst outbreaks of the novel coronavirus. ICU bed capacity plunged to 0% in Southern California last month, as more and more people were admitted to hospital seeking treatment for Covid-19. 

As of Monday evening, there were 7,544 people hospitalized in Los Angeles due to Covid-19 and just 17 available adult ICU beds, according to county health data. Due to the shortage of beds, the county EMS said patients whose hearts have stopped, despite efforts of resuscitation, should no longer be transported to hospitals.

Oxygen shortage: A shortage of oxygen in Los Angeles and the nearby San Joaquin Valley, thanks to Covid-19, is putting immense pressure on the system and forcing paramedics to conserve the supply.

In order to maintain normal circulation of the blood to organs and tissue needed for the body to function, EMS said an oxygen saturation of at least 90% will be sufficient. 

California Gov. Gavin Newsom formed a task force to address the issue last week. It is working with local and state partners to help refill oxygen tanks and mobilize them to hospitals and facilities most in need.

On a related note, US hit record number of hospitalizations. 

https://www.cnn.com/world/live-news/coronavirus-pandemic-vaccine-updates-01-05-21/h_e28c89bb60c3c8c520c5b0273cc57e6a

The United States reported 128,210 current Covid-19 hospitalizations on Monday, setting a new record high since the pandemic began, according to the Covid Tracking Project (CTP).

This is the 34th consecutive day that the US has remained above 100,000 current hospitalizations.

According to CTP data, the highest hospitalization numbers were recorded on these days:

1. Jan. 4: 128,210 
  2. Jan. 3: 125,544 
  3. Dec. 31: 125,379 
  4. Dec. 30: 125,218 
  5. Jan. 1: 125,047

7 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

On a related note, US hit record number of hospitalizations. 

https://www.cnn.com/world/live-news/coronavirus-pandemic-vaccine-updates-01-05-21/h_e28c89bb60c3c8c520c5b0273cc57e6a

The United States reported 128,210 current Covid-19 hospitalizations on Monday, setting a new record high since the pandemic began, according to the Covid Tracking Project (CTP).

This is the 34th consecutive day that the US has remained above 100,000 current hospitalizations.

According to CTP data, the highest hospitalization numbers were recorded on these days:

1. Jan. 4: 128,210 
  2. Jan. 3: 125,544 
  3. Dec. 31: 125,379 
  4. Dec. 30: 125,218 
  5. Jan. 1: 125,047

I don't want to steal cheeseweasel's bit, but I'm pretty sure this is what bodies in trees looks like. LA rationing access to hospital facilities isn't going to be the only instance of insufficient care available. Small town Texas and anyplace without a hospital nearby have been seeing a 20% higher rate of mortality. Fuck around and find out, indeed. 

1 minute ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Dumb question alert: we have 20x the confirmed cases as South Africa and 10x the cases as UK. You mean we haven’t had any new variant in the US? I know the SA and UK ones are already here...but how have we not had our own special variant by now?

It’s entirely possible we have some new variant. 
I think it’s just everyone from public figures (Trump-no mask/crazy medicine to Newsome - dining indoors at French Laundry sans mask) to the muh rights crowd and shit everyone in between have just goat fucked the response to this. 
Throw in constant medical updates that seem to change protocol with no unified national response and you get the hamhanded cluster we are in. 
I think American mulishness is the issue vs any variant. We are a nation of fat, instant gratification expecting mofos this virus runs completely counter to that. It’s a marathon and we are weak. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Dumb question alert: we have 20x the confirmed cases as South Africa and 10x the cases as UK. You mean we haven’t had any new variant in the US? I know the SA and UK ones are already here...but how have we not had our own special variant by now?

because we don't test for variants, tests are +/- and no further looking into it.
UK found the variant because their national health system tests to determine which strain people have
kind of back to the old - if we didn't test so much we wouldn't have so many + tests

because we don't test for variants, tests are +/- and no further looking into it.
UK found the variant because their national health system tests to determine which strain people have
kind of back to the old - if we didn't test so much we wouldn't have so many + tests

Gotcha. So it’s probably out there after 10s of millions infections

14 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Can we make an exception for boob jobs?

Yes, this.  In fact, wasn't Harris County where the first commercially available elective-augmentations were performed?  Before that it was only for reconstruction purposes at some back east hospital groups.  But then 'the Breast Men' started up in Houston after they got their FDA approval and did like dozens a day?  We must preserve history!  

5 minutes ago, Newdoc said:

How much bigger are you going? Saline or silicone?

Left Breast-Saline.  Right Breast-Silicone.  Middle Breast on Mars---Dealer's Choice. 

Predictions: the magic number of when the pandemic ends in the US is 70,000,000 vaccinated.  Specific to Texas, 6,000,000.  7 day MA of cases in US will peak this week.  US Hospitalizations will peak Jan 22.    Hospitalizations will be below pre-pandemic levels by Memorial Day.  The CDC will declare the pandemic over by Labor Day.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Snake Diggity said:

Predictions: the magic number of when the pandemic ends in the US is 70,000,000 vaccinated.  Specific to Texas, 6,000,000.  7 day MA of cases in US will peak this week.  US Hospitalizations will peak Jan 22.    Hospitalizations will be below pre-pandemic levels by Memorial Day.  The CDC will declare the pandemic over by Labor Day.

I posted a similar prediction awhile back myself. I think the number is probably closer to 100k vaccinated before we really see an almost flatlining of cases. Although we're going to see deaths drop precipitously probably in the next month or so due to vaccination of high risk groups. 

Generally agree with your Memorial Day/Labor Day framework. I might be less optimistic than you by a month, but I think by Memorial Day, normal society is going to be open again. 

• Hook 'Em 2

It would be interesting to know what the break down of vaccines given by age is.  There are ~12 million 65 or older Texans, and according to the Bloomberg tracker we’ve given out about 9 million doses.  Just don’t know how many of them are front line workers vs elderly.  The vaccine starts showing effectiveness after about 2 weeks even before the second dose is given.  So there really is a chance that at least mortality rate could drop pretty quickly in the next couple weeks. How you’re right about that prediction. 

One of my employees is somehow lined up to get one because his mom works at some school district, they are getting it, and a few have opted out so they opened it up to family to fill the gaps. 

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away