Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

2 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

Agreed. Everyone I've ever met with a 3D printer, and my old company sold them, is itching like a junkie to use them for anything. Whatever. Whenever. For whoever.

Some of the new resin-based 3D printers can make some pretty fucking strong and actually usable parts. It'll be very interesting to see how we manage to address missing healthcare devices since many american households have tiny manufacturing plants in them 

3 hours ago, BradInATX said:

Hays County is absolutely fucked.

Hays put on the no-more-than-10-people-gatherings law yesterday.  My two neighborhood bars (Jack's, Zelick's) are shut down voluntarily.  I think we'll be OK as long as the students don't come back.

[mention=593]Brisketexan[/mention] to the white courtesy phone...
https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/17/politics/us-canada-suspend-travel/index.html

Yes, we’re following it. And that SOB needs to not fucking tweet about a plan that doesn’t have final details yet. For fuck’s sake.
The expectation is that repatriations will still be allowed. Transportation schedules will likely be significantly reduced, so our flight or train options will be more limited. She’s planning on coming home this weekend, and it looks like the airlines are planning on continuing routes through that period.
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Beau Vine said:

Hays put on the no-more-than-10-people-gatherings law yesterday.  My two neighborhood bars (Jack's, Zelick's) are shut down voluntarily.  I think we'll be OK as long as the students don't come back.

Yep, agree with you. But they are and how the hell are they going to be fed? International students being told no more dorms, etc... .

@Beau Vine  Sucks about Zelicks. Will buy the first round when things normalize. Been talking with a friend about doing front porch happy hours. And keep an eye on the food bank. I think they are going to get into trouble fast. 

1 minute ago, Pato del Muerto said:

WY has 10 confirmed cases so either that map is not up to date or bno newsroom has no idea where Wyoming is on the map

Ask someone to point out Nunavut on a map.  Is there really much of a difference between the 2?  

Welp, we all knew it 

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/18/psychological-reason-why-gen-x-is-taking-covid-19-pandemic-seriously.html

“Millennials and seniors aren’t too worried about their risk of contracting COVID-19, according to a recent Harris poll on 2,000 adults. In fact, 77% of adults over 65 and 67% of millennials (those born between 1981 and 1996) said they’re “unlikely” to catch the virus, which has infected at least 189,000 people around the globe.

So, who is taking COVID-19 seriously? Possibly Gen X, who those born between 1965 and 1980 according to Pew Research Center, often referred to as the “sandwich generation” because they’re between millennials and baby boomers. On social media this weekend, the hashtag “GenX” trended, with the “latchkey generation” saying that they were the most prepared to live in isolation.

From a psychological perspective, there might be some truth to this argument.

“Every generation will react differently [to COVID-19] based on the experiences that generation has had,” Paul Gionfriddo, president and CEO of the nonprofit Mental Health America tells CNBC Make It.

One theory is that Gen X might have more experience working through tumultuous times, as they were in the workforce during other pivotal times like 9/11 and the 2008 stock market crash. 

And amid the COVID-19 pandemic, many Gen X-ers who are responsible for running households, taking care of children and caring for elderly parents must assume the brunt of stress.

“The sandwich generation is concerned about parents and children, and they are also the working generation that is concerned about how they’re going to pay the bills next month,” Gionfriddo says. In other words, they don’t have a choice but to take COVID-19 more seriously.”

• Like 6

So this is awesome. Killeen ISD still plans to resume classes Monday. I saw the superintendents press conference yesterday

and he was asked about social distancing. His answer was basically this is an opportunity for teachers to teach students 

about hygiene and that we need a sense of normalcy. 

This jackass is going to get people killed.  

https://www.kwtx.com/content/news/Largest-area-district-plans-to-resume-classes-Monday-educators-balk-568868281.html

• Like 4

9 hours ago, mchookem said:

gotdammit the discussion of takeout is killing me...i haven't mentioned it yet, but my house is under construction. like, we started a major remodel, including kitchen, living, master bed/bath, literally last monday. i can't cook, wash dishes, etc. we are 'living' in a guest bed/bathroom.

if we get one of those 'shelter in place' orders...my god we are so fucked. 

i've been doing fine, telling myself it will be fine. ..but this morning i had a meltdown. i'm not far from a serious freak out. there's nothing i can do about it. i mean, i don't even know WHAT to do. last monday seems like an eternity.

Buy a set top induction cook top ($59) a pressure cooker (~$50) and an air fryer over ($99) and you have an instant kitchen, all 120v so regular outlets will do. You could also get a garage style stand up basin sink to wash dishes ($80) if the bathroom sink isn't large enough, hook it to a hose bib or if there's space in the bathroom ask your builder to put Tees on the hot and cold faucets so you can get hot water.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Treefidy said:

Buy a set top induction cook top ($59) a pressure cooker (~$50) and an air fryer over ($99) and you have an instant kitchen, all 120v so regular outlets will do. You could also get a garage style stand up basin sink to wash dishes ($80) if the bathroom sink isn't large enough, hook it to a hose bib or if there's space in the bathroom ask your builder to put Tees on the hot and cold faucets so you can get hot water.  

Don't forget the coffee pot.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fuck Tim Beck said:

So this is awesome. Killeen ISD still plans to resume classes Monday. I saw the superintendents press conference yesterday

and he was asked about social distancing. His answer was basically this is an opportunity for teachers to teach students 

https://www.kwtx.com/content/news/Largest-area-district-plans-to-resume-classes-Monday-educators-balk-568868281.html

This is what happens when your governor is too big a pussy to make the call.  What a fucking hack Abbott is.  Can we get that Ohio governor here to call the shots? 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Fuck Tim Beck said:

So Fuck Dr. John Craft?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Fuck Tim Beck said:

Good thing those kids wouldn’t spread it to folks who work on a large military installation.  

Oh.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Js1 said:

This is what happens when your governor is too big a pussy to make the call.  What a fucking hack Abbott is.  Can we get that Ohio governor here to call the shots? 

I agree. It would be nice if the governor would step up and help protect citizens from idiots. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Treefidy said:

holy shit listen to this man. You can get a countertop air fryer/toaster oven combo for like $125 (and it's a fully functional small oven, I've got a cuisinart one that kicks ass), combine that with an instant pot and hot plate, you're good to go. Looking at $250 tops to outfit a fully functional kitchen for two

7 minutes ago, Fuck Tim Beck said:

It’s gone this far. Is the end of the month a bridge too far?

1 minute ago, Fuck Tim Beck said:

I agree. It would be nice if the governor would step up and help protect citizens from idiots. 

How does the governor protect citizens from idiots when he is one of the idiots? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TXSG8R said:

Not taking a shot at you, but why do you think it was such a simple, voluntary decision to move manufacturing there?  Americans don’t want to pay for goods with American labor tacked onto them. It would be great if this caused a great awakening, but it’s more likely that a handful of companies shift things to a different country (Mexico, Taiwan, etc) to diversify.  Ultimately China undercuts everyone on labor again and companies line back up to get shit made there.  That place has been an IP chop shop for a while now and companies still roll their shit in there. 

And that has to change.  I personally try and make sure all my purchases are NOT made in China.  

2 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

And that has to change.  I personally try and make sure all my purchases are NOT made in China.  

That shit is never going to change. At least not with wages as stagnant as they are. Maybe if wages stayed current with inflation than people would consider it. But so many can not afford the premium they will pay for American made goods. Or on the flip side, how about dropping the prices of the goods? But we all know that will never happen. So people will stick to the cheaper price. Especially after a crisis like this. They damn sure aren't worried where the product is made. They just want the cheaper price. And that usually is not American made.

16 minutes ago, Fuck Tim Beck said:

the odds of that happening Monday are very low. the pressure is going to be HUGE and the odds of them having students/siblings/parents/teachers/employees come down with a confirmed case are pretty high between now and then i'd say

19 minutes ago, Fuck Tim Beck said:

ISD name checks out

1 minute ago, NoName said:

the odds of that happening Monday are very low. the pressure is going to be HUGE and the odds of them having students/siblings/parents/teachers/employees come down with a confirmed case are pretty high between now and then i'd say

I agree. But it's odd with so many other districts already postponed further out, that they would even take this stance. 

11 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Good thing those kids wouldn’t spread it to folks who work on a large military installation.  

Oh.

KISD also runs the schools on Ft. Hood.  If/when it gets into the school district, it will spread quickly.  Snotty kids all riding the same buses.  

KISD Transportation Services is responsible for providing daily transportation to approximately 12,256 of the 45,000 enrolled students. Included in this total are approximately 1,039 special program and special needs students. In addition to this number, approximately 16,300 students are transported for extra-curricular activity trips on a monthly basis. To provide this transportation support, the district has 341 buses and employs almost 350 individuals in the Transportation Services Department. The district consists of over 400 square miles and encompasses four different populated areas (Killeen, Harker Heights, Nolanville, and Fort Hood) and portions of two counties. There are 50 individual campuses: four High Schools, eleven Middle Schools, twenty-nine Elementary Schools, and six Specialized Campuses. During the school year district buses travel over 3 million miles.

For those wanting to keep up on new cases in the state, check this site, and scroll down for the map of the USA.  Click on Texas and then scroll down a little more, and you will see news blurbs about all cases in Texas, with links to the county/state or news sites that list these cases.  

https://coronavirus.1point3acres.com

When you select Texas, and scroll back up, the graph reflects the daily changes in Texas.  
Damnit sorry about the bold

Edited by atomheartbevo

14 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

how long have you been doing this? 

are you checking tags for *everything* you buy? what about the components inside them? 

if you get the Coronavirus, are you going to be ok with nurses and doctors using PPE that was manufactured in China? what about protocols that were partially developed with Chinese data by Chinese physicians? what about ventilators that were constructed there?  

...come on. 

laugh jordan GIF

i am as much on board with "fuck China" as anyone, but this is not the solution.

Edited by NoName
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Even if you buy some shit that doesnt say "Made in China", it probably has most of its components made in China, and it was assembled in the US to get around that stigma.  Most of your medicine components come from China.  China produces all of the worlds rare earth metals, which is essential to anything electronic these days.  Your goal is noble, but its not remotely realistic.  

• Like 1

Somebody needs to start a separate thread -- hell, maybe a standalone forum -- where we can bash politicians we disagree with.
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away