Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

For those wanting to keep up on new cases in the state, check this site, and scroll down for the map of the USA.  Click on Texas and then scroll down a little more, and you will see news blurbs about all cases in Texas, with links to the county/state or news sites that list these cases.  
https://coronavirus.1point3acres.com
When you select Texas, and scroll back up, the graph reflects the daily changes in Texas.  
Damnit sorry about the bold

Wow. Take away New York and we’re an entirely different country

1 minute ago, TXSG8R said:

Even if you buy some shit that doesnt say "Made in China", it probably has most of its components made in China, and it was assembled in the US to get around that stigma.  Most of your medicine components come from China.  China produces all of the worlds rare earth metals, which is essential to anything electronic these days.  Your goal is noble, but its not remotely realistic.  

i mean, if you are going to take this approach - and be realistic about it - you are living basically completely off the grid, not using a cell phone, not using computers, making your own clothes and food, etc

your last line is absolutely correct. 

6 minutes ago, NoName said:

how long have you been doing this? 

are you checking tags for *everything* you buy? what about the components inside them? 

if you get the Coronavirus, are you going to be ok with nurses and doctors using PPE that was manufactured in China? what about protocols that were partially developed with Chinese data by Chinese physicians? what about ventilators that were constructed there?  

...come on. 

laugh jordan GIF

i am as much on board with "fuck China" as anyone, but this is not the solution.

Dude, get out of my head.  😂

2 hours ago, mchookem said:

thanks to the responses to my mini meltdown last night. i realize our situation is just one of billions at this point, and it could be so much worse...we have used the grill, and we are 'camping' on our patio w/ the fridge and microwave...just the thought of being shut in/shut off for months without having a fully functioning house got to me a bit yesterday. 

I had a freakout yesterday. We are in self quarantine after I had 3 degree indirect contact with someone who was positive for covid. The wife has not been very helpful. Had one friend drop off some paper towels (they had extra and we burn through a ton with our dogs) and another friend drop off a 8 pack of guiness.  Felt much better after that.

For those wanting to keep up on new cases in the state, check this site, and scroll down for the map of the USA.  Click on Texas and then scroll down a little more, and you will see news blurbs about all cases in Texas, with links to the county/state or news sites that list these cases.  
https://coronavirus.1point3acres.com
When you select Texas, and scroll back up, the graph reflects the daily changes in Texas.  
Damnit sorry about the bold

Look at that graph tho.. that’s very good the way is angling

54 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

Agreed. Everyone I've ever met with a 3D printer, and my old company sold them, is itching like a junkie to use them for anything. Whatever. Whenever. For whoever.

once they made all the star wars action figures and the gun spec got put online the novelty wore off....

9 minutes ago, TXSG8R said:

If/when it gets into the school district, it will spread quickly.  Snotty kids all riding the same buses.  

It’s already there. Military personnel have been traveling all over the world with the same simple screening and zero testing upon their return. If everyone was tested right now we’d probably be astonished at the number of people walking around with no clue they have it.

1 hour ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Lots more testiness today in this forum, and it makes perfect sense. You don't have to be advocating any particular ideological solution to make a pretty solid case that several aspects of "the system" just plain don't work under stress.

Daycare? Or unemployment? Pay your workers? Or lose your business? Hell, 330 million Americans are currently having to make tough choices about something fundamental, and it's a different something for each of us.

Maybe we could dial down on judging each other just a tad. Just a suggestion.

Great post.

Wife asked if it was ok to get a cupcake baking kit from the local bakery so my nine year old kid can do that at home to kill some time. I denied saying it wasn't a good idea to expose ourselves to places and things unless it was absolutely necessary. She was upset, mentioned I'm exposing them every day by going to work. I told her I had no choice but going out to a freaking bakery is a choice. I feel like a dick for being restrictive but come on now... there are books, video games, computers, PS4, Xbox 1, switches, etc at home. There's tons of stuff to do.

9 minutes ago, Mikey4 said:
34 minutes ago, Js1 said:
This is what happens when your governor is too big a pussy to make the call.  What a fucking hack Abbott is.  Can we get that Ohio governor here to call the shots? 

Somebody needs to start a separate thread -- hell, maybe a standalone forum -- where we can bash politicians we disagree with.

Please, when Ohio is doing better than you at managing a crisis, it deserves scorn across multiple forums. 

• Like 1

Just now, dad said:

Wife asked if it was ok to get a cupcake baking kit from the local bakery so my nine year old kid can do that at home to kill some time. I denied saying it wasn't a good idea to expose ourselves to places and things unless it was absolutely necessary. She was upset, mentioned I'm exposing them every day by going to work. I told her I had no choice but going out to a freaking bakery is a choice. I feel like a dick for being restrictive but come on now... there are books, video games, computers, PS4, Xbox 1, switches, etc at home. There's tons of stuff to do.

buy it on instacart? 

1 hour ago, InkaUtexas said:

Miami.... Midwestern Students. We all gonna die. 

Daughter had planned to go to Ft Lauderdale with 3 other girls.  Had plane tickets and an airbnb that was $600/night.  They were smart enough to bail on that on their own even though the airbnb won't give them a cent back.

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

The really sad thing is, I looked through Abbott’s twitter this morning, and he was talking about Texas prepping for this back at the end of January.   And here we are.  Feels like all they did was discuss it. This was from last week.   

The report is flawed.  It didn't take into account a measurement for willful ignorance.

• Like 1

Another dumb patent troll!

https://www.theverge.com/2020/3/18/21185006/softbank-theranos-coronavirus-covid-lawsuit-patent-testing

The shell company is owned by Fortress Investment Group, which bought the Theranos patents in 2018. Fortress Investment Group happens to be backed by SoftBank, which said this fall that it would spend billions to bail out WeWork — before backpedaling on that deal this week.

Soon after TechDirt reported on the lawsuit, though, Labrador Diagnostics LLC said that it would allow third parties to use its patented technology to develop COVID-19 tests — though it’s unclear how valid its claims would have been. “Labrador wants to make clear that the lawsuit was not directed to testing for COVID-19. The lawsuit focuses on activities over the past six years that are not in any way related to COVID-19 testing,” the company wrote in a press release.

1 minute ago, Beau Vine said:

Daughter had planned to go to Ft Lauderdale with 3 other girls.  Had plane tickets and an airbnb that was $600/night.  They were smart enough to bail on that on their own even though the airbnb won't give them a cent back.

hehe, and our town is about to get overrun with those who went. DIL went to beaches in Alabama with all her sorority sisters. Son and her are shutting down on Thursday for at least 7 days. Hey, but at least they live on the river! 

Ask about getting a credit. I booked through vrbo and I have a credit at the same location through April 2021.

3 hours ago, NoName said:

plastic and steel: viable virus after 72 hours

copper: no viable virus 8 hours 

cardboard: no viable virus after 24 hours

This is why I've put all my money in Tommie Copper stocks.  

ChiCom Flu gonna make me rich.

Edited by clapclapclap

8 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

fuck em, issue a charge back. $600/night is nothing to sneeze at

2 minutes ago, Captainant said:

fuck em, issue a charge back. $600/night is nothing to sneeze at

Airbnb is usually very upfront about cancellation charges for each stay (at least when I have used them)   It sucks, and they should ask for a refund, but sometimes personal responsibility is a bitch.

31 minutes ago, NoName said:

how long have you been doing this? 

are you checking tags for *everything* you buy? what about the components inside them? 

if you get the Coronavirus, are you going to be ok with nurses and doctors using PPE that was manufactured in China? what about protocols that were partially developed with Chinese data by Chinese physicians? what about ventilators that were constructed there?  

...come on. 

laugh jordan GIF

i am as much on board with "fuck China" as anyone, but this is not the solution.

For about 3 years.  I am especially dilligent when it comes to clothing and accessories.  If it says Made in China, I will not buy it.  I also am diligent with my pet food, treats, and toys.  When I moved to NYC, I even started doing it for furniture and home goods.  

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

This is not true.  AirBnB is giving full refunds on any US stays booked prior to 3/14.  The only reason they wouldn't get their money back is if they booked after everyone started shutting things down.  

AirBnB extenuating circumstances

20 minutes ago, dad said:

Username checks out.  When I stop by later, I’ll bring one of those cupcake kits.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Neonmoon said:

Seems like DFW is becoming a hot spot. 

Yall can quote me in a week on this, but I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that every major metro is going to be a hotspot in 7 to 10 days. Cities dragged their feet on implementing social distancing, leadership was emboldened by the lackadaisical and "nothing will change" response by our federal government and leader of the nation.

Things aren't bad now. Hospitals aren't completely overwhelmed yet. In a couple of weeks, it's going to be a very different country.

5 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

For about 3 years.  I am especially dilligent when it comes to clothing and accessories.  If it says Made in China, I will not buy it.  I also am diligent with my pet food, treats, and toys.  When I moved to NYC, I even started doing it for furniture and home goods.  

These people thank you. 

hand-crafted-technique1.jpg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

NY doing the layoffs before small businesses need to. Every story needs a villain. 

They’ve got 33% of the cases, no wonder they are acting aggressively.    

It’s stunning how much Texas is dragging our feet in regards to certain measures, namely Killeen, but there are other examples where the state is throwing their hands up in the air and trying to pawn everything off on the locals, who are fucking it up for everybody else.  

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away