Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

1 hour ago, Loco said:

ETlJG7uXsAgKLbx?format=jpg&name=large

Dat trajectory doh!

1 hour ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Fucking S.K, Japan, Singapore, HK....... splitters !!!

How in the hell is India not leading the world wide pack with their population density, and lack of widespread healthcare ?

IMO that graph is actually show the impact of testing, not the actual spread of tecatevirus.

India doesn't show up because they aren't testing, maybe because they aren't reporting ( like Putin ... why no Russia?)

1 minute ago, Wally Fairway said:

IMO that graph is actually show the impact of testing, not the actual spread of tecatevirus.

India doesn't show up because they aren't testing, maybe because they aren't reporting ( like Putin ... why no Russia?)

Yes, I've wondered about that scenario as well. Is it low infection rate or low testing rate ?? 

Betting there's a bit of both going on in places where testing is beginning to ramp up.

When this is over, we’ll all look back and wonder why the fuck we didnt quarantine weeks earlier. Not having a lockdown starting last week will result in tens of thousands of American deaths

that not alarmist, thats a fucking fact. Its also a fact that we will lock down, but it will be futile/too late at that point

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Possibly stupid question:

Are any of these curves flattening? The y-axis on these graphs is logarithmic. If you stretched it to true values these curves would look linear. 

Basically, you’re saying we have a hell of a lot of momentum going into the second turn and nobody has a chance in hell of catching us once we take the lead? Merica!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

why have unnecessary parties at this moment? If one person there is sick, the other 9 could easily be sick at the end of next week. I find it hard to believe that a dinner party, people are also meeting the guideline of 6 ft apart. 

I’m having 8 people at my land tomorrow. I’m well aware of all of their quarantine status over the past 10 days. We’ll take reasonable precautions. If the national disease control service states such things will have minimal impact I’ll trust it.

2 hours ago, Viking said:

Ayup. My wife is from rural Kansas and her family has suffered from the really shitty doctors there. She's learned that the best doctor in town is the vet and if you want good care you need to go to Dallas.

There are some great doctors in small towns but it usually is feast or famine with health care. I worked in a small town for almost 10 years. Small town BS life, poor education for my kids, constant demand and low reimbursements drove me into a larger city.

I covered two hospitals and cared for patients in the ICU, ran ventilators, also covered the emergency department and did neonatal care for the obstetrician.  I performed colonoscopies and endoscopies and did in hospital procedures that are relegated to intensivist at larger facilities.

I’d be careful about painting small town doctors with a broad brush. Some of them are damn fine doctors and now they’re on the front lines with very little resources.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

When this is over, we’ll all look back and wonder why the fuck we didnt quarantine weeks earlier. Not having a lockdown starting last week will result in tens of thousands of American deaths

that not alarmist, thats a fucking fact. Its also a fact that we will lock down, but it will be futile/too late at that point

I believe most of the whole world is in that boat isn't it ?   Just look how ragey people get when their vacations are cut short by mandatory hurricane evacuations.

8 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

Shouldn’t there be another line for unreported cases/burned corpses that is happening in China?   

9 minutes ago, Iceman said:

I get all that.I COMPLETELY get that the health system will/ could be inundated with folks that it otherwise would not be treating.  That's an absolute function of our society in general- see TP hoarders and then apply mentality to seeking medical care that might not be necessary.

It seems like you are equating TP hoarding & shortages to Hospital ventilator shortages.   People who do not need vents are NOT being put on vents.   Doctors feel free to step in here and correct me if I'm wrong.

2 minutes ago, Loco said:

It seems like you are equating TP hoarding & shortages to Hospital ventilator shortages.   People who do not need vents are NOT being put on vents.   Doctors feel free to step in here and correct me if I'm wrong.

That's not what I said.  I was speaking to the pre-existing mentality some in our society have towards medical care- ERs are a great example.  Amp that up with the panic and possibly justified fear of this crisis and it's gonna be hell for those truly in need to get treated.  The TP-run was just an example of similar mindset.

I didn't mean to say healthcare workers and hospitals would be automatically admitting everyone/ putting them on respirators.

Edited by Iceman

2 minutes ago, Iceman said:

If America gets to recovery mode, how do we quell popups or hotspots created by international travel? At what point do we try to achieve some semblance of normalcy with regard to economic and social activity so that 'life' does in fact go on?

There is nor script or precedent for this whole situation.  It's gonna be interesting to see where and how it goes, to say the least. How do we as a society determine what the proper risk/ reward might be?

That article I posted gets into that.  It's going to be interesting for sure.   Our state and local leaders need to be not only putting out fires but planning for 4-6 weeks from now and how we can manage this while opening the economy if we're successful culling the initial onslaught.  I haven't seen anything to date that has given me comfort we'll be in a position to do that.  A drive-through testing center with results in 5 days, just announced this morning in Dallas, is basically ZERO VALUE from a quarantine and contact tracing standpoint. Which isn't important now but sure as hell is if we don't want to be stuck at home all summer.   The slow fed response put us behind the 8 ball, but it sure seems like other states and cities have managed to ramp up preparedness at a much higher level.   

4 minutes ago, Iceman said:

That's not what I said.  I was speaking to the pre-existing mentality some in our society have towards medical care- ERs are a great example.  Amp that up with the panic and possibly justified fear of this crisis and it's gonna be hell for those truly in need to get treated.  The TP-run was just an example of similar mindset.

I didn't mean to say healthcare workers and hospitals would be automatically admitting everyone/ putting them on respirators.

Fair enough

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Loco said:

It seems like you are equating TP hoarding & shortages to Hospital ventilator shortages.   People who do not need vents are NOT being put on vents.   Doctors feel free to step in here and correct me if I'm wrong

Edited by Incredulity
Iceman replied as such.

1 minute ago, Incredulity said:

Pretty sure he is just talking about panic/hypochondriac visits clogging things up. Not specifically ventilators being misapplied.

Yeah I saw his response.  Makes sense

Sure seems like testing people would prevent a lot of that...  sigh

13 hours ago, UpperWestside said:

I was shopping earlier on 117th in East Harlem by the FDR Drive. Once you left that shopping area it was a sparse amount of people out. The trains are 90 percent empty. This was my first time going out since Tuesday. I go to that shopping center because they have Costco, Target and Aldi all together which is nice and because I get any prescriptions I need from that Costco. 

IMG_20200320_170533116.jpg

Across 110th St 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, XYZ said:

spacer.png

The spacecraft was a long way from home.

I thought it would be a good idea, just after Saturn, to have them take one last glance homeward. From Saturn, the Earth would appear too small for Voyager to make out any detail. Our planet would be just a point of light, a lonely pixel hardly distinguishable from the other points of light Voyager would see: nearby planets, far off suns. But precisely because of the obscurity of our world thus revealed, such a picture might be worth having.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Now imagine we had good information in Nov 2019 from China. All of that holiday travel. Plus the entire month of Dec and January. We would probably been week past our peak curve by now and many lives would have been spared. 

It’s Saturday and OU sucks (but is good people ChiTown)...Fuck China

Edited by ChickenSandwich
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Now imagine we had good information in Nov 2019 from China. All of that holiday travel. Plus the entire month of Dec and January. We would probably been week past our peak curve by now and many lives would have been spared. 

It’s Saturday and OU sucks (but is good people ChiTown)...Fuck China

Who cares what China said. The default should be to treat their numbers as the lies that they are anyway. We had good info on this in early January and did nothing. That's not on China.....

• Like 5
  • Fuck You 1

26 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

We had good information in Jan.  What did we do with that?   

• Like 1

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away