CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

16 minutes ago, TexEx15 said:

In April, Oxford struck a deal with British pharmaceutical giant AstraZeneca Plc to spearhead global manufacturing and distribution and help run more trials around the world. AstraZeneca has agreed to sell the vaccine on a not-for-profit basis during the crisis if it proves effective and has lined up deals with multiple manufacturers to produce more than 2 billion doses.“

Gilbert has voiced remarkable confidence in her chances, saying the Oxford vaccine has an 80% probability of being effective in stopping people who are exposed to the novel coronavirus from developing Covid-19. She has said she could know by September. Asked by MPs in early July whether the world would have to struggle through the winter without a vaccine, Gilbert said, “I hope we can improve on those timelines and come to your rescue.”

Let’s hope that this comes to fruition.

God, this is terrible to type out, but honestly, what if they offered it up to the countries of the world that has taken care of things first, then afterwards, give it to the plague infected (Brazil, Russia, Mexico, the US, so on).

You know, the shithole countries.

Or, maybe the Trump administration just blocks this vaccine, since it wasn't created here. Plus, a woman was heading the team, and not an attractive one at that.

3 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

The Walmart announcement is going about as well as  you expect.  Funny thing; I suspect some of these die-hard Patriots only have a Walmart to choose from in their humble little communities.

Hide contents

The giant meteor can't get here soon enough.

We are the WORST fucking species.

• Like 1

Our governor came out of hiding and issued a statewide mask order earlier.

That combined with the Walmart announcement has the usual suspects around here up in arms.

I’m myself celebrated with a little light trolling by posting a selfie in a mask with a caption saying “Love my cute new mask! Thanks Governor Ivey!”.

lol people are big mad

Just now, Aqua Buddha said:

Costco posted an actual increase in foot traffic last month compared to June of last year.  (11% sales comp.)

They attributed it to people knowing that Costco isn't fucking around about the mask thing.

it's so much easier to get in and out with mouth breathers lining up for granola bar samples.

7 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Costco posted an actual increase in foot traffic last month compared to June of last year.  (11% sales comp.)

They attributed it to people knowing that Costco isn't fucking around about the mask thing.

More likely due to grocery sales going through the roof as restaurant sales are down significantly.

7 hours ago, Mapache said:

Let the data manipulation begin

I know this is yesterday's news and we all use dark humor to cope, but isn't this a pretty big damn deal?  Or am I just messed up?

We've been warning/noting the authoritarian tendencies of this regime, but this strikes me as straight up North Korea level censorship/propaganda.

Edited by MC Fresh Breath

I don't think it's that big of a deal.  I mean, these people handle notifying me of my student loan forgiveness and my car warranty expiration.  Pretty sure they can also take on handling my community's Covid-19 data sets.  

7 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

I know this is yesterday's news and we all use dark humor to cope, but isn't this a pretty big damn deal?  Or am I just messed up?

We've been warning/noting the authoritarian tendencies of this regime, but this strikes me as straight up North Korea level censorship/propaganda.

If you don't like the numbers, just take control of the numbers.  Doesn't seem authoritarian at all.  

If Chairman Mao can manipulate the data/numbers away from the Chinese (who are good at math according to Bob Dole), I'm pretty sure Trump can do whatever he wants with data/numbers as his base still thinks 1.0% is the same as 0.1%  

3 hours ago, Pancho said:

John King just broke that the Oklahoma gov has tested positive for CoViD

When asked at Wednesday's press conference if he regretted not wearing a mask often, Stitt said: "I don't really second-guess anything.”

5a07bd82f98ae0269b29b9a2c2243699944a036a

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Fauci simultaneously going hard and playing dumb on Navarro's op ed.

The op-ed did not go through the normal sign-off process of being edited and approved by the White House press office, a White House official told CNN on Tuesday.

Fauci doesn’t think that was their intention, but said, “I cannot figure out in my wildest dreams why they would want to do that. I think they realize now that that was not a prudent thing to do, because it’s only reflecting negatively on them.”

Fauci went on to say he has no explanation for Navarro: “He’s in a world by himself. So I don’t even want to go there.”

CNN

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

This is a big deal. Oh and nothing will be done about it. 

Someone may be able to correct me, but this isn’t as bad as it might look. CDC was never the one issuing the daily data reports. That kind of information like daily new cases, daily hospitalization numbers, daily deaths, etc. will still be reported daily by the county and the state on the health department websites.

if you actually read (ok sue me I skimmed it) the 13 page document regarding the new reporting requirements this is more about more specific hospital info most of which I haven’t ever seen released to the public anyway. That may be a problem, but this doesn’t seem to be an attempt to distort the data and claim smaller numbers.

• Like 1

I don't know what the implications are of moving the data clearinghouse function, but I do know that I primary look at county, TSA, and state level data.  These data are being reported opening in most (every?) state.  All of the early data aggregators, including JH, were (and still are?) based on scraping the state sites. 

• Like 1

Just now, justhookit said:

Someone may be able to correct me, but this isn’t as bad as it might look. CDC was never the one issuing the daily data reports. That kind of information like daily new cases, daily hospitalization numbers, daily deaths, etc. will still be reported daily by the county and the state on the health department websites.

jinx. 

While I wish it were different for all sorts of reasons, I am kind of enjoying the burgeoning horror of some in the GOP as they realize the mindless base they've created is driving a mass extermination event through their rejection of science and empiricism in the face of a global pandemic.

Fucking oopsie, you dumb shits.

farnkie-20180621160459727_edited.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

The Walmart announcement is going about as well as  you expect.  Funny thing; I suspect some of these die-hard Patriots only have a Walmart to choose from in their humble little communities.

Hide contents

Karen Clounch looks dreamy.

• Haha 2

38 minutes ago, Hefeweizen said:

Fauci is far from blameless but he mans up and takes responsibility.  

I don't think Fauci should be "blamed" for anything.  He's a scientist.  He acts on data.  Early on, there were precious little data to act on, but one thing was known:  the medical community was very short on PPE and ventilators.  He advised the average Joe against wearing a mask, at least in part because he knew the front line workers would need them more.

Perhaps he was wrong in his early estimations of the risks this virus posed to Americans, but even then, he was clearly doing his best to juggle sketchy data as well as the need to remain on board serving a complete dolt in the White House.  "Blame" is too strong a word.  I think the guy was caught in a shit storm and did everything he felt he could do to manage the situation.

• Like 7

6 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

Hey, remember how Trump shipped a bunch of ventilators overseas? About that...

I went out for a regular dr appointment today. I turned on AM radio and listened to Rush for about 20 minutes.

He's backed off denying the virus. His new position is "why is there so much misinformation about this? If it really is so serious, why are their so many lies about it? Why does everyone avoid blaming the riots for the spread? I tell you, there's something going on. Our hospitals aren't being overrun! We don't know how many people really died of Covid..."

Right after accusing somebody of lying, he characterizes the BLM demonstrations as riots. He denies hospitals are being swamped. He took a call from an alleged ICU nurse who said her hospital keeps testing people who are admitted until they get a positive Covid read and that she and "all the nurses are so over Covid." 

Lee Atwater was contrite once he learned he was on his way out. He was still a piece of shit, but some conscience appeared towards the end. Limbaugh clearly doesn't believe in judgment after death. Further, you feel his hateful little soul is determined to do as much damage as he can up until his last moment. 

And he has millions and millions of adherents. Adherents who love the flag and America while fearing and hating everything else. Disgusting Rush Limbaugh is one of the principal malignancies that has rotted out this republic. 

10 minutes ago, Horndog said:

Karen Clounch looks dreamy.

In just the single picture of her face, you can see at least 3 conditions that makes her near guaranteed to die if she catches covid.  If anyone should be wearing a mask, its her.  But if Walmart just hides the rascal scooter carts, that patriot won't be coming in anyway.

Edited by FondrenRoad
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

In just the single picture of her face, you can see at least 3 conditions that makes her near guaranteed to die if she catches covid.  If anyone should be wearing a mask, its her.  But if Walmart just hides the rascal scooter carts, that patriot won't be coming in anyway.

I believe Karen may be Onioning us.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

In just the single picture of her face, you can see at least 3 conditions that makes her near guaranteed to die if she catches covid.  

I'll play:

-- morbid obesity

-- diabetes

-- hypertension?  maybe coronary artery disease, it's a tossup

About the hospital data and the WH request to bypass the CDC? Here is a long thread that explains the backstory. Not good. I will spoiler most due to length, but your tax dollars are once again lining wealthy pockets while Americans die. In addition to Caputo's sketchy ties to Roger Stone and Manafort, notice the Peter Thiel link. That is interesting as the newly named Undersecretary of Defense for Research and Engineering, Michael Kratsios , is Trump's policy advisor on tech. So much for Thiel distancing himself from the President. He is, just with some inside assistance from his former employee at Thiel Capitol.

Spoiler

You gotta give Trump credit on one thing.  He’s got a deep bench of friends and supporters to whom he can throw business, that we knew.  What he was so prescient about though is so many of these guys have businesses built to handle a virus nobody had even heard of until three years into his administration.  

18 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Kemp isn’t just being negligent.

He’s actually aggressively trying to kill people.

Unreal.

That's exactly what our governor did too a couple of months ago before everything went to shit.

2 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

Kemp isn’t just being negligent.

He’s actually aggressively trying to kill people.

Unreal.

Not defending Kemp, but that tweet, like about half of twitter, is a lie.

The EO actually requires wearing masks.

Nope, I'm wrong, it only "encourages" wearing masks, so any requirement to wear a mask is prohibited.  Christ.

Edited by TwiceHorn