Mrs Whiggins

CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

2 minutes ago, Red Five said:

He keeps saying, over and over, that the virus isn't the fault of the American people. Is there someone out there claiming that it is?

He means its not his fault

43 minutes ago, triplehorn said:

eh, I don't agree with all that.  The minimum requirement was that participants complete 6 days of testing.  Any subject that couldn't do that didn't have data included piecemeal.  Treating dropouts as "failures" (how you're defining that I have no idea) is not sound.  Despite the dropouts, which happen in most every clinical trial, there were enough subjects in both the treatment group and the unmedicated control group who completed a sufficient duration of participation for valid statistical analysis.  Again there was a control group - albeit the design wasn't randomized or blinded.  There are more robust models with larger sample sizes forthcoming, but this study is pretty standard given the circumstances.  It provides a clear reason to proceed further, not to abandon and look elsewhere.  It's pretty basic stuff.  I'm not saying "Eureka!", but given a quick risk/benefit analysis for a positive symptomatic covid case, I wouldn't defer having a conversation.

The printed study: Hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin as a treatment of COVID-19: results of an openlabel non-randomized clinical trial

The graphs on pages 24-25 are helpful visuals.  

I completely agree that we should proceed with better designed studies with larger sample size. I would enroll myself without hesitation in such a trial.  I have hopes that HCQ will shake out. It seems like our best out given the circumstances, and the small study definitely establishes a signal.

But let's keep a clear head and not get ahead of the data. Differential drop out is absolutely a problem, and should be accounted for in the analysis imo. Especially when all but 1 of the drop-outs are treatment failures (defined as PCR positive or dead at last observation). At a minimum carry the last observation forward and report the LOCF data as a secondary analysis. The baseline differences in viral load could very well explain the results; however, teh sample size is too small for any sort of statistical adjustment. I don't know enough about the range of the viral load to suggest cut points, but maybe a stratified analysis would be insightful. I don't see anything in the +Azithromycin data that is compelling, it's literally an N of 6 and much younger pts (range 20-60 vs, 25-87 for HCQ only group).

I'm good with chasing the lead based on a signal. Maybe the data gets there and we can speak definitely.  I fucking hope it does.  And maybe in the mean time the president can stfu and stop tweeting about it and creating supply chain problems. Let the ID docs do their thing.  We all want something to be optimistic about with this shit.   

2 minutes ago, Red Five said:

He keeps saying, over and over, that the virus isn't the fault of the American people. Is there someone out there claiming that it is?

Not me!  It’s not my fault people are blaming America for this virus. 

Why are the questions always about the economy? Hey assholes, hospitals are overflowing with the dead and dying. Let’s ask about that. 

6 minutes ago, Red Five said:

it's because you touch yourself at night.

US surpassing China to lead the world in virus cases?  "It's a testament to our testing." 
"Tremendous testing"
Please tell me this is sarcasm and he didn't actually say that.

I've given up watching this daily shitshow.

Just now, Irwin F Fletcher said:

He said it then said you can’t believe their numbers. 

Just now, Irwin F Fletcher said:

That was his verbatim response to the press question about his thoughts on the US surpassing China and Italy today for most coronavirus cases.

13 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

He still doesn't understand how tariffs work. At all.

He's a bona fide idiot.

Johnny Sack thinks he's doing a great job.

Johnny Sack is a bona fide idiot. 

There was a brief follow-up question about the Defense Production Act asking him to give an example to back up his claim that he's invoked it

Trump paraphrased: "we'll get back to you on that". 

This is outrageous.  He is siding with boosting profits of members of the US Chamber of Commerce over expediting access life saving materials in a national emergency.

Edited by triplehorn

This virus will hit the US harder than any other country in the world for two reasons: (1) we have a complete imbecile in charge of the country and due to his pathological narcissism will never acknowledge the full extent of the problem and never completely test while he’s in charge thus making it far, far worse, and since most people will be affected because of problem number one, (2) terrible, horrible food, nutrition and obesity that has made the US population more vulnerable to this sort of virus than any other country in the world. 

There will not be a close number two. 

43 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

Why is it that we see that but so many dont?  Is it because when he talks they can understand his mouth breathing knuckle dragging words?

They don't watch him. They don't watch news. They don't read. They watch "reality" TV and voted for their favorite game show host who seems like a really tough executive. 

This is Idiot World Ascendant. When the idiots flood the polls and elect totally incompetent morons, you have to figure that that's the day authoritarianism starts looking pretty good to the non-idiots and/or the power thirsty.

The Greeks believed government was a cycle ( κύκλος that a professor of mine described as anarchy > monarchy > democracy > anarchy. The link is more in depth than that. It sure looks like we might be slipping to a new phase in the cycle. We may have elected anarchy in Donald Trump.

Fauci laid a lot out in that brief appearance.  Mainly focused on active research into treatments, and accurately explained the vaccine timeline justified by some pretty technical safety and efficacy considerations.  He also previewed that we're going to be hearing about results soon, which sounded like within 2 weeks.  I get the feeling he's on top of a lot of important work being done behind the scenes, which is good.

7 minutes ago, triplehorn said:

Fauci laid a lot out in that brief appearance.  Mainly focused on active research into treatments, and accurately explained the vaccine timeline justified by some pretty technical safety and efficacy considerations.  He also previewed that we're going to be hearing about results soon, which sounded like within 2 weeks.  I get the feeling he's on top of a lot of important work being done behind the scenes, which is good.

He did a lengthy q&a with, of all people, Steph Curry on instagram today.  I haven’t had time to watch it yet, but thought some might be interested.

45 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

Why are the questions always about the economy? Hey assholes, hospitals are overflowing with the dead and dying. Let’s ask about that. 

35 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

Deadliest day so far in US and only going up. Back to work, pussies!

32 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

I watched some CNN today and they ran some phone footage submitted by a doctor in New York. These cable network news channels are set up to just run opinion shows rather than actually cover news. The horror of this plague likely remains vague to anyone who hasn't found something to read about it.  I'm guessing the news idiots are drawn to the economic questions because that will better drive the opinion shows. They can beat that to death for hours.

But 4th&five is right. The story is the suffering and death, and they aren't finding a way to report it beyond statistics. Pathetic journalism.

Now we'll have an evening of different doctors and economic experts saying the same things. We will also get a man on the street interview (NPR loves this worthless way to cover a story. Hey! It's easy!). Maddow is the best hope for a new angle. I can't stand TV news unless something is breaking.

The economic shit is just so pointless to me until we get this under control. No stimulus or money will do a thing if we’re still in the depths of this in 3 months. 

2 hours ago, cactusflinthead said:

Denton ISD has extended school closure.

March 26, 2020 – In support of the “Stay at Home” Order issued by Denton County Judge Andy Eads, the following school districts in Denton County announced they have extended districtwide closure through Sunday, April 19.

Students, parents and staff of the following districts are urged by their leaders to remain vigilant in their efforts to stay healthy and stay at home.

• Aubrey ISD
  • Argyle ISD
  • Denton ISD
  • Krum ISD
  • Lake Dallas ISD
  • Lewisville ISD
  • Little Elm ISD
  • Pilot Point ISD
  • Ponder ISD
  • Sanger ISD

Schools and offices in these districts are scheduled to reopen on Monday, April 20. Administrative teams in each district will continue to evaluate the recommendations of the Denton County Public Health (DCPH) department as well as the Center for Disease Control (CDC) to determine whether a longer closure beyond April 19 will be necessary.

Good to know some actual info.

12 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Yep, Covid-19 hitting the deep-fried south is going to be a catastrophe. 

Covid in SEC country should signal to Trump it's time to get serious.

People saying China’s numbers are shit seem to be missing that our numbers are also shit because we still have a testing shortage and a week lag time on confirming cases.  China also appears to be successfully running a true containment strategy which is easier for them b/c their government has a tighter grip on the population.  

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

5 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

Covid in SEC country should signal to Trump it's time to get serious.

he won't change his 'it's not that bad' tone until it's too late and many many people will already be on a path to death.

It's going to take an entire region of local govt. governors, mayors, etc, reacting like that one Kentucky mayor...

Listen up dipshits and sensible people. I might not have the best bedside manor. I might not put you at ease like the Governor does, but I don’t care. You need to realize that this is a serious ordeal. In fact, it’s a big f**cking deal. Stay at home.

Weird how things have gone in my lifetime.  I remember "malaise" and the hostage crisis and times when America couldn't get its act together.  Things seemed to be rebounding until 9/11, when we were caught unaware.  Then "Mission Accomplished" and Tora Bora.

Then Obama's military offed Bin Laden and he built an economic machine that lasted through 3 years of Trump doing his best to fuck it up.  And now here we are.  Some scientists and planners who cost essentially nothing got fired and departments disbanded for no real reason.  We're back to being incompetent.  

9 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Might hurt Alabama and LSU's recruiting, so it might not all be bad.  ')

Meanwhile:

From the HUaBS link.

just a little bit ironic, don't ya think?

One of the first deaths in Virginia from coronavirus was a 66-year-old Christian “musical evangelist” who fell ill while on a trip to New Orleans with his wife. As the Friendly Atheist’s Hemant Mehta points out, Landon Spradlin had previously shared opinions that the pandemic was the result of “mass hysteria” from the media.

https://www.rawstory.com/2020/03/christian-pastor-who-thought-covid-19-is-just-mass-hysteria-is-among-the-first-in-virginia-to-die-from-virus/

Edited by elfenix

mpu

Football ... Basketball ... Baseball ... Other Sports ... Recruiting ... Gambling ... Movies & TV ... Music ... Hobbies ... Lulz ... Food & Travel ... Daily Texan ... Help ... For Sale ... Politics ... Board Discussion