Jump to content
Wulaw Horn

Anyone enjoying themselves?

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Came up with a pretty good idea for some indoor escape time, thought I'd share. I set up an online sportsbook account with a place that does horse betting, then streamed one of the tracks all day to my big TV in the game room, (a bunch of them have live feeds, I did Golden Gate Fields) and bet from my laptop. So basically a day at the track, complete with Bud Light tall boys and sunflower seeds, for the experience. 

Won $4.27 too, so I'm basically Surly 1% now. It was pretty fun though. I also have a 6 tall boy buzz which rules. Highly recommend to the dads/husbands who can use a couple hours of guy time in the midst of all this.

Edited by BradInATX

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The days are long and I need exercise. I think this week it's time for non-gunpowder target practice in the back yard.

I gave away my nice bow years ago. Don't even have a fiberglass girls' PE bow. Fuggit. Caveman didn't have a fiberglass girls' PE bow either. Maybe I'll just make one out of a stick.

Maybe I'll just throw the stick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, msucolt45 said:

I have a wife that thinks we should purchase a new house because interest rates are low. (I work in the O/G sector and could lose my job soon?) Plus our two college kids are HOME since spring break!!!!

I decided since our Boerne trash day is tomorrow for me to work in the garage and de-clutter! I didn’t need any help from them, (they frighten at the word garage), so with beer in the garage fridge, and them fng off in the house, I spent some quality time with my Bassett Hound and 5-6 beers - quality time! Only two black yard bags to show my work, but the hound and I are calmer now!

Best of luck and Hook’em!!

ha.  goodwill is going to have a rush after this is over and garage sales galore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

Don't even have a fiberglass girls' PE bow. Fuggit. Caveman didn't have a fiberglass

 

spacer.png

 

You idiot, this is bone, polished to a high sheen.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, msucolt45 said:

I have a wife that thinks we should purchase a new house because interest rates are low. (I work in the O/G sector and could lose my job soon?) Plus our two college kids are HOME since spring break!!!!

I decided since our Boerne trash day is tomorrow for me to work in the garage and de-clutter! I didn’t need any help from them, (they frighten at the word garage), so with beer in the garage fridge, and them fng off in the house, I spent some quality time with my Bassett Hound and 5-6 beers - quality time! Only two black yard bags to show my work, but the hound and I are calmer now!

Best of luck and Hook’em!!

I think you might be me in another dimension. I also work in oil and gas, I've owned Bassett Hounds my whole life, and my wife also thinks it's a good time to buy a house. I blame dumb ass Yahoo News stories. The it's a good time to buy stuff if you have cash when nobody has cash are a personal favorite of mine. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, F250 said:

 

spacer.png

 

You idiot, this is bone, polished to a high sheen.

 

 

 

 

And now the French horned theme song is in my head the rest of the night 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good:  Will get on lake later this week and hopefully restock on crappie 

Bad: Spend time with wife. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am not.  I love my children (4, 5, 7) and am lucky to be able to regularly spend lots of quality time with them, but being off schedule has turned them into little monsters. Constant fighting, bickering, eating, whining - good God.  The oldest is just turning the corner in softball, and was on a team that was destroying the league, now postponed indefinitely.  That's got her pretty bummed.  I'm not even going to delve into work, but my project lives and dies on crude export, so...   I've irritated my wife to the point that if I get the Covid, she'll probably just let me wither away in the next room.  I had big plans over the weekend to get things done, but it rained most of the time, and was sidelined Sat with common cold type symptoms.  

Truly glad some of y'all are getting some enjoyment out of it; I'm praying for WTI to get right and the office to open back up so I can let my family be in peace.  After that, maybe I can regain the decade of retirement I lost over the last two weeks.   

I've been doing what I can to help the small business around us, but I fear it's going to get pretty bad for those folks.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

...Now- ask me how I stop doing this and I will give you a blank stare ...

We are all Zaphod Beeblebrox.  Insignificant and awesome at the same time.  The trick is self realization (perspective) of where the line is drawn.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m enjoying the fuck out of this  

8 yo reads well enough that we started playing an RPG from ~2010. The 5 yo is old enough to run around and fight the easy battles, and he gets a kick out of it. The 8 yo also probably needs to move to an 830 or 9 bedtime anyway, so last night we stayed up and played the new (to them) game til about 10. 
 

No traffic.  

I’m getting more exercise than I have in a long time. Easy to do a few sets in the garage here and there through the day. Put the kids on their bikes at lunch and jog and walk a couple miles.  Wife and I go for a walk or two 
 

Also easy to do a load of laundry here or dishes there’s, and generally help keep the kids picking up their stuff throughout the day, so my wife and I don’t have to overcome a shit hole and instead just need to maintain. 
 

So yeah, I’m enjoying the shit out of myself 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RDCanecutter said:

The days are long and I need exercise. I think this week it's time for non-gunpowder target practice in the back yard.

I gave away my nice bow years ago. Don't even have a fiberglass girls' PE bow. Fuggit. Caveman didn't have a fiberglass girls' PE bow either. Maybe I'll just make one out of a stick.

Maybe I'll just throw the stick.

You might get a kick out of watching this German inventor's YouTube channel:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mixed bag here.  And not trying to be a downer, but not everything with me is a joy.

Oh, we've gotten stuff done, and the kids are easy going, and the wife isn't an irritant.  So, all of that is good.

What is bothering me is simply the unknown.  Which one of us will contract it?  Will we just be a carrier, or will we develop symptoms?  Will they be severe?  What about my (73  & 75 year old) parents?  Especially my mom, who has lung issues.

What about the rest of my family?  My friends?  Who do I know that will have to be buried because of this?

I can't live in fear, and I'm not scared to face tomorrow.  But at the same time, I feel hopeless at times.  The other night, I woke up in the middle of the night, sweating.  My first thought was oh shit, so it begins.  Rather, I was just hot.  

My wife and I are fortunate.  We will not lose our jobs over this. But what about the ability to go to the store?  Shit, people are hoarding potatoes here.  Potatoes!  What if we need to go to the hospital for an emergency?  Will that get ignored?  

Just a lot of unknowns, and no real answers.

Thanks for listening. Carry on all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Enjoying it? Fuck no.

 

I’m making the best of a terrible situation and trying to stay positive. My wife and I love spending time together and we’re getting to do plenty of that without distraction. Cooking good meals, drinking beer and wine, exercising, screwing, watching TV and movies, reading books, playing board games, walking the dogs, etc. So it’s a little bit like vacation except from home. And I like that.

 

But deep down I know the world is fucked right now and I can’t completely shake that. People are sick and dying, the global economy is in shambles, people are losing their jobs, and anything resembling fun (restaurants, bars, sports, movies, travel, concerts) is on an indefinite hiatus. This will take years to recover from and the ripple effect will be felt by everyone, even if you aren’t directly impacted by health or employment.

 

So no, I’m not enjoying that.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On a personal level, yes. I love all the time with my kids. They are 16, 13 and 10. Very self-sufficient and fun and generally awesome. I much prefer working from home too and hope I can do this more. On normal weekdays I spend about 2-3 hours in the car between school, work, and sports. While I miss the sports I do not miss the driving. And we are all eating healthier because I have time to actually cook nightly.

On an existential level, no. There is a lot of of hurt and suffering out there right now and it's probably only going to get worse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was alright. Work projects were more productive for sure. I smoke more weed tough. Gf is probably gonna start working from home this week so it will be pretty good random sex for a few days then I'm sure we will be tired of each other after a few days. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, tbone_ said:

Also, P90X every morning.

Kinda early to get into designer drugs don't you think?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought an acoustical guitar yesterday, to see if I can learn to play.  If I'm going to be stuck at home w/ two dogs, might as well try to improve myself.   I'll be using youtube vids as tutors...not sure how this experiment will go but why the fuck not. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, UT_OB1 said:

I’m enjoying the fuck out of this  

8 yo reads well enough that we started playing an RPG from ~2010. The 5 yo is old enough to run around and fight the easy battles, and he gets a kick out of it. The 8 yo also probably needs to move to an 830 or 9 bedtime anyway, so last night we stayed up and played the new (to them) game til about 10. 
 

No traffic.  

I’m getting more exercise than I have in a long time. Easy to do a few sets in the garage here and there through the day. Put the kids on their bikes at lunch and jog and walk a couple miles.  Wife and I go for a walk or two 
 

Also easy to do a load of laundry here or dishes there’s, and generally help keep the kids picking up their stuff throughout the day, so my wife and I don’t have to overcome a shit hole and instead just need to maintain. 
 

So yeah, I’m enjoying the shit out of myself 

Same.  Down three stubborn pounds and a lot more active than I was before.  Kids are fine.  Dogs are smiling all the time as they get walked 2-3 times a day.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Same.  Down three stubborn pounds and a lot more active than I was before.  Kids are fine.  Dogs are smiling all the time as they get walked 2-3 times a day.  

Up a couple lbs I bet. Costco had these friggin' dangerous cinnamon, and cream cheese buns just sitting there looking all lonely, and shit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Up a couple lbs I bet. Costco had these friggin' dangerous cinnamon, and cream cheese buns just sitting there looking all lonely, and shit.

tenor.gif?itemid=15699014

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m not. Been battling some crud since last week that just won’t go away. Kids were on spring break with their mom last week and the stress of whether they were going to be able to make it back was shitty. They’re back but I’m still not feeling good. I can barely take care of myself much less them at this point and my wife is still working because she runs her dad’s dental practice. They’re still open for more critical procedures for the time being. I’ve left the house for all of 20 mins last Thurs in the last week. I’ll admit this would be a lot better if I could kick whatever this shit is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, C-Man said:

I’m not. Been battling some crud since last week that just won’t go away. Kids were on spring break with their mom last week and the stress of whether they were going to be able to make it back was shitty. They’re back but I’m still not feeling good. I can barely take care of myself much less them at this point and my wife is still working because she runs her dad’s dental practice. They’re still open for more critical procedures for the time being. I’ve left the house for all of 20 mins last Thurs in the last week. I’ll admit this would be a lot better if I could kick whatever this shit is.

CORONA!!!!!!!

body_snatchers_ending.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, 52-80 said:

Kinda early to get into designer drugs don't you think?

Can't party all day if you don't start in the morning bro.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I bought an acoustical guitar yesterday, to see if I can learn to play.  If I'm going to be stuck at home w/ two dogs, might as well try to improve myself.   I'll be using youtube vids as tutors...not sure how this experiment will go but why the fuck not. 

Not to nitpick, but you bought an acoustic guitar.

Head over to the guitar pron thread. Good stuff and good people in there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, tbone_ said:


Not to nitpick, but you bought an acoustic guitar.

Head over to the guitar pron thread. Good stuff and good people in there.

You can tell I have a strong musical base. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don’t worry about it. Sign up for free Fender Play and bring it on. Enjoy the journey.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Found some knife throwing how-to videos from a Czech guy who seems like he'd be at the bus stop bitching about how he liked it better in prison.

Butter knives!

I think I'll be massacring some cardboard boxes out back in a minute. Wife doesn't want me using the silverware. She'll change her tune when I save her in the upcoming Zombie War.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Feels like Fall with the beers getting opened prior to 11:00. SiP means you can’t drink all day if you don’t start early?

Beer distributors aren’t hurting so far. Last trip to HEB (yesterday AM) the Budweiser guy was there filling the cooler. He reached in and got me the one that was still cool/cold

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If y’all go nuts with the drinking give yourself a break every now and then.  Couple of days of binging and you’ll start to have withdrawal symptoms. I’ll shut up now since most of you guys aren’t alcoholics but thar be dragons.  Also I need to watch the quarantine episode of Sunny.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, shut up.  I haven't gotten drunk since Saturday night.  I'm getting drunk tonight though.  These bottles of whiskey I bought aren't going to drink themselves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

If y’all go nuts with the drinking give yourself a break every now and then.  Couple of days of binging and you’ll start to have withdrawal symptoms. I’ll shut up now since most of you guys aren’t alcoholics but thar be dragons.  Also I need to watch the quarantine episode of Sunny.

Seriously, you're a good dude.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just worked 15 hours from home which is like working 30 hours at the office. No casual strolls to the bathroom having conversations in each department, long never ending toilet paper bathroom usage, 1hr lunch breaks, etc.

nope, now it’s a never ending stream of Teams meetings while eating at my desk in the guest bedroom surrounded by guitars I don’t have time to play.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, NoRagrets said:

I just worked 15 hours from home which is like working 30 hours at the office. No casual strolls to the bathroom having conversations in each department, long never ending toilet paper bathroom usage, 1hr lunch breaks, etc.

nope, now it’s a never ending stream of Teams meetings while eating at my desk in the guest bedroom surrounded by guitars I don’t have time to play.

I had to move my office setup out of our bedroom to a downstairs room, because my wife was creating a hostile work environment.  She isn’t working and wants to sleep until nine, and I start working by 7.  

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

I had to move my office setup out of our bedroom to a downstairs room, because my wife was creating a hostile work environment.  She isn’t working and wants to sleep until nine, and I start working by 7.  

Report her to HR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

I had to move my office setup out of our bedroom to a downstairs room, because my wife was creating a hostile work environment.  She isn’t working and wants to sleep until nine, and I start working by 7.  

So no early morning sexual harassment going on ?  Pity......what's happened to the America I grew up in ??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cleaned the garage out enough to fit a vehicle into it for the first time in a few years. Painted/touched up baseboards since having kids, installed a new handrail on the stairs. Things like that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

So no early morning sexual harassment going on ?  Pity......what's happened to the America I grew up in ??

I put tape over my laptop camera and am working in the nude.  So there's that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


mpu


Football ... Basketball ... Baseball ... Other Sports ... Recruiting ... Gambling ... Movies & TV ... Music ... Hobbies ... Lulz ... Food & Travel ... Daily Texan ... Help ... For Sale ... Politics ... Board Discussion
×
×
  • Create New...