Texas Re-Opening Announced

Storm the Field

11 hours ago, SaucyJack said:

Abbott's plan does not meet the gating criteria to even reach phase one laid out in the federal "Opening Up America Again" Guidelines.

Continued mixed messages for the populace.  Have fun!

From what I can see, most states are ignoring the Phase 1 Federal Guidelines for reopening businesses.

10 hours ago, softlynow said:

spacer.png

You’re trying too hard. The governor “may control” shit if he chooses. Meaning he can create premises limitations, or he can choose to not create those limitations. So can a county judge, in his county. That’s all the power given in those sections. What you’re describing is the grant of a specific power, which simply isn’t there. Neither section gives either actor the right to say “I choose not to limit so he can’t limit either.” If there in no other code section out there authorizing gubernatorial override power, then it doesn’t exist.

At least that’s how I read it after a few.

Well a discretionary power is still a grant of power.  Seems to me they are co-equal grants of discretionary power.

I think I agree, though, that if the governor isn't granted the power to override, it doesn't exist.

3 minutes ago, Goredho said:

This is a good post.  Stay at home orders were never about protecting people from the virus, it was about protecting the health care system from the virus.  That's been largely achieved so far at least where I am.  States will be opening up with varying velocity no matter how much internet angst is expressed, so it is up to all of us as individuals/families to decide how to best protect ourselves from a virus that will be endemic from here on out.

I wish there was a better alternative.  A valid public health system that was able to respond quickly to an emerging threat like this so that we never had to arrive here, but there is not.  One isn't going to magically materialize either -- especially with it being anathema to the worldview of conservatives that are in control of the federal government.  There should be, imo.  If we funded public health with the same zeal we fund the military there certainly would be.  But the reality is that it is not there and won't be for SARS-2/Covid-19.

That's why everyone should vote for the party that values science, public health and healthcare as a right in November -- so that there will be such a system in place to give us a better chance to contain the next outbreak before it gains a foothold and becomes something uncontrollable.

Also a good post.

I really hope this works as Abbott planned.

Will be interesting though to see what his more vociferous base will think if the actions of businesses and the public decides it's not worth it during the initial phases of the plan. 

13 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Compare:

With:

There's nothing to resolve that conflict.  Unlike some federal notions of supremacy, under Article 4 of the Texas Constitution, the Governor only has the powers granted it by the Constitution or the legislature.  

There's no conflict.  Sometimes there's a statewide emergency.  Sometimes, the emergency is only local.  It's not a conflict when a county judge says "there's a local emergency" for the governor to say, "yeah, but the emergency isn't statewide."

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

Well a discretionary power is still a grant of power.  Seems to me they are co-equal grants of discretionary power.

I think I agree, though, that if the governor isn't granted the power to override, it doesn't exist.

You would need something in Chapter 418 that allows the governor to supersede the authority given to local officials under Section 418.108.  It simply doesn't exist.  The governor's order is ultra vires.

55 minutes ago, GW Hayduke said:

I recall all the times the State exerted control over the city of Austin (plastic bag ban, fingerprint checks for rideshare drivers, etc) that it came from legislation and not simple orders by the governor. 

And that's another good point.  Austin and Dallas and Houston are home-rule cities.  That means that under the Constitution, they have all of the powers of self-government except those expressly taken away by the Legislature.

So even aside from Chapter 418, home-rule cities can do whatever the damned hell they want.  And unless the Legislature takes away that authority, their say is law.  The governor doesn't have any role to play in this.

16 hours ago, Skipper said:

It seems to me at a high level there are 2 sets of competing beliefs.

1.  The goal should be for as few as possible to become infected until there is an effective vaccine or treatment.

2.  The goal is to 'flatten the curve' to avoid a collapse on our healthcare system and to ensure that anyone that gets a serious case has access to the best possible healthcare at that time.

I just don't think #1 is realistic for numerous reasons (no guarantee we ever have a 100% effective vaccine or treatment, impact on economy, people won't comply, etc. etc.).

I also think it's more likely we get to herd immunity before we get to a vaccine.  Maybe I'm wrong but I have yet to see a serious expert anticipate anything closer to 18 months which means we're still over a year away.

So where does that put us now?  The reality is in Dallas at least the curve has been flattened. Testing data not all that reliable IMO (getting better) but hospitalization data is .  The undisputed fact here is that peak COVID hospitalization in Dallas was over 3 weeks ago and it has been trending down significantly ever since.  Even at that time Dallas wasn't close to hitting max capacity.  So from a pure community spread perspective, now is as good of time as ever to begin a phasing in process.   

I completely agree we'll need better testing and contact tracing to completely manage this.  Guess what, we are almost certainly never going to get it.   Full Stop.   I don't know why anyone would have confidence we are weeks or months away from elite contact tracing technology.  Maybe we'll be ready for the next pandemic, who knows.  

But we have enough testing and data to monitor COVID Hospitalizations.  And if necessary can shut things down again if there is evidence of exponential growth.  Hell, I would even propose a "planned" 2 week shut down sometime in July that can always be lifted (maybe better for businesses and consumers that way?)

While I think another shutdown is likely necessary I certainly can't say that definitively.  The reality is even with 'opening,' many private businesses will choose not to open and many won't venture out any more than they already are.  So how do we know that the significantly reduced contacts in the aggregate won't be enough to keep the curve below the line?  We don't.

For those that are completely against opening back up May 1.  What exactly is your plan?  Shelter in place through next summer hoping for a vaccine in fall of 2021?  Good luck with that.

I’m gonna have to ask you to stop making sense, Sir. 

Better be careful, you’re gonna OWN IT 100% you Trumplican!1!1!1!

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, YChang said:

I really hope this works as Abbott planned.

Will be interesting though to see what his more vociferous base will think if the actions of businesses and the public decides it's not worth it during the initial phases of the plan. 

Just for fun, I took a gander at the Aggie site, and there are at least two threads about removing him, including one titled "Who Can Primary Greg Abbott." It got a lot of support. One person called the governor "Mitt Romney in a wheelchair" but others said Mitt was way worse than Abbott. As to who should be the candidate to run against him, Louie Gohmert received around 22 stars/likes.

I would vote for @DixonHur's dolphin candidate before I would vote for Louie Fckn Gohmert and any GOP candidate at this point. They burned that bridge so they are stuck with their posse.

1 hour ago, GW Hayduke said:

I recall all the times the State exerted control over the city of Austin (plastic bag ban, fingerprint checks for rideshare drivers, etc) that it came from legislation and not simple orders by the governor. 

Yeah, there is a notion of preemption or supremacy when it comes to legislation in Texas.  Much less so with the weak governor.

19 hours ago, GRHorn said:

That's probably going to happen anyway during the next cold/flu/Rona season. I'd say 75% chance.

I say when there's a window here in the summer we take advantage of it.

As I've said before I think the only tweak might be letting kids stay in school. Not because it's necessarily the right thing to do, but because when the utility of public education becomes truly questioned in the fall, there will be push from the Left to keep kids in school.

What?  Who is questioning the utility of public education?  I’m dying for my kindergarten kiddo to get back into school because my wife and I just don’t get the same level of work done when we are part time teachers on top of our day jobs, and the kid needs socialization to be a well integrated member of society.  

I don’t get how ‘The Left’ boogeyman comes into play...many of us are desperate to have childcare during the day in the form of mutually-beneficial school.  

This is a good post.  Stay at home orders were never about protecting people from the virus, it was about protecting the health care system from the virus.  That's been largely achieved so far at least where I am.  States will be opening up with varying velocity no matter how much internet angst is expressed, so it is up to all of us as individuals/families to decide how to best protect ourselves from a virus that will be endemic from here on out.
I wish there was a better alternative.  A valid public health system that was able to respond quickly to an emerging threat like this so that we never had to arrive here, but there is not.  One isn't going to magically materialize either -- especially with it being anathema to the worldview of conservatives that are in control of the federal government.  There should be, imo.  If we funded public health with the same zeal we fund the military there certainly would be.  But the reality is that it is not there and won't be for SARS-2/Covid-19.
That's why everyone should vote for the party that values science, public health and healthcare as a right in November -- so that there will be such a system in place to give us a better chance to contain the next outbreak before it gains a foothold and becomes something uncontrollable.

This is kind of where I've ended up on the whole thing. Well said.

This is kind of where I've ended up on the whole thing. Well said.

1 minute ago, Homercles said:

What?  Who is questioning the utility of public education?  I’m dying for my kindergarten kiddo to get back into school because my wife and I just don’t get the same level of work done when we are part time teachers on top of our day jobs, and the kid needs socialization to be a well integrated member of society.  

I don’t get how ‘The Left’ boogeyman comes into play...many of us are desperate to have childcare during the day in the form of mutually-beneficial school.  

You must not be that familiar with the far right. They hate "government" schools. Hell, I've already seen multiple gleeful predictions on this board that perhaps the shutdown will open parents' eyes on the evils of govt education.

Capital L "left" and "Democrat Party" are the "sip" and "tu" of politics. You know you're dealing with aggy when those come out
  • Like 5

16 minutes ago, Homercles said:

Because Jesus vouchers or something.

17 hours ago, Skipper said:

It seems to me at a high level there are 2 sets of competing beliefs.

1.  The goal should be for as few as possible to become infected until there is an effective vaccine or treatment.

2.  The goal is to 'flatten the curve' to avoid a collapse on our healthcare system and to ensure that anyone that gets a serious case has access to the best possible healthcare at that time.

I just don't think #1 is realistic for numerous reasons (no guarantee we ever have a 100% effective vaccine or treatment, impact on economy, people won't comply, etc. etc.).

I also think it's more likely we get to herd immunity before we get to a vaccine.  Maybe I'm wrong but I have yet to see a serious expert anticipate anything closer to 18 months which means we're still over a year away.

So where does that put us now?  The reality is in Dallas at least the curve has been flattened. Testing data not all that reliable IMO (getting better) but hospitalization data is .  The undisputed fact here is that peak COVID hospitalization in Dallas was over 3 weeks ago and it has been trending down significantly ever since.  Even at that time Dallas wasn't close to hitting max capacity.  So from a pure community spread perspective, now is as good of time as ever to begin a phasing in process.   

I completely agree we'll need better testing and contact tracing to completely manage this.  Guess what, we are almost certainly never going to get it.   Full Stop.   I don't know why anyone would have confidence we are weeks or months away from elite contact tracing technology.  Maybe we'll be ready for the next pandemic, who knows.  

But we have enough testing and data to monitor COVID Hospitalizations.  And if necessary can shut things down again if there is evidence of exponential growth.  Hell, I would even propose a "planned" 2 week shut down sometime in July that can always be lifted (maybe better for businesses and consumers that way?)

While I think another shutdown is likely necessary I certainly can't say that definitively.  The reality is even with 'opening,' many private businesses will choose not to open and many won't venture out any more than they already are.  So how do we know that the significantly reduced contacts in the aggregate won't be enough to keep the curve below the line?  We don't.

For those that are completely against opening back up May 1.  What exactly is your plan?  Shelter in place through next summer hoping for a vaccine in fall of 2021?  Good luck with that.

Some good points..

Can't find a source for this claim though. (bolded)

Edited by SaucyJack

54 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Capital L "left" and "Democrat Party" are the "sip" and "tu" of politics. You know you're dealing with aggy when those come out

All those guys are now in DT thread spazzing about no politics, with halos on, lamenting there’s no effective discussion here...yet they are or have in the past dropped pointless bombs with no real data points like the GR one about feeling public school is fruitless.  

We are some of the lucky ones.  We still get a paycheck, benefits, and my boss lends me flexibility to take care of my family...I pay it back with a lot of late nights, but I’d be more present and not working until midnight if schools were open.  My son would be getting socialization skills, a better education, and a lot less screen time if schools were open.  Everyone’s stress would be lower if the schools were open.  

We make these sacrifices for the good of society in limiting social contact as well as trying to keep my own family healthy...I shudder to think what millions are going through with an uncertain future.  I’m not gleeful about any of this shit...I’m all for investigating China and punishing them if the truth deserves it. 

We can’t continue like this, but until we have a better strategy to protect those at risk, effective testing and some kind of good treatment/vaccine...opening up too quickly will just elongate this process and we will be back here again in August.  There’s no left or right, it’s just common sense.  

Edited by Homercles
  • Like 2

Me too.  How dope would it be if the primary effect of the ‘rona was 2 biannual preplanned 3 week shutdowns?  How much would it damage the economy if we just decided the standard work year should be 1800 hrs minus PTO instead of 2080 minus PTO?

Guaranteed vacation hasn't plunged the rest of the western world into poverty. The economic impact would be minimal. Corporations would bitch and moan and that's why it isn't a reality already.

I agree.  But we won't have the hospitalization data in a vacuum.  Testing availability and lag time isn't great in Dallas but it has improved.   I think it's "good enough" currently that testing numbers are going to show any problematic increase in the spread (which will be confirmed by the more reliable hospitalization data).  And it isn't like it's going to skyrocket like it would if no measures are in place.  By and large even those venturing out are going to do so carefully, particularly those that are most vulnerable.   City leaders should be in a position to adequately monitor when it's time to shut things back down.   
And look, if city leaders have an actual plan to increase testing and develop contact tracing over the next few weeks, I'm all for it.  I've been waiting for anything resembling a plan for the past 3 weeks once it became apparent there was zero chance of Dallas turning into NY with this initial surge.
But if our plan is "we don't know how to fix testing or contact tracing so we're going to keep everything lock downed perpetually even though all current data shows minimal current community spread and empty hospitals" it's not going to go over well with Joe Public.  

I can't speak to specifics in the city of Dallas, but in general things like testing capacity shouldn't be left up to cities in the first place. That's state level and even federal problem to solve. A shot in the dark "I think it's good enough" from a surly poster when experts are explicitly saying it's not shouldn't be the bar. Leaving individual localities to scale up testing on their own is a garbage plan.

Again, I don't think the problem is we can't. We haven't, and based on state and federal actions at this point, we won't solve those problems, because pubic health isn't a priority. I don't think we should stay shut down - and that term is pretty exaggerated given that you can still go to academy or mattress firm or wherever - indefinitely. Said thay already too. I think we need to fully invest in making sure that the federal government's own CDC guidance and the guidance of medical and pubic health pros is followed. I don't think jusy throwing up our hands and excusing the lack of leadership is the right way to go.

Interesting you mention "Joe Public," by the way. Voters are strongly in favor of SIP orders. The open it up crowd is a fringe.
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, SaucyJack said:

Some good points..

Can't find a source for this claim though. (bolded)

Basing it on publicly released hospitalization data.  I think that is the most accurate way to track considering essentially everyone with COVID-19 symptoms sick enough to be admitted to a hospital is getting tested.  It's not perfect (as hospitalization lags infection by 2+ weeks) so a backwards looking trend rather than a real time outlook.  It shows peak hospital admissions in Dallas was the first week of April which implies peak infection the latter half of March (which makes sense as the "stay at home" order went into effect on 3/22).  So basically the Hospital data shows the Dallas shut down worked exactly as intended.  I think this data, combined with improving testing data, should help officials monitor how well loosening restrictions is working.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Basing it on publicly released hospitalization data.  I think that is the most accurate way to track considering essentially everyone with COVID-19 symptoms sick enough to be admitted to a hospital is getting tested.  It's not perfect (as hospitalization lags infection by 2+ weeks) so a backwards looking trend rather than a real time outlook.  It shows peak hospital admissions in Dallas was the first week of April which implies peak infection the latter half of March (which makes sense as the "stay at home" order went into effect on 3/22).  So basically the Hospital data shows the Dallas shut down worked exactly as intended.  I think this data, combined with improving testing data, should help officials monitor how well loosening restrictions is working.  

I think we are on the same wavelength.  I've been following case and death counts as available.

My preference would be to be further along the backside of the curve before reopening.

We aren't in compliance with the federal gating criteria for phase one, and I think that might be too restrictive.

20 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

It's a stand that goes against the clearly expressed desire of a super-majority of Texas voters.  And it's an action that, even if "easily revers[ed]," won't be reversed until there are hundreds or thousands dead as a result.

And by the way, when that happens--and yeah, it's "when," not "if"--the economic fallout is going to be even worse than what would happen if we just remain in our current state for another month.

So yeah--it's a big stand.  And the Trumpublicans own it.

Just circling back to this. What do you base the supermajority of Texans claim on?

I think we are on the same wavelength.  I've been following case and death counts as available.
My preference would be to be further along the backside of the curve before reopening.
We aren't in compliance with the federal gating criteria for phase one, and I think that might be too restrictive.

Yeah. I don't think opening up is inherently crazy. The state is undoubtedly rushing it though. That's the bottom line of my shit posting.
  • Like 1

Just circling back to this. What do you base the supermajority of Texans claim on?

Texas Tribune poll released the other day has 80 percent of Texas RVs supporting restricting gatherings to 10 or fewer people, 77 percent supporting requirements to stay home sans essential activities, 66 percent supporting suspension of nonessential businesses.

These results are similar to pretty much every other national poll on the issue. This is not a secret.

“They closed us in a panic because they weren’t prepared and we were given no guidance,” said Adam Orman, co-owner of Italian restaurant L’Oca d’Oro, of state officials. “Now, they’ve had seven weeks to prepare and we see that there’s still no preparation that really takes into account small businesses or single parents.”

“Opening a restaurant is not flipping a switch,” Silverstein said. “And closing a second time could be a death sentence for a lot of us.”

Brandon Hunt, co-owner of Detroit-style pizza and food truck Via 313, echoed Silverstein’s sentiment, and is waiting to reopen his several dining rooms while still serving pickup pies. “We just can’t afford to open, then close, then open, then close, like we think might happen,” he explained. “I feel like this is a test over the next two weeks, and we will make the decision when the data is more clear.”

“Opening at 25 percent is not viable for our 40-seat restaurant,” explained Foreign & Domestic co-owner Sarah Heard, “as we would be adding back the costs we have cut and not serving nearly as many people as we are” through its current takeout model.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

“They closed us in a panic because they weren’t prepared and we were given no guidance,” said Adam Orman, co-owner of Italian restaurant L’Oca d’Oro, of state officials. “Now, they’ve had seven weeks to prepare and we see that there’s still no preparation that really takes into account small businesses or single parents.”

“Opening a restaurant is not flipping a switch,” Silverstein said. “And closing a second time could be a death sentence for a lot of us.”

Brandon Hunt, co-owner of Detroit-style pizza and food truck Via 313, echoed Silverstein’s sentiment, and is waiting to reopen his several dining rooms while still serving pickup pies. “We just can’t afford to open, then close, then open, then close, like we think might happen,” he explained. “I feel like this is a test over the next two weeks, and we will make the decision when the data is more clear.”

“Opening at 25 percent is not viable for our 40-seat restaurant,” explained Foreign & Domestic co-owner Sarah Heard, “as we would be adding back the costs we have cut and not serving nearly as many people as we are” through its current takeout model.

The only places that can afford to open like this are massive national chains. Most likely this is just the Texas Republican way of screwing over small businesses and the employees of small businesses while propping up big corporations. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, StassneyHorn said:

FFS, it’s Democratic.

do Democrats run around calling it the Republic party? Be a functioning adult 

No, but the Pub Party sounds much more fun.

1 minute ago, Pig Bellmont said:

I always thought of it as more of a short hand like saying Coke instead of Coca-Cola. Technically wrong, but gets the point across.

1 hour ago, Ghost of LL said:

The Texas Tribune Poll from last week.

Thanks

The timing of that poll is interesting. It was done from April 10-19. So for the majority of that time it was assumed we were still a couple weeks out from the peak of the outbreak. But, on April 16th I believe the models were updated to say it had peaked the day before.

I’d love to see a poll now with today’s conditions. A lot has changed since then. Hope they’re doing one. 

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

Yeah. I don't think opening up is inherently crazy. The state is undoubtedly rushing it though. That's the bottom line of my shit posting.

I'm not even sure they're rushing it. Things have been closed down for almost a month and a half. That's plenty of time to get emergency funding set up for emergency care for uninsured Americans, emergency unemployment for Americans forced to close, ample testing strategy and capacity for this reopen, and a threshold plan upon which forced closing would reoccur if met. 

All things that should have been done since the shut down began but were not. I don't think anyone is against reopening businesses, we are just against reopening businesses blind without precautions or a proper plan in place. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 4th&Five said:

Opening at even 50% isn’t viable either and these motherfuckers asserting otherwise are playing make believe. I’ll re-post something a FB friend of mine (who owns a restaurant in Deep Ellum, btw) said:

”Restaurants have the slimmest of margins in the best of times. There is absolutely no way that I can pay rent, property taxes, utilities, insurance, and all the rest on 50% capacity and/or or limited hours. How do I pay a full salary or regular hourly on 50% of revenue? Rent, property taxes, insurance, the list goes on. 

Someone gonna subsidize my utilities, my rent, my insurance, my etc?

And I’m not even getting into employment liability/premises liability issues. What happens if an employee gets sick? Do I shut down and test my entire staff? Do I tell the public a cook had the Covid? Will the public come back in? If I don’t tell the public, and an outbreak is traced back to me, do I get sued into oblivion?

I have 100 other points and questions, by the way.

Non-restaurant owners casually throwing around “well just open up at half capacity” simply do not understand the restaurant business.”

• Like 9

Am I the only one that doesn't give a shit about them calling it the "Democrat" party?  It's yet another juvenile troll job because that's what the R party is: juvenile trolls.  Troll on with your bad selves, just know that you look fucking stupid in everything you do.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, workswithseed said:

No, but the Pub Party sounds much more fun.

I always thought of it as more of a short hand like saying Coke instead of Coca-Cola. Technically wrong, but gets the point across.

so do you call it the Republic Party? Because you'd sound dumb if you did.