Texas Re-Opening Announced

Storm the Field

9 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

It is an interesting and unprecedented question, so there is no easy answer.

But the most recent order from the governor seems to just be about asserting MY authority over local government instead of protecting people in the event of a disaster, which seems to me to not be the intent of an emergency disaster statute. Unless one wants to argue that putting people back to work is somehow the intent of such a statute.

My only quibble is that anyone who says it's an easy question, at least based on Tex. Gov. Code Chapter 418, is oversimplifying it.

I definitely agree that the way he's gone about it now seems beyond the pale (the suspension, although there is a provision that permits suspension of some laws/regulations, it's fairly clear to me that it's only those pertaining to "state business," not local or private business).

I guess what I was hoping to provoke was a citation to the Texas equivalent of "federal courts are courts of limited jurisdiction" that pertains to the Governor.  Something to the effect of the Governor of Texas has no inherent or implied authority.  If authority is not expressly found in the Constitution or laws of the State of Texas, it doesn't exist (which I think is an accurate statement of the law, but couldn't produce a citation and havent found one casually googling).

Also, no one has done it yet, but don't construe my legal noodling as support for the new orders or for Abbott.  I'm just curious about the legality of it.

Edited by TwiceHorn

Just now, TwiceHorn said:

My only quibble is that anyone who says it's an easy question, at least based on Tex. Gov. Code Chapter 418 is oversimplifying it.

I definitely agree that the way he's gone about it now seems beyond the pale (the suspension, although there is a provision that permits suspension of some laws/regulations, it's fairly clear to me that it's only those pertaining to "state business," not local or private business).

I agree 

I'm going to brave the Lowe's today but as a pickup/curbside.  No restaurants. People in our community have been nothing but complaining about not being able to sit down and eat at their favorite restaurant so since they are so eager, they can go and eat. I made a pot roast that came from the sale bin yesterday along with potatoes and carrots. We're going to have some tasty leftovers w/o any contagion.

Guest Lobo

Yeah, I watched armed people in my city protest the Capitol so that today they can go to Golden Corral today and touch servingware touched by 500 people.   And what’s that thing you do with your hands while you’re eating at a buffet?  Oh yeah; touch your face.  

hope the spike is worth it. 

That said, i’m having a work meeting at a bar tomorrow.  

22 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Yeah, I watched armed people in my city protest the Capitol so that today they can go to Golden Corral today and touch servingware touched by 500 people.   And what’s that thing you do with your hands while you’re eating at a buffet?  Oh yeah; touch your face.  

hope the spike is worth it. 

That said, i’m having a work meeting at a bar tomorrow.  

Perhaps you should start with a "slåinte mhaith," "cheers," or "å votre santé" just to get things started on the right path.

Holy hell it is the oldpocalypse out here today. It's the first of the month and the 3rd of the month (big SSA day) wrapped up in one business day which is always fairly busy, but it has been insane with lines to the streets all day. 90% of them are >60 years old getting cash to spend this weekend.

14 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Holy hell it is the oldpocalypse out here today. It's the first of the month and the 3rd of the month (big SSA day) wrapped up in one business day which is always fairly busy, but it has been insane with lines to the streets all day. 90% of them are >60 years old getting cash to spend this weekend.

Where are you talking about?

15 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Do olds not use credit or debit cards?

1 minute ago, Ghost of LL said:

Where are you talking about?

It's not a run on the bank but rather seems like bears awaking from hibernation.

Just now, Biff Tannen said:

Do olds not use credit or debit cards?

You're hilarious. A lot of them here don't have checking accounts so they live off cash and money orders. You'd be amazed at the number of olds, especially in poorer neighborhoods like this one, that are living like it is 1985.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

You're hilarious. A lot of them here don't have checking accounts so they live off cash and money orders. You'd be amazed at the number of olds, especially in poorer neighborhoods like this one, that are living like it is 1985.

I think the poor part makes sense, not so much the old part.  Checks, yes.  Cash?  How old are we talking here?  My parents are both 70 and I don't think they've used cash in years.

4 hours ago, trauma babe said:

Super-thrilled to be bedside this weekend. 👍

The irony of a massive "fuck you" from the governor to workers in Texas on May Day/International Workers Day. 

On the heels of reports over half of Dallas county hospitalizations for the virus are essential workers. 

Essential workers should strike for less contact with the public/safer conditions and hospital workers should strike until Abbott closes shit down again. 

29 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I think the poor part makes sense, not so much the old part.  Checks, yes.  Cash?  How old are we talking here?  My parents are both 70 and I don't think they've used cash in years.

55+ in this area especially with the poorer rural whites who don't trust anything but cash. They're the same ones that call everyday to check their balance but want to spend 35 minutes discussing how good Trump is doing and how this is a plague from God because of all the sin in the world today. The most interesting one is a 45ish year old lady that last year came into my office to get a loan. I have some artifacts from pre-Columbian Mexico and Ecuador in my office and she asked me if I've ever gotten cancer since I purchased them. She told me that God was sure to do something to me since I had purcased those pagan idols and that she knew an antique dealer that had died from cancer after buying a figurine of a false God. So you know we have a good time out here in the fringes of society.

We aren't even dealing with the worst class of people financially either as there is a large % of this country that doesn't have or even can't have (charge offs at previous banks) bank accounts and live off of the check cashing places that Trump supposedly destroyed.

Edited by SimonBolivar
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Are your parents in poverty? Seems that's who he's talking about

2 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

55+ in this area especially with the poorer rural whites who don't trust anything but cash. They're the same ones that call everyday to check their balance but want to spend 35 minutes discussing how good Trump is doing and how this is a plague from God because of all the sin in the world today. The most interesting one is a 45ish year old lady that last year came into my office to get a loan. I have some artifacts from pre-Columbian Mexico and Ecuador in my office and she asked me if I've ever gotten cancer since I purchased them. She told me that God was sure to do something to me since I had purcased those pagan idols and that she knew an antique dealer that had died from cancer after buying a figuring of a false God. So you know we have a good time out here in the fringes of society.

We aren't even dealing with the worst class of people financially either as there is a large % of this country that doesn't have or even can't have (charge offs at previous banks) bank accounts and live off of the check cashing places that Trump supposedly destroyed.

WQiEcDD.gif

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

I have some artifacts from pre-Columbian Mexico and Ecuador in my office and she asked me if I've ever gotten cancer since I purchased them. She told me that God was sure to do something to me since I had purcased those pagan idols and that she knew an antique dealer that had died from cancer after buying a figuring of a false God.

Missed a great opportunity to flay her skin and dance in it.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

55+ in this area especially with the poorer rural whites who don't trust anything but cash. They're the same ones that call everyday to check their balance but want to spend 35 minutes discussing how good Trump is doing and how this is a plague from God because of all the sin in the world today. The most interesting one is a 45ish year old lady that last year came into my office to get a loan. I have some artifacts from pre-Columbian Mexico and Ecuador in my office and she asked me if I've ever gotten cancer since I purchased them. She told me that God was sure to do something to me since I had purcased those pagan idols and that she knew an antique dealer that had died from cancer after buying a figuring of a false God. So you know we have a good time out here in the fringes of society.

I would have been fired from your job in probably less than a week. 

32 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Fuck those people.

Guy was arrested

https://www.kxan.com/news/crime/video-surfaces-of-park-ranger-pushed-into-lake-austin-suspect-arrested/

EDIT:completely unrelated but it’s the 9th anniversary of Bin Ladens death if you need a reason to drink at noon on a Friday and gorge on hotdogs/meats

Edited by StassneyHorn
  • Like 6

Guest Lobo

Pork and Booze tonight to commemorate him baby!  Poor bastard, he was a visionary.  He was under compound lockdown 9 years before it was cool.  Still drowned to death though choking out on the blood in his lung cavity.  

23 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

Guy was arrested

https://www.kxan.com/news/crime/video-surfaces-of-park-ranger-pushed-into-lake-austin-suspect-arrested/

EDIT:completely unrelated but it’s the 9th anniversary of Bin Ladens death if you need a reason to drink at noon on a Friday and gorge on hotdogs/meats

Bin laden? Meh that guy's attack only killed about 3k Americans. America's own politicians are killing almost that many a day now. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Wanker Bob said:

Bin laden? Meh that guy's attack only killed about 3k Americans. America's own politicians are killing almost that many a day now. 

Sad, but true.

The national death toll will cross 65K by day's end: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

The day before Texas opens - deadliest day due to coronavirus: https://www.usnews.com/news/national-news/articles/2020-04-30/texas-reports-deadliest-day-of-pandemic-hours-before-businesses-set-to-reopen

Louisiana and Georgia are reporting spikes in cases (recall, Georgia led the nation with their boneheaded move to completely open up): https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/us-coronavirus-update-05-01-20/index.html

Yet, aggy and tceh are determined to open in the fall with students in residence, so football can be played: https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/495507-texas-tech-am-planning-to-reopen-campus-in-the-fall-play

52 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

55+ in this area especially with the poorer rural whites who don't trust anything but cash. They're the same ones that call everyday to check their balance but want to spend 35 minutes discussing how good Trump is doing and how this is a plague from God because of all the sin in the world today. The most interesting one is a 45ish year old lady that last year came into my office to get a loan. I have some artifacts from pre-Columbian Mexico and Ecuador in my office and she asked me if I've ever gotten cancer since I purchased them. She told me that God was sure to do something to me since I had purcased those pagan idols and that she knew an antique dealer that had died from cancer after buying a figurine of a false God. So you know we have a good time out here in the fringes of society.

I tend to avoid most Antioch folks. 

59 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

You should buy one of these and next time that lady comes in, hand it to her and say here’s your false god idol, happy cancer!

spacer.png

• Like 4

1 hour ago, SimonBolivar said:

Do you work at a bank in Appalachia? 

1 hour ago, SimonBolivar said:

The most interesting one is a 45ish year old lady that last year came into my office to get a loan. I have some artifacts from pre-Columbian Mexico and Ecuador in my office and she asked me if I've ever gotten cancer since I purchased them. She told me that God was sure to do something to me since I had purcased those pagan idols and that she knew an antique dealer that had died from cancer after buying a figurine of a false God.

Damn. I knew I shouldn't have bought that Rick Sutcliffe bobblehead back in the day.

Nothing but gloom, misery, and agony on me and all this time I thought it was because my mom and dad finally got cable.

Guest Lobo
6 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Damn. I knew I shouldn't have bought that Rick Sutcliffe bobblehead back in the day.

Nothing but gloom, misery, and agony on me and all this time I thought it was because my mom and dad finally got cable.

Oh Lord, laughing my ass off.  A Rick Sutcliffe reference, the Red Baron, on this the holiest of days.  And the "freaking me out" coincidences from Surly keep rolling on.  I had a dream about Joe Carter of all people last night (nothing terribly sexual, just some light petting).  And of course he goes on to have a great career but he's how the Cubs get Sutcliffe and should have won it all versus Detroit in '84.  That or I drank too much with Kelly Gruber several years back.  And the beat goes on...