Jump to content
Jack Straw

Check Out This Fucking Sandwich

Recommended Posts

Didn't take pics, because I was hungry.  But made a sammich I love and haven't had in some time -- a BLT on toast, add a slice of cheese and a fried egg.  Crisp bacon and lettuce, thin creamy slices of tomato, melty cheese on a hot fried egg.  GOTDAMN that's living.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/14/2020 at 10:41 AM, ChickenSandwich said:

Breakfast Sandwich. No mayo. 

50004865313_d27fa6de82_b.jpg50005391211_87832e071a_b.jpg

 

Posted in the "Shit I've Cooked Lately" thread. Missed the sandwich thread, somehow.

 

20200716_104115.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't take pics, because I was hungry.  But made a sammich I love and haven't had in some time -- a BLT on toast, add a slice of cheese and a fried egg.  Crisp bacon and lettuce, thin creamy slices of tomato, melty cheese on a hot fried egg.  GOTDAMN that's living.
...and fried bologna.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tried my version of the popeyes chicken sandwich last week, brined overnight with pickle juice and then soaked for a few hours in buttermilk before dredged in seasoned flour and deep fried.  The oil temp got too hot on me and burnt a bit of the crust, so that overpowered the flavor of the chicken a bit but overall I was happy with it.... 

popeyes.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Underdog said:

Tried my version of the popeyes chicken sandwich last week, brined overnight with pickle juice and then soaked for a few hours in buttermilk before dredged in seasoned flour and deep fried.  The oil temp got too hot on me and burnt a bit of the crust, so that overpowered the flavor of the chicken a bit but overall I was happy with it.... 

popeyes.jpg

Popeyes chicken sandwich doesn't have regular mayo.  So, when trying to recreate something, might wanna start with the correct ingredients.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

HEB has some weird pre-brined corned beef things for sale. You just dump it in water with the seasoning packet and simmer for 45 mins per lb. cost $9 for a 2.3 lb package. Made Reubens. Did not suck.
27862776b19bc194eb21c0f83effae46.jpg
cc60c50e9d83766ec49cfd99d163fc8a.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, irishtexan said:

HEB has some weird pre-brined corned beef things for sale. You just dump it in water with the seasoning packet and simmer for 45 mins per lb. cost $9 for a 2.3 lb package. Made Reubens. Did not suck.

Those actually make a pretty killer pastrami if you water soak them a day or 2, changing water a few times, and then rub with the seasoning packet and smoke them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, irishtexan said:

HEB has some weird pre-brined corned beef things for sale. You just dump it in water with the seasoning packet and simmer for 45 mins per lb. cost $9 for a 2.3 lb package. Made Reubens. Did not suck.
27862776b19bc194eb21c0f83effae46.jpg
cc60c50e9d83766ec49cfd99d163fc8a.jpg

I usually pick up one of those for a St. Patrick’s Day feast.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/25/2020 at 11:48 AM, Brisketexan said:

Made my BLT with egg again. Had a little yolk run out, smeared it on the top so as not to lose it.

98e63a22a2c9a9ea0cf25a9bc3e2c6ea.jpg

nice.  mayo, or the Whip?  I feel like you could be a Whip guy in certain, appropriate situations.  like on a BLET sandwich.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

nice.  mayo, or the Whip?  I feel like you could be a Whip guy in certain, appropriate situations.  like on a BLET sandwich.  

Nope, not a Whip man.  A little mayo on one side....and the Trader Joe's version of dona sauce on the other.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Jack Straw said:

whoa.gif

Shit, man....I might even put that stuff on my ice cream.  It's the shit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Shit, man....I might even put that stuff on my ice cream.  It's the shit.

how would you rate it on a scale of 1 to actual doña

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, futureman said:

how would you rate it on a scale of 1 to actual doña

8-9.  It's really remarkably on point.

 

New-from-Trader-Joes-2-1-of-1.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Trader Joe's version of dona sauce on the other.

Been making Dona sauce for the last few months. I used to buy the green sauce that comes in a bag they sell at HEB. But 1) sometimes it can be a little too thick/chunky and 2) at $5 a pop for a small bag i think it's a little pricey. It's much easier to make than I suspected. Broil jalapenos and roast garlic (works if you throw it in the oven while jalapenos are broiling but place in indirect heat), throw jalapenos in bag to steam for a bit, then throw everything in blender with oil and salt. You can de-seed as many jalapenos as you want to control spice level. You can also choose to de-skin the them after but I find that step to be unnecessary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, irishtexan said:

Been making Dona sauce for the last few months. I used to buy the green sauce that comes in a bag they sell at HEB. But 1) sometimes it can be a little too thick/chunky and 2) at $5 a pop for a small bag i think it's a little pricey. It's much easier to make than I suspected. Broil jalapenos and roast garlic (works if you throw it in the oven while jalapenos are broiling but place in indirect heat), throw jalapenos in bag to steam for a bit, then throw everything in blender with oil and salt. You can de-seed as many jalapenos as you want to control spice level. You can also choose to de-skin the them after but I find that step to be unnecessary.

you skin the jalapenos after the steam?  Or leave on?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ChickenSandwich said:

you skin the jalapenos after the steam?  Or leave on?

I've done both, but I don't think skinning them is necessary. You're basically liquefying everything in the blender. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This chick did a pretty thorough attempt to replicate the dona as closely as possible.

http://clairemcwhite.github.io/dona-recipe/

I'm not nearly that scientific. I get a bunch of jalapenos, typically leave seeds in half and de-seed half. Broil them in the oven and put garlic in the same oven but just not under the direct heat. Steam em in a bag for 10 mins, and blend it all with salt and vegetable oil. You could probably add cilantro, lime juice, avocado, etc. After blending I put a splash of white vinegar and pulse once as a preservative.

Sorry for the salsa thread derail...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, irishtexan said:

I've done both, but I don't think skinning them is necessary. You're basically liquefying everything in the blender. 

that sauce gets that doña creamy consistency with just japs, garlic, and oil?  would not have guessed.  always assumed there was some cream in it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saved this from the TOS. Pretty spot on. 

Boil a bunch of jalapenos for 15 minutes
drain the water and let them steam in a bag for 15 minutes.
during all that blend ONE egg yolk, about a 1/4 tsp mustard, 1/4 tsp salt,
and 3 reg.-sized cloves of garlic. Leave it in the blender.
(these ingredients are necessary to make is stay creamy even
after its been in the fridge).
When the peppers have cooled down sufficiently (so that they don't cook the egg) chop off their tops and drip-dry drain the water out of them.
They don't have to be super dry.
Leave the skin and seeds in it.
Drop them into the blender one at a time while it's on.
when all that is going, try to get a nice whirl pool going on and add
a little less that 1/4 Cup of Vegetable oil.
Add that in a few drops at a time to make sure that it's not all just collecting at the top of the liquid.
Blend it up until it is nice and smooth.
That's it.
Enjoy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pretty sure I read years ago the green sauce from el pollo regio was just jalapeños boiled until soft (15-20 minutes) then allowed to cool. Stems removed and then blended in a blender with some soybean oil till it’s the right consistency based on how many jalapeños you used. Then the salt added to taste. The Donna sauce is very similar although it’s not as hot as the ones I get from the Dallas area el pollo regios.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We do the boiled jap sauce pretty often. We boil for 10-15 minutes and place them in the blender with a 1/3C of oil and 1/3C of the Jalapeño water.  We add some garlic toes, s&p and blend until smooth.  We don’t seed or stem the peppers, just blend up the whole damn thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
We do the boiled jap sauce pretty often. We boil for 10-15 minutes and place them in the blender with a 1/3C of oil and 1/3C of the Jalapeño water.  We add some garlic toes, s&p and blend until smooth.  We don’t seed or stem the peppers, just blend up the whole damn thing.

Maybe I’ll make some. But damn, that bottle from Trader Joe’s is easy and convenient. Just had it on my scrambled eggs. Makes me happy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m in Amarillo, the closest TJ is in Albuquerque NM with a state required two week quarantine. Plus it’s more funner to make your own. I know you know this, I’ve seen some of your concoctions.

Speaking of New Mexico, we went through Santa Fe last week and the square is like a freakin ghost town, it was eerie.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since Whataburger refuses to bring back the green chile double, I took matters into my own hands.

2166b08d8b1e455355fa60e0e06f2a14.plist

Hatch chiles have arrived at CM. I left y’all a few.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please tell me how to make that bread, unless it involves a starter, which is a non-starter for me, because I suck at baking and I don't need to make it any more complicated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Please tell me how to make that bread, unless it involves a starter, which is a non-starter for me, because I suck at baking and I don't need to make it any more complicated.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, elfenix said:

Sometimes I need to remind y'all how this is done

 

Heirloom tomato, homemade bread, chipotle mayo:

1d5c098edc4aced9f3247ff0ff27464b.jpg

 

Add bacon

5e508070d86b2a1fd6aaac23e3af9ac9.jpg

 

Add lettuce and more tomato

50fe176e9167dfe992e2c478ad478a8a.jpg

 

 

Enjoy

db5b2eb47a4602592b283a518eaa25e2.jpg

 

 

Homemade Mayo, jar and chipotle mix, or store bought solution?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Homemade Mayo, jar and chipotle mix, or store bought solution?

dukes and chopped chipotle with adobo.  i don't eat enough mayo to make my own. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, elfenix said:

 

He annoys the shit out of me sometimes, but he does some great work. Texas native too

Edited by Hank_Hill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

He annoys the shit out of me sometimes, but he does some great work. Texas native too

I made it 8 seconds. You're a bigger man than I am.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wasn’t sure where to put this. Too fancy for Hey Shank, not fancy enough for Shit I Cooked, but then it is a sammich.... So maybe here?

One-pan egg sammich from Kenji’s YouTube channel. Canadian bacon, aged chedder, green onions, japs. Hot sauce applied between the cheese and bacon. It slammed; will make again & try with other breffiss meats.

9e4af9f42607850bb823c0c6e10b105a.jpg

dd408d899f78703206f9f71a9e15f7cd.jpg

2e2d460c54715e3167ab906be38439ab.jpg

b91d49af00ae9542baa74a834bdadf9f.plist

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


mpu


Football ... Basketball ... Baseball ... Other Sports ... Recruiting ... Gambling ... Movies & TV ... Music ... Hobbies ... Lulz ... Food & Travel ... Daily Texan ... Help ... For Sale ... Politics ... Board Discussion
×
×
  • Create New...