2020 Fall Camp Thread

BurntOrange&White

22 minutes ago, lazygringo said:

You know who this extra year of eligibility really helps? Casey Thompson. He was thinking he'd be losing another year of eligibility riding the bench behind Ehlinger but nope. It's possible that he can graduate transfer (if he doesn't beat out Card next year) and play immediately with 2 years of eligibility. That is assuming Ehlinger doesn't decide to play for 2 more seasons.

All of this was already possibly because he redshirted in 2018. Now he could have 3 years of eligibility after this season if he wants to stay that long. 

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

All of this was already possibly because he redshirted in 2018. Now he could have 3 years of eligibility after this season if he wants to stay that long. 

Oh damn, well even better then. 

I actually think Thompson could be really good for us, if we had to put him in. But yeah Card needs to beat him out if he's going to have any chance of staving off Ewers. Ehlinger returning next season would fuck Card pretty hard.

3 minutes ago, lazygringo said:

Oh damn, well even better then. 

I actually think Thompson could be really good for us, if we had to put him in. But yeah Card needs to beat him out if he's going to have any chance of staving off Ewers. Ehlinger returning next season would fuck Card pretty hard.

Ehlinger won't be returning cause he knows Jackson is the truth

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Casey Thompson never takes a meaningful snap here. And that’s a good thing for us. Jmo 

If Casey DOES get meaningful snaps here (injury to Sam or whatever), I wouldn't be surprised to see him explode.  I think he's really, really good and wouldn't be surprised to see him show out unexpectedly a time or two during this season.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

If Casey DOES get meaningful snaps here (injury to Sam or whatever), I wouldn't be surprised to see him explode.  I think he's really, really good and wouldn't be surprised to see him show out unexpectedly a time or two during this season.

That’s be cool if it happens as a one off/change of pace/what have you. 

13 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Every fall player is granted an extra year of eligibility and an additional year to complete it. Any players that opts to use this additional year after they have competed their traditional eligibility will not count against the financial or team scholarship limits. 

All 85 players on scholarship this year may opt to use an additional year and it won’t count against the 85 limit. So when the freshman are seniors 4 years from now, if they want to, they can choose to play an additional year. 

This is going to make teams very good next year or for the next 4 years. Yes, the NFL guys will leave. But what if you’re a rich school and have a massive hole if OL depth. It would be very beneficial if you convince the non NFL guys that are decent college played to stay another year. 

Not to mention transfers, shit. This will definitely benefit the rich as smaller schools won’t be able to afford the 10 extra scholarships or whatever 

You might even have announcers referring to players using their Covid Year to transfer or he’s a Covid Senior 

So essentially, this year's true freshman have 6 years to play 5 seasons?

13 minutes ago, CBHorn said:

Only if they play this year.  They will still have 5 years to play 4 next year.  Not playing this year doesn't give them 5 to play 5.

I’m admittedly a little hungover but for some reason I’m having a hard time processing this. I don’t understand why it matters, it was my understanding that this year doesn’t count for eligibility for anyone. 

At the start of next season no matter what happens Bijan will effectively be a true freshman, meaning he’ll have 5 years to use his 4 years of eligibility right? Y’all are saying anyone who decides to redshirt is burning that year and then has 4 to play 4 like a normal redshirt? If that’s the case there is an incentive to make sure you don’t redshirt. 

Edited by UncleSonny
Nevermind, I am an idiot and or hungover. You guys were answering that you can’t play five seasons if you didn’t play this season. Carry on.

4 hours ago, Steamboat1874 said:

I think Sam's decision will be made by how many games we actually get to play this year.

If we get to play them all then there is a better chance he leaves.

I we only get to play. say 5 or 6, I think he comes back for a (hopefully) full season next year.

Yeah, unless this season gets cancelled... he's already stated he's not coming back for another year.  This year is the year for him to leave on a high note.  That and he will 100% have a roster spot in the NFL as a QB and has potential to get drafted with a good year.

5 hours ago, Sgt Hulk said:

ideal world  we are up by 40 at half time against utep and bijan and thompson roll out and hang another 30 in the second half 

In the ideal world Thompson is able to run the actual offense for most of the second half and Gabriel Watson is the RB getting the most carries.

• Hook 'Em 1