Sark after dark COACHING STAFF thread

closetohumping

36 minutes ago, ATXbronco said:

Sounds like Drew Brees will retire after the playoffs are over.  I'm shocked he's still in it with all those busted ribs.

Would be nice to put some feelers in and see if he'd be interested in joining the staff and being groomed for an eventual quarterbacks coach type position.

He's not Texas Ex but he is "from" Austin and his Uncle played Quarterback for UT.  

Drew still hates UT for not recruiting him after he tore his ACL his junior year. 

Also, why the fuck would he coach here

1 minute ago, ATXbronco said:

Thanks.  I was clearly being delusional anyhow.

Only Colt McCoy will suffice as our NFL QB turned positional coach.  We must wait.  

If you want a former NFL player, get Romo. I can’t count how many times he knew exactly what the call was going to be. 

• Hook 'Em 1

53 minutes ago, ATXbronco said:

Sounds like Drew Brees will retire after the playoffs are over.  I'm shocked he's still in it with all those busted ribs.

Would be nice to put some feelers in and see if he'd be interested in joining the staff and being groomed for an eventual quarterbacks coach type position.

He's not Texas Ex but he is "from" Austin and his Uncle played Quarterback for UT.  

dos equis facepalm GIF by Dos Equis Gifs to the World
The last decade has taken a toll on all of us. Holy balls...

Edited by Okcool
  • Hook 'Em 1

41 minutes ago, Radical Larry said:

I heard Mahomes is interested. Will coach on Saturdays and fly out immediately after the game to play on Sundays.

Come on Larry, be realistic. Mahomes is not from Austin and does not have an uncle who played at UT.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Fud said:

He’s got his roots deep in Nola now 

Brees to LSU confirmed. 

18 minutes ago, RandomIdoit said:

If you want a former NFL player, get Romo. I can’t count how many times he knew exactly what the call was going to be. 

Well sure, if you want to be realistic about it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

C’mon, man. He could throw his old lady’s g-strings in a Crown Royal bag and the movers could get all the furniture. 

It's funny. I started this process with Banks as probably my #1 desired assistant hire for Sark to land because of his recruiting prowess but now I just want him here for the pet monkey and stripper GF memes 

1 minute ago, EverywhereMan said:

Oh, and Wiggins recent follow of CoachZachSimth - so confirmed -> lock?

Wait.. did Wiggins really follow Zach Smith? I'm going to take that as evidence he really is coming to Texas and he is simply brushing up on his Tom Herman drama so he can better relate to the survivors in our program upon his arrival. 

Reminds me of panchos. Damn. Now I want panchos
That was where we went in between two-a-days in the summer. We'd go back to the field house and do a hard crash before puking it up in the humidity in practice 2. But God that was a glorious 30 to 40 min of scarfing to finish with the flag of heaven.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, BornAndRaised said:

I have to wonder at what point does the flood of information come out. If it really is Banks, Flood, Wiggins, Golding and Milwee, you'd have to assume Sark is gonna hit the ground running before NSD2 right? So immediately after the game? During? Right after?

Texas has got to have a jet ready for him and the guys coming with him in Miami so the can go straight from the game.  

Roach on Tosh

I’ve been told there have been substantial conversations between Tosh Lupoi and Texas. From what I know, if he wants a job there’s an opening here from him. He and Sark are close but I’ve been told it is not for any play calling duties on defense. As I reported last week, Lupoi really wants to come back as a DC and play caller to get back on track towards being a head coach.

One school to watch out for is Oregon. The Ducks have a DC opening and head coach Mario Cristobal is also close with Lupoi. Lupoi also has family in the Pacific Northwest so Oregon would be very intriguing. If Cristobal offers him play calling duties that could be a wrap. 

I’m told he’s still mulling over options.

• Hook 'Em 1

Roach on Tosh
I’ve been told there have been substantial conversations between Tosh Lupoi and Texas. From what I know, if he wants a job there’s an opening here from him. He and Sark are close but I’ve been told it is not for any play calling duties on defense. As I reported last week, Lupoi really wants to come back as a DC and play caller to get back on track towards being a head coach.
One school to watch out for is Oregon. The Ducks have a DC opening and head coach Mario Cristobal is also close with Lupoi. Lupoi also has family in the Pacific Northwest so Oregon would be very intriguing. If Cristobal offers him play calling duties that could be a wrap. 
I'd really like him on staff for recruiting, but if he's demanding play calling responsibilities and oregon will give him that, you just have to move on. The recruiting isn't worth sacrificing the entire defense.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Wayne said:

Roach on Tosh

This feels like it implies it's Golding, just because the DC would be someone able to do LBs or secondary.  Assuming the DC is already hired obviously.

Edited by Teryor

11 minutes ago, Teryor said:

This feels like it implies it's Golding, just because the DC would be someone able to do LBs or secondary.  Assuming the DC is already hired obviously.

If they needed to (in order to add Lupoi to a staff where the DC doesn’t coach CB’s) they could have Joseph coach DB’s, Gideon coach Safeties, Lupoi coach OLB, Davis coach DL, and the DC coach ILB’s. I believe this is the setup Alabama uses. 

11 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:
14 minutes ago, Wayne said:
Roach on Tosh

I'd really like him on staff for recruiting, but if he's demanding play calling responsibilities and oregon will give him that, you just have to move on. The recruiting isn't worth sacrificing the entire defense.

When we hired Joseph it made me wonder if perhaps that was part of also landing Lupoi. His issue at Bama was playcalling but specifically because he just had no advanced grasp on passing defenses. So get him on staff as Co-DC non-playcaller and he can learn from Joseph whose specialty is exactly that (passing defense schemes). Win-win for both of us and it sets Lupoi up to either be more prepared for his next true DC gig or even to be our primary DC if whoever we get to 'run' the defense gets a HC gig within first couple of years. I have serious doubts Oregon is going to hand him the keys to their entire defense any more than we would and a second failing by Lupoi would probably mark the forseeable end to his full DC / HC dreams so maybe he will be more open minded to what we can provide. Unlikely but it could happen. 

The problem in that scenario is we still have no one who can coach CBs / LBs and generally Lupoi has focused on the DL. Maybe he focuses instead on LBs and Golding shifts back to being a secondary coach like he was earlier in his career? I'll just say it right now that if we roll into 2021 with only Joseph, whose not really a player development guy nor a corner-specialty guy either, and Blake goddamn Giddeon as our only two secondary coaches we deserve the impending disaster that heralds. Maybe you get some dynamite sub-assistant level guys or something

5 hours ago, Sir Ulrich said:

If Josh Brown is to still be believed then things may get interesting Tuesday

HMMMM.jpg

Of the potential coaching targets that Josh Brown has followed, have you checked to see which of them have followed him back? If the thought is that JB is in some way involved in the hiring or onboarding process, that would seem relevant since most people have their Twitter account set to where they can't be DM'ed by anyone that they don't follow.