Mavs stop playing anthem before games

Post Oak

Now, the meeting of the World Congress on Ultrasound in Medical Education.  Would the fetus have to also stand for the National Anthem since they are already a citizen, or...how does that work Dan?  How the fuck did a plus-sized Kohl's model get to be the fucking Lt. Governor of my great state?  ANybody!?!!?

56 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

Change it from 3/4 to 4/4 time and the song is much more listenable. 3/4 time is for waltzes. 

Whitney did it well in 4/4 time:

It's not so much that it's in 3/4 time as it is all the stops and starts throughout it that make it so damned choppy to listen to.  I can't really read sheet music anymore because I last did it 30 years ago, but I remember what a pain in the ass that song was to conduct because of all the stops and starts.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Zepol87 said:

It should be played at national team games only. I like this

The same instinct that led us to start playing the national anthem before our domestic league athletic competitions is probably the same instinct that has us calling the champions of those same domestic leagues WORLD CHAMPIONS. In terms of history and traditions we're new money that just tends to overdue things. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Singing the national anthem all the time doesn’t make you patriotic.  There are plenty of really fucking awful people who go to church every Sunday and they are still really fucking awful people. Same thing here.  So if it doesn’t do that then just doing it like it’s a bodily function cheapens it a bit.  I’d say do it opening day/game, around Vets and Memorial Day and 4th of July and for international and big events.   Sure if VY is about to lay the hammer down on USC at the Rose Bowl fire that motherfucker up and send a B-2 over.  Is it really necessary to play it before Shaka takes his spaz offense to Manhattan, Kansas to barely escape with a win

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, washparkhorn said:

Change it from 3/4 to 4/4 time and the song is much more listenable. 3/4 time is for waltzes. 

Whitney did it well in 4/4 time:

As a veteran and musician, I'm a traditionalist when it comes to the National Anthem. It should have a three feel, not four; it's a drinking song afterall, so it should sound like it. When they yell, Stars fans are engaging a drunken tradition with the tune that predates the US Constitution.

https://ks4.imslp.info/files/imglnks/usimg/f/ff/IMSLP534456-PMLP31185-levy-000-002.pdf

I'd support Abbot's proposed law if it required the singing of all verses. If we're going to do it, let's do all the way. Make sure to include the Oliver Wendall Holmes Sr. verse:

When our land is illumined with Liberty's smile,
If a foe from within strike a blow at her glory,
Down, down with the traitor that dares to defile
The flag of her stars and the page of her story!
By the millions unchained, who our birthright have gained,
We will keep her bright blazon forever unstained!
And the Star-Spangled Banner in triumph shall wave
While the land of the free is the home of the brave.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Willfully Horn said:

It’s the music. 

Play the pledge, set to music. Different musical approach every game. Bring RDCanecutter in as an advisor.

The FUCK you tryin to get me killed for?

But random thoughts:

1. Just sing the song enthusiastically. But use the third stanza.

2. Mumble-hum the song as usual, while faux-masturbating with a Dan Goeb handpuppet.

3. Hire a really flaming actor to play the part of Francis Scott Key, have him leap about acrobatically during the rendition.

4. Follow Dan Goeb everywhere, blasting the song.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

22 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

The national anthem allows people to display a fair amount of virtue signaling at sporting events. My guess is that they ignore the national anthem when they’re watching a game at home and it’s playing on tv.

I ignore sirens and phones ringing on the TV too...tits are real though.

What of it?

Edited by slorch

What does "we are hearing those who say the anthem does not represent them" mean?

I could not care less if you play the anthem or not, like most of you. I just don't understand what not playing it is supposed to mean. Black people don't feel like the National Anthem represents them because America still struggles with racism? Is that what we are supposed to get out of this? I wish the Mavs would be prescriptive here.

20 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

What does "we are hearing those who say the anthem does not represent them" mean?

I could not care less if you play the anthem or not, like most of you. I just don't understand what not playing it is supposed to mean. Black people don't feel like the National Anthem represents them because America still struggles with racism? Is that what we are supposed to get out of this? I wish the Mavs would be prescriptive here.

They have better taste in music than folks that don’t pay attention when the song is played, then whine like bitches when it isn’t.  The song is crap.   America the Beautiful or GFTO.

21 minutes ago, Ted Lange said:

They have better taste in music than folks that don’t pay attention when the song is played, then whine like bitches when it isn’t.  The song is crap.   America the Beautiful or GFTO.

I'm with yea.

In fact, the National Anthem doesn't represent me either because I've never been to war or want to be in a war situation. Play it, don't play it, who cares. Luka still gonna triple double.

42 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

The anthem is a “song” about freedom and breaking away from Britain or whatever you want it to mean. Black Americans, who largely weren’t considered American or people, didn’t get freedom until another 100 years afterwards, and still had plenty of issues after their emancipation. That’s why the anthem COULD not represent them. Can google Lift Every Voice and Sing for a different viewpoint.

• Fuck You 2

20 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

The anthem is a “song” about freedom and breaking away from Britain or whatever you want it to mean. Black Americans, who largely weren’t considered American or people, didn’t get freedom until another 100 years afterwards, and still had plenty of issues after their emancipation. That’s why the anthem COULD not represent them. Can google Lift Every Voice and Sing for a different viewpoint.

You’ve got the wrong war with Britain in mind.

13 minutes ago, Parliament said:

Our National Anthem should be "America the Beautiful." If you are offended by THAT; if you think America is in fact NOT beautiful, just move to Russia or something.

America the Beautiful is essentially a prayer if you pay attention to the lyrics. I imagine many would find that offensive.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 hours ago, hayden_horn said:

i love the anthem as much as any american, i reckon, but you know what liverpool fc plays before their games in the uk? you never walk alone. god save the queen is reserved for international matches. our masturbatory national anthem shit is stupid.

and most people really wouldn't notice. look, i would sit in dkr and take off my hat and do all the right shit when they present the colors and do the anthem. but i'm much more about the eyes and texas fight at that moment, as is right. 

maybe for a national championship or a super bowl, i guess. before every game? fuck right off. 

Agree to disagree about the anthem, but I've always thought color guards coming out for them was super excessively masturbatory. It's a fucking game of hoops, not the tomb of the unknown soldier. 

• Hook 'Em 1

The flags, the songs, the aircraft flyovers, the fireworks, the pledge of allegiance.  So much nationalistic pageantry and perfunctory rituals embedded in our society to remind us how awesome it is to be free.  

The BEST part is making it obligatory. Because nothing screams “freedom!” like making people engage in acts of worship of the State.

We’ve become satire, and we’re too fucking dumb to realize it.
  • Hook 'Em 3

55 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

The BEST part is making it obligatory. Because nothing screams “freedom!” like making people engage in acts of worship of the State.

I said the pledge every day in elementary school.  The last 5 years have made me realize how stupid that was. My WWII grandpas would object to my thinking it was stupid, but I would like to think they would cut me a little slack if my heart was in the right place.  It saddens me that they died before they could slap their children back into reality, because I believe that is what they would have done if they were still alive.

10 hours ago, Lobo said:

So, and believe me this is a big hypothetical, but what would say to some kind of a Tits Anthem on TV Peter, would that do anything for you?  

I'm in.   Unite the people...

11 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I live in a parish named after a confederate general near a US military base named after another confederate general in a State named after the longest ruling monarch in Europe.  

But please tell me again how awesome our propaganda is. 

How do you make it each day with such emotional scarring?

I don't care if they play it or not.  I don't care if you stand or not.

I have always liked the song and it means a lot to me.  I don't expect it to translate to everyone, certainly the doom and gloomers who hate this country.

It's always funny to me that they play it in the NBA, MLB, and NHL with so many international players.  They don't seem to mind.   It's fucked-up Americans who seem to get in the twist.  WE'RE NEVER GOING TO BE A PERFECT COUNTRY.  That's not a reason to shitcan everything.

Edited by slorch

10 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

The flags, the songs, the aircraft flyovers, the fireworks, the pledge of allegiance.  So much nationalistic pageantry and perfunctory rituals embedded in our society to remind us how awesome it is to be free.  

A little patriotism is fine.  We have a holiday for that.   Over the top patriotism mixed with ignorance is how we actually function here.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Chico_SA said:

Just play this at every game.  It will make some people happy, some people crack up, and some think..."wait, something wasn't right there"  but they would still be happy.

Damn, how old is that?  48 stars on the flag and the heathens hadn't allowed under God to be added yet.

12 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Who is being required to worship the state? Is this about Colin K, or something else? Just wondering, not interested in a CK debate or anything like that.

5 minutes ago, Hookah Horns said:

Who is being required to worship the state? Is this about Colin K, or something else? Just wondering, not interested in a CK debate or anything like that.

See the Dan Patrick bill.  See the mandatory pledge in schools.  As just a couple of examples.

The whole national-anthem-before-a-sporting-event thing has annoyed me for a long time.  And I haven't been particularly shy about saying so to those around me at sporting events.

One of those sporting events was with my father years ago, and he muttered back to me "just be happy you weren't around when they played it before the beginning of every movie at the theater."  I gave him a weird look.  And I still don't get that.  Was that a thing?

19 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

fucking lulz.  JFC our politicians are so fucking stupid and reactionary (unless, you know it's about combatting a pandemic).  They couldn't care less that the actual capitol building and the actual people that make up the government were  attacked but let's whip up a new bill to protect a fucking song and mandate that it be played .

Can we hurry up and just become AI's bitch?

2 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

The whole national-anthem-before-a-sporting-event thing has annoyed me for a long time.  And I haven't been particularly shy about saying so to those around me at sporting events.

One of those sporting events was with my father years ago, and he muttered back to me "just be happy you weren't around when they played it before the beginning of every movie at the theater."  I gave him a weird look.  And I still don't get that.  Was that a thing?

I'm old enough to remember when TV stations went off the air every night for a few hours.  The last announcement they would make every night was how they were going off the air and a flag would pop up on the screen and the national anthem would play.  

Just now, NameAlreadyInUse said:

I'm old enough to remember when TV stations went off the air every night for a few hours.  The last announcement they would make every night was how they were going off the air and a flag would pop up on the screen and the national anthem would play.  

Oh, I remember that, too.  And then you'd just get a test pattern with a high-pitched whine for five hours.