2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)

closetojumping

Bobby:

Eric and I spent much of the video I posted last night discussing the portal needs, and needs in general, for the Longhorns’ offense.

What we didn’t say is that we are already hearing some names as potential portal candidates. It’s only natural for any of us at IT to hear of possible candidates. But the key word is “possible”.

None of the players, at least to my knowledge as of this morning, have entered their names into the transfer portal.

So by merely mentioning them, we, and others, would be putting a target squarely on their backs within their own current teams and coaching staffs. That’s not fair to them, not until or unless their declaration of intent.

The point of this post is two-fold: yes, we are hearing of possible specific additions via the portal (including one name I don’t think has ever been previously associated with Texas). However, I feel fans are going to have to become accustomed to the media’s more nuanced handling of portal players.

I’m sure there will be certain instances when we will be able to alter the approach, but probably not many. Not until they enter their name in the portal.

I think it’s fair to expect the portal to heat up at the end of college football’s regular season.

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Bobby:

Eric and I spent much of the video I posted last night discussing the portal needs, and needs in general, for the Longhorns’ offense.

What we didn’t say is that we are already hearing some names as potential portal candidates. It’s only natural for any of us at IT to hear of possible candidates. But the key word is “possible”.

None of the players, at least to my knowledge as of this morning, have entered their names into the transfer portal.

So by merely mentioning them, we, and others, would be putting a target squarely on their backs within their own current teams and coaching staffs. That’s not fair to them, not until or unless their declaration of intent.

The point of this post is two-fold: yes, we are hearing of possible specific additions via the portal (including one name I don’t think has ever been previously associated with Texas). However, I feel fans are going to have to become accustomed to the media’s more nuanced handling of portal players.

I’m sure there will be certain instances when we will be able to alter the approach, but probably not many. Not until they enter their name in the portal.

I think it’s fair to expect the portal to heat up at the end of college football’s regular season.

This is worthy of the '$9.95 worth every penny' thread, too.

"We don't have anything to share, but just trust us that we know which players are going to be in the portal, but we can't tell you."

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

"We don't have anything to share, but just trust us that we know which players are going to be in the portal, but we can't tell you."

It's also the correct response. Stuff like this getting out is the reason JSN isn't on the team.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Rage+1 1

18 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

As Viper said, our 995'ers need to stfu when it comes to portal potential and sit on literally everything until the player puts himself in the portal then begin your speculation. Doing so prior is a sure fire way to fuck anything up.

• Hook 'Em 4

As Viper said, our 995'ers need to stfu when it comes to portal potential and sit on literally everything until the player puts himself in the portal then begin your speculation. Doing so prior is a sure fire way to fuck anything up.

Agreed, thats probably why FCB spouted off at the fucking mouth today

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

What did he say?

Spoiler

Sophomore receiver Jordan Whittington, who had surgery to repair a broken clavicle suffered in the fourth quarter of UT’s game against Oklahoma on Oct. 9, is practicing this week and, right now, the plan is for him to take the field at West Virginia this Saturday at 11 am CT (on ESPN2).

Getting Whittington back just more than a month since suffering the injury is huge for Texas … as long as there isn’t a setback.

I don’t need to break down how thin Texas has been at receiver and how valuable Whittington has been on third down this season.

Texas board of regents chairman Kevin Eltife attended football practice Wednesday to see Steve Sarkisian and the coaching staff and lend them his support and encouragement.

Steve Sarkisian said Monday there could be as many as 33 new players on the Longhorns’ roster next season.

Talk about a complete rebuild - unless all the new talent can ball like Sarkisian’s top recruit of 2021 - freshman receiver Xavier Worthy.

Texas currently has 20 seniors listed on its roster. At least six of those seniors - DeMarvion Overshown, D'Shawn Jamison, Ryan Bujcevski, Anthony Cook, Josh Thompson and Cameron Dicker - could use their COVID-19 redshirt to return next season if the coaches want them to return and if the players want to return.

We’re hearing the coaches would like for Overshown, Jamison, Thompson and Cook to return. But, as of right now it’s unclear what those players will do.

Where things get interesting is on special teams. While Bujcevski is likely to move on, Dicker is seriously considering coming back for the 2022 season, because he’s closing in on several big school records, including the most points scored in a career, according to a source close to the situation.

Right now, Dicker has scored 371 points in his UT career, which trails only running backs Ricky Williams (452, 1995-98) and Cedric Benson (404, 2001-04). Dicker has scored 73 points this season on 9-of-11 field goal attempts and 46-of-46 points after touchdowns. And this has been a light year for Dicker in terms of field goal attempts. He was 18-of-25 as a freshman in 2018; 14-of-18 in 2019; and 15-of-21 in 2020.

The problem is Texas already has a scholarship tied up in punter Isaac Pearson, who is currently listed as Dicker’s backup at punter. And Texas has a commitment from three-star kicker Will Stone of Austin Regents. Two scholarships tied up between kickers/punters is considered a lot - let alone three scholarships.

“Right now, I think it’s 70-30 that Dicker wants to come back for another year,” a source said. “We’ll see what the coaches want.”

Obviously, there would have to be a whole lot of players run off … er … who decide to move on from the program to make room for 33 new players.

And that process has begun, we’re told.

I mentioned being surprised not to see sophomore offensive lineman Tyler Johnson as part of the travel squad to Iowa State a couple weeks ago.

As I’ve stated previously, Tom Herman’s staff placed a high priority on getting Johnson developed as a starter for the 2021 season - even starting Johnson at right guard in last season’s Alamo Bowl victory over Colorado - a game in which Johnson graded out pretty well.

Johnson, however, hasn’t been practicing or traveling with the team for the past three weeks, a source told Horns247. Depending on who you talk to, Johnson is either suspended from the team or simply done with football at Texas (or both), although his name hasn’t surfaced yet in the transfer portal.

Johnson never exhibited the urgency and intensity offensive coordinator Kyle Flood was looking for, according to a source.

Another team source said Johnson, a four-star recruit in UT’s 2019 class, was content to be a part of the team and wear the UT gear around campus and down on Sixth Street, but “had other interests and just lacked the want-to to be great. Had the physical tools. Just didn’t want it badly enough.”

Johnson was the No. 58 prospect nationally; No. 9 in Texas and the No. 8 offensive tackle in the 2019 class, according to the 247Sports composite ranking.

Senior receiver Montrell Estell is also no longer with the team, a source told Horns247.

Estell played in 27 games as a defensive back, including two starts in 2019 against Oklahoma State and TCU, before switching to receiver for the 2021 season.

On Monday, Sarkisian said there’ll be a priority on bringing in top offensive and defensive linemen as part of his roster overhaul.

“This is still an in-the-trenches game,” Sarkisian said. “And when you can win the line of scrimmage, you bolster your chances of winning football games, and I think we’re doing a heck of a job recruiting that.

“If we can keep the guys here that are good players for us, which is the plan, they’re more mature. They’re more physical. They’ve been in a college weightlifting program. They’re becoming grown men. They have more experience either blocking or taking on blocks.”

From what we’re hearing, the guys currently in the trenches who Sarkisian would like to keep on the offensive line include: juniors Junior Angilau and Christian Jones; sophomore Isaiah Hookfin; redshirt freshmen Jake Majors, Andrej Karic, Logan Parr and Jaylen Garth; as well as true freshman Hayden Conner.

On the defensive line, the coaches want everyone currently in the two-deep to come back and want to add to that group - as evidenced by UT’s current list of commitments for 2022.

Heard this week junior tight end Jared Wiley (seven catches for 43 yards and two touchdowns in 2021) is thinking about moving on from UT.

Texas loses super senior tight end Cade Brewer (14 catches for 115 yards and two TDs in 2021) to graduation.

Sarkisian has said he believes freshmen tight ends Gunnar Helm, Ja'Tavion Sanders and Juan Davis are going to be big-time players for Texas.

(Photo: © Jeffrey Becker, USA TODAY Sports)
One of the biggest questions going into the final two games of the regular season is what does Sarkisian plan to do at quarterback heading into 2022?

Sarkisian got the full backing of athletic director Chris Del Conte Tuesday in Del Conte’s weekly 40 Acres Insider newsletter.

Ten games into the season, however, Sarkisian has yet to give his backing to the futures of Casey Thompson or Hudson Card at Texas beyond the next game.

Thompson, who has started eight games this season and will be UT’s starter Saturday at West Virginia, was asked this week what he has to do to get Sarkisian’s full backing as UT’s quarterback?

“I think I just need to continue to prove myself and make the most of my opportunities,” Thompson said. “As a competitor and me being a part of this team and just playing this game, I want to win. I want to compete, but I also want to play from start to finish.

“So if I’m going to strap up and lace my cleats, I want to play every snap - every down. But, at the end of the day, Coach Sark has to do what he feels is best for the team.”

Through 10 games, Thompson has led Texas to points on 49 of 90 drives (54.4 percent), including 40 touchdowns and nine field goals while completing 64.3 percent of his passes with a Big 12-leading 23 touchdown passes and seven interceptions.

In Sam Ehlinger’s final three seasons at Texas as the starting quarterback, Ehlinger averaged 27 TD passes, seven interceptions and a 63.4 percent completion rate.

Card has led Texas to points on nine of his 34 drives (26.5 percent), including eight touchdowns and one field goal.

Despite Card leading Texas to points on just one of 11 drives in a 30-7 loss at Iowa State, including five straight three-and-outs totaling minus-25 yards spanning the second and third quarters (when UT’s defense finally gave out), Sarkisian decided to rotate Thompson and Card against Kansas.

Both Thompson and Card suffered strip sacks by Kansas defensive end Kyron Johnson.

Johnson beat junior left tackle Christian Jones for the strip-sack of Thompson on UT’s first drive and beat redshirt freshman left tackle Andrej Karic for the strip-sack of Card with 1:35 left in the second quarter.

Both fumbles led to touchdowns by the Jayhawks.

Following the strip-sack of Card, Sarkisian put Card back in the game for a third straight series after giving Thompson the first two series in the game.

With 1:09 remaining, Texas had the ball at its own 19, and on first down, Card stared down his intended target on an out route, and Kansas freshman cornerback Jacobee Bryant easily jumped the route and returned the interception 31 yards for a pick-six that put KU up 35-14 with one minute left in the half.

Thompson was the only quarterback who played in the second half, leading the Longhorns to touchdowns on five of their final eight possessions, including a three-play drive with :44 left (and no timeouts), capped by a 25-yard TD pass to tight end Cade Brewer with :22 left in regulation, tying the game 49-49 and forcing overtime.

Thompson suffered an interception with 1:10 left in regulation when Worthy, who had a huge game with 14 receptions for 152 yards and three touchdowns, inexplicably cut behind the defender on a post route, allowing Kansas safety O.J. Burroughs to make an easy pickoff. Worthy was supposed to cross the face of the safety on the route.

(Photo: © Scott Wachter, USA TODAY Sports)
In the first possession of overtime, Thompson hit Marcus Washington for an 8-yard TD pass, giving Thompson a total of seven touchdowns, including a school single-game record-tying, six TD passes, matching Colt McCoy’s six TD passes against Baylor in 2006.

Thompson also had a 1-yard rushing touchdown early in the third quarter, capping an 11-play, 65-yard scoring drive that helped erase Kansas’ 35-14 halftime lead.

Thompson became the first quarterback in the Big 12 since Kyler Murray to throw for six touchdowns with a rushing TD in a game and the first QB in the Big 12 since Patrick Mahomes in 2016 to have multiple five-touchdown passing games with a rushing touchdown (Texas Tech, KU).

With his COVID-19 redshirt, Thompson has two more years of eligibility. So is he worth bringing back with the Longhorns next season? Or is he part of Sarkisian’s plan to turn over the roster because Sarkisian is already looking for a transfer portal quarterback?

The case for Thompson to be brought back as the starter would be:

He’s just eight starts into his college career and already has shown he can handle the big stage against Oklahoma (20 of 34 passing, 388 yards, 5 TDs, no turnovers). Most of the key players on the defenses that gave Thompson the most trouble - Oklahoma State, Baylor and Iowa State - are seniors this season.

Despite a thin and inconsistent receiving corps, a struggling offensive line and a thumb injury on his throwing hand the past five games, Thompson is the first quarterback in Texas history to throw for five TDs in three games (Texas Tech, OU and Kansas). Colt McCoy had two (six vs Baylor in 2006; and five vs Baylor in 2008).

In UT’s loss at Baylor, Texas receivers dropped four passes in critical situations (one in the end zone, another was intercepted).

Does the Kansas game turn out differently if Sarkisian doesn’t rotate quarterbacks?

If Sarkisian doesn’t start talking about Thompson as his starting quarterback going into next season soon, is Sarkisian telling us he’ll be going into the portal to start over completely at the position next season?

“Casey competed his tail off and played extremely well,” Sarkisian said Monday of Thompson’s seven-TD performance against Kansas. “Obviously, going into this week’s game, Casey is going to be our starting quarterback.

“Ultimately, you know we can identify Casey, but I think he’s a microcosm of the entire roster. It’s about consistency, and it’s about playing with consistency at whatever our role is on our football team for any player.”

Thompson couldn’t get an opportunity on the field the past three seasons behind Ehlinger until Ehlinger injured his shoulder at halftime of the Alamo Bowl last season against Colorado. Even though Thompson led UT to points on all five of his drives in the second half of that game, fans seemed more excited about the idea of Card at quarterback heading into this season.

Card started the season but led UT to points on just one of 10 drives in a 40-21 loss at Arkansas.

Thompson has started every game since.

Thompson’s two worst games of the season came against Oklahoma State (15-of-27 passing for 179 yards and a TD with two interceptions, including a pick-six) and at Iowa State, when his thumb injury flared up and he was pulled after four series (2-of-6 passing for 2 yards).

But Thompson played well enough to win against:

— Oklahoma … 20-of-34 passing for 388 yards and five TDs as the offense put up 48 points.

— Baylor … 23-of-38 passing for 280 yards and two TDs with five carries for 45 yards, including a 25-yard run as well as one interception that went through Joshua Moore’s hands.

— Kansas … 30-of-43 passing for 358 yards and six TDs as well as six carries for 28 yards and a TD as the offense put up 56 points.

Those who’ve said Thompson didn’t play well at TCU - he led the offense to points on seven of UT’s first 10 drives, including a 12-play, 75-yard drive to a 32-yard touchdown pass to Jordan Whittington with 13:46 left, putting Texas up by 12. On that drive, Thompson converted two third downs with his feet.

Some folks have said I’ve been a Thompson homer. I think I’ve just tried to point out what Thompson has been able to do when he gets an opportunity on the field - whether it was Mike Yurcich’s offense or Sarkisian’s.

It’s hard to argue Thompson has been doubted since he arrived on campus - buried behind Ehlinger, Cam Rising and even Card - by fans and coaches. And when he’s gotten opportunities, Thompson has shown he prepares and battles.

Thompson said Monday, “I’m just trying to take one week at a time. I mean, every week is different. We don’t always have the same guys playing on Saturdays. Guys get injured. Guys get sick. So, it’s always flowing, always changing. We just have to be able to adapt as a team and as individuals. That’s what I’m trying to do as well as keeping the mindset of, ‘I just want to get better as a football player, as a quarterback and as a leader.’”

Thompson’s latest audition for Sarkisian’s backing will come Saturday in Morgantown.

Texas fans
(Photo: © Scott Wachter, USA TODAY Sports)
An update to the update on plans for UT’s new indoor football practice facility:

Last week I mentioned Texas buying Dobie 21 and plans to move the McCombs School of Business over to the Dobie complex, which could lead to the school of social work moving from just south of DKR to where McCombs is currently located on Speedway.

That would free up the property where the school of social work is located currently for a new indoor football practice facility (between the student recreation center just south of DKR and the Jamail Swim Center).

COMMENTS
A few more details:

The new McCombs School of Business would actually be built where the Dobie garage is currently located (yeah, the same garage you’ve parked in all these years to go to movies or eat at Dobie). It will be about a four-year project.

So for Texas athletics to have any shot of building a new indoor football practice facility just south of DKR before 2025, UT would have to find an interim home for the school of social work (until the new McCombs School of Business is constructed).

I’m told from a source close to the situation, “It’s not out of the question that could happen. But there’s no guarantee just yet. Nothing moves quickly at UT when it comes to things like this.”

Stay tuned.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Atticus said:

FCB is such a POS. He must owe a lot of gambling debts to Charles Thompson

Isnt Josh Thompson play his 5th season and out of eligibility? 

Casey vs Sam is great. Round up the Ints for Sam and round down the TDs. 

QBR- 62.3 for Casey

76.6, 77.6, and 77.3 for Elhinger his last 3 years. Sam averaged 38TDs a year

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Bobby:

1 hour ago, Hornlover said:

The exercise is futile, but IT/On3 are handling things the way they should be handled. The problem is that Chip Brown can be bought by anybody to post whatever agenda they need him to post. Ketchum still legitimately believes that "being first" or showing that he has "the inside scoop" matters to his dwindling readership and subscriber base. So transfer information is still going to get out there because those two pieces of human shit are desperate for relevance and money. 

To be clear, there will be somewhere between 15-20 transfers this offseason, and that's if Texas is able to hang on to the guys on the roster that it wants to keep. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Or then again, maybe somebody isn’t.  

Light bulb moment, the Texas administration doesn’t realize tampering exists because it never occurs on their campus. Therefore, it’s never occurred to them that other schools are utilizing this method to recruit current college athletes.

6 hours ago, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

Light bulb moment, the Texas administration doesn’t realize tampering exists because it never occurs on their campus. Therefore, it’s never occurred to them that other schools are utilizing this method to recruit current college athletes.

I guess we'll see if that's true if Xavier and/or Bijan hit the portal

22 hours ago, closetojumping said:

The exercise is futile, but IT/On3 are handling things the way they should be handled. The problem is that Chip Brown can be bought by anybody to post whatever agenda they need him to post. Ketchum still legitimately believes that "being first" or showing that he has "the inside scoop" matters to his dwindling readership and subscriber base. So transfer information is still going to get out there because those two pieces of human shit are desperate for relevance and money. 

To be clear, there will be somewhere between 15-20 transfers this offseason, and that's if Texas is able to hang on to the guys on the roster that it wants to keep. 

This could be fun.

2 minutes ago, Batteredfan said:

So it begins. I expect this week will be the start of our players jumping in the portal. Staff needs to work hard to keep the right pieces. 

On that note, everyone go do your part by clicking on the link and paying X his monay!!

Theres honestly only like <10 players I’d be worried about losing on this team. X, Bijan, Barron, Murphy, Jt sanders, Jwhitt and maybe some other DLs. Probably some other Freshmen who haven’t seen the field yet but have future potential. 

Otherwise, I’d take my chances at the portal pretty much anywhere else. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Some stuff from 247...

Mycah Pittman (Oregon) WR.  Former Top 100 recruit. 38 catches for 547 yards and 2 TDs in his career. Jeff Banks was his primary recruiter for Bama. Had a Texas offer out of HS.

https://247sports.com/player/mycah-pittman-46035991/

Gurvan Hall Jr. (Miami) Safety.  Former 4* recruit. 148 Tackles, 6 TFLs, 2 Sacks, 1 INT in his career. Had offers to schools like Alabama, LSU, UGA, ND, and Wisconsin out of HS.
Mark Pope (Miami) WR.  Former Top 100 recruit. 52 Catches for 680 Yards and 4 TDs in his career. Rivals had him as a 5* in the 2018 class.
Paul Tchio (Clemson) OT . Former 4* recruit. Borderline Top 100 recruit in the 2020 class. Only 1 career start. Kyle Flood was his primary recruiter at Bama.
Marcus Banks (Alabama) CB . Former 4* recruit. His primary recruiter at Bama was Jeff Banks. His secondary recruiter for ND was Terry Joseph. Roach has said he has interest in coming back to Texas
Edited by LTtxfan
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

More stuff from 247

LBGeoff Cantin-Arku (Syracuse) to the list. Former 3* recruit. 105 Tackles, 11 TFLs, 5 sacks, 2 FFs, 1 TD in his career.

https://247sports.com/Player/Geoff-Cantin-Arku-46057017/

DLAnthony Watts (Purdue) to the list. Former 3* recruit. 84 Tackles, 10.5 TFLs, 3 sacks in his career.

https://247sports.com/Player/Anthony-Watts-76940/ 

LB - Will Latu entered the portal. Recruited by PK to UW, has 4 years of elegibility since he redshirted this year

https://247sports.com/Player/Will-Latu-46049885/

Another QB back on tOSU roster.  

247:  "Jack Miller is back with Ohio State. Between him, Quinn Ewers, and Kyle McCord I expect at least two to hit the portal.%

• Hook 'Em 2

All these big time coaching changes are pretty fortuitous for us because it may free up some extra portal players. Easier to poach guys from LSU, USC, UW (PK recruited/coached a lot of those guys), etc.

Washington in particular is an interesting one to watch. PK was their DC just a year ago so some of them may want to reunite with him. We obviously can offer playing time on defense. They're 15th in DFEI this year (which may be a sign on the Lake vs. PK debate unfortunately). Savell Smalls please (interestingly Sark was his primary at Bama)

• Hook 'Em 6

• closetojumping changed the title to 2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)