2022 OL Cole Hutson

Awesome take. Sets a great floor across the line.

https://247sports.com/player/cole-hutson-46098336/

How he fits at Texas: Hutson is a big guy at 6-foot-4, 290 pounds, with an ability to drop back in pass protection and move his feet, but he’s playing mostly at guard currently and hits his ceiling playing inside in college as well. Where he really excels on film is in 1-on-1 blocks, even against big defensive linemen, turning shoulders and even driving tackles off the ball. He can pull and find targets on the move as well with athleticism which would hopefully allow him to play center at Texas. The Longhorns have searched for years for a center who has the quickness to snap the ball and connect on defensive linemen, including on wide zone plays, while bringing more size and power to the position than your common sub 6-foot-3, scarcely 300-pound centers. Hutson gives them a chance to have such a center, otherwise he’s a good prospect at guard with the power and feet to run the full gamut of Kyle Flood schemes. – Ian Boyd

Coach says: Strengths: Well-distributed weight with a reasonably toned mid-section. Good flexibility at hips and knees. Balanced in and out of his stance with great initial steps in reach blocks, combo and down blocks. Quick off the snap and fires out low with great pad level. Shows a very good understanding of leverage and gets defenders turned quickly. Feet are quick/nimble enough to allow for solid pulls and climbs to the second level. Makes sure contact on moving targets. Shows great power generation from the lower body and seems to destroy straight-up challenges. Very impressive mauler in the run game. Will dominate in a phone booth and drive the bus. Legs are always moving once engaged. Hand placement in run blocks is great. Shows position versatility at OG and OT but I like him better inside. Pass sets look well coached and doesn’t overplay the defender. Doesn’t give up the inside gap. Opponent tape looks equally impressive as his own highlights. Film isn’t just full of him destroying little guys. I’ve seen quicker and more agile guys as well as stronger guys but this guy is technical and does everything well enough to be serviceable from day 1.

Areas for Improvement / Concerns: Arm length probably forces him inside. More first step quick than fast. Don’t see a lot of zone blocks on his film. I would like to see him stun guys more in the pass game. Would like to see the hands put to better use in pass game. Looks a little slow to flip the hips as he tries to get the outside rusher to run the arc but this is strictly at tackle.

How this affects Texas: Hutson is a natural offensive lineman with the unique skillset to play all the spots. Center might be his most interesting position, but his ability to be versatile and also take on guard and tackle spots is one thing that separates Hutson from the pack. If UT takes five in this cycle, Hutson could easily occupy one spot, while allowing the staff to pursue the Devon Campbells, Kelvin Banks, and Kam Dewberrys of this class. – Justin Wells

Excerpt from the Inside Texas 2022 Top 75

Gerry Hamilton: Very good size and frame for a guard, only lacking an elite wingspan. Will hold up at point of attack and look to hit and move defenders in the run game. Will add quite a bit of strength in the coming years.

Eric Nahlin: I think he has some tackle traits but the build screams guard. He should fare well whether in a zone or gap scheme. There’s some real upside here

https://insidetexas.com/frisco-ol-cole-hutson-commits-to-texas/

Edited by texifornia
  • Hook 'Em 4

Looks like the type of guy A B1G school like Wisconsin would turn into an All American. I like it

Too highly ranked, not enough consecutive consonants in last name.

I know the general zeitgeist for 2021 recruiting is negative but this is a good get. High floor and high ceiling on the interior.