--> Jump to content

Do we have a McAullife vs. Younkin thread?


Gil Bang

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Auto Driller said:

I generally don’t pay close attention to politics but this election is interesting.

What exactly CRT is (it’s a collection of ideas, some people have shared views and some do not) and whether “CRT” is taught in schools (probably not explicitly part of the curriculum but there shouldn’t be any doubt that elements of it end up being introduced to students since the teacher’s Education degree probably included a healthy dose) are besides the point.

My view is that “CRT” just provided a convenient label for what many people are sick of. Democratic politics has fully embraced the idea that “if you don’t agree with me then you are a racist.” Don’t like my budget proposal? Racist. Don’t agree with me about policing issues? Racist. It goes on and on. Most likely I will be quoted and accused of being racist for making this post.

The D’s can choose to see the writing on the wall and back off from the reflexive accusations or they can continue down the same path and get destroyed at the ballot box in 2022 and 2024. People are sick and tired of being accused of racism and are drawing the line at having their kids receive the same treatment.

And since I know the accusation is coming I’ll just say it now - I didn’t vote for Trump in 2016 or 2020, not will I vote for him in 2024 if (when) he runs again.

So instead of expecting white people to knock off the racism we should expect non-white people to shut up and stop calling them out for racism?

That's pretty on brand.

  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Auto Driller said:

Democratic politics has fully embraced the idea that “if you don’t agree with me then you are a racist.” Don’t like my budget proposal? Racist. Don’t agree with me about policing issues? Racist. It goes on and on. Most likely I will be quoted and accused of being racist for making this post.

Sounds like you get your news from a fair and balanced source lol. Nobody but self-victimizing republicans feel that way if you're backing your positions with rationality and logic, rather than hollow rhetoric. When you oppose progress for no reason but "I don't like change", resulting in prejudicial policies remaining in place, you're definitely not on the right side of things. 

  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Captainant said:

Sounds like you get your news from a fair and balanced source lol. Nobody but self-victimizing republicans feel that way if you're backing your positions with rationality and logic, rather than hollow rhetoric. When you oppose progress for no reason but "I don't like change", resulting in prejudicial policies remaining in place, you're definitely not on the right side of things. 

He definitely is either a MSNBC or CNN rabid consumer. Can't tell.

  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, gmr548 said:


You’re certainly entitled to your opinion and I think a lot of people across the political spectrum feel this way on various issues. To an extent that’s human nature. But I hope there’s two things you will consider:

1.) When it comes to issues like the structural racism and wealth inequality in this country, that’s an incredibly easy, “eh, fuck you I got mine” thing to say when you’re on the right side of things.

Side note - I don’t know how Democrats don’t dominate simply on wealth and income inequality. At a fundamental level, life is way shittier than it needs to be for the bottom half of the income/wealth ladder in this country and that fraction gets bigger every year. Republicans don’t really even try to hide their intentions on this anymore. Blows my mind that Democrats don’t simply hammer them on it non stop.

 

Man, you're talking to a guy who is pissed off that poor kids get to go to the same school his kids go to.

  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The problem is systemic racism perpetuated by a government dominated by white men.
Well then, you should be happy that VA is doing their part to fix the problem. They just elected a black woman and Hispanic man to state wide office. How late did you stay up celebrating?

So will you pledge to support ALL candidates of color as they work to dismantle the white dominated government?

Gotta admit, I didn't expect you to be so gung ho for carpet bagging Alan West.
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Auto Driller said:

I generally don’t pay close attention to politics but this election is interesting.

What exactly CRT is (it’s a collection of ideas, some people have shared views and some do not) and whether “CRT” is taught in schools (probably not explicitly part of the curriculum but there shouldn’t be any doubt that elements of it end up being introduced to students since the teacher’s Education degree probably included a healthy dose) are besides the point.

My view is that “CRT” just provided a convenient label for what many people are sick of. Democratic politics has fully embraced the idea that “if you don’t agree with me then you are a racist.” Don’t like my budget proposal? Racist. Don’t agree with me about policing issues? Racist. It goes on and on. Most likely I will be quoted and accused of being racist for making this post.

The D’s can choose to see the writing on the wall and back off from the reflexive accusations or they can continue down the same path and get destroyed at the ballot box in 2022 and 2024. People are sick and tired of being accused of racism and are drawing the line at having their kids receive the same treatment.

And since I know the accusation is coming I’ll just say it now - I didn’t vote for Trump in 2016 or 2020, nor will I vote for him in 2024 if (when) he runs again.

How many people call you racist?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Brothahorn said:

Well then, you should be happy that VA is doing their part to fix the problem. They just elected a black woman and Hispanic man to state wide office. How late did you stay up celebrating?

So will you pledge to support ALL candidates of color as they work to dismantle the white dominated government?

Gotta admit, I didn't expect you to be so gung ho for carpet bagging Alan West.

If they are running as a Republican, they are not working to dismantle the white dominated government. They are working to entrench it. 

 

  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

And there's the martyrdom. Like clockwork.

Why do you hate white people so much? I'm mexican and I love white people. None of my mexican friends or family hate white people. Honestly, it seems like a subset of white people hate white people more than anyone else. 

  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, StruggleBus said:

Why do you hate white people so much? I'm mexican and I love white people. None of my mexican friends or family hate white people. Honestly, it seems like a subset of white people hate white people more than anyone else. 

I don't hate white people. I hate their reluctance to acknowledge what they have done throughout American history.

  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, David Dennison said:

If they are running as a Republican, they are not working to dismantle the white dominated government. They are working to entrench it. 

 

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.... HA !!  Yeah that's what they're doing all right.   Dave Dennison all knowing purveyor of facts and thought process' in the minds of minorities everywhere.  Why he's a gott damned modern day Nostril-domus !

I wonder, how do you come by your unique insight into what drives anyone to do anything, especially a minority as you have neither the skin color, heritage or life experiences of said minority.... I mean since you've been able to ride that inequity filled, white gravy train your entire life.  Just how would you know ?

  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.... HA !!  Yeah that's what they're doing all right.   Dave Dennison all knowing purveyor of facts and thought process' in the minds of minorities everywhere.  Why he's a gott damned modern day Nostril-domus !

I wonder, how do you come by your unique insight into what drives anyone to do anything, especially a minority as you have neither the skin color, heritage or life experiences of said minority.... I mean since you've been able to ride that inequity filled, white gravy train your entire life.  Just how would you know ?

I read.

  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

Why do you hate white people so much? I'm mexican and I love white people. None of my mexican friends or family hate white people. Honestly, it seems like a subset of white people hate white people more than anyone else. 

you obviously are either naïve or enabling racism. You sound like a Mexican white supremacist. 

  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

Why do you hate white people so much? I'm mexican and I love white people. None of my mexican friends or family hate white people. Honestly, it seems like a subset of white people hate white people more than anyone else. 

It's white progressive males.  And no one likes them all that much.

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Lulz. 

This was your post from the Taxes thread:

Quote

Im not saying to hell with anyone, I just believe things should have a semblance of fairness.  You want to tax these rich fucks at 33% have at it.  You want to cap them at a billion dollars, I don’t agree, but fuck it do it.  But at some point everyone should put something in the pot.  And sales tax and gasoline tax isn’t going to cut it.  I pay 12k in fucking taxes and my kids go to the same school as people that don’t pay 12k a year in rent.  Fair?  Shit is borked and the “middle” whatever that is, is being fucked the hardest.  

I don't think I mischaracterized your post in the slightest.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

This was your post from the Taxes thread:

I don't think I mischaracterized your post in the slightest.

Yes, I fucking loathe freeloaders.  I loathe alligator arm motherfuckers at social outings, and think it’s bullshit I am obligated to cover someone else’s inadequacy IN FULL because they can’t get their shit straight.  I put in, you put in, everyone who’s succeeded in life puts in, but we gain no advantage over the guy who doesn’t.  Same education for our children, same public services, same everything.  One paying out the ass while staying too busy to use what we pay for, while the other has all the time in the fucking world to take. It’s bullshit. 

  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites





Side note - I don’t know how Democrats don’t dominate simply on wealth and income inequality. At a fundamental level, life is way shittier than it needs to be for the bottom half of the income/wealth ladder in this country and that fraction gets bigger every year. Republicans don’t really even try to hide their intentions on this anymore. Blows my mind that Democrats don’t simply hammer them on it non stop.
.



Because at the end of the rainbow, they are all the same lying, scheming politicians. Save a handful on each side. Democrats love money and power just like Republicans. I know you see this.

They all run the schemes, just with different words.
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

This was your post from the Taxes thread:

I don't think I mischaracterized your post in the slightest.

Guess Denmark and all of those robust social services, is just full of racists...

All citizens living in Denmark must pay tax if they have an income.

 

International Community - Tax when you live or work in Denmark

  • Fuck You 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, RomaVicta said:

You bring up needing the middle to win as though the middle is some sort of thoughtful bloc of voters just hoping for a moderate alternative. I disagree. They're political idiots who don't have a clue and don't want to get political because it's all so nasty. 

Wow, do you have any idea as to the irony of your view? You’ve just called anyone that doesn’t agree with your progressive view point a political idiot.  That statement alone demonstrates more idiocy than many of the people you are complaining about.   

There’s a reason 55-60%+ of this country doesn’t embrace all of the ideas of progressives and it isn’t because they are all idiots. Far from it. If it wasn’t for moderates in this country we’d have such extreme policies from each party that the country couldn’t even function. 

  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I generally don’t pay close attention to politics but this election is interesting.
What exactly CRT is (it’s a collection of ideas, some people have shared views and some do not) and whether “CRT” is taught in schools (probably not explicitly part of the curriculum but there shouldn’t be any doubt that elements of it end up being introduced to students since the teacher’s Education degree probably included a healthy dose) are besides the point.
My view is that “CRT” just provided a convenient label for what many people are sick of. Democratic politics has fully embraced the idea that “if you don’t agree with me then you are a racist.” Don’t like my budget proposal? Racist. Don’t agree with me about policing issues? Racist. It goes on and on. Most likely I will be quoted and accused of being racist for making this post.
The D’s can choose to see the writing on the wall and back off from the reflexive accusations or they can continue down the same path and get destroyed at the ballot box in 2022 and 2024. People are sick and tired of being accused of racism and are drawing the line at having their kids receive the same treatment.
And since I know the accusation is coming I’ll just say it now - I didn’t vote for Trump in 2016 or 2020, nor will I vote for him in 2024 if (when) he runs again.

I don’t have any reason to believe you’re a racist or a Trumper, but you’ve definitely got a victim complex that tells me you came from texags.
  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

Why do you hate white people so much? I'm mexican and I love white people. None of my mexican friends or family hate white people. Honestly, it seems like a subset of white people hate white people more than anyone else. 

It begins with self loathing and spreads from there.

  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Wow, do you have any idea as to the irony of your view? You’ve just called anyone that doesn’t agree with your progressive view point a political idiot.  That statement alone demonstrates more idiocy than many of the people you are complaining about.   

There’s a reason 55-60%+ of this country doesn’t embrace all of the ideas of progressives and it isn’t because they are all idiots. Far from it. If it wasn’t for moderates in this country we’d have such extreme policies from each party that the country couldn’t even function. 

We actually have extremely right-wing policies and it was dumb moderates who gave them to us.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, gmr548 said:


I don’t have any reason to believe you’re a racist or a Trumper, but you’ve definitely got a victim complex that tells me you came from texags.

You’re right. I joined the site in March 2018 as a false flag so I could execute my master plan of commenting on the Virginia gubernatorial race almost 4 years later. Nothing gets by you.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, Auto Driller said:

You’re right. I joined the site in March 2018 as a false flag so I could execute my master plan of commenting on the Virginia gubernatorial race almost 4 years later. Nothing gets by you.

I called it! I respect the long game aggy! GG 

(sorry about the infantile penis)

High level CR debate here. 

Edited by Bravo
  • Fuck You 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, pacman said:

 

A red voting guide, by an actual proctor in the voting room ?  Meaning a voting guide for republican candidates or did they mis hear the proctor who said something about do you want a voting guide that walks you thru the voting process step by step ?  Or did she get handed a republican voting guide outside the voting precinct building. which happens with both parties at all precincts.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Another perspective.  https://www.commondreams.org/news/2021/11/03/left-coalition-says-mcauliffe-campaign-was-controlled-experiment-what-not-do-2022

"As corporate Democrats rushed to baselessly pin McAuliffe's loss on progressives in Congress, the Battle Born Collective, Justice Democrats, the Sunrise Movement, and United We Dream Action argued in a joint statement that the former Virginia governor's campaign for his old post was "designed to fail."

"What happened in Virginia is what happens when Democrats fail to take on the GOP's divide-and-conquer racism and motivate people to turn out," the progressive coalition said. "The McAuliffe campaign had no comprehensive pro-worker economic message against a literal private equity magnate."

Far from offering Virginians a clear policy agenda and a positive vision for the future, McAuliffe—who previously served as chair of the Democratic National Committee—"ran the milquetoast campaign he wanted to run," the groups continued. "Every other word he uttered was 'Donald Trump' instead of focusing on the issues voters cared about the most."

"This was a controlled experiment for what NOT to do in 2022," the coalition added. "This is what it looks like when Democrats get caught flat-footed and let Republicans dictate the terms of the debate by manufacturing a fake 'education crisis.' It does not have to be this way. There is still time to adopt an inclusive economic message that crowds out racist dog whistles... This should be a wake-up call for Democrats: Give people something to vote for or watch yourselves become the very thing they resoundingly vote against."

Spoiler

McAuliffe's loss to Republican Glenn Youngkin and an unexpectedly close gubernatorial race in the blue state of New Jersey were seen as potential harbingers of what's to come in the 2022 midterms, as Democrats cling to narrow majorities in both chambers of the U.S. Congress.

"The circumstances in the two governor's races all but confirmed the collapse of the coalition that propelled Democrats to power during the Donald Trump administration and Joe Biden to the presidency in 2020," the Washington Post reported late Tuesday. "In the election's wake, there were fresh doubts in the party about Biden's ability to push his domestic agenda across the finish line, and to repel the new attacks Republicans have opened on culture fronts, especially over schools."

But progressives argued that Democratic losses in 2022 are not inevitable—as long as the party learns from McAuliffe's defeat and adjusts its message and actions accordingly.

In a column for Common Dreams on Wednesday, progressive writer Richard Eskow noted that McAuliffe's campaign website was filled with "vague platitudes and promises" instead of straightforward and popular economic messaging—a serious problem in a race in which voters ranked the economy as the top issue.

The "Economy" section of McAuliffe's website, for instance, pledged "critical investments in building and training the workforce of the future and ensuring that people of all ages have the skills they need to be successful in the jobs of tomorrow."

"Terry will achieve this through targeted investments in workforce training and development, partnering with businesses and our educational institutions to re-skill and retrain Virginians, and reimagining our K-12 education system so that every child has access to a world-class education and is workforce-ready upon graduation," the page reads.

Eskow further observed that, in lieu of a compelling economic platform, McAuliffe attempted to "make the election a referendum on Donald Trump," a strategy that "was a failure since Trump wasn't on the ballot."

"After 10 months of Democratic government in Washington, voters saw little action that improved their lives," Eskow wrote. "People need real help navigating the current economic crisis."

In September, McAuliffe sided with corporate Democrats in Congress by describing the Build Back Better Act's original $3.5 trillion top-line spending level as "too high"—even as polling from the same month showed that nearly 60% of Virginians supported that amount of spending on Democrats' social spending and climate package.

The reconciliation bill has since been cut roughly in half and stripped of popular provisions such as dental and vision benefits to appease Sens. Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.), Kyrsten Sinema (D-Ariz.), and other conservative Democrats in Congress.

In a statement on Wednesday, the We Demand More Coalition—which is composed of dozens of women-led advocacy groups—said that "last night's elections in Virginia and across the country demonstrated that if Democrats want to remain competitive, they must deliver for the voters who turned out for them in 2020."

"The Build Back Better Act is a critical investment toward building an economy that truly works for all women, caregivers, and families across demographics and geographic locations," the coalition added. "While we are grateful to our elected leaders as they fight for these historic investments, last night's elections showed us that voters need them to get the job done."

Rabbi Jason Kimelman-Block, Washington director of Bend the Arc: Jewish Action, echoed that sentiment, declaring, "This moment demands bold progressive action that meaningfully improves people's lives."

"McAuliffe's loss in Virginia shows why passing a robust recovery plan should be the top priority for congressional Democrats," Kimelman-Block said Wednesday. "If Democrats want to keep their majorities in Congress next year, they should listen to the progressive champions pushing for a strong Build Back Better plan that lifts everyone up today while investing in our shared future."

 

  • Hook 'Em 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

A red voting guide, by an actual proctor in the voting room ?  Meaning a voting guide for republican candidates or did they mis hear the proctor who said something about do you want a voting guide that walks you thru the voting process step by step ?  Or did she get handed a republican voting guide outside the voting precinct building. which happens with both parties at all precincts.

The implication would be  the former given she got the ballot first, I'm guessing the middle thing is maybe what happened and they misunderstood.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

Another perspective.  https://www.commondreams.org/news/2021/11/03/left-coalition-says-mcauliffe-campaign-was-controlled-experiment-what-not-do-2022

"As corporate Democrats rushed to baselessly pin McAuliffe's loss on progressives in Congress, the Battle Born Collective, Justice Democrats, the Sunrise Movement, and United We Dream Action argued in a joint statement that the former Virginia governor's campaign for his old post was "designed to fail."

"What happened in Virginia is what happens when Democrats fail to take on the GOP's divide-and-conquer racism and motivate people to turn out," the progressive coalition said. "The McAuliffe campaign had no comprehensive pro-worker economic message against a literal private equity magnate."

Far from offering Virginians a clear policy agenda and a positive vision for the future, McAuliffe—who previously served as chair of the Democratic National Committee—"ran the milquetoast campaign he wanted to run," the groups continued. "Every other word he uttered was 'Donald Trump' instead of focusing on the issues voters cared about the most."

"This was a controlled experiment for what NOT to do in 2022," the coalition added. "This is what it looks like when Democrats get caught flat-footed and let Republicans dictate the terms of the debate by manufacturing a fake 'education crisis.' It does not have to be this way. There is still time to adopt an inclusive economic message that crowds out racist dog whistles... This should be a wake-up call for Democrats: Give people something to vote for or watch yourselves become the very thing they resoundingly vote against."

  Hide contents

McAuliffe's loss to Republican Glenn Youngkin and an unexpectedly close gubernatorial race in the blue state of New Jersey were seen as potential harbingers of what's to come in the 2022 midterms, as Democrats cling to narrow majorities in both chambers of the U.S. Congress.

"The circumstances in the two governor's races all but confirmed the collapse of the coalition that propelled Democrats to power during the Donald Trump administration and Joe Biden to the presidency in 2020," the Washington Post reported late Tuesday. "In the election's wake, there were fresh doubts in the party about Biden's ability to push his domestic agenda across the finish line, and to repel the new attacks Republicans have opened on culture fronts, especially over schools."

But progressives argued that Democratic losses in 2022 are not inevitable—as long as the party learns from McAuliffe's defeat and adjusts its message and actions accordingly.

In a column for Common Dreams on Wednesday, progressive writer Richard Eskow noted that McAuliffe's campaign website was filled with "vague platitudes and promises" instead of straightforward and popular economic messaging—a serious problem in a race in which voters ranked the economy as the top issue.

The "Economy" section of McAuliffe's website, for instance, pledged "critical investments in building and training the workforce of the future and ensuring that people of all ages have the skills they need to be successful in the jobs of tomorrow."

"Terry will achieve this through targeted investments in workforce training and development, partnering with businesses and our educational institutions to re-skill and retrain Virginians, and reimagining our K-12 education system so that every child has access to a world-class education and is workforce-ready upon graduation," the page reads.

Eskow further observed that, in lieu of a compelling economic platform, McAuliffe attempted to "make the election a referendum on Donald Trump," a strategy that "was a failure since Trump wasn't on the ballot."

"After 10 months of Democratic government in Washington, voters saw little action that improved their lives," Eskow wrote. "People need real help navigating the current economic crisis."

In September, McAuliffe sided with corporate Democrats in Congress by describing the Build Back Better Act's original $3.5 trillion top-line spending level as "too high"—even as polling from the same month showed that nearly 60% of Virginians supported that amount of spending on Democrats' social spending and climate package.

The reconciliation bill has since been cut roughly in half and stripped of popular provisions such as dental and vision benefits to appease Sens. Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.), Kyrsten Sinema (D-Ariz.), and other conservative Democrats in Congress.

In a statement on Wednesday, the We Demand More Coalition—which is composed of dozens of women-led advocacy groups—said that "last night's elections in Virginia and across the country demonstrated that if Democrats want to remain competitive, they must deliver for the voters who turned out for them in 2020."

"The Build Back Better Act is a critical investment toward building an economy that truly works for all women, caregivers, and families across demographics and geographic locations," the coalition added. "While we are grateful to our elected leaders as they fight for these historic investments, last night's elections showed us that voters need them to get the job done."

Rabbi Jason Kimelman-Block, Washington director of Bend the Arc: Jewish Action, echoed that sentiment, declaring, "This moment demands bold progressive action that meaningfully improves people's lives."

"McAuliffe's loss in Virginia shows why passing a robust recovery plan should be the top priority for congressional Democrats," Kimelman-Block said Wednesday. "If Democrats want to keep their majorities in Congress next year, they should listen to the progressive champions pushing for a strong Build Back Better plan that lifts everyone up today while investing in our shared future."

 

I completely agree that the shambolic Democratic Congress hurt their state level candidates; and if they had managed to accomplish something it would have boosted their chances by association. 
 

That said, the Governor of Virginia has shit to do with any of that legislation. He does have a lot to do with education in Virginia and unsurprisingly, the GOP seized on it, turned it into an emotional issue, and then cackled as their opponent told the parents of Virginia to stay the hell out of their own kids’ schools. 
 

This column is the lowest form of political argument. A progressive coalition says more progressive politics are the answer, story at 10. They offer almost no data, and you have to realize that regardless of the outcome, this coalition would write the same gotdamn column: “the results of this election night show that our policies are the way forward.” It’s PR and not any sort of analysis. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites



×
×
  • Create New...