Nuclear/Catastrophe Planning

JesusSweatDuck

My bug out destinations are all within a radius around San Antonio, so probably in the fall out range.  My primary concern would be rallying up with family. We would have access to some facilities with very deep concrete walls, well stocked cellars, lots of guns, generators tied in to serial underground tanks, and could probably go at least 6 months without coming up for air if needed. Perhaps longer with sever rationing. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I have a basement full of iodized salt, for several reasons. 

First, salt is fungible. There will soon be no more currency, so we will be forced to barter.

Second, humans need salt to live. If we do not have it, we cannot sweat. Or if we do, it will be very weird.

Third, it is iodized, so you can protect yourself from radiation poisoning by prophylactally eating a few cups per day.

Fourth, salt is a perservative, so regardless of the source of your meat, you can keep it edible for some time.

Fifth, salt can be weaponized and used to eradicate the larvae of rapidly approaching death snails.  You have to get them as slugs, before they have a chance to evolve.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

First, salt is fungible. There will soon be no more currency, so we will be forced to barter.
Second, humans need salt to live. If we do not have it, we cannot sweat. Or if we do, it will be very weird.
Third, it is iodized, so you can protect yourself from radiation poisoning by prophylactally eating a few cups per day.
Fourth, salt is a perservative, so regardless of the source of your meat, you can keep it edible for some time.
Fifth, salt can be weaponized and used to eradicate the larvae of rapidly approaching death snails.  You have to get them as slugs, before they have a chance to evolve.

giphy.gif

We’re stocked up on pasta and like 10 jars of ragu.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

I claim "Death Snails" as my post-apocalyptic band name.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, DougHdTx1968 said:

snails GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, DougHdTx1968 said:

Thanks, i needed a laugh. Tonight has me a bit on edge.

29 minutes ago, DougHdTx1968 said:

You forgot that if you put a ring of salt around yourself it will keep out the ghosts from trying to kill or possess you. I’ve watched Supernatural and I know shit.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

My bug out destinations are all within a radius around San Antonio, so probably in the fall out range.  My primary concern would be rallying up with family. We would have access to some facilities with very deep concrete walls, well stocked cellars, lots of guns, generators tied in to serial underground tanks, and could probably go at least 6 months without coming up for air if needed. Perhaps longer with sever rationing. 

mark-cuban-shark-tank.gif

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DougHdTx1968 said:

I'm going to eat Doug.

5 minutes ago, dhornf said:

Question for you experts.  If  shit were to hit the fan, how much time do we have to bug out of Houston, Austin, etc. before nukes land? Will I be vaporized on 610 or 35 trying to leave? I'll hang up and listen.

Meh, about 30-40 minutes if continental-launched.  However if on a sub, could be as little as 10.

You can still stop at Buc-ee's, just don't linger at the bakery, get your kolaches and get moving.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

What are your plans in case of a nuclear strike or massive catastrophe.

We have a couple weeks worth of food and about 400 acres outside of San Saba with a well and generator. What are your plans?  

Time. Distance. Shielding.