Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

I've had multiple conversations over the last decade with aggy types where they were crowing about their SRC membership.  Each time I made the claim that UT could get an invite any time we wanted they laughed and talked about how there was no chance we could get the votes.  aggy would never let it happen.

Guess that argument is put to rest.

• Hook 'Em 4

8 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

I've had multiple conversations over the last decade with aggy types where they were crowing about their SRC membership.  Each time I made the claim that UT could get an invite any time we wanted they laughed and talked about how there was no chance we could get the votes.  aggy would never let it happen.

Yeah I've definitely had that conversation with numerous ag friends and family.

So... well... yeah....

10 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

That argument never happened. It un-happened. They will not recall saying that. tu is now in the SRC because Aggy flexed their power and got tu in.

7 minutes ago, mr. sunshine said:

On top of that these things are designed to survive hurricanes. FEMA stages out of them 

That one is on Dessau Road in Austin..... if a hurricane is that strong when 200 miles inland, you don't want to be anywhere near it (geez, like 1961 Hurricane Carla strength or worse), speaking from experience of all the hurricanes & tropical storms I've seen growing up and living in Houston.

2 hours ago, bullet said:

The one difference is that ESPN and Fox kept the TV contracts the same after the change of members.  Will they do that for 3 years without OU and UT?  If so, UT and OU forfeit one year's revenues, about $40 million each.  If not, then that's when it gets nasty.

I think this is the direction it will ultimately go.  This gives the Big 12 some time to explore a new deal beyond 2025, keep their "power conference" label, etc.  I'd guess FOX wants no part of that though so maybe there will need to be some financial concessions on that from Disney to facilitate it.  

The "Remaining 8" plus Houston and BYU or Cincinnati is not a terrible outcome for the Big 12.  It positions them well to pick up PAC or ACC teams when realignment hits one or the other of those conferences.  I'm not sure how the relationship with Disney is going to be after all of this.  But maybe they can park inventory with FOX and CBSSports.