CFB coaching carousel

Machinator

Just now, Hook1997 said:

If Venables is actually on the ground as the hire in Oklahoma just what 16 hours after they figure out Riley was leaving, they had to of had a backup plan in place already. 

Press conference is starting any minute...  Bob Stoops is there and they say BV is in town?

https://www.thesportsanimal.com/listen-live/

7 minutes ago, MIkeHoncho said:

Venables is interesting if true.  Never been a HC, not that it mattered for Stoops, but taking a Tier 1 program as a first HC job is a big leap.

you have to admit that he was the guy that won them the NC.

Bob is there to advise BV on the HC part.

Good time for Venables to jump ship from Clempson.

11 minutes ago, JMFP said:

Press conference is starting any minute...  Bob Stoops is there and they say BV is in town?

https://www.thesportsanimal.com/listen-live/

Click on the link and the add that pops up is a Tiger King impersonator for a local ford dealership, so very Oklahoma of them lol.  They aren’t announcing Venables just Stoops as interim. 

Edited by Hook1997

1 minute ago, DFW Horn said:

Not a splash hire, but DeBoer appears to be a solid HC. Who did the UW faithful want?

I think he's fine... or I hope so, anyway. There was enough talk in certain places re Campbell that my guess is an offer was made but turned down. The faithful would have been excited about that. It's more a "wait and see" with DeBoer - mainly to see if he can build a decent defensive staff (defense has always been the hallmark of UW when we're successful).

you have to admit that he was the guy that won them the NC.
Bob is there to advise BV on the HC part.
Good time for Venables to jump ship from Clempson.

Yeah, it could work out. Stoops will absolutely be around to mentor. They could have offensive problems, relatively speaking, given the coaching and roster turnover on that side of the ball, but you have to think the defense will do well if they can get talent he likes in there.

Someone posted it about 100 pages back, but hard to believe less than 12 months ago a number of FBS programs allegedly weren't going to survive an entire year of lost COVID revenue and now, one season later, the average coaching salary has likely doubled and the money is seemingly endless (at least on paper).

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, MIkeHoncho said:

Venables is interesting if true.  Never been a HC, not that it mattered for Stoops, but taking a Tier 1 program as a first HC job is a big leap.

didnt seem to limit Dabo, or Ryan Day. While I realize those guys stayed in house, Venables has experience at OU as well. With OU's history with Stoops and LR, I doubt they would hesitate one bit. 

1 minute ago, Blotto said:

didnt seem to limit Dabo, or Ryan Day. While I realize those guys stayed in house, Venables has experience at OU as well. With OU's history with Stoops and LR, I doubt they would hesitate one bit. 

they also don't have to pay new Michigan State/Aggy market rates...

any word on Riley's contract numbers yet?

2 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Eh. It took Dabo 8 years and DW to finally contend. Granted OU isn't Clemson but I'm cool if Venables piles up a bunch of 3-5 loss seasons. 

I don't think Day is a great comp for several reasons. 

15 minutes ago, Blotto said:

And for every Dabo and Ryan Day there about 100 coaches that fail without head coaching experience at their first stop. 

1 hour ago, Sbbruin said:

Interesting post from an Alabama fan on the OU board about Riley:

Bama fan here. the insider of insider on our board. Had some thoughts about LR leaving the sooners from his sources at OU.. This dude is legit and does not put out any fake info at all.. So here it is. He says that his sources at OU are not terriblely upset with LR leaving because LR has been running a week program. His players were running a little wild getting arrested and failing drug test but as been kept quite for the most part, Every program has this but his source this was going on well above normal... LR players are soft and LR is soft, recruits a bunch of soft players from Cali and they stay soft in his program. The PTB at OU wanted some changes to the S/C program and wanted the DL coach gone. LR would not replace them... Also said LR is going to the perfect place for him because he is soft and the culture out their is soft.... I guess we all will see who's right.. I was wrong about him going to LSU but it seems LSU got played big time and they were the misdirection play for all of this. one more thing our source said he felt bad for you guys but does not anymore maybe you and LSU are getting off easy....

You bet.

14 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

they also don't have to pay new Michigan State/Aggy market rates...

any word on Riley's contract numbers yet?

I was told $110MM total, 24/7 use of a private jet, they bought his two houses that were for sale in OK for over market price and bought him a $6MM house in SoCal. That's in addition to the facility upgrades and asst. coach salaries, etc.

• Rage+1 1

36 minutes ago, flatdawgs said:

I think he's fine... or I hope so, anyway. There was enough talk in certain places re Campbell that my guess is an offer was made but turned down. The faithful would have been excited about that. It's more a "wait and see" with DeBoer - mainly to see if he can build a decent defensive staff (defense has always been the hallmark of UW when we're successful).

DeBoer was a guy I wanted us to go after if Campbell went to USC or UW.

At this point the only thing that concerns me is if Brian Kelly heads to the swamp.  Notre Dame is 2nd to Ohio State and ahead of Michigan as the assumed jobs Campbell will leave for (Rust Belt blue bloods).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sandman said:

I was told $110MM total, 24/7 use of a private jet, they bought his two houses that were for sale in OK for over market price and bought him a $6MM house in SoCal. That's in addition to the facility upgrades and asst. coach salaries, etc.

You were told = you read a tweet

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

8 minutes ago, Sandman said:

You don’t just buy two houses on a Sunday or buy someone a random house they haven’t even seen yet…..

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, 'stache said:

OU will ultimately be fine. I just hope this fucks with their talent level for next year at least so we can have another shot at beating them in Norman as they head to the SEC. Just a pipedream, but would love to have scoreboard on them as they exit.

If by "fine" you mean "cashing big checks and winning 7-8 games a year" then, yeah, they'll be fine.

The next decade is going to be an endless stream of schadenfreude for schools like us.  God, I hope you guys beat Baylor and make the playoffs.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

You don’t just buy two houses on a Sunday or buy someone a random house they haven’t even seen yet…..

Riley had a house he was trying to sell for a while because he built a bigger house and it had recently been completed. Supposedly, they're paying off those two houses and getting him one in L.A., perhaps the 6MM is a housing allowance? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blotto said:

Lulz what a change of atmosphere from ND to LSU. He's a better than average coach, but I don't see him fitting in down in BR. 

32 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

That's my thought.  Talk about round peg/square hole.

Kelly got a student killed trying to film practice and basically said "shit happens." He's been SEC ready for a long time.

Edited by ultimaton
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Sandman said:

Riley had a house he was trying to sell for a while because he built a bigger house and it had recently been completed. Supposedly, they're paying off those two houses and getting him one in L.A., perhaps the 6MM is a housing allowance? 

Now that makes sense, the bought in there threw me off.  

12 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

If by "fine" you mean "cashing big checks and winning 7-8 games a year" then, yeah, they'll be fine.

The next decade is going to be an endless stream of schadenfreude for schools like us.  God, I hope you guys beat Baylor and make the playoffs.

Meh, they're still a helmet school with a lot of resources. They won't win the conference 20 years straight in the SEC, but if I'm being honest, I bet they win at least one within the first decade, maybe within 5. They will still recruit like a blueblood unless they really fuck up this hire. A full-blown demise would be so fucking sweet though, hope it happens.

Edited by 'stache
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, 'stache said:

Meh, they're still a helmet school with a lot of resources. They won't win the conference 20 years straight in the SEC, but if I'm being honest, I bet they win at least one within the first decade, if not earlier. A full-blown demise would be so fucking sweet though, hope it happens.

It won't be full blown demise, but it will be an unacceptable level of losing for their fans.  They'll get 11AM kicks.  They'll get home games against "crappy" schools.  They'll whine about all the same shit they whined about in the Big 12, and they'll lose more.  But they'll get more $ to do it.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Sandman said:

$6 mil?  Low rent district, then.

5 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

It won't be full blown demise, but it will be an unacceptable level of losing for their fans.  They'll get 11AM kicks.  They'll get home games against "crappy" schools.  They'll whine about all the same shit they whined about in the Big 12, and they'll lose more.  But they'll get more $ to do it.

You just described our season this year 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

You have really jumped right in to the bitter little man syndrome. I, for one, applaud you for committing to the role. 

You probably need to work on an annoying chant to really make it stick. 

Left! Be! Hind! Left! Be! Hind! has some potential. 

• Hook 'Em 3

8 minutes ago, horngasm22 said:

Auburn fired Bobo.

but I was told no one changes staff before NSD.

sick of these bullshit boomer truisms.

1) Nobody said "no one changes staff before NSD." Most. 

2) You should probably head to the recruiting thread where this has already been discussed instead of ranting like a moron in this thread. 

2 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Looking like it might be Kelly. 

Jesus.  ND might be a playoff team!  Could this be a smokescreen to get Kelly more money at ND or to cover for the coach they are really after? Coaches' agents must play all these AD fools and just laugh and laugh.

• Hook 'Em 1