CFB coaching carousel

Machinator

On 9/12/2021 at 4:39 PM, trza-hawk said:

What Schiano has done at Rutgers is amazing. He could get any big job that opens up in the Northeast.

He's a Jersey kid whose career went to shit when he left town. I'd wager he's in for the long haul to get them back to where he had them and erase the Tennessee stain. Rutgers won their first bowl in 2013, he still has plenty of opportunity to become a legend there.

On 10/19/2021 at 2:19 PM, Herpa Derpa said:

He's a Jersey kid whose career went to shit when he left town. I'd wager he's in for the long haul to get them back to where he had them and erase the Tennessee stain. Rutgers won their first bowl in 2013 2006, he still has plenty of opportunity to become a legend there.

he was in the NFL in 2013

Lot of folks on Reddit speculating on USC. Not one of the ISU faithful worries about Campbell to USC. They are terrified of Franklin to USC because that likely means Campbell to PSU. I haven’t seen one poster who believes Campbell would stay at ISU over psu. 

Edited by Jhawk
  • Hook 'Em 1

There was speculation about James Franklin to USC a couple years ago but they went with the Clay Helton experiment. I don’t know what’s on his mind but reportedly during his press conference today, prior to his upcoming game at Ohio State, Franklin referred to preparing for Illinois three times. I wonder, if he were to lose to tOSU, Michigan, and Michigan State, if that would take the luster off of him. He was on the hot seat at PSU back in 2016 but a fluke win over tOSU at home saved him.

I don’t think Franklin is an elite coach but maybe a change of scenery would do him good. Luke Fickell would never tell anyone what he’s thinking, and I’m sure he wouldn’t think about another job until after the season, but those in the local media, including his former players, believe he’d take the PSU job if it was offered to him. 

1 hour ago, WhatTheBuck said:

There was speculation about James Franklin to USC a couple years ago but they went with the Clay Helton experiment. I don’t know what’s on his mind but reportedly during his press conference today, prior to his upcoming game at Ohio State, Franklin referred to preparing for Illinois three times. I wonder, if he were to lose to tOSU, Michigan, and Michigan State, if that would take the luster off of him. He was on the hot seat at PSU back in 2016 but a fluke win over tOSU at home saved him.

I don’t think Franklin is an elite coach but maybe a change of scenery would do him good. Luke Fickell would never tell anyone what he’s thinking, and I’m sure he wouldn’t think about another job until after the season, but those in the local media, including his former players, believe he’d take the PSU job if it was offered to him. 

Franklin to USC is a no brainer for both sides imo. He'd bring the Pete Carroll energy that is required of an LA team and be in the conference hunt yearly. Getting out of the 1st or 2nd hardest division will do him wonders. 

18 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

Franklin to USC is a no brainer for both sides imo. He'd bring the Pete Carroll energy that is required of an LA team and be in the conference hunt yearly. Getting out of the 1st or 2nd hardest division will do him wonders. 

What if he finishes this season 8-4 or 7-5?

I don’t know. USC needs a coach who can recruit the best players from SoCal and develop them. Is Franklin that guy? I don’t know. I just have my popcorn and am watching it all play out. 

20 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

What if he finishes this season 8-4 or 7-5?

I don’t know. USC needs a coach who can recruit the best players from SoCal and develop them. Is Franklin that guy? I don’t know. I just have my popcorn and am watching it all play out. 

Sexton got Mullen a big time gig after going 6-7 and 8-4 at Miss St so he'll be able to sell SC on Franklin.

I'm with you though, Franklin leaving will finally break the log jam in the Midwest and Big 10 we've been waiting to burst. 

13 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Bruce Feldman just floated the idea that this might be Patterson’s last season at TCU. I don’t have a high opinion of Feldman so I’m not taking it seriously just now. But he said it. 

Judging from their message boards, he has definitely hit the “sell by” date in Fort Worth. It’s a very recognizable pattern for accomplished coaches who have been at the same program a long time and stagnated for a few consecutive years. Mack Brown, Mark Richt, Phillip Fulmer, etc. Especialy when there’s a shiny new coach out there who seems like a viable option, i.e., Jeff Traylor. 

This seems like it should be a bigger deal. TCU is entering one of the hottest coaching markets in a while and they aren’t even necessarily the best job in their own conference (if you ask tech fans) and they might have competition with Baylor as well if Aranda gets poached. I think Patterson’s time has definitely passed, but what in the hell are you going to do when USC, LSU start a chain reaction that has you competing with potentially MSU, PSU, ISU And more??? Don’t forget Florida might be open as well as the aforementioned Baylor. The bowl season is going to be a shit show. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

Florida state is also going to be looking most likely. TCU thinks they’re getting ahead of things in the traylor sweepstakes but they might not even be in the top 3 for his services… maybe not top 5 if things fall a certain way. 

New Buyout for Traylor rumored to be increased to $7.5mill.

Jobs that are open or going to be open that are better or as good as TCU:

USC

LSU

FSU

PSU

Miami

Michigan StAte

tech

baylor

iowa state

Nebraska 

Obviously this list breaks into the carousel but just off the cuff I came up with 9 schools that could pull a coach before TCU gets one. I’m not saying all will be open or that tech/Baylor would be more attractive but all of those schools can compete with TCU for a coach and win them. I don’t know what you do if you are TCU, maybe the solution was to fire Patterson last year or the year before, but getting into the game this year isn’t optimal. 

Edited by Jhawk

1 minute ago, PittsburghTiger said:

What do you mean?

Franklin, Campbell,  Fleck and now Fickell have all been rumored to leave over the past few years. Even Harbaugh had been on thin ice for a few years. I'm just thinking Franklin to USC finally gets some of those dominoes to start falling. Add Nebraska opening up this year and it'll be a crazy off season for coaching changes. 

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

Franklin, Campbell,  Fleck and now Fickell have all been rumored to leave over the past few years. Even Harbaugh had been on thin ice for a few years. I'm just thinking Franklin to USC finally gets some of those dominoes to start falling. Add Nebraska opening up this year and it'll be a crazy off season for coaching changes. 

I figured as much. Thanks.

12 hours ago, Jhawk said:

Jobs that are open or going to be open that are better or as good as TCU:

USC

LSU

FSU

PSU

Miami

Michigan StAte

tech

baylor

iowa state

Nebraska 

Obviously this list breaks into the carousel but just off the cuff I came up with 9 schools that could pull a coach before TCU gets one. I’m not saying all will be open or that tech/Baylor would be more attractive but all of those schools can compete with TCU for a coach and win them. I don’t know what you do if you are TCU, maybe the solution was to fire Patterson last year or the year before, but getting into the game this year isn’t optimal. 

I think FSU is a coin flip on if they make a change or not.  Early in the season it looked like a no-brainer, but maybe not as much a clear cut decision right now.  It probably boils down to how their finances stack up at the moment; something I have no clue about.

I buy that but I also buy that with VTech. Toss in Nebraska and you’ve got so many potential jobs being open and you don’t have a ton of “up and coming” coaches. That means shifting of pieces or using retreads. Sonny dykes is ok but he was a more or less awful at Cal, his only major conference stop. At SMU he is very similar to LaTech (.05 better win percentage that will improve this season) but he still has yet to win a bowl game. 

Someone mentioned it earlier but we think the offseason is going to be busy when the early signing period is going to make early December busy. 

5 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

Fffuuuu GIFs - Get the best gif on GIFER

He's definitely the hot coach right now, seems to be the best coach using the portal to its full potential. I don't see where he'd go other than USC or LSU , if he doesnt get one of those two he probably just stays . 

I could also see florida on this list, but they'll probably give mullen another 2 years assuming he is willing to take on a new DC 

Edited by BigHornedLurker