5 HPD Officers Shot

Lobwedgephil

7 hours ago, Cajun said:

He knows what he's doing.  He saddles up and schmoozes local media wherever he goes.  Many of those fleshy viruses are his go-to enablers and gladly carry water for him.

Exactly.  He needs to find the Jeff Ward/Michael Berry of Miami and start making friends with them.

If I am to understand this correctly, a civilian is supposed to be able to wake, ascertain that non-uniformed cops are breaking into his house and murdering his family and surrender/disarm in under a few seconds. Meanwhile a cop is given all kinds of latitude for mistaking a ham sandwich for a gun, when the cop is awake, there is no time crunch, and his buddies are not dropping dead.

I do think we need to determine how Mr. Tuttle inherited Sgt. York’s ghost.

Yup, that's the racket.

They give little to zero benfit of the doubt to lowly citizens who may or may not have fucked up, but when the shoe is on the other foot they require a Super Tanker full of benefit of the doubt because "Hero just trying to make it home to his wife..."

So he can beat her to blow off the steam of all the stress caused.

• Hook 'Em 1

Yup, that's the racket.
They give little to zero benfit of the doubt to lowly citizens who may or may not have fucked up, but when the shoe is on the other foot they require a Super Tanker full of benefit of the doubt because "Hero just trying to make it home to his wife..."
So he can beat her to blow off the steam of all the stress caused.

I wonder what would happen if a home invasion targeted Blue Lives Matter houses (nog where cops live though)...and they just kicked in the door yelling “POLICE!!!”.

According to them, you just have to take the robber’s word for it?
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

A Texas woman was sentenced to three years and four months in federal prison for making false 911 calls regarding her neighbors in January 2019 resulting in a deadly Houston police raid killing both homeowners.

"There’s no question in my mind, Ms. Garcia, in that you wanted something bad to happen," U.S. Judge George C. Hanks said during the sentencing hearing held by videoconference Tuesday. "You didn’t really care what happened, and respectfully, the court can’t condone that."

Patricia Ann Garcia told dispatchers that her daughter was at her neighbor's home, describing 59-year-old Dennis Tuttle and 58-year-old Nicholas as addicts and drug dealers who had firearms – including machine guns – inside their residence. But none of those claims were true, prosecutors said.

Garcia does not have a daughter – and after making those calls that night, "things were set in motion," assistant U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of Texas Alamdar Hamdani said at Tuesday’s sentencing hearing. "Ms. Garcia dialed 911 and intended to use those three digits as a weapon."

Twenty days later, Tuttle and Nicholas were fatally shot during a botched Houston narcotics operation at their home that also left five officers injured, including one paralyzed from the neck down, and soon struck national headlines at the time, the Houston Chronicle reported.

Prosecutors say Garcia was under the influence of drugs and alcohol when she made the three 911 calls on Jan. 8, 2019 to get back at Tuttle and Nicholas over a longstanding feud.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/911-calls-resulting-in-multiple-deaths

• Rage+1 1

21 minutes ago, Cajun said:

The penalty for making purposeful false accusations needs to be MUCH harsher.

Especially if those accusations result in death(s).

It'd be a hell of a start if we started prosecuting the police when they lie on documents filed under penalty of perjury, but hey the truth doesn't matter anymore if you have power

• Hook 'Em 2

And especially if the accuser making the false statements is a cop.

It’s bad enough that this shithead neighbor fabricated this bullshit story out of vindictiveness, but Officer Goines took that statement and instead of actually you know, investigating, he doubled down with his own false tales of confidential informant buys of black tar heroin, weapons, etc.

I’m glad the judge sent this neighbor to prison, but the punishment for Goines and the rest of his gang needs to be way stiffer than what she got.
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Notice that none of the cops have been brought to justice yet, but the neighbor has been tried and sentenced.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Viper said:

I guess that explains what started all this mess. 

It doesn’t explain why LE’s processes and/ or leadership is so broken that what happened after the call came to pass.  If these 3 calls  generated the action against the Tuttles, requiring multiple levels of permission/ authority/ warrants; while also resulting in the deaths of multiple citizens… well holy hell, there’s a shit-ton of clean up required within HPD.

Edited by slorch

1 hour ago, Captainant said:

It'd be a hell of a start if we started prosecuting the police when they lie on documents filed under penalty of perjury, but hey the truth doesn't matter anymore if you have power

I would venture to say without fear of competent contradiction that 99.8% of all police reports have at least some element of fiction in them.

And I'm being generous.

1 hour ago, slorch said:

It doesn’t explain why LE’s processes and/ or leadership is so broken that what happened after the call came to pass.  If these 3 calls  generated the action against the Tuttles, requiring multiple levels of permission/ authority/ warrants; while also resulting in the deaths of multiple citizens… well holy hell, there’s a shit-ton of clean up required within HPD.

it's why art fled to miami. he ain't about trying to fix cop culture.

• 2 months later...

Update from ABC13: Murder charge dismissed against HPD officer in botched Harding Street raid

HOUSTON, Texas (KTRK) -- A murder charge has been dismissed against one of the Houston police officers in the botched Harding Street raid that killed two people in southeast Houston in 2019.

Officer Felipe Gallegos was charged earlier this year in connection with the Jan. 28, 2019 raid that left Dennis Tuttle and Rhogena Nicholas, a couple living at the raided home on Harding Street, dead.

On Tuesday, Harris County District Attorney Kim Ogg released a statement explaining that the case against Gallegos will be presented to a new grand jury to consider an indictment.

"The conduct of a former prosecutor, who handled the case, raised concerns about his judgment and resulted in his termination from the office," Ogg's release read. "Out of duty and an abundance of caution, all evidence in the shooting will be re-reviewed by a different prosecutor in the Harris County District Attorney's Office Civil Rights Division and re-presented to a grand jury. Gallegos will have the option of having his version of the facts presented to grand jurors and testifying, should he chose to do so."

During a press conference in January, Gallegos' lawyer, famed defense attorney Rusty Hardin, insisted his client did not know the "no knock" warrant was being executed under faulty information. Therefore, Hardin said, Gallegos acted in defense of fellow officers and himself when they came under fire that day.

Gallegos, who was charged with the murder of Tuttle, remains charged with engaging in an organized criminal activity, along with nine former members of HPD's Narcotic Division, Squad 15.

The other five officers who were indicted in the case face counts of engaging in organized criminal activity resulting from the investigation into the botched raid. The officers indicted on Monday were:

• Oscar Pardo - (HPD) Engaging in Organized Criminal Activity, to wit: Aggregate Theft by a Public Servant ($30,000 or more but less than $150,000) and Tampering with a Governmental Record (1st degree)
  • Cedell Lovings - (Status Unclear) Engaging in Organized Criminal Activity, to wit: Aggregate Theft by a Public Servant ($30,000 or more but less than $150,000) and Tampering with a Governmental Record (1st degree)
  • Nadeem Ashraf - (HPD) Engaging in Organized Criminal Activity, to wit: Aggregate Theft by a Public Servant ($30,000 or more but less than $150,000) and Tampering with a Governmental Record (1st degree)
  • Clemente Reyna - (No longer HPD, retired) Engaging in Organized Criminal Activity, to wit: Aggregate Theft by a Public Servant ($30,000 or more but less than $150,000) and Tampering with a Governmental Record (1st degree)
  • Thomas Wood - (No longer HPD, retired) Engaging in Organized Criminal Activity, to wit: Aggregate Theft by a Public Servant ($30,000 or more but less than $150,000) and Tampering with a Governmental Record (1st degree)

TL:DR - "The conduct of a former prosecutor, who handled the case, raised concerns about his judgment and resulted in his termination from the office," Ogg's release read. "Out of duty and an abundance of caution, all evidence in the shooting will be re-reviewed by a different prosecutor in the Harris County District Attorney's Office Civil Rights Division and re-presented to a grand jury. Gallegos will have the option of having his version of the facts presented to grand jurors and testifying, should he chose to do so."

Edited by Captainant
  • Rage+1 1

20 hours ago, Captainant said:

Update from ABC13: Murder charge dismissed against HPD officer in botched Harding Street raid

TL:DR - "The conduct of a former prosecutor, who handled the case, raised concerns about his judgment and resulted in his termination from the office," Ogg's release read. "Out of duty and an abundance of caution, all evidence in the shooting will be re-reviewed by a different prosecutor in the Harris County District Attorney's Office Civil Rights Division and re-presented to a grand jury. Gallegos will have the option of having his version of the facts presented to grand jurors and testifying, should he chose to do so."

Bizarro world.  Accountability everywhere except...

If the DA thinks their office screwed up so bad that it could be overturned by a future judge, shouldn’t they take a step back and start over? Or should we convict the cop and then have an appeals judge let him out a few years later? Also if a DA sees new evidence that their charges were wrong, shouldn’t they drop the charges?

My memory may be off on this but the actual chargeable crimes on this raid were fabricated accusations by a citizen and a lazy and overzealous cop(s) lying to get the no-knock warrant. And don’t reply to me that no-knock warrants should be a crime. Ok, but it’s not or wasn’t at that time.

The cop, who just had the charges dropped, claims that he had no knowledge of the lying to get the no-knock warrant. If that is true, he might be innocent of the charges previously brought against him. If anything above is wrong, please enlighten me.

14 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

If the DA thinks their office screwed up so bad that it could be overturned by a future judge, shouldn’t they take a step back and start over? Or should we convict the cop and then have an appeals judge let him out a few years later? Also if a DA sees new evidence that their charges were wrong, shouldn’t they drop the charges?

My memory may be off on this but the actual chargeable crimes on this raid were fabricated accusations by a citizen and a lazy and overzealous cop(s) lying to get the no-knock warrant. And don’t reply to me that no-knock warrants should be a crime. Ok, but it’s not or wasn’t at that time.

The cop, who just had the charges dropped, claims that he had no knowledge of the lying to get the no-knock warrant. If that is true, he might be innocent of the charges previously brought against him. If anything above is wrong, please enlighten me.

That's basically what they're doing.  Starting over with a new grand jury.  Which may lead to a new indictment, which will start the trial process over again.

I'm going to guess that the prosecutor falsified or used bad evidence before the grand jury relating to the murder charge.

At least it's "recoverable" misconduct.  Stuff that happens closer to trial often is not.  

The charges are outlined above.  This particular cop apparently shot one or both of them and it was evidence relating to his state of mind regarding the warrant that was funky somehow.  That is, if he had no reason to believe the warrant was bad, it's very hard to make that into murder.

47 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Per the DA's statement, they said they're reviewing the file because the prosecutor who opened it was fired for bad judgement. Not dropping the case and walking away, just redoing the grand jury indictment to protect the case from possible appeals and taint from that prosecutor

Going to be a tough argument he had no knowledge of lying on the warrant imo.  Weren't there drop guns and drugs found?

"Hey Goines, since we're sitting behind the trunk of the car talking about the particulars of this raid, you want to explain why there's a key of cocaine in your trunk next to the m4?"

Maybe this guy was actually the new kid not into the same shit as the rest of Goines and crew, but I find it more likely he was cut from the same cloth as the rest of the guys there.  Otherwise there would be a chance once the evidence was planted he'd say something.

On 1/28/2021 at 10:09 AM, Lobo said:

Serious question---in this day and age of some bad apple cops finally going to jail for serious crimes.  Where do they put guys like this?  I mean, it takes 15 minutes for somebody in visitation to get word from their visitor's smartphone that a dirty cop is in Cell Block C now...so they run back and tell the whole yard.  The guy can't hide that fact nowadays.  They have special wings for pedophiles because there's so damn many of them.  But they're not gonna construct a whole wing for 5 ex-cops.  So what do they do with them in this digital age?  

I don't know if they'll hold him in a state joint inside of Texas.  They'll most likely transfer custody to another state or the feds for protection. 

On 1/28/2021 at 10:13 AM, Cajun said:

No special arrangements should be made.  Cops are very fond of the "Play stupid games, win stupid prizes" line.

Well, right back atchya fellas.

Yes.  Thug cops deserve the main line

On 1/28/2021 at 3:30 PM, SHOOTER12 said:

Seriously?  As far as those bastards are concerned, who cares? They deserve whatever is coming to them in "pound town" prison.

This

On 1/28/2021 at 3:32 PM, Lobo said:

I'm not concerned.  I'm just interested from a logistics/security standpoint.  For 100 years any cop that was mixed in with GP...they could probably hide who they were.  And then the blue wall came up and none of them went to jail.  But now, it's easy to make their identity and more and more of them are finally getting what they deserve.  I was just curious, not concerned, about what happens to them inside as far as being beaten/killed.  

Like I said above.  They'll either find a home for him in a different state,  or the feds. 

If,  and this is a really big if, if they keep him in Texas,  that means they have a PC joint somewhere of which I have no knowledge. But in a state as large as Texas,  I would bet they do.  

Thing is,  they may not be confident they can even protect him there.  There are probably dozens of gang drop outs in that PC joint that would want to move on him to possibly remove a green light on themselves. 

• 1 year later...

* bump *

Maybe something good will come from this saga.  It's a start, anyways:

The Texas House of Representatives last week overwhelmingly approved a bill that would sharply restrict the use of no-knock search warrants, which the state Senate is now considering. ...

H.B. 504, which state Rep. Gene Wu (D–Houston) introduced last November, passed the House by a vote of 104–33. It would require that all applications for no-knock warrants be approved by the police chief or a supervisor he designates. Municipal court judges who are not state-licensed attorneys generally would not be allowed to approve no-knock warrants. The officers serving the warrant would have to be in uniform or "otherwise clearly identifiable" as police. If the bill passes the state Senate and is signed by Gov. Greg Abbott, Texas will join Florida, Virginia, and Oregon in restricting this type of warrant.

https://reason.com/2023/05/08/texas-house-overwhelmingly-approves-restrictions-on-no-knock-warrants/

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Good luck getting that through the Dan Patrick-led Texas Senate.

Having lived in Houston for almost 20 years - I cannot imagine how Dan Patrick got elected as anything, much less Lt. Gov (then again Fit Lump to elected, so what the fuck do I know?)

• 10 months later...

Goines' indictment just got quashed:

A Harris County judge on Tuesday quashed two felony murder indictments against retired Houston Police Department officer Gerald Goines, potentially throwing a long delay until he could face trial for of the deaths of two people in a botched 2019 drug raid.

It could end Goines’ prosecution over the deaths of Dennis Tuttle and Rhogena Nicolas entirely. The decision by 482nd District Court Judge Veronica Nelson puts Harris County prosecutors in the position of needing to appeal her decision or seek a re-indictment.

Goines' defense team sought to quash his 2019 murder indictments, arguing they were fatally flawed and filled with constitutional violations.

"It doesn't give us adequate notice of what it is specifically that we have to defend against," said Mac Secrest, one of his attorneys. 

The Harris County District Attorney's Office didn't immediately return a request for comment.

In a motion to quash, defense attorneys argued that the indictments of Goines didn't provide specifics of the laws he violated that led to the felony murder indictments. While the indictment mentions an underlying charge of tampering with a government record, it doesn't say which of the six tampering subsections he is accused of violating, according to the motion.

"Nothing is alleged in the indictment which sets forth and designates the actual document that supposedly was 'tampered' with, nor the specific statement within the document, that allegedly was false," the motion said.

The 2019 felony murder indictment accuses of Goines of tampering with a government record, which caused police to execute a "no knock" search warrant on a Tuttle and Nicolas' Pecan Park home. According to police, the raid sparked a gun battle between the couple and police. Four officers were wounded, and Tuttle and Nicolas were killed.

In the aftermath of the shooting, Goines and the narcotics squad he was part of came under intense scrutiny. According to police, Goines admitted information in the warrant was false, including a claim that a confidential informant supplied information the couple was selling heroin from the house. After the raid, police found marijuana and cocaine in house, but no heroin.

Nelson’s decision came at the end of a 40-minute hearing meant to deal with motions regarding Goines’ upcoming June trial, which Nelson had scheduled last week.

During the hearing, attorneys agreed about what evidence and statements could be presented during the trial – including about Goines’ alleged bad acts outside of the Harding Street raid and whether the married couple killed in the raid could be called drug dealers.

Goines’ attorneys also argued that they should be allowed to present his case as an anti-police, politically motivated prosecution by the Harris County District Attorney’s office, and be allowed to describe the efforts by the DA's office to publicize the case in the media.

Separate from the murder charges, Goines is also charged withe engaging in organized criminal activity and aggregate theft by a public servant. Those charges are related to an alleged overtime scheme participated in by Goines and other officers that was uncovered in investigations following the raid. No decisions were made about those charges on Tuesday.

• Rage+1 4

On 5/9/2023 at 11:10 AM, Wally Fairway said:

Having lived in Houston for almost 20 years - I cannot imagine how Dan Patrick got elected as anything, much less Lt. Gov (then again Fit Lump to elected, so what the fuck do I know?)

People thought they were voting for the sports guy. Seriously would not surprise me.

• Hook 'Em 2

So, to recap- Goines creates a pretense to charge in, falsely. He has heroin in his vehicle, ready to plant. The police bust in, shoot the Tuttles and each other, killing the Tuttles and injuring Goines enough that he couldn’t plant the heroin. 

Goines retires with his pension and dodges criminal charges. 

Way, to go, Houston, way to go. 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

1 hour ago, statsman said:

So, to recap- Goines creates a pretense to charge in, falsely. He has heroin in his vehicle, ready to plant. The police bust in, shoot the Tuttles and each other, killing the Tuttles and injuring Goines enough that he couldn’t plant the heroin. 

Goines retires with his pension and dodges criminal charges. 

Way, to go, Houston, way to go. 

I'm certain Kim Ogg tanked this case on purpose. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2

2 hours ago, statsman said:

IMG_2495.gif.9c6885b1cb593c757903236292bc41e8.gif

Fuck cops, every goddamned one of them.  Oh, and fuck that fucking judge, too. 

Let’s go ahead and cover all our bases here. Fuck the lawyers too. All of them. The incompetent ones that couldn’t put these shitbag cops away and also the lawyers that defended the shitbag cops.

• 2 weeks later...