Your unpopular food opinions

Parliament

7 hours ago, castolon said:

It's odd to me that people have strong opinions about food service companies, but here we are. My opinion of them depended on where my various family members were working at the time. They worked for all of them. Free samples of assorted fried shit at all times didn't suck in high school. 

Yeah you sound like  US Foods, kind of guy. 

• Haha 2

On 3/19/2021 at 6:46 PM, Braff Zacklin said:

If you'll allow me to expound on that: "fresh" brisket is awesome, but I like it even more as repurposed leftovers--brisket tacos, brisket enchiladas, brisket quesadillas, and brisket ramen. They're all fucking amazing and an improvement on something that is already great.

Brisket breakfast tacos on a Sunday after smoking the brisket on a Saturday is about as good as it gets.

Especially if you make smoked queso and put those on the brisket tacos.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

18 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I don't have any hang up about the definition of chili like Texans do, but I think the cinnamon/clove thing and noodles is the weird ass part about Cincinnati Chili.

I could get over the noodles if not for the cinnamon.  That's the real deal breaker.

Just like the kolache wars it was a brutal affair. 

Edited by SimonBolivar

17 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I don't have any hang up about the definition of chili like Texans do, but I think the cinnamon/clove thing and noodles is the weird ass part about Cincinnati Chili.

I could get over the noodles if not for the cinnamon.  That's the real deal breaker.

I mean, adherence to a strict definition can be taken to silly, over-the-top extremes, but at some point words must have at least some stability in their definitions, or they become meaningless.

An extreme hypothetical-- If I need a spoon to eat my soup, and ask for a spoon, and a server brings me a fork because the definition of spoon has somehow relaxed or morphed over time, then it's going to be pretty useless to me in attempting to eat that soup.

More real-life, if I go to a restaurant that advertises BBQ, and they served grilled hamburgers and hot dogs, then it's similarly useless to me.

And if I go to a restaurant that advertises chili, and they serve me Greek spaghetti sauce over noodles, then it's not really doing me any good, either.

Edited by utee94
  • Like 1

I mean, adherence to a strict definition can be taken to silly, over-the-top extremes, but at some point words must have at least some stability in their definitions, or they become meaningless.
An extreme hypothetical-- If I need a spoon to eat my soup, and ask for a spoon, and a server brings me a fork because the definition of spoon has somehow relaxed or morphed over time, then it's going to be pretty useless to me in attempting to eat that soup.

266da08b639c0b525baae7823e320ce8.gif
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Here in the Upper Plains, Sloppy Joes and Loose Meat Sandwiches (like you Iowans take pride in) are often called Barbeques or Barbeque Sandwiches.  Try to deny it, but even though it's a less commonly used term, it still happens.  I've got a hang up over that. My wife braces herself for my comments whenever someone says that or it appears on a menu (typically at local drive-in restaurants and theaters or at concession stands).

And yes, I know the difference between Sloppy Joes and Loose Meat Sandwiches (your favorite, I know...lol).

Edited by ImissWallyPryor
Loose, not lose

1 minute ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

Here in the Upper Plains, Sloppy Joes and Loose Meat Sandwiches (like you Iowans take pride in) are often called Barbeques or Barbeque Sandwiches.  Try to deny it, but even though it's a less commonly used term, it still happens.  I've got a hang up over that. My wife braces herself for my comments whenever someone says that or it appears on a menu (typically at local drive-in restaurants and theaters or at concession stands).

And yes, I know the difference between Sloppy Joes and Loose Meat Sandwiches (your favorite, I know...lol).

If I was ever going to lose Iowan points, it would be in my disregard for Maid Rites.  In our little corner of Iowa, Sloppy Joes are often referred to as Taverns.  That's what my wife's family calls them, and they have a killer recipe.  I've heard them referred to as Barbecues before too, but never really got the impression that anyone was confusing that for brisket and pulled pork.  Just a dumb name.

My previous crack was more about indignation over beans or other adjuncts that don't really change the flavor profile than taking umbrage with Cincinnati Chili.  Cincinnati Chili is weird and a different thing altogether.

9 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

"Loose meat" is one of the most disgusting terms for food in the history of evar.  Followed closely by "force meat."

Shit, they're disgusting as sexual terms, too.

I've never heard "force meat".  You have my interest.

Loose meats aren't disgusting, but they're awfully bland and extremely inconvenient to try and consume.  Sloppy Joes/Taverns/Whatever-it's-called-in-where-you're-from are at least bound together by sauce and harder to spill all over the damn place.

5 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Loose meats aren't disgusting, but they're awfully bland and extremely inconvenient to try and consume.  Sloppy Joes/Taverns/Whatever-it's-called-in-where-you're-from are at least bound together by sauce and harder to spill all over the damn place.

Forcemeat is like a pate or a terrine.  The meat and fat completely mixed together into almost a paste, they can be fantastic. 

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

You just have to put enough ketchup and/or mustard on both sides of the bun and then smoosh it down real good to keep all the loose meat from falling out. Plus it gives it flavor because you’re right they are bland as fuck otherwise. 

2 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

If I was ever going to lose Iowan points, it would be in my disregard for Maid Rites.  In our little corner of Iowa, Sloppy Joes are often referred to as Taverns.  That's what my wife's family calls them, and they have a killer recipe.  I've heard them referred to as Barbecues before too, but never really got the impression that anyone was confusing that for brisket and pulled pork.  Just a dumb name.

My previous crack was more about indignation over beans or other adjuncts that don't really change the flavor profile than taking umbrage with Cincinnati Chili.  Cincinnati Chili is weird and a different thing altogether.

My mom had a great Sloppy Joe recipe she called Taverns (probably bled over to SD from IA).  However, true Taverns are what inspired Maid Rite. They were invented in Sioux City a few years before Maid Rite at a restaurant named (or renamed) Ye Olde Tavern.  Sloppy Joes are basically Taverns that have a sauce. Without a sauce to hold it together, they are loose meat sandwiches (a.k.a. Taverns). 

- Cliff Clavin

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

My mom had a great Sloppy Joe recipe she called Taverns (probably bled over to SD from IA).  However, true Taverns are what inspired Maid Rite. They were invented in Sioux City a few years before Maid Rite at a restaurant named (or renamed) Ye Olde Tavern.  Sloppy Joes are basically Taverns that have a sauce. Without a sauce to hold it together, they are loose meat sandwiches (a.k.a. Taverns). 

- Cliff Clavin

My wife’s “Tavern” recipe entails BBQ sauce, onions, chopped pickles, more vinegar, and mustard. I’m fond of just mixing in cheese and hot sauce and treating it like a chip dip.

We usually use ground venison too.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

My wife’s “Tavern” recipe entails BBQ sauce, onions, chopped pickles, more vinegar, and mustard. I’m fond of just mixing in cheese and hot sauce and treating it like a chip dip.

We usually use ground venison too.

my mom’s had ground beef, onions, garlic, chili powder, ketchup, mustard, sugar (white or brown), vinegar, and salt & pepper. She would actually use tomato soup if we were low on ketchup. I’ve also used BBQ sauce in lieu of ketchup.

I like the chopped pickles idea. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor
I still refuse to call it a BBQ.
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

imgflip GIF

• Like 1

my mom’s had ground beef, onions, garlic, chili powder, ketchup, mustard, sugar (white or brown), vinegar, and salt & pepper. She would actually use tomato soup if we were low on ketchup. I’ve also used BBQ sauce in lieu of ketchup.
I like the chopped pickles idea. 

MIL always uses sugar, but I’ve convinced my wife there’s enough in the BBQ sauce so she’s dropped that from the recipe. A little cumin goes in too.

14 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Both of y’all are wrong. Adam’s Pecan Pie ice cream was one of the greatest ice creams ever. I can’t believe they discontinued it.

You and I are definitely its biggest fans. Good news is I cut my ice cream consumption by 90% when they quit making it. 

• Like 1

Pecans are gross. When I was a kid my best friend's grandma had a huge pecan tree in her backyard.  We'd eat pecans all day long. I wasn't paying attention one day and threw a rotten one in with the others and ended up puking up all the pecans I had been eating.  I haven't been able to eat the since. 

• Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, Hate said:

Pecans are gross. When I was a kid my best friend's grandma had a huge pecan tree in her backyard.  We'd eat pecans all day long. I wasn't paying attention one day and threw a rotten one in with the others and ended up puking up all the pecans I had been eating.  I haven't been able to eat the since. 

Understandable, but pecans are objectively not gross if you haven't thrown up a batch. Pecans in ice cream are a win as are pecan toppings on brownies.  I can take or leave them in cookies. 

3 hours ago, Mo Horn said:

My philosophy on nuts in anything chocolate. The nut is somewhere chocolate could be, but isn't. I love all types of nuts, but unless it's a nut pie, candied nuts, brittle etc., they don't belong in anything having to do with dessert. 

I dunno. Take regular M&Ms--very meh. But add a peanut and they're amazing, crack-laced, diabetes-causing, non-stop-munching munchables.

15 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I've seen it at a lot of places over the last decade, but never pulled the trigger.  I don't think it would be bad, it's just not what I'm normally looking for.

It's really not that terrible.  Creamy is a good sub for mayo/aioli if you want creaminess or the crunchy gives you a great texture. 

Great with bacon.  I usually skip the cheese though - pb and cheese is a weird combo.