Shit I've Cooked Lately

Hollywood

On 2/27/2021 at 12:58 AM, Etexhorn13 said:

Do you do anything with your pasta once you roll it out/cut it to keep it from sticking? I’ve got a rack to hang them on but I’ve found unless I coat them in a lot of flower they’ll still stick together. 

Always coat in flower after making pasta.

On 2/27/2021 at 1:10 PM, pops said:

Info on pasta roller/cutter please?   I've almost pulled the trigger on the one for the kitchen aid about 50 times but I keep wondering if a hand unit would be better. 

I have an Atlas 150 with the motor attachment.  About $150 on Amazon.  It's great.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Pin copied text snippets to stop them expiringSlide clips to delete them after 1 hour
Wtf is this? I'm catching up on this thread and saw this. Going to change my password cause this is some weird shit, I didn't respond to that post and if I had I would have made it coherent

10 hours ago, Dr Fear said:

Recipe?

Pretty similar to Etex, with the biggest difference being mine had 4 cups of seafood stock vs 1 cup water. Recipe is from Real Cajun cookbook.

• 1 stick butter
  • 1 onion
  • celery
  • 1 green bell
  • 1 poblano
  • 1 jalapeno
  • 3 garlic cloves
  • 1 Tbs salt
  • 1/2 Tbs paprika
  • 1 Tbs pepper
  • 1/2 Tbs thyme
  • 1 tsp red pepper flakes
  • 1 tsp cayenne

Saute all the veggies in the butter and add all the spices.  Add 4 cups of seafood stock (I found a concentrated stock at HEB while open).  Add 2lb of crawfish tail meat and sprinkle in 1/3 cup flour. Simmer for 20 mins.  Add parsley and green onion to plate.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 3/15/2021 at 2:21 PM, Mach 1 said:

Ordered some seafood from Maine for a little feast this weekend.

Hello guys, how was your flight?IMG_6368.thumb.jpg.53f86cba1f16fa3bc1e40a456482725f.jpg

Throw in some oysters

IMG_6370.thumb.jpg.5b0c1ef72842bd16ba20385fab650a35.jpg

Shucking oysters suck, I need a break

IMG_6369.thumb.jpg.ca0e475f9bbbbd7d32445a839c2c9e93.jpg

Mussels in garlic white wine sauce

IMG_6372.thumb.jpg.51593f83aa958dbf6b561479c84b29fc.jpg

Thank you Lobster Gods, for your plentiful bounty

IMG_6374.thumb.jpg.b6fad90626b0e89e5c4841bf53f0fb86.jpg

This post fucks

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

leek and potato soup with the juice from corned beef as the broth.

chop and clean leeks. soak and rinse three times. I used 3 big leeks.

melt a stick of butter, put several cloves of garlic chopped in. stir till fragrant.

stir in chopped leeks. sweat down for 25-35 min. or until dark green part is soft.

pour in corn beef julce.

chop about 6 or so potatoes. red & youkon gold. dont peel em as they are going to be blended later.

put in with broth and leeks.

cook 45 min until a paring knife goes theough easy.

turn off heat. let sit until cooler.

use an immersion blender to blend until smooth.

add cream to taste. stir and serve with irish soda bread.

15 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
16 hours ago, Celery Man said:
Chickpea/heart of palm “crabcakes”

D9982DF7-941B-4505-A771-BA349AA42B63.thumb.jpeg.e42f2cb122ed8c91d0a66d76e31dda9d.jpeg

Looks good, but totally a lie. Make up some new name for them. Because i guarantee they don't taste like crabcakes.

I think that it's name is "falafel". 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

I think that it's name is "falafel". 

Or chickpea burgers, or anything other than chickpea crabcakes.  I'd be ragey if I thought I was getting a crabcake and I got that instead.  If I was expecting a chickpea burger, it looks tasty.

1 hour ago, Brew said:

I don’t know whether I’m a rabbit person or not, but I would eat that.

It was quite good.  The rest is in the fridge and will end up in the freezer after tomorrow.  I am absolutely full, and I did not clean my plate!  I had two helpers in eating though.  Rini even ate some of the prunes.  They previously had foie gras in them and were in the rabbit while it cooked, so I assume that was enough meat adjacency that she was cool with it.

Edited by PenelopeWitherspoon

When I lived in Chicago there was a little neighborhood French bistro that occasionally had saddle of rabbit on the menu. I took a friend from Alabama there - who was actually a fantastic cook himself. He was skeptical. But I gave him some of my rabbit and he was floored saying “Daaaaaaaym! I ain’t ever had rabbit that tastes like this!” I guess all they used to do was shoot em with 22s and grill them or put them in chicken stock with dumplings and stew veggies I guess slow cooking and braising shit in butter makes just about anything taste good.

7 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

Tastes like chicken?

Rabbit, especially domestic raised which is what you get here in the US, is sweeter than chicken, IMO.  I love rabbit.  Probably one of my favorite meats.

And for those that are unaware:

• Rabbit has the lowest cholesterol value of any meat product. Compared to the next two lowest, chicken and pork (both with a value of 230 mg per serving), rabbit has a mere 164 mg of cholesterol.
  • Rabbit is the lowest calorie meat per serving at 795 calories per pound vs 810 for chicken, 840 for veal, 1190 for turkey, and 1440 for beef. Pork weighs in at a whopping 2050 calories per pound!
  • Rabbit meat is the HIGHEST in protein compared to chicken, fish, lamb, pork and even beef!
  • Rabbit meat is highly digestible and recommended by the USDA for children and the elderly.
  • The USDA also proclaims rabbit meat “the most nutritious meat known to man.”

10 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Rabbit, especially domestic raised which is what you get here in the US, is sweeter than chicken, IMO.  I love rabbit.  Probably one of my favorite meats.

• Rabbit has the lowest cholesterol value of any meat product. Compared to the next two lowest, chicken and pork (both with a value of 230 mg per serving), rabbit has a mere 164 mg of cholesterol.
  • Rabbit is the lowest calorie meat per serving at 795 calories per pound vs 810 for chicken, 840 for veal, 1190 for turkey, and 1440 for beef. Pork weighs in at a whopping 2050 calories per pound!
  • Rabbit meat is the HIGHEST in protein compared to chicken, fish, lamb, pork and even beef!
  • Rabbit meat is highly digestible and recommended by the USDA for children and the elderly.

I had no idea.

eminem.jpg

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

this post brought to you by america's rabbit producers. rabbit.  the other other white meat.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Rabbit in a sage and mustard sauce is freaking amazing.

Another fun fact for your list though— you can starve to death fairly quickly if all you have to eat is rabbit (and squirrel and similar meat).  You won’t stay alive in the woods a long time eating rabbit. You’ll get protein poisoning from all the lean meat. 

2 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Another fun fact for your list though— you can starve to death fairly quickly if all you have to eat is rabbit (and squirrel and similar meat).  You won’t stay alive in the woods a long time eating rabbit. You’ll get protein poisoning from all the lean meat. 

Sounds like something a beef lobbyist would say.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Rabbit in a sage and mustard sauce is freaking amazing.

Lapin a la moutard (though my recipe doesn't use sage) is one of my go to dishes.  I buy rabbit saddle and use that rather than the whole rabbit.  That is usually what I cook when I an introducing someone to rabbit for the first time.

Easter dinner - takeout crepe enchiladas:

Mrs. Brat assembling crepe enchiladas in takeout containers for kids to pick up tomorrow. She made a total of 70 dinner crepes yesterday (45 “real”, 25 vegan).
I cooked up the 2 lbs of spiced ground sirloin for the filling today while she futzed around getting the enchilada sauce just right. Assembling with a little of each plus chopped onions & shredded cheddar cheese. She will put the several pans in the fridge overnight, then tomorrow when they pick them up she will give each one a container of more sauce to take home to pour on top (with more onions & cheese) for baking. Each will also get a container of Spanish rice and one of queso plus chips.
For the vegan household, pretty much the same except using the vegan (non-dairy) crepes, tofu crumbles, daiya “cheese”, & onions. But no queso.

Each container has 6 real beef crepe enchiladas (the 15 leftover dinner crepes are in the freezer)

Now she will start on the vegan version for the hippie household.

EB751339-F836-4AE4-BC41-EDB2AB0D9FFC.jpeg

9A40427B-2A32-4D4A-9D82-606B7CED659E.jpeg

990C3279-1894-47B9-AE89-3D9E26FF71FA.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

On 3/24/2021 at 6:06 AM, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Yeah but you have to watch out for the rabbit starvation, or mal de caribou, if you don’t eat some fat!  I see someone beat me to it up above.  One of the things I read about and it stuck with me for some reason. 

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag