bschoolprof

Midway (Nov 2019)

Michael Bay Roland Emmerich directs.  Looks kinda cheesy IMO.  But Woody plays Nimitz, so that's pretty cool.  

It does look maybe a little cheesy, but I'll definitely go see it.  I couldn't sleep several nights ago and watched the Midway movie with Pat Garrett in it, and really enjoyed it.  

However I notice Randy Quaid's name in the trailer- if he flies a plane into the side of the last Japanese carrier I will go to the front desk and ask for my money back.

Posted (edited)

Fonda,  Mitchum, and Ford as Nimitz, Halsey, and Spruance can never be topped, but I’ll watch it for sure.  I didn’t see anyone credited with the role of Ensign Gay though.

Edited by NeverMarryAStripper

12 minutes ago, Kennythetiger said:

However I notice Randy Quaid's name in the trailer- if he flies a plane into the side of the last Japanese carrier I will go to the front desk and ask for my money back.

Shitter's full.

24 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

He’s way to old to play a pilot in this.  There must be a backstory about someone committed into an Hawaii insane asylum.

He plays Midway Island.

As long as Hartnett and Affleck don't appear with their cheesy southern accents.

Posted (edited)

That’s the whitest fucking cast I’ve ever seen. Who keeps giving a bore like Patrick Wilson roles?

Mandy Moore and Eckhart haven’t been relevant since like 2010, and Skrein fucked off enough to get kicked off Game of Thrones. This should be straight-to-streaming.

Edited by TheStoicPaisano

1 hour ago, Kennythetiger said:

I noticed Dennis Quaid's name in the trailer.

8 minutes ago, TheStoicPaisano said:

That’s the whitest fucking cast I’ve ever seen.  

I guess they should  have cast Idris Elba as Halsey.  I bet there are a few Asians in it though.

28 minutes ago, retread said:

As long as Hartnett and Affleck don't appear with their cheesy southern accents.

They better not Pearl Harbor this.

7 hours ago, Upgrayedd said:

If it aint in Sensurround I aint goin.

You are aware this motion picture is shown in "Feel-Around"?  

11 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Fonda,  Mitchum, and Ford as Nimitz, Halsey, and Spruance can never be topped, but I’ll watch it for sure.  I didn’t see anyone credited with the role of Ensign Gay though.

Don't forget Hal Holbrook as Rochefort.  Damn near perfect casting.

Japanese pilots flying down Honolulu streets 50 feet in the air.....yeah right.  They cheesed it up

I notice Dennis Quaid's name in the trailer - if his brother flies a plane into the side of the last Japanese carrier I will go to the front desk and give them more money.

12 hours ago, Kennythetiger said:

Now if Randy Quaid's character said "UP YOURS" and did that, I'd go to the front desk and pay more money as I was clearly undercharged.

I hate when they make CGI airplanes fly like Tie Fighters.

But I will dutifully go see it.

12 hours ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

Oh, they're going to Pearl Harbor this. 

I hope they only Independence Day the shit out of it.  That's a movie I could probably watch a couple of times.  If they Pearl Harbor it, I'll be one and done.   

13 hours ago, TheStoicPaisano said:

That’s the whitest fucking cast I’ve ever seen. Who keeps giving a bore like Patrick Wilson roles?

Mandy Moore and Eckhart haven’t been relevant since like 2010, and Skrein fucked off enough to get kicked off Game of Thrones. This should be straight-to-streaming.

Counterpoint:  Would wife Mandy Moore.

14 hours ago, Kennythetiger said:

It does look maybe a little cheesy, but I'll definitely go see it.  I couldn't sleep several nights ago and watched the Midway movie with Pat Garrett in it, and really enjoyed it.  

giphy.gif

19 hours ago, TheStoicPaisano said:

Patrick Wilson is a good actor.  

Beat me to it. I was gonna lob out a Hawaiian shirt jab in there somewhere though.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, RPM said:

Eckhart is solid and underrated.

He’s solid but he’s not  underrated.  He’s done nothing to stand out since In the Company of Men.  

Edited by Lobo

The original had the strongest cast this side of “...Mad Mad World”.

Remake looks like ass.

2 hours ago, Lobo said:

He’s solid but he’s not  underrated.  He’s done nothing to stand out since In the Company of Men.  

Disagree. He's not a leading actor, but he's a solid, versatile supporting role. He was very good in Thank You for Smoking and Sully. He played DKR.

Posted (edited)
On 6/27/2019 at 10:43 PM, Gil Bang said:

I fucking hate movies that look like video games.  

AffectionateObeseBlacklab-small.gif

Bing-fucking-go!

Zeros flying between palm trees ten feet over the street. The same thing repeated over and over; planes doing things planes and pilots don't/can't do. And it all looks like a cartoon. That takes me right out of a movie.

It looks like you'll also have the usual set of two-dimensional historical characters played with great earnestness by pretty American actors. Put these guys on the screen with most of the cast and the cast shrivels into raisins.

maxresdefault.jpg

But the audience created by the studios doesn't much care for dimension. Thanks.

I don't think the Japanese were "attacking our freedom," but that's been an inapt catchphrase for a long time.

This movie looks awful. 

Edited by RomaVicta

8 hours ago, RPM said:

Disagree. He's not a leading actor, but he's a solid, versatile supporting role. He was very good in Thank You for Smoking and Sully. He played DKR.

All valid points, I concede.  But I sure as shit ain’t paying to see this movie.  

This actually might not be that bad.   

As for the complaints about the CGI....    Fuck it.   It's a movie.

1 hour ago, Macanudo said:

Pearl Harbor, Doolittle’s Raid, and the most stunning, and decisive, defeat in naval history.  All in one hour and 45 minutes.  

Although the series of battles end up being the reason mankind ditches 500 years of battleship production, Dennis Quaid still mumbles, "You're gonna need bigger boats." 

I'm okay with the CGI simply because I've personally tried to salvage 80 year old air-craft carriers and it's really hard to do, so sometimes you gotta go with computers.  

This'll make a fun, half-drunk watch on December 7th, 2021 for free on cable.  

On 6/28/2019 at 12:05 PM, Sbbruin said:

giphy.gif

Yeah that’s it.  More!  More!

All kidding aside, not going to go out and see this one.  This seems like a perfect choice for an iTunes rental for a plane flight.

It’s a movie that looks faker than 1950 Japanese monster movies.

“Giant Robot return to base”

32 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

It’s a movie that looks faker than 1950 Japanese monster movies.

“Giant Robot return to base”

Any friendship we ever had just now died with that phrase.

Prepare to fight IRL.

Preferably atop a scale model of Tokyo.