Fire Shaka Smart

smokebomb

On 5/1/2019 at 2:07 PM, Aces_Full said:

Had a Texas coach come by our school today recruiting Hayden Hefner (4 star) from Nederland, Tx.  Sounded like offer coming really soon.  But Oklahoma and A&M have been on him for a while now.  

There was a guy with hops named Hefner that played at Nederland in the 80s. Is that his son?

5 hours ago, pigmeat markham said:

Well, that's pretty funny coming from a guy who's the fan of a school located in the so very urbane metropolis of Lawrence, Kansas, (.that's right, Kansas) a town roughly a third the size of Lubbock.  

And your logic that since Tech is located in the "shithole of the nation (as opposed to Lawrence who is frequently mistaken for Paris) probably has a lot of fucking weird majors and grad degrees" is most certainly irrefutable.   They  only have an enrollment of 40000 within the next year or two, so clearly they have to have weird majors to get anyone to go there.

Somebody got their feelers hurt by not winning the conference title this year.

Someone was triggered by a little ribbing. I’m happy tech signed beard again and he won the conference this year with at least one grad transfer playing a prominent role, I was merely saying that he’ll continue to get grad transfers that contribute and making up a shit reason for it. As for Lawrence v. Lubbock... Lawrence is one of the better college towns in America. It is great to get away from though. Lubbock is not a great college town and the city as a whole is pretty ugly. 

1 minute ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

@Jhawk the grad transfer rule you keep referencing (needing to find a school with a different major) doesn't exist anymore.  

Really??? didn't know that.  Either way, if people couldn't see that the comment about Tech's majors was sarcastic then you're wayyyy too wound up.

3 hours ago, Bojack said:

There was a guy with hops named Hefner that played at Nederland in the 80s. Is that his son?

It's his nephew.  Very similar hops (most athletic kid in this area), but this one is 6'5 and plays the 2 guard position.  Plays for Houston Defenders AAU team (Under Armour).  Would have helped if Shaka were on the visit as well, instead of only on assistant.  Oklahoma and ATM both head coaches came this week, along with their assistants.  As did SFA.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Brian Fantana said:

Lawrence is a nice town. Lubbock is fine. You guys are fucking retarded.

Relax chief, I've railed on this very board on more than one occasion about the folly of arguing subjective views such as city preferences.  As such, my post was hardly a Lubbock good/Lawrence bad sort of missive. Not my point.

Rather, I found more than a little irony in a post from a guy who is a fan of a school located in the garden spot of Lawrence, Kansas of all places, alluding to TT being located in "the shithole of the nation" and probably having a lot of weird majors because of it, etc.(a transfer rule that no longer even exists).

On 5/3/2019 at 8:31 AM, Brian Fantana said:

Lawrence is a nice town. Lubbock is fine. You guys are fucking retarded.

I went to KU but my company doesn’t recruit there, so Tech is my adopted school for finding engineers. This is pretty much right.

Lawrence is probably a better “college town”, but it’s not exactly Pepperdine geographically.

• Like 1

On 4/30/2019 at 7:56 PM, Brian Fantana said:

It's only happened 3 times since the rule was implemented and yes it was those 3 schools.

Only 1 one-and-done on the UNC 2016-17 roster. Tony Bradley was 7 points, 5 rebounds per game.  That was a largely veteran team.  2008-09 had no one-and-done guys.

Winning a Signing Period according to recruiting media does not usually result in a Championship.  The methods used by recruiting media are hardly accurate and they end up driving a lot of the pressure to recruit particular guys and this results in the ballooning transfer rate independent of graduate transfers.  Fit matters and the recruits, coaches and media fail to understand that.  ESPN's hype machine in November will typically promote teams that will not reach the Final Four, they are driven by recruiting media hype and ratings.  Analysts just say things because they have to say things and if they don't say something that is compelling or bold, they are not helping drive narratives that bring home the revenue.  So that's a good tip for your NCAA Tournament bracket.  Record ESPN College Hoops in November and watch the replay of everything in the studio that is said then to do a Process of Elimination on Selection Sunday.

Edited by HashThat

On 5/13/2019 at 9:27 AM, Burt Macklin said:

So what are the odds we can convince Michigan to hire Shaka?

https://gbmwolverine.com/2019/05/14/michigan-basketball-5-realistic-options-wolverines-next-head-coach/5/

Shaka Smart

One name that keeps popping up is that of Shaka Smart, the Texas head coach that just missed out on the NCAA tournament with the Longhorns this past season.

Smart has won only 51 percent of his games at Texas but that also includes a painful 11-22 season in his second year. He also led Texas to a pair of 20-win seasons as well as two trips to the NCAA tournament.

On top of that, Smart coached VCU to five NCAA tournament appearances and two conference tournament titles, as well as a trip to the Final Four. He’s another guy that has won at two places, which makes me worry less about his transition over to another program.

Smart is also a proven recruiter and has some innovative ideas, especially when it comes to defense and style of play. He would be an interesting hire and he would be a good fit after going to a football-first school like Texas. His buyout, which UCLA balked at paying, may cause Michigan to look elsewhere. But if not, he could very well be the guy.

Smart has won only 51 percent of his games at Texas but that also includes a painful 11-22 season in his second year.

oh in that case, by all means, he's a big winner and you should hire him immediately

The fact that we're not going to financially protect an asset tells you all you need to know about how we view him. We won't offer him any incentive to stay-- no more money, no more money for assistants, no more guaranteed years, no enhanced buyout (LOL). Even at this late stage, CDC will be happier out from under the burden of Smart's absurdly favorable contract. 

5 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

Beilein's buyout at Michigan was a cool $0.00, and that was in the contract he signed AFTER nearly leaving Michigan for the Detroit Pistons job.

So those of you who think Michigan AD Warde Manuel is too smart to hire Shaka Smart, well, you don't know Warde Manuel.

Devil's advocate, except for the true cheapskates in the NBA like Sarver (Suns), most owners are not going to be scared off by a buyout.

6 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Devil's advocate, except for the true cheapskates in the NBA like Sarver (Suns), most owners are not going to be scared off by a buyout.

well, I don' t truly think Michigan will hire Smart, but any AD who's dumb enough to give a $0 buyout to a coach with a wandering eye is plenty dumb enough to surprise us

copy/paste of my response from the other thread:

Oh shit!! That's huge if true. He's the "Defensive Coordinator" that Beilein hired who transformed them into one of the best defensive teams in the country. The two best defenses John Belien has ever coached came these last two years after Yaklich took over. In 2018 they were 3rd in AdjD (90.5), and last year they were 2nd in AdjD, behind only TTU, with an insane 86.2 rating that is one of the best AdjD in the history of KenPom. Michigan was 2.2 points better than the next team, #3 K State. He would be an absolute home run hire. 

Fuck man. As much as I want Shaka gone there's no denying that Neil Berry has improved our offense, and Yaklich would be a total stud defensive hiring. If Shaka can keep recruiting at the same level, stay out of his assistants' way, and stop with the camp counselor shit and start treating his guys like men then this clown might actually fuck around and save his own ass. Either that, or somehow one-up himself from last year's underachieving team that was top 25 in kenpom and top 30 in both AdjO and AdjD yet went 16-16 and earned a 2 seed in the NIT. If we add Yaklich to the staff then even Shaka would have a hard time fucking things up. 

• Like 1

Hey Michigan! We're looking to poach one of your assistants.  Maybe you should flex back and take our coach away. That would sure show us. Let us know our true place in the college basketball pecking order.  You guys got a title for fucks sake, you can't sit by and watch this happen. I dare ya!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

Oh shit!! That's huge if true. He's the "Defensive Coordinator" that Beilein hired who transformed them into one of the best defensive teams in the country. The two best defenses John Belien has ever coached came these last two years after Yaklich took over. In 2018 they were 3rd in AdjD (90.5), and last year they were 2nd in AdjD, behind only TTU, with an insane 86.2 rating that is one of the best AdjD in the history of KenPom. Michigan was 2.2 points better than the next team, #3 K State. He would be an absolute home run hire. 

Fuck man. As much as I want Shaka gone there's no denying that Neil Berry has improved our offense, and Yaklich would be a total stud defensive hiring. If Shaka can keep recruiting at the same level, stay out of his assistants' way, and stop with the camp counselor shit and start treating his guys like men then this clown might actually fuck around and save his own ass. Either that, or somehow one-up himself from last year's underachieving team that was top 25 in kenpom and top 30 in both AdjO and AdjD yet went 16-16 and earned a 2 seed in the NIT. If we add Yaklich to the staff then even Shaka would have a hard time fucking things up. 

Yeah, good luck with that. You really believe Shaka can lead here? This would be another bandage to an injury that requires surgery. 

21 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

CDC would really be a miracle worker if he can coax Yaklich to come help Shaka.

1) Who will be responsible for developing the front court players since Horn left?

2) What are Neil Barry's coaching responsibilities?

3) What coaching does Jai Lucas do?

Shaka's in-game coaching definitely needs more help from his bench coaches for sure....

Edited by LTtxfan

11 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

Yep.  Shaka should just hand Yaklich a clipboard and say "All yours." and leave him alone.  Good potential hire.

10 hours ago, Machinator said:

Like dcar said, it's better than doing nothing.

I wonder why Yak wouldn't follow Beilein to the Cavs. Maybe Austin is that much better than Cleveland.

Word is that he wouldn't be a bench coach in Cleveland which is what he wants. 

I truly think that Shaka will eventually be a good coach.  I just think he has s lot of growing pains before he gets there.  Hiring great assistants is a must for him and this is finally one assistant that would be a great hire.

16 minutes ago, txhorns said:

I truly think that Shaka will eventually be a good coach.  I just think he has s lot of growing pains before he gets there.  Hiring great assistants is a must for him and this is finally one assistant that would be a great hire.

Despite what everyone here thinks (myself included), I think I agree. He wouldn't be getting looks at the likes of Michigan if people didn't see the potential in him.

I just don't think if he can pick up the pieces and overcome his deficiencies fast enough to figure it out at Texas.

4 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Despite what everyone here thinks (myself included), I think I agree. He wouldn't be getting looks at the likes of Michigan if people didn't see the potential in him.

I just don't think if he can pick up the pieces and overcome his deficiencies fast enough to figure it out at Texas.

Oh I agree that it's highly unlikely to happen at Texas.  I just think that in 10-15 years he will be a good P5 coach somewhere.

• immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic
  • immamac pinned and featured this topic
  • immamac unpinned this topic