Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

16 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Looks like Josh White is visiting too.

Wonder if White could be on commit watch? 

Also Justin Allen is Evans trainer also and seems to really like Herman and the Horns, wonder if this could be a positive for us in the Omerie recruitment. 

E.J. Holland: Final five takeaways from The Opening Dallas

1. Can Jackson play QB? — Elite 2020 athlete Ja’Quinden Jackson participated in this weekend’s regional as a quarterback. The more people say Jackson can’t stick at the position, the more it seems he wants to play it. Jackson is a very fiery and passionate individual — even though you can’t tell by his interviews — and I’m told he has been working hard on his mechanics behind the scenes. Jackson did display a strong arm and the ability to make college level throws and obviously, his ability as a runner is unquestioned. Jackson still needs continuous grooming, but the potential is there. With all this said, Jackson is still open to playing another position. Wherever he lines up, Jackson is sure to be a ball player. He’s too good not be one.

2. Card vs. King — The debate has been brought up over and over again on the message board. Look, both Haynes King and Hudson Card looked terrific at The Opening and earned Elite 11 invitations. The four-star signal-callers have their own cases as being the quarterback prospect in the state this cycle. Quite frankly, I don’t think you're wrong if you go with Card over King or King over Card. It’s a tough decision. But the bottom line is Card is UT’s quarterback take, and people should be excited. This dude is a stud at the position and much further along as a passer than Sam Ehlinger was at this time in his career. Card also posted a 38-inch vertical and 4.03 shuttle and was an all-state caliber wide receiver as a sophomore. He’s a tremendous athlete at 6-foot-3, 180 pounds.

3. Perspective on Kimber — Going into The Opening Dallas, I was down on four-star cornerback Jalen Kimber, especially compared to the opinion of my co-worker Mike Roach. I had already seen Kimber in three 7v7 sessions prior to the event and nothing really caught my attention. I raved about his technical ability but questioned his athleticism and explosiveness. To my surprise, Kimber finished with the highest Sparq score at the event and won the fastest man challenge. So what am I missing? I’m not exactly sure. It’s clear Kimber is more than capable of being an explosive athlete, but he needs to make sure it translates to the field. He should be able to do some of the ‘freaky’ things a guy like Dwight McGlothern does as they are similar in size and length. Kimber is one prospect I want to continue to see in live action moving forward.
5COMMENTS

4. Dez Bryant 2.0 — I’ve been hyping up 2021 Dallas Skyline wide receiver Quay Davis as one of the best in the county in his class for months now. And with good reason. He absolutely dominated in every single setting I saw him in. Since first tweeting about him, Davis has notched offers from major programs like Florida, Oregon and Texas. That list will only grow. Davis was sensational at the regional this weekend and had two of the more impressive highlight catches from the event. We’ve compared him to Dez Bryant, and I actually shared that comparison with a P5 college wide receivers coach that loved it. The coach said Davis attacks the ball and is elite when it comes to high pointing it. Davis is also a crisp route runner and physical player. As Mike told me last night, everything he does is angry.

5. The trenches — The best offensive lineman at the even was rising 2021 offensive lineman Tommy Brockermeyer. Hands down. After seeing Brockermeyer in two camps this offseason, there is no doubt in my mind that he can be the best of an absolutely loaded offensive line group next cycle. The Texas legacy has five-star talent and was the only prospect that managed to compete with elite pass rusher Prince Dorbah. Speaking of Dorbah, he has an argument as the best pass rusher in the county. Dorbah has a great first step, is extremely fast and plays with violent hands. Dorbah plays out of position in a three-man front at Highland Park. Texas is recruiting him as a B-Backer, where he can pin his ears back and get after the quarterback. That’s when he’s at his best. On Texas commits Logan Parr and Jake Majors… Parr is going to be a multi-year starter at guard. He just needs to improve his hand placement and upper body strength. Majors also needs to work on his upper half as well as his physicality. The technique and IQ are there for him to be a great center.

22 minutes ago, Machinator said:

— Four-star offensive lineman Chad Lindberg, one of the most important targets in the class, made an unofficial visit to Stanford over the weekend. Going into the trip, I said Texas had the advantage but made it clear that his time in Palo Alto could change things. So how do I feel now? I think Texas weathered the storm and is still the team to beat in this race. I’m told the family really enjoyed their time out West but that it wasn’t enough to push the Cardinal over the edge. Stanford didn't move down at all, but again, I don't think it moved past Texas. Georgia and Clemson are likely to receive visits next. 

— Stanford topped Texas for Walker Little a couple of cycles ago and he and his mother are involved in recruiting Lindberg to Palo Alto. However, Little was not on campus to spend time with Lindberg this weekend. By the way, Cindy Card, mother of Texas quarterback commit Hudson Card, called Lindberg’s mother, Emily, last night and had a great conversation with her. Texas offensive line commits Logan Parr and Jake Majors are planning to reach out to Lindberg this week. The three are growing close.

— We are continuing to hear very positive remarks about four-star defensive lineman Vernon Broughton and Texas. Right now, we feel very confident in our Crystal Ball picks, but UT’s battle isn’t over just yet. Texas A&M did make an impression on Broughton and his family on their recent visit and is firmly in the picture. But I think those around Broughton are closer to the Texas program. OU is also in the mix here and will likely host him soon.

— I switched my Crystal Ball from Texas A&M to foggy for four-star defensive back Jalen Kimber. We are hearing that the visit with Texas went extremely well and that the Longhorns are doing a better job of recruiting him than the Aggies. Mike will have a full visit update from Kimber tomorrow, and we will have an intel piece on him soon with combined info on what we’re hearing. I did want to note that Kimber is in no rush to make a decision and will make several visits before the end of spring.

• Like 4

Blah blah...knocked it out of the park....blah blah...Texas will have to be in this one till the end...blah blah....

It’s all bullshit. Kid liked the visit and the players and was impressed with the academics. But, not impressed with the dorms, facilities, or food. The tree curse has been broken fellas.

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

This recruiting cycle has been nothing but sunshine since the Sugar Bowl.

Please, we've had plenty of bleating in here despite everything going correct. We've had the Oscar Giles talks, the Kate is dating Pete Davidson talks, the sky is falling even though the setting of our scene right now looks like the Windows XP background, the Satyanash special, the Katfid racism, and so much more. But I suppose for a Shaggy/Surly thread, that's pretty fucking good.

4 hours ago, TheFlyingBoat said:

Please, we've had plenty of bleating in here despite everything going correct. We've had the Oscar Giles talks, the Kate is dating Pete Davidson talks, the sky is falling even though the setting of our scene right now looks like the Windows XP background, the Satyanash special, the Katfid racism, and so much more. But I suppose for a Shaggy/Surly thread, that's pretty fucking good.

Listen. Lets get one thing straight. Oscar Giles is a lazy fuck. 

12 minutes ago, pacman said:

Why would Little care where Lindberg plays? Will he n9t be gone to the NFL by the time Lindberg steps foot on a campus?

Eh, it's really no different than Longhorn upperclassman recruiting high school prospects.  You love your program, you want it to attract quality players, even after you're gone.

6 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Eh, it's really no different than Longhorn upperclassman recruiting high school prospects.  You love your program, you want it to attract quality players, even after you're gone.

The same way I recruit others to your mother.

• Like 1

Step One:

8 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Sunshine and nothing but. Could it be warranted?  Is it ever?

8 hours ago, Machinator said:

This recruiting cycle has been nothing but sunshine since the Sugar Bowl.

Step Two:

4 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Kimber Fongd to Bama...weird haven’t heard them linked much

4 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Kimber Fong'd to Bama'.  They already have 3 CB commits.

Way to go, guys.

3 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Leaves us with Ryan Watts, Joshua Eaton, blOU legacy Jahari Rodgers, and maybe Kitan Crawford in-state at corner. Missing anyone?

Really hope we can land Ringo.

Don't sleep on Crawford 

• Like 2