Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

(Steve Wiltfong) 247Sports Crystal Ball Forecast: Five-star to Texas

After hearing Ohio State was the one to beat for Tucson (Ariz.) Salpointe Catholic five-star running back Bijan Robinson, I now like Texas's chances to land the blue-chipper heading into his August decision. Bucknuts247 insider Bill Kurelic was first to report that he didn't believe Robinson would end up in Columbus on Sunday morning. I have confirmed that report.

Beyond the Buckeyes, you're looking at Texas and USC as the other two programs Robinson took an official visit to along with considering the in-state schools Arizona and Arizona State among others. I'm a big follow the visits guy and Robinson took two trips to Austin, one in the spring and his official in June where the Longhorns continued to make a huge impression. “Of course the city of Austin is amazing,” Robinson recently told 247Sports. He also sees opportunity on the depth chart to be instant impact.

“They have this coach (Kevin Washington), he’s like a preacher coach, he teaches you about a lot of different things about God, about how to use yourself in the world with other people. That was pretty awesome. How the players are around each other, it was cool to see how they gel with each other. That’s huge for me to see what kind of players are at that program.” Robinson was joined by his grandfather Cleo Robinson on his official.

“He really liked when he met with Matthew McConaughey,” Cleo started laughing. “They had about a 15 to 20 minute conversation. Bijan at the time didn’t know who he was and started walking away and heard the crowd started yelling ‘alright, alright alright.’ Austin was very impressive. We liked it a lot. Coach (Tom) Herman was very, very impressive. Herman and my wife got into this thing about the quote of the day. My wife is very religious, we all are, and they were exchanging about that. The facility was very nice and they’re going to add to it. The whole attitude towards Texas football around the community and against the coaches and Herman himself picked us up at the airport. That was one of those things that was very impressive to us. The way they treated Bijan while he was there.”

Between Herman, the relationship with Stan Drayton, the success Tim Beck has had in Arizona and collectively what the Longhorns staff has done, I like them over USC as things stand now. Robinson's favorite player growing up was Reggie Bush, his aunt he's close to lives in Los Angeles and he believes the Trojans will soon turn things around but I'm going to ride with Texas heading into the decision that's five days away.

• Like 1

From a couple of weeks ago 😁

(Dave Biddle) Bank on Bijan: 'I have him in ink, not pencil'

Is 5-star running back Bijan Robinson going to join Ohio State's stellar 2020 recruiting class, which is currently No. 4 in the country in the 247Sports Composite team rankings?

The answer to that question is "hell yes" if you are Bucknuts' writer Bill "Bank" Greene. Bank joins Dave Biddle on today's show to give insights on the top players remaining on OSU's board for the 2020 class. Specifically, Robinson, Elias Ricks, Lathan Ransom, Jaylan Knighton, Jacolbe Cowan and Kourt Williams?

Also, what's the deal with the "hard cap" of 25 players per recruiting class? Are their loopholes the Buckeyes can use to get over 25? All of that and more is coming at you on the Monday extravaganza.

FOR YOUR LISTENING PLEASURE

Edited by satyanash
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

Lulz at Wells. “Texas was the pick the whole time!”.

I want to like Wells but he proves to be another village idiot every time he writes or speaks. No one is recruiting "over" Bijan and it was not an osu-Texas battle at Rivals, it was all osu. 

4 minutes ago, Goodman said:

I want to like Wells but he proves to be another village idiot every time he writes or speaks. No one is recruiting "over" Bijan and it was not an osu-Texas battle at Rivals, it was all osu. 

Also a thing at rivals: Broughton being all A&M with tOSU not far behind 

5 minutes ago, Goodman said:

I don't know about Wells but IT has been pretty adamant that Bijan wasn't a lock to Ohio State. Nahlin was saying recently that we still had a shot. Matter of fact, people on this board were making fun of IT for saying we still had a shot. 

You can't have it both ways. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

So basically that whole Rivals camps was just massive anti-UT misinformation. That was where Broughton to aggys nd Bijan to tOSU really gained momentum.

You wonder if Robinson and Broughton were growing tired of hearing so much anti-Texas bullshit that they just decided to tell other recruits what they wanted to hear so they wouldn't have to put up with it anymore.  

"Don't go to Texas, come join us at tosu/aggy!"

"Sure that's what I'll do"  <under breath>as far as you know<under breath>

Then, in the days leading up to their announcements and people are asking about them making commit videos to tosu/aggy, they went quiet, coaches started calling, and signs started pointing to Texas.

10 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I don't know about Wells but IT has been pretty adamant that Bijan wasn't a lock to Ohio State. Nahlin was saying recently that we still had a shot. Matter of fact, people on this board were making fun of IT for saying we still had a shot. 

Sure we can

If this happens, has there ever been a better 30 day stretch in recruiting? I’m trying to think and cannot come up with anything that compares. We would have landed our two top targets for 2020 while the 2021 clsss went off at the same time. Just insane. 

Edited by Newy25
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Both ways? Wells is the one who wrote that nonsense. No one is talking about IT or Nahlin(cough).

19 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

If this happens, has there ever been a better 30 day stretch in recruiting? I’m trying to think and cannot come up with anything that compares. We would have landed our two top targets for 2020 while the 2021 clsss went off at the same time. Just insane. 

Across two classes, pretty awesome. It's hard to beat the finish in 2016 in the last 30 (plus a couple) days:

Jean Delance    OT    North Mesquite    4    1/2/16
Zach Shackelford    G    Belton    3    1/17/16
Eric Cuffee    CB    Waco    4    1/28/16
Lil'Jordan Humphrey    WR    Southlake Carroll    3    1/30/16
Kyle Porter    RB    Katy    4    2/2/16
D'Andre Christmas-Giles    DT    New Orleans (La.)    3    2/2/16
Marcel Southall    DT    Duncanville    3    2/3/16
Chris Daniels    DT    Euless Trinity    4    2/3/16
Brandon Jones    S    Nacogdoches    4    2/3/16
Erick Fowler    LB    Manor    4    2/3/16
Chris Brown    S    Alief Elsik    3    2/3/16
Jeffrey McCulloch    LB    Aldine Davis    4    2/3/16
Jordan Elliott    DT    Houston Westside    4    2/3/16

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheFlyingBoat said:

As the other resident Indian here I feel as though I'd be remiss if I failed to post this to celebrate.

b8eai3kfs2s21.gif

Ha-ha.  I got so drunk during the  Baylor game last year, I proceeded to learn this entire dance after the game was over.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

Wasn't a USC "mod", it was whoever Super K's source in California is.

I'll wait for Blair Angulo.

Fong is almost always right and he's had a couple exclusive interviews with Bijan. Fong has some type of inside track on this recruitment. It would be shocking if it's not Texas. 

2 hours ago, GRHorn said:

Putting aside any off field/mental makeup concerns, I think there is a drop off on the physical skill side, but it’s a small one.

Like dropping from Ricky to Cedric. 

I get what you're saying, but more like dropping from Cedric to D'onta Foreman. Not really much of a dropoff if at all. 

8 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I don't know why but I imagine CTJ running the 40 looking like Darren Rovell. 

I’m in Austin all the time. I’ll be there for LSU if you’re not in Austin but might be there then. We can all meet up for a 40 race. We could do like a $50 entry fee for anyone who wants to race, winner take all. I’ll then use all of the money on booze and cheese fries.

I raced SydneyCarton a few months ago and had 10 yards on him crossing the goal line in a 100 yard sprint. He was demoralized.  

• Like 5
  • Haha 1