Rip Torn has died

Hank Kingsley

"We're familiar with it."  

RIP torn

I don't think there was ever a time you popped up on screen that I didn't smile before you a chance to say something.  

^

that was a great little film.  Shit, Rebecca DeMornay showed off her dramatic chops better than anyone.  Powers Boothe, James Earl Jones, and the Charles, Sr. from "Billions."  Everybody was great in that movie.  I know Torn did a lot of silly stuff, but he was masterful at dark comedy.  An absolute genius.  Nevermind somewhere tonight at the office of East Coast television and microwave programming...a mentee is missing his master.  

I love that he left the corps of cadets because they were ‘comically absurd’ to transfer to UT.  When the irreverently jocular Rip Torn thinks your little club is unironically laughable, you have serious issues.  And he went on to become a decorated Army veteran.  

Real Army 

Real Longhorn 

Real Texan 

Real Funny 

Really Missed 

All of that for a paragraph

The way Torn tells it, it was Hopper who pulled a knife on him. Hopper had made some remark about how "all Texans are assholes," and Torn told him, "You can't judge all Texans by me." This outraged Hopper, who grabbed a knife off the dinner table and lunged at Torn--a former military policeman--who then turned the weapon on his attacker, forcing Hopper to drop it.

Edited by cactusflinthead