Jim Harbaugh NO LONGER coaches at Michigan

Parliament

There’s no way Harbaugh didn’t know. 0% chance. 

There’s photos of other Michigan staff (in addition to CS) holding the cheat sheets on the sidelines. The whole team was likely in on it- the video from the Ohio State game is pretty telling- half the sideline is signaling pass after the sideline audible at the line.

No doubt in my mind more evidence will trickle out in the next few days. Could get ugly- who knows though. 

I’m sure this is no surprise…but when I was a student, I worked on the equipment staff at UT in the early 2010s for a couple of years. Nothing like this shit was ever so much as discussed inside Moncrief- unless it was referring to other programs doing shit like this to Texas.

Mack fucked us at the end, but he ran a very tight ship on this front. No nefarious bullshit like this. Ever. 

/Not Shamewood. He was before my time I think. 

Edited by Wilcox Cummingtonite
  • Hook 'Em 2

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Tex Long said:

Closeto, ChiTown and other presumptive investor-class Surlies, listen up.

I've got a business plan put together for an absolutely certain winner. I call it Executive Bench Press, and quite a few of the top 50 FBS teams are clearly interested in signing on. Basically, we will have camera equipment on both sidelines and both endzones of every game, either in humn hands or in the form of insect-sized nanodrones, and will have access to any broadcast/streamed material. Our HQ crew will be using state-of-the-art near-quantum computers with battlefield-tested AI to convolve both formational and individual player data into multi-variable playing field tendencies and abilities correlated  directly with sideline gestural activities. Recorded materials will be available in several packages, from Full Member to  Single Game. Full Members will have online access during actual subsequent games, with mutliple 4K Tablet Bench Press units. A special level of investors, as part owners of the business, will have actual real-time access to opponents' sideline activities, including audio and video, with real-time decoding of signals.

Startup requirements are currently estimated at less than half of an aggy Football Head Corch semi-decadial salary. 

Funny enough I could most of the analytics and code breaking if we want to do proof of concept…. Would be worthwhile to look at maybe OU/KU for a filming options to do proof of concept on 

• Hook 'Em 1

All this shit makes the Mazi pick look even dumber for Jerry. Nobody told him Michigan was stealing signs? He really thought Mazi was that good? This sign stealing shit had to have been an open secret in the football world for quite some time. 

Edited by MrBig
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, lilMAC25 said:

I went into this thinking it was nothing.

I’ve changed my mind based on the information available, it’s a pretty big deal.

not sure what the end result will be, but it’s clearly a big deal.

You know, my whole life I've thought of Michigan and Texas as being the same in terms of integrity, emphasis on student academics etc.... Really, I've always rooted for Michigan in literally every game they've ever played except when they played Texas.  Man, I just don't know about anything anymore.  I mean, I'll always hate Ohio State more I guess but .. shit. Even Michigan is cheating?

• Hook 'Em 7

This obviously seems bad. But is it a gray area? Is it explicitly against the rules to send scouts to other games and have them observe the other teams signals and learn their tendencies/playcalls? I mean it seems like it would be in violation of a rule, but if it isnt, I can definitely see Michigan slithering away here unscathed. 

Is the Jan 2023 firing of the former co-OC Matt Weiss related to this at all? The article says his home was searched by investigators. This happened months ago and just quietly went away.

Matt Weiss fired for 'inappropriately' accessing computer accounts, UM alleges

Former Michigan co-offensive coordinator Matt Weiss was fired Jan. 20 after it was found during a university investigation review that day that he appeared to "have inappropriately accessed” computer accounts, according to his termination letter.

Weiss was asked to appear at the meeting and was informed in a Jan. 19 memo the investigation was for violations of the University of Michigan’s Standard Practice Guide (SPG) policies, according to documents obtained Monday by The Detroit News. The memo to Weiss said a summary of the “relevant evidence” was attached, but it was not included in the documents The News requested. Weiss did not appear at the Jan. 19 meeting.

“Because you did not attend this meeting and offer any additional information, we are making our decision based on the evidence that we have,” Doug Gnodtke, executive associate athletic director and Chief of Staff for University of Michigan athletics, wrote in the termination letter. “Based on the evidence it appears that you have inappropriately accessed the computer accounts of other individuals in violation of SPG 601.07. As a result, your appointment has been terminated with cause.”

Michigan athletic director Warde Manuel announced later that day that Weiss had been fired.

The details of what exactly Weiss was accessing from computer accounts and whose accounts remains unclear. Melissa Overton, UM Chief of Police, when contacted by The News on Monday, had no comment, saying this is “still an active investigation.”

The News first reported Jan. 17 that Weiss was on paid leave from the university after two sources familiar with the investigation said Weiss’ home in Ann Arbor was searched by investigators Jan. 10. The sources, including an eyewitness, said law enforcement officers and unmarked vehicles were present at the home.

Weiss, according to the documents, was suspended with pay on Jan. 10, according to a memo addressed to him that day. He was informed in the memo not to contact any current or former student-athletes or any members of the athletic department, visit any facility on campus or conduct any university business or attempt to access any UM systems, including email.

A UM police log indicated on Jan. 5 that an employee reported “fraudulent activity” involving someone accessing university email accounts. "It was found that a crime may have been committed," the log reads.

The alleged computer crimes, however, happened days earlier, according to a statement The News received from UM Deputy Police Chief Crystal James on Jan. 17. James indicated the UM Police Department was investigating “computer access crimes that occurred at Schembechler Hall during Dec. 21 through the 23rd of 2022.”

Weiss was found by the university to have violated Michigan’s Standard Practice Guide policies under code 601.07, which covers UM’s information technology.

“Members of the university community are expected to be good stewards of the university’s information resources and data, and use them in a safe, responsible, ethical, and legal manner,” the policy reads in part.

Weiss, 39, issued a brief comment on social media after his termination from the university was announced Jan. 20.

"I have nothing but respect for the University of Michigan and the people who make it such a great place,” Weiss wrote. “I look forward to putting this matter behind me and returning my focus to the game that I love."

He had been hired from the Baltimore Ravens to coach Michigan’s quarterbacks in February 2021 and was promoted before the 2022 season to co-offensive coordinator with Sherrone Moore.

Weiss made a $600,000 base salary in 2021 and signed a three-year contract extension in early 2022 that bumped his pay to $850,000 each year through Jan. 10, 2025.

Michigan finished 13-1 in 2022 and contract bonuses were triggered for Weiss and Moore, who is the co-offensive coordinator/offensive line coach. Each received $100,000 because Michigan finished in the Big Ten’s top two scoring offenses (Michigan was second behind Ohio State) and also another $100,000 for the offense finishing among the nation’s top 10 (Michigan finished sixth). Each also earned a minimum $200,000 for regular-season wins, including and exceeding nine wins, according to contract language.

Weiss came to Ann Arbor after spending 12 seasons (2009-20) on the Baltimore Ravens staff for head coach John Harbaugh, Jim Harbaugh’s older brother. Weiss was a graduate assistant at Stanford (2005-08) where he had previously worked for current Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/college/university-michigan/2023/02/13/matt-weiss-fired-inappropriately-accessing-computer-accounts-michigan-wolverines/69900672007/

25 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

This obviously seems bad. But is it a gray area? Is it explicitly against the rules to send scouts to other games and have them observe the other teams signals and learn their tendencies/playcalls? I mean it seems like it would be in violation of a rule, but if it isnt, I can definitely see Michigan slithering away here unscathed. 

Yes, it is explicity against the rules. You can't do any off-campus scouting of future opponents. You also can't involve electronic devices with ANY sign stealing. 

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, MrBig said:

Is the Jan 2023 firing of the former co-OC Matt Weiss related to this at all? The article says his home was searched by investigators. This happened months ago and just quietly went away.

Matt Weiss fired for 'inappropriately' accessing computer accounts, UM alleges. 

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/college/university-michigan/2023/02/13/matt-weiss-fired-inappropriately-accessing-computer-accounts-michigan-wolverines/69900672007/

the mueller report see GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Not sure if Paywalled, but the NCAA is coming to give michigan a warning and potentially give them "notice" (michigan has 90 days to respond and they will 100% wait until after the season to do so)

https://www.on3.com/teams/michigan-wolverines/news/ncaa-expected-in-this-week-can-michigan-be-punished-this-year-what-about-jim-harbaughs-contract/

Also pretty epic read from the enemy. 

https://www-elevenwarriors-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.elevenwarriors.com/college-football/2023/10/141992/threat-level-is-proud-of-michigan-football-for-finally-becoming-exactly-who-they-always-wanted-to-be?amp&amp_js_v=0.1#webview=1&cap=swipe

The Threat Level is SEVERE. Because Michigan football, which is now as successful and scandal-ridden as every other big time program, has finally become who they really wanted to be all along: Ohio State.

Edited by Juicy
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

It amazes me how many people stand behind the “cheating happens in sports, if you ain’t cheating you ain’t trying” mantra and be unwilling to accept that there is a distinct differences between gamesmanship and blatant breaking of the rules to the point that it significantly biases the game.

To me, this is so similar to the Astros situation that it is hilarious because we have some media pundits switching their views from indignation to “boys will be boys” based upon their perceived loyalties.

To me what Michigan needs to be much more afraid of the potential Vegas is pulling their lines (both weekly and season long bets). If they do follow through with it, it signals that both Vegas knows and accepts that this was going on and they want no part of it because it becomes impossible to bake this into their spreads. If that is the case they will go out of their way to make sure something happens to Michigan, just purely as a deterrent for other schools to keep within the unwritten rules. Make no bones about it, the NCAA is a weak investigative unit but Vegas can and will wield extreme power and influence to force the issue.

Edited by Laxtonto
  • Hook 'Em 8
  • Rage+1 1

This is bigger than the Astros scandal I think.  The was for just breaking ball or fastball with nothing about location or pitch type for breaking balls.  There was still some guess work for the hitter.  This is beyond just knowing if it's run or pass.  If they put in enough work, they would have known the exact run play and the route options on pass plays.

4 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

The fact that they just involved regular people off the street is the most idiotic part of all of this.  They should be forced to vacate wins, and face a post season ban starting now.  It appears current players are in on it, so this is very different than retroactive punishment for recruiting violations that occurred before current players were on the team.

• Hook 'Em 2

Rivals dipshits like this aren't helping- basically just a sad attempt at gaslighting w/ a healthy side of disinformation.

It was the first fucking drive of the game and half the Michigan sideline is obviously looking for the pre-scouted signal (already on the pre-printed signal sheets that multiple staffers are on camera holding) once Ohio St audibles at the line. They all knew what was going on. That's not gamesmanship or "in-game" sign reading- that's called cheating per the NCAA.

Edited by Wilcox Cummingtonite
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Wilcox Cummingtonite said:

The worst about this is I fucking hate Ohio State, but I'll damn sure be rooting for them to kick the shit out of Michigan/Harbaugh from here on out.

Welcome to the Brotherhood.  I'll send you a complementary jersey.  Wear it with the jorts of your choosing.

• Haha 6

• immamac changed the title to Jim Harbaugh NO LONGER coaches at Michigan