Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

Wow. I’m struggling to fathom how you even read Nahlin’s post and ginned up that interpretation. It goes beyond basic reading incomprehension. It’s like art. 

I mean, look at the poster. He’s the Helobious of the recruiting board. Sometimes I’m convinced he’s posting from the state hospital in Big Spring.
  • Haha 6

2 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

I mean, look at the poster. He’s the Helobious of the recruiting board. Sometimes I’m convinced he’s posting from the state hospital in Big Spring.

I have it on good authority that the state hospital in Big Spring is terrible and they try to dump their patients at the Mexia state supported living center some 30-35 miles west of Big Spring.

22 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

*aggy.

And your original post was the definition of regarded. It was bad and you should feel bad.

It didn't seem like such a bad take.  The recruiting services are notorious for applying some arbitrary criteria and favoring guys that go to their camps and the elite competitions in the rankings.  Hell, in our last class one of the recruiting services dinged one of our OL recruits because they thought his arm length would shrink if he lost weight.

Nothing in what he said argued that Manning himself was any less of a player or even that he should be going to camps and competitions.  He was only saying that with the nature of how some of these recruiting services do their rankings it's not unreasonable that someone will find some basis to ding him slightly.

• Hook 'Em 3

27 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Holy fuck man. Relax. The question was asked "does Arch end up being ranked as a perfect recruit" and I gave my opinion that ultimately I think he'll be dinged a tiny bit. I still think he'll be the #1 overall recruit in the class, but he won't be "perfect" like VY, Rashan Gary, Clowney, etc. There have only been 5 "perfect" recruits in history. Multiple articles have been published this week questioning if he might be overrated. I don't give a fuck about any of that. I don't give a shit about camps. I don't give a shit about elite 11. I don't give a shit about the competition he plays against. But it's enough to instill just a little bit of doubt for the ranking services to consider dinging him a bit. You taking offense to my opinion on where he'll ultimately end up being ranked is an aggie-level overreaction. 

There is not one recruiting service who is going to have the stones to drop a Manning in the rankings. It just isn't going to happen. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, nunna yo bizness said:

It didn't seem like such a bad take.  The recruiting services are notorious for applying some arbitrary criteria and favoring guys that go to their camps and the elite competitions in the rankings.  Hell, in our last class one of the recruiting services dinged one of our OL recruits because they thought his arm length would shrink if he lost weight.

Nothing in what he said argued that Manning himself was any less of a player or even that he should be going to camps and competitions.  He was only saying that with the nature of how some of these recruiting services do their rankings it's not unreasonable that someone will find some basis to ding him slightly.

Same guy also said that someone 6'4 360 pounds 'should be able to dunk' and  'I don't think that shows great athleticism'.  These are the assholes assigning the numbers we live and die by.

I need a drink.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

There is not one recruiting service who is going to have the stones to drop a Manning in the rankings. It just isn't going to happen. 

Given that there have only been five perfect scores, which didn't include any Mannings, there are two Mannings that represent data points in disagreement with that.

6 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Nolan Ryan only received 99% of 1st ballot hof votes. People have done dumber things.

• Like 3
  • Rage+1 3

Last couple pages of this thread is like watching the scene out of a movie where a car is teetering over the edge of a cliff.

Does a commitment bring balance back to the board, or do we follow current story arch where the proverbial butterfly lands on the wrong side of the car, it falls into the abyss and we're exclusively talking geography, [insert iconic food item] and day-to-night shifts exclusively in a matter of hours?

Stay tuned. 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, nunna yo bizness said:

Given that there have only been five perfect scores, which didn't include any Mannings, there are two Mannings that represent data points in disagreement with that.

Eli was in school well before Peyton had started winning super bowls. Now that TWO Mannings have gone on to win multiple super bowls each, it is a different conversation and lens with which to view Arch, fair or not. He has the same mentality and work ethic already as his Uncles, and that is apparent by the way he has approached his recruiting process. He isn't going to suddenly shit the bed this year on the field either. Plus, the kids know. This momentum hasn't happened for Jackson Arnold, or Malachi Nelson, etc. 

Edited by Vertigo

46 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Holy fuck man. Relax. The question was asked "does Arch end up being ranked as a perfect recruit" and I gave my opinion that ultimately I think he'll be dinged a tiny bit. I still think he'll be the #1 overall recruit in the class, but he won't be "perfect" like VY, Rashan Gary, Clowney, etc. There have only been 5 "perfect" recruits in history. Multiple articles have been published this week questioning if he might be overrated. I don't give a fuck about any of that. I don't give a shit about camps. I don't give a shit about elite 11. I don't give a shit about the competition he plays against. But it's enough to instill just a little bit of doubt for the ranking services to consider dinging him a bit. You taking offense to my opinion on where he'll ultimately end up being ranked is an aggie-level overreaction. 

That’s a lot of time, effort, and patient explanation when “Jesus you’re stupid” would have sufficed. 

I also predict Arch will get dinged. You fucks act like there aren’t a bunch of biased folks with votes working at all of these recruiting services and that those things don’t influence their ratings. Not that we didn’t already see that narrative pushed all week. Bunch of dudes white knighting recruiting services on surly is…certainly a new one I didn’t have on my bingo card. Fuck. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

UDontKnow google maps either. This is some beautiful smooth brain shit right here. 

I Love It Reaction GIF by Magic: The Gathering

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, irishtexan said:

He has a perfect rating currently, so of course Arch is likely to be lower. He only has one direction he can go. To be honest, I do think he is over-rated. I think he will be a great QB. He can make every throw and he knows how to play QB. That said he isnt running a 4.4 and I would guess he would have the 3rd/4th strongest arm in Texas's Qb room right now. Not that I think that is very important in a QB, but things like speed and arm strength tend to mean more in recruiting rankings than game play.  I would argue if someone said he is a 3 star, but I think if you are even remotely unbiased it is really hard to argue any recruit deserves a perfect ranking. 

Edited by Codaxx

26 minutes ago, Vito Andolini said:

You might want to double check your Big Spring.

24 minutes ago, Laga4 said:

There is some Surly level geography going on here.

Well I've been bamboozled. Fucking Google Maps. I had to consult on a patient in Big Spring earlier this week who might have been transferring facilities and I looked up the location.

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, nunna yo bizness said:

Honest question because i dont know the answer. Were they rating players like they do now back when Cooper/Eli/Peyton were in HS?

Humidor:

By: Justin, Gerry, and Eric

Texas and Sydir Mitchell (Oradell, N.L./Bergen Catholic) could be walking down the aisle soon. And soon could be as early as Sunday, from what Inside Texas has gathered. If not Sunday, a decision could come early next week. The 6-foot-4.5, 345-pound 16-year old defensive tackle is leaning to Texas over Georgia, with Miami still swinging. Texas A&M was the fourth school under consideration.

The recruitment of Hunter Osborne (Trussville, Ala./Hewitt-Trussville) is getting interesting. One source believes the decision will ultimately come down to Texas vs. Tennessee. Word from the source is the parents may not be as enamored with Clemson as the On3 Consensus 4-star defensive lineman is.

The family has checked off on Texas following the official visit. Tennessee didn't have as good of a visit for Hunter as Clemson or Texas, but that doesn't mean they can’t out.

Don't underestimate the talent of On300 No. 145 Jamarious Brown (Moss Point, Miss.). Texas offered earlier this week, and the 6-foot-3, near 270-pounder is scheduled to be in Austin the last week of July. One close friend compared him to Henry Melton.

How talented is Brown? Alabama is trying to get Brown to Tuscaloosa the same weekend as Texas. The competition is Alabama and Ole Miss, as of today. The Texas staff doesn't lack for strong connections in the Magnolia State.

And then there is this. Texas has placed the ball in the court of On300 No. 16 Zalance Heard (Monroe, La./Neville). The Texas defensive staff is out of the recruitment. If Heard wants to jump in the class, he will have to make the call to offensive line coach Kyle Flood and head coach Steve Sarkisian.

Derion Gullette, LB, Marlin (Texas): The Horns continue to hold the cards for the talented edge-backer prospect from the Cen-Tex region. Steve Sarkisian and Pete Kwiatkowski have been tremendous in the pursuit of Gullette.

The 6-foot-3, 230-pound four-star holds the Horns in high esteem, and after a solid official visit to Ohio State in June, the Buckeyes might be UT’s toughest competition.

We still feel like the Longhorns are the team to beat and wouldn’t be surprised with an early July decision.

Malik Muhammad, CB, Dallas (Texas) South Oak Cliff: Muhammad dropped his top schools list on Thursday - Texas, Alabama, and Texas A&M. The On3 No. 2 overall corner in the 2023 cycle is watching the Horns class build. Even before Arch Manning’s pledge, Texas had tilted this recruitment towards Austin with a great official visit. The relationship between the Muhammads and the Horns staff continues to grow.

When teammate, and cousin, Billy Walton flipped from Oklahoma State this week, it was yet another point in UT’s favor.

Texas is in a position of envy and we don’t think this one will drag out much further.

Javien Toviano, CB, Arlington (Texas) Martin: Toviano’s college preferences seem to fluctuate at times, with Georgia, Alabama, and Texas A&M a few of the programs that have caught his eye lately. Add Texas back to the list.

The Horns have Toviano’s attention and are pushing for the talented four-star to see Austin again. With former Arlington Martin teammates Morice Blackwell and Trevell Johnson on the Forty Acres, Toviano gets the burnt orange sell from those close to him.

Toviano wants to return to the Forty Acres since his last stop was in late January. He’s had a number of visits scheduled that fell through. A trip to Austin in late July for the BBQ seems to be the ideal time for Texas to make a strong push for the multi-sport stud.

Texas is right back in the thick of things. From here on out will be about jockeying for position then hitting the gas when he gets close to making his decision.

JULY BBQ

With the dead period, recruiting momentum could slow ever so slightly until the last weekend in July when the Horns host their annual event.

With prospects lined up like Terrance Green, Jordan Matthews, and Markis Deal, Inside Texas has learned there’s a good possibility New Orleans (La.) Isidore Newman quarterback Arch Manning and tight end Will Randle will be making the trip to Austin. We actually expect those two to make it, but it’s not set in stone just yet.

Texas also wants Longview (Texas) wide receiver Jalen Hale to make the trip. The Horns have Hale’s attention, along with Alabama, Georgia, and USC. Hale needs to make it to campus before the class fills up, and at this rate, he’s on the clock.

We’ll have a more thorough list in the coming weeks but we’d be surprised if Johntay Cook, Tre Wisner, Malik Muhammad, and more don’t make it to the recruiting bash.

• Hook 'Em 4

18 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Eli was in school well before Peyton had started winning super bowls. Now that TWO Mannings have gone on to win multiple super bowls each, it is a different conversation and lens with which to view Arch, fair or not. He has the same mentality and work ethic already as his Uncles, and that is apparent by the way he has approached his recruiting process. He isn't going to suddenly shit the bed this year on the field either. Plus, the kids know. This momentum hasn't happened for Jackson Arnold, or Malachi Nelson, etc. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Enchubben said:

Honest question because i dont know the answer. Were they rating players like they do now back when Cooper/Eli/Peyton were in HS?

i think there was just Rivals I think in 99 for Eli?

94 for Peyton (behind Josh Booty IIRC in his class, seeing some stuff saying he was pre star system) and 99 for Eli (one article has him as #15 QB in his class? another says he was a 3* recruit and #17 in his class)

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

He has a perfect rating currently, so of course Arch is likely to be lower. He only has one direction he can go. To be honest, I do think he is over-rated. I think he will be a great QB. He can make every throw and he knows how to play QB. That said he isnt running a 4.4 and I would guess he would have the 3rd/4th strongest arm in Texas's Qb room right now. Not that I think that is very important in a QB, but things like speed and arm strength tend to mean more in recruiting rankings than game play.  I would argue if someone said he is a 3 star, but I think if you are even remotely unbiased it is really hard to argue any recruit deserves a perfect ranking. 

Doesn't the composite "perfect rating" just mean they're the #1 overall recruit in every ranking set included in the composite? So a recruit could be 1.000 in the composite partially because of a weak recruiting year at the top of the rankings. It's not really a "this is how good this recruit is" score. It's a relative ranking disguised as a numerical rating. 

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Motherfucker. How does shit like this happen? Productive updates and interesting speculation and then suddenly, dipshitted disputes over absurd fantasy classes and insecure handwringing about recruiting gurus lowering Manning’s rating because … because. Just idiocy from good posters, bad posters and whatever the fuck BurntOrange&White is. 

Help us, Malik Muhammed and Sydir Mitchell, you guys are our only hope. 

I prefer to toe the good poster/shitty poster line depending on how I feel. Sometimes you just have to shit post a few times to get it out of the system.

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, NoName said:

i think there was just Rivals I think in 99 for Eli?

94 for Peyton (behind Josh Booty IIRC in his class, seeing some stuff saying he was pre star system) and 99 for Eli (one article has him as #15 QB in his class? another says he was a 3* recruit and #17 in his class)

I remember thinking Peyton through a funny ball and that Ryan Leaf was the better prospect.

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Those camps will arguably give him worse coaching than he's already received. You don't think he's working with his uncles, their trainers, and etc? LOL. Makes perfect sense why he doesn't camp.

Yeah, he doesn’t need to be dumbed-down. That’s why his family was so particular about who would be coaching him in college.

5 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Doesn't the composite "perfect rating" just mean they're the #1 overall recruit in every ranking set included in the composite? So a recruit could be 1.000 in the composite partially because of a weak recruiting year at the top of the rankings. It's not really a "this is how good this recruit is" score. It's a relative ranking disguised as a numerical rating. 

Yes, that’s technically correct. The composite rating is more of a “percentile” score for that recruit within that year’s class. If you want to get the rating service’s actual rating, you have to go their specific ranking. The problem is that they all use different scales so there’s no great way to compare what they think across classes. 

Another issue is that what the services value at each position has dramatically changed over the years too. I don’t think Zach Branch would be WR1 in 2017 because all the services would have said he’s “too small.” Now, he’s just seen as having elite speed and great hands.

3 minutes ago, mwaadeeb said:

I remember thinking Peyton through a funny ball and that Ryan Leaf was the better prospect.

People forget that was a pretty popular opinion. Ryan was the Qb with the high upside. If Leaf didnt show up with an additional 20 pounds at the combine, he might have been the #1 pick.