Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

4 hours ago, Post Oak said:

This is the TE Gerry said we've reached out too. Committed to Vandy.  6'6 220.  Looking at his HUDL there's a lot to like.

https://247sports.com/Player/KaMorreun-Pimpton-46130497/

https://www.hudl.com/profile/13711355/KaMorreun-Pimpton

Damn. He's clearly got some developing to do - but I definitely wouldn't hate him as a take. Stick him in the weight room and coach him on blocking and route running for two years and then see what he turns into. 

Edited by campcrunk

On 10/8/2022 at 9:23 PM, Mantis Toboggan, MD said:

If you removed Colton Vasek from OU’s class, you could call it a…

Wait for it…

Vasektomy

Dammit. Just got to your post. Figured someone would beat me to it. I was going to add in the sunglasses gif and everything.

At least you’re a doctor, so you’re medically qualified to make the post…

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Post Oak said:

This is the TE Gerry said we've reached out too. Committed to Vandy.  6'6 220.  Looking at his HUDL there's a lot to like.

https://247sports.com/Player/KaMorreun-Pimpton-46130497/

https://www.hudl.com/profile/13711355/KaMorreun-Pimpton

Does this mean we aren’t looking to good with Duce ??? 

USC’s TE’s though 6 games total 8/82/3.  

Texas TE’s through 6 games (including Hudson Card for 3 games) total 29/308/5.

I’m assuming he goes to USC at this point until something drastically changes or he shows up on campus, but it wont be because Riley’s offense is more TE friendly.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Athletic: Top high school recruits: How the nation’s elite prospects fared over the weekend

Arch:

Spoiler

Drive of the week: Manning leads Newman from behind

Manning is no stranger to big moments, and Friday night, the nation’s top recruit again rose to the occasion.

Down four points to Class 4A Belle Chasse on the road, Class 2A Newman got the ball back with about 3 1/2 minutes to play. Newman coach Nelson Stewart said the Greenies wanted to control the tempo and, as such, put together two strong runs early in the drive. But when Belle Chasse went to a single-high-safety look, the Greenies pounced on an opportunity to beat the Cardinals through the air and perfectly executed a textbook four-verticals passing concept.

Manning’s offensive line picked up the blitz, and the five-star Texas commit delivered a 43-yard strike to wide receiver Saint Villere for what became the game winner. Newman went up 23-20 and hung on to win the game.

“You see seam throws a lot where you see a vertical (and) a guy just throws it on a line. Not only did (Manning) look off the safety — he threw it so hard, he actually redirected Saint Villere and put him in, and it was beautiful,” Stewart said. “When you can throw those seams hard — I mean, a 50-yard throw and he put it on a rope — I think that’s really impressive because you hear about his arm strength, but I do think his touch is just so elite.”

With the win, Newman improved to 5-1 and is heading into an idle week before district play begins later this month. Manning finished the night 11-of-17 with 152 yards, two touchdowns and no interceptions. He is three touchdowns away from breaking Newman’s record of 127 career touchdowns, set by Jay Tyler. Tyler, who went on to play wide receiver at Stanford as a three-star athlete in the Class of 2015, set the record as a rusher, receiver and returner.

“That was a record we thought was unbreakable,” Stewart said. “Right now, (Manning) is at 125, and I don’t get too caught in the records, but that’s a pretty unbelievable number. … His body of work, I think, is just really impressive.”

Duce Robinson:

Spoiler

Duce Robinson shows out

The nation’s top tight end, five-star Duce Robinson, still hasn’t committed to a school. But Friday night, the Pinnacle (Ariz.) prospect showed why he remains one of the top pass-catching tight ends in the country. Look no further than his leaping abilities on this catch in double coverage:

Robinson, also an elite baseball player, officially visited USC in June, Georgia in September and Alabama over the weekend for the Crimson Tide’s showdown against Texas A&M, according to his 247Sports profile.

Can Riley snag another West Coast five-star?

Johntay Cook:

Spoiler

Johntay Cook having fun

What a week for five-star Texas commit Johntay Cook.

First, the DeSoto (Texas) wide receiver won homecoming king Friday — the same night he received his Under Armour-All America jersey, according to his Twitter.

Then, on Saturday, he watched Texas clobber Oklahoma in the Red River rivalry, with the Longhorns shutting out the Sooners 49-0. And he didn’t hold back about his excitement.

“Give them hell, give them hell,” he tweeted. “OU sucks.”

(Photo of El

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

Would prefer Kyle Parker over him but not gonna lose sleep over it. Cook should be ready to play day 1 and then if they use a portal spot on a WR they will be alright heading into next year.

100% Of the targets outside of Hale I think Kyle Parker is the best of them. 

To Whom It May Concern:

I'd like to lodge a complaint. I was promised a Vasek flip and other magical recruiting developments once we hammer OU and Aggies lose. I have yet to receive any of these guaranteed recruits. 

Please remedy this oversight ASAP or I will be forced to retain counsel and file for the appropriate injunctive relief. 

Warmest regards, 

J. Bonner 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 4

24 minutes ago, Junior Bonner said:

To Whom It May Concern:

I'd like to lodge a complaint. I was promised a Vasek flip and other magical recruiting developments once we hammer OU and Aggies lose. I have yet to receive any of these guaranteed recruits. 

Please remedy this oversight ASAP or I will be forced to retain counsel and file for the appropriate injunctive relief. 

Warmest regards, 

J. Bonner 

Maybe take a nap. That usually works for you. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Enchubben said:

USC’s TE’s though 6 games total 8/82/3.  

Texas TE’s through 6 games (including Hudson Card for 3 games) total 29/308/5.

I’m assuming he goes to USC at this point until something drastically changes or he shows up on campus, but it wont be because Riley’s offense is more TE friendly.

To be fair, Riley usually has pretty good production from his TE/FB position. This could just be a personnel issue. 

I'm really curious what our sets look like with Billingsley coming back this weekend. Do we see some 3 TE sets?

• Hook 'Em 1

Roach (tldr nothing of consequence)

Spoiler

The 2023 recruiting cycle should continue to heat up again as we move into late October and decisions are made by priority recruits.

The Longhorns are now 4-2 following a huge shutout over Oklahoma in the Red River Shootout. In front of a loaded crowd of recruits and their families, the Longhorns executed a nearly perfect game on both sides of the ball. Recruiting has been fairly slow for the Longhorns since filling up the majority of the class during the summer, and only a few targets remain. Most of those targets are highly-ranked and the Longhorns are engaged in some high-stakes battles for them down the stretch.

Was there a recruiting bump from Saturday's performance? Can Texas flip a commit from one of their rivals? Where do things stand with a Texas commit other schools are trying to flip?

In this week's edition of The Stampede, Horns247's weekly gathering of recruiting intel, we talk about those subjects and more.

OVERALL MOOD FOLLOWING RED RIVER SHOOTOUT
In talking with sources following a huge win in Dallas over rival Oklahoma. There’s been a prevailing sentiment that many in Austin (and several people nationally) feel that the Longhorns would be 5-0 with a healthy Quinn Ewers. The offense is moving at a level that would be attractive to most skill players, and the defense has been strong throughout most of the season. The staff will use that to try and push to land some remaining targets on the board. The Longhorns will have to continue to play well of course, but the optimism from sources in Austin and the feedback we are hearing from recruits indicates a positive future if Texas continues to show positives on the field.

THE CURIOUS CASE OF JAVIEN TOVIANO

Javien Toviano (Photo: Mike Roach, 247Sports)

I checked in with a source regarding four-star Arlington Martin cornerback Javien Toviano who was at the game over the weekend. While Toviano tweeted some positive things following the game. I’ve mentioned in the past that Toviano has been a bit of an enigma and that’s not just for members of the media. Several college coaches I spoke with said they’ve had trouble consistently getting in contact and he’s proving to be a very tough read for personnel staffs around the country.

On the bright side, Texas put together the best possible performance they could in that setting. I asked a source at Texas about where they felt things were with Toviano, and they echoed the sentiment of other college coaches who indicated that he’s been very difficult to consistently get in contact with. Another source I spoke with who indicated some confidence on Toviano in the past threw his hands up when I asked this time. The bottom line is, nobody really knows what’s going on with him at the moment.

Javien Toviano (Photo: Mike Roach, 247Sports)

LSU seemed to be picking up some steam, but the Tigers have had some struggles on the field. Our best intel says Toviano will probably carry his decision out pretty late, so we’ll continue to track this one. In a way, it reminds me of the recruitment of Neto Umeozulu. The Texas offensive lineman was notoriously hard to reach and nobody seemed to have a read on where he was leaning. Perhaps it could turn out the same for the Longhorns who pulled off a stunner to land Umeozulu, but we will have to see as the cycle moves on.

JA’TAVION SANDERS HELPING CAUSE WITH DUCE ROBINSON
I checked in with a few sources regarding five-star tight end Duce Robinson. The elite pass-catcher was at Alabama over the weekend for an official visit to see the Crimson Tide top Texas A&M. The source I spoke with said that Texas remains alive in the recruitment. A large part of that is the way the Longhorns have used the tight end in the offense. Halfway through the season, Sanders has been able to haul in 25 receptions for 283 yards and 5 touchdowns.

(Photo: Ben Queen, USA TODAY Sports)
In his past two games, he’s gone over 70 yards both times with two touchdowns in each contest. One source I spoke with said that the Texas staff is using that as a big key in the recruitment for Robinson as we head into the final stretches of his recruitment. When I asked another source if the players were helping the cause to recruit Robinson, I was told, “That’s all Arch.”

The Texas quarterback commit is a key reason why Texas remains in the race for Robinson and has a chance to reel him in. The Longhorns were set to host Robinson for the Alabama game, but his game was re-scheduled for that Saturday. We expect he will be back in during the month of November or possibly after the season. At last check, it sounds like the TCU game on November 12 is the one to circle for Robinson’s visit.

TRACKING MOVEMENT WITH COLTON VASEK

Colton Vasek (Photo: Texas Athletics)

One of the big questions coming out of the weekend surrounded four-star Austin Westlake EDGE Colton Vasek. In the aftermath of the Texas-OU game, Vasek had some interesting social media activity following the contest liking several tweets where Texas players and commits were reaching out to him. As we reported when we broke the news that Vasek visited for the Texas game, the Longhorns hadn’t given in on the race for the local pass rusher. Though we’ve heard a little bit of buzz in the past 24 hours, a source I spoke with said there has been no contact between Vasek and the Texas staff since the game on Saturday. Ultimately, Vasek appears to know what he’s doing playing the social media game, and he was even liking a lot of pro-Texas tweets heading into the game. Before his commitment, we were told repeatedly that sources near Vasek felt he wanted to get away from Austin and outside of the state. We were also told that his parents had a preference for him to stay home. What does it all mean? Vasek was pretty stealthy in the lead-up to his original commitment to Oklahoma, and it’s possible he’s just having some fun on social media in the way we see recruits engage each and every year. Still, it’s something worth monitoring and if I were the staff I’d show up in force at Vasek’s game this Friday to keep the pressure on.

CAN LONGHORNS FLIP DEANDRE MOORE?
It feels like we’ve spent the last three weeks talking about Bellflower (Calif.) St. John Bosco wide receiver Deandre Moore. I checked with sources again this week regarding Moore and there remains confidence on the part of the Longhorns to land the explosive California receiver. A current Louisville commit, Moore has trips scheduled to Georgia and is still setting something up for Texas either late in the year or after the season. The Texas commits led by Johntay Cook have also been working on him. The message from the Texas staff and commits has been simple. Why wouldn’t you want to play in this type of offense? Throw in the emergence of Quinn Ewers and the incoming Arch Manning, and Texas is an appealing place for any skill player. Moore has been playing it coy reaffirming his commitment to Louisville many times, but the state of that program and the offensive possibilities at Texas provide fuel for that optimism.

THE LATEST WITH MALIK MUHAMMAD

(Photo: Texas Athletics)
COMMENTS

The four-star Texas commit took in the Texas-OU game on Saturday and came away impressed with the way the team played on both sides of the ball. Muhammad tweeted a few weeks ago that Texas A&M and Alabama would receive visits, but the Longhorns were able to make a strong statement in front of Muhammad on Saturday. I spoke to a source in Austin yesterday who feels that things are in a good place between Texas and Muhammad. I’m supposed to see him later this week and will talk to more people around him. Visits always present an opportunity for programs to flip a committed prospect, but it doesn’t appear that there’s much concern with Muhammad right now.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

I'm sure it's been discussed but, what's the deal with Vasek?  Legacy, from Austin, friends on the team, OU sucks, etc.  And, it's not as if he's picking a school for a specific reason like major or awesome defensive coach.

Maybe he's just a contrarian

2 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

I'm sure it's been discussed but, what's the deal with Vasek?  Legacy, from Austin, friends on the team, OU sucks, etc.  And, it's not as if he's picking a school for a specific reason like major or awesome defensive coach.

I haven't kept up with him specifically as of late, From what I remember, he basically wants to go against what his parents want.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

I think it's one of those things where a kid just wants to leave their hometown. Could be a phase but who knows.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

To be fair, Riley usually has pretty good production from his TE/FB position. This could just be a personnel issue. 

I'm really curious what our sets look like with Billingsley coming back this weekend. Do we see some 3 TE sets?

I definitely think this has something to do with it. His best receiving options at TE are 3-star RS freshman Lake McRee and some guy named Malcolm Epps. If he was still here, he'd be behind Sanders, Billingsley, Helm, Liebrock, and probably Davis. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, campcrunk said:

I definitely think this has something to do with it. His best receiving options at TE are 3-star RS freshman Lake McRee and some guy named Malcolm Epps. If he was still here, he'd be behind Sanders, Billingsley, Helm, Liebrock, and probably Davis. 

Mcree was a Texas commit at one point until we started recruiting over him, so USC has two TE cast offs from the Tom Herman era 

• Haha 3

20 minutes ago, campcrunk said:

I guess so, and playing as a freshman is enticing to many I suppose. But sanders is likely gone after next year if he continues his current trajectory, and liebrock and Davis have barely seen the field and could be attrition candidates at some point. Billingsley won’t be here that long either.

Sell him on redshirting one year like sanders, then dominating for 2 before heading to the NFL. 

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

I guess so, and playing as a freshman is enticing to many I suppose. But sanders is likely gone after next year if he continues his current trajectory, and liebrock and Davis have barely seen the field and could be attrition candidates at some point. Billingsley won’t be here that long either.

Sell him on redshirting one year like sanders, then dominating for 2 before heading to the NFL. 

I think USC is really pushing the Sushi angle as well as its proximity to Tijuana and Disneyland.

1 hour ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

My understanding is that he read all of the comments about him from @HenryJames on this thread and soured on Texas accordingly. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

SCOOP: Vasek, Hudson, more recruiting reactions, basketball news

Justin Wells•10 minutes

Article written by:Justin Wells

(Gerry Hamilton/On3)

Monday’s Scoop delivers the latest on Colton Vasek, Micah Hudson, more recruiting reactions, and hoops news.

Colton Vasek, EDGE, Austin (Texas) Westlake – OU commit 

There’s been plenty of scuttle surrounding the recruitment of Vasek, especially after witnessing the Sooners getting stomped by Texas on Saturday. 

Vasek maintains he’s solid to OU, but sources close to the 6-foot-5.5, 225-pound say he’s listening to the Texas recruiting pitch a little stronger lately. 

Former Westlake teammates and current Texas players Connor Robertson, Michael Taaffe, and Ethan Burke are certainly helpful in this recruitment. Don’t be surprised to see Vasek at another Texas home game over the next month. He’s already see Texas-Alabama in person and likely will attend more at DKR. 

Micah Hudson, WR, Lake Belton (Texas) – 2024

The recruiting story of the day on Saturday was the On3 No. 2 overall wide receiver for 2024. Hudson attended Texas-OU, and since the Sooners could host, came as a guest of Oklahoma. That didn’t last long. 

Hudson made his way over the the Texas side during the first half and never left. The Longhorns continue to make strides in this recruitment and Saturday was big in that department. 

The 6-foot, 185-pound four-star holds 20+ offers including Alabama, Ohio State, LSU, Oregon, and Tennessee. 

Hudson was looking at visiting Austin this weekend for the Texas-Iowa State game, but has homecoming and will be unable to make it. 

Jack Vandorselaer, TE, Southlake (Texas) Carroll – 2025

The 6-foot-4, 225-pound sophomore and Texas offer is having a strong season for Southlake Carroll and it’s 6-0 start. 

Texas offered Vandorselaer over the summer and have continued to connect with the budding prospect. The 2025 product holds offers from UT, Texas A&M, Baylor, Texas Tech, and Colorado. 

Vandorselaer likes what he sees from the Texas offense this season, and hopes to visit a game soon. He’s already made trips to Waco and College Station. 

More recruiting reactions continue to pour in since Texas’ 49-0 woodshed beating of Oklahoma Saturday. 

Sydir Mitchell, DL, Oradell (N.J.) Bergen Catholic – #AllGasNoBrakes

“Game was crazy!!! Good environment! Domination!” 

S’Maje Burrell, LB, Fort Worth (Texas) North Crowley – #AllGasNoBrakes

“No reaction. Texas did exactly what was expected. Quinn is HIM!” 

Gekyle Baker, WR, Brownsboro (Texas) High – 2024

“Texas blew OU out of the water!” 

Payton Pierce, LB, Lucas (Texas) Lovejoy – 2024 

“Well I think the score is self explanatory. It was a butt kicking for sure. I think Texas is trending up and Oklahoma is in the middle of change for sure.  I am definitely impressed with the Horns. Sark is a great play caller, and you can see that they are playing hard and together. I am looking forward to seeing how the season plays out.”

Andre Cojoe, IOL, Mansfield (Texas) Timberview –#AllGasNoBrakes

“It was great to see us win this year, especially with the blowout game. Me and my mother really enjoyed watching it!”

DJ Lagway, QB, Willis (Texas) High – 2024

“The atmosphere was absolutely amazing, and it was such a blessing to be apart of it.” 

Michael Hawkins Jr., QB, Allen (Texas) High – 2024

“My thoughts on the game; Quinn (Ewers) went out and showed a lot of people that he’s the leader of that team, and the whole entire Texas team was just on the same page! OU is struggling on the offensive side, mainly with not having a quarterback. Overall it was a great atmosphere to be around.” 

2023 Recruiting

Expect Texas to continue to exercise patience with the 2023 cycle. UT is big game hunting, and that requires patience. 

The staff isn’t interested in players unless they are all in on being part of the Texas program. That means some quality players will be turned down. That’s just reality. 

Texas continues to trend favorably for On3 Consensus 4-star defensive lineman Markis Deal (Garland, Texas/Naaman Forest). The Longhorns will receive the final official visit. That date won’t likely be set until Naaman Forest knows if they are in the playoffs or not, which is probable. That means mid-to-late November or early December is when the OV likely takes place. 

Texas is also still working to get defensive tackle Jordan Hall (Jacksonville, Fla./Westside) on campus. Georgia remains the favorite. This is one Texas will still battle on.

Members of the Texas staff continues to reach out to Texas A&M On3 Consensus 5-star commitments Anthony Hill (Denton, Texas/Ryan) and David Hicks (Katy, Texas/Paetow). And the communication continues with both. 

WHAT AINT NO COUNTRY I HEARD OF, THEY SPEAK ENGLISH IN WHAT? |  ENGLISH  MOTHER%^KER; DO YOU SPEAK IT? | image tagged in memes,say that again i dare you,pulp fiction - samuel l jackson,english  do you speak it | made w/ Imgflip meme maker

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

I noticed Billingsley is listed as a SR, does he have his COVID year or was he a one year rental 

Did he ever consider Horns?

9/19/22 at 9:17 am
up vote3down vote0
bkm1.png
quote:
Alabama added a big-time piece to its defensive line on Monday morning in Tyler (Texas) Tyler Legacy product Jordan Renaud. The Top100 prospect chose the Crimson Tide over Oklahoma, along with a lengthy list of others, in what’s another significant recruiting win in Texas.

LINK 

247 Profile

2 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Did he ever consider Horns?

9/19/22 at 9:17 am
up vote3down vote0
bkm1.png
quote:
Alabama added a big-time piece to its defensive line on Monday morning in Tyler (Texas) Tyler Legacy product Jordan Renaud. The Top100 prospect chose the Crimson Tide over Oklahoma, along with a lengthy list of others, in what’s another significant recruiting win in Texas.

LINK 

247 Profile

Eh, not really. Moved in from Florida and wanted to go back to the Southeast.

• Hook 'Em 2