Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

20 minutes ago, Jersey Man10 said:

Yeah he played one series and then Wright came in.

He played 3 snaps. All handoffs.

Then he was removed to applause... no?

It was a way of allowing him to get the recognition for carrying the flag with a bum ankle while Quinn was out. (He also held for the place kicks, but you don't get a round of applause for that.)

Card is gone after this season, but Sark wanted to show him some love.

• Hook 'Em 6

The Ewers - Manning “QB controversy” is regarded clickbait from national writers that don’t know shit about : Texas Football, Sark, Ewers or the Mannings. 

Arch redshirts. If healthy, Ewers is probably the first pick in the 2024 NFL Draft. It’s pretty damned simply and without drama. 

Card amicably leaving after the fall semester seems like a safe bet. I think he’s pretty limited against Power 5 defenses, but I think he could have success at a Group of 5 program. He seems like a pretty bright kid and won’t do some stupid shit like transferring to LSU or Auburn. 

Maalik could be one to watch after spring practice. Arch should be running the 2’s by then. If it’s pretty clear that Arch is Ewer’s backup, I don’t see much upside in him sticking around. Selfishly, I’d love to develop some depth at the position, but the kid should go where he’s going to play. He ran into two buzzsaws. There’s no shame in it. 

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, 1leggedduck said:

The OMG, Arch is going to transfer bullshit gets a little old and has always been stupid. It assumes that the Mannings are unfamiliar with this college football thing. I'm sure it is a huge surprise to the royal family of QBs that good programs sit their highly recruited QBs for at least a season so they can learn. I doubt either Ewers or Manning plan on spurning the NFL and sticking around for 4 years to get that diploma. This is how good programs do it. They don't have to rush freshman into full speed, college football when they aren't ready. Ewers starting next year will have zero effect on Arch Manning's plans. 

I also highly doubt that Card transfers. He has always wanted to play football for Texas. What I wonder is if he has enough receiver skills to move to another position. He's not going to play in the NFL at QB. I don't know if he wants to play in the NFL, but if he does, he needs to try another position. If I remember correctly, he was a WR until his SR. season, or maybe part way through his Jr. year. This is just my rambling stream of consciousness. I strongly doubt anything like this happens.

Malik is the mystery box. I don't hink he's QB2 unless he turns out to be a major stud, Card portals, or Card gets another job on the team. So if I had to guess, he'll be the transfer.

Card is going to be a surprisingly hot commodity in the portal this year and get paid doing it. He isn’t going to hang around here and play WR for his love of the program.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Also, who the fuck are you? I'm assuming a lurker who comes out of the shadows spouting stupid shit like "SO YOU WANT HIM TO GET INJURED??? YOU WANT HIM TO STRUGGLE???". Maybe not jumping to conclusions would suit you better. 

The only conclusion I jumped to was assuming you had the basic mental competency to understand that the only plausible scenarios that would result in Ewers returning for a third year involve either serious injury or showing fundamental flaws in development. He isn't going to ball out like a god and then say "nah fuck 30+ million guaranteed and my lifelong dream of playing in the NFL... I really want to play in that Michigan non-conference game!". So the ideal scenario for Ewers (and Texas for that matter) certainly does not involve him coming back for a third year. It involves him finally giving Texas another top 5 pick at QB in the draft and having a coach actually competent enough to have a replacement primed and ready to take over. 

Some of you still have a beggar's mentality with regards to players. I get it considering the last ~13 years but come the fuck on. You should want these kids to come here, play great and then gtfo to the NFL and make a ton of money. If you have the right guy running your program that isn't an issue as the next 'great' talent is just lining up behind them waiting for their turn.  

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, texifornia said:

He had a busted wrist from a scooter accident, and we all knew he was a huge project with a cannon who needs to rework his throwing motion. Wanting to see that kid play after a year of coaching while known-quantity mediocrity Card has fun working his way through the SMU sorority scene is pretty normal.

Agree completely. I have nothing against Card - and frankly, after seeing some other teams' backups, I do hope he stays next year, however unlikely that may be. But arm talent like Murphy's is pretty damn rare. There's a reason he started out as a 5 star and I would love to see what he can do with some solid coaching. Plus, everything I've read about him makes me think he's a great kid

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

The odds of Maalik Murphy ever taking a meaningful snap here went from 50% to 1% the moment Chip Brown said this summer that he was the alpha of the QB room.

why are you - or anyone else - paying any attention to a single word Chip Brown says?

• Hook 'Em 1

People keep saying Arch is going to redshirt but I fully expect him to burn a year of eligibility next year in a backup or mop-up capacity. Arch Manning is not a prospect that plans on being in college for 5 seasons, so there is zero value in protecting his redshirt. If we want him ready to be QB1 in 2024 they will find opportunities for him to see some live bullets throughout next year.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, BurntOrangeBlooded15 said:

This shit is dumb. 

The plan is and always has been 

Ewers - 2022-23, 2023-24

Arch - 2024-25 and beyond 

As for the rest, Card will transfer out after this year and play two years at Houston or SMU, Maalik will battle with Arch in 24-25 and leave if he loses. Need the 2025 QB to be a stud to continue this trend  

Pretty much this and I think even Arch and Maalik are aware of this.  2025 QB should be a stud.  The 2024 qb likely won't be or we at least took ourselves out of the race for Julian Sayles (sp?) because of Arch, per IT.

11 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Pretty much this and I think even Arch and Maalik are aware of this.  2025 QB should be a stud.  The 2024 qb likely won't be or we at least took ourselves out of the race for Julian Sayles (sp?) because of Arch, per IT.

QB room list from using 247 scholarship distribution:

image.png.4775f24e631ae8068d889094231ea78c.png

Card is probably gone elsewhere - which is fine, good luck to him and i hope he does very well elsewhere as a grad transfer.

not sure why Arch isn't on the list for them there. other recruits are? example:

Spoiler

image.png.92dea2cd4cd8d0d0aae7365921314981.png

1 minute ago, jeevsie said:

Where's Brenen Thompson on that list?

in what is a funny decision they have an "ATH" line as well further down, even though all 4 of the guys listed have permanent positions in 2022

image.png.0995347611c88222226376d774dc0fde.png

the whole way they have done this list is dumb.

247 recruiting list had Thompson as a WR, Brice as an Athlete and LTG as a Safety. Niblett a WR currently.

Brice and Thompson are WR. LTG is a Safety. Niblett is a WR and listed as that.

43 minutes ago, RichUT said:

People keep saying Arch is going to redshirt but I fully expect him to burn a year of eligibility next year in a backup or mop-up capacity. Arch Manning is not a prospect that plans on being in college for 5 seasons, so there is zero value in protecting his redshirt. If we want him ready to be QB1 in 2024 they will find opportunities for him to see some live bullets throughout next year.

I'm sure Arch will stay 5 years if need be. He isn't going to the NFL before he's fully ready. Not only will he/his family want to go 1st overall, but they will also want a good franchise if possible. If Arch goes to the NFL early and busts, they will lose more than he will gain by staying an extra year or two.

1 hour ago, RichUT said:

This is why they gave the four game rule without burning a redshirt. He doesn't need any more than that as a true freshman or something's wrong. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RichUT said:

Unless it's the family's decision. Be it a concern for his development, the ability to get injured, wanting him to get settled for a year, whatever. Manning is like Ewers. He's only going to need 2 years, or even one, to start before he goes pro if he's fucking as advertised. I don't think they care when that clock starts for real when the end date is the same regardless. 

2 minutes ago, TankedBevo said:

This is why they gave the four game rule without burning a redshirt. He doesn't need any more than that as a true freshman or something's wrong. 

Ding Ding Ding. I imagine he'll get 4 games, and if we're as good as we hope, some of that time might be extensive. If possible, I'd expect Sark to give half a quarter each to Manning and Murphy over the course of 8 games, if we can handle our fucking business. Big If. But Sark is no fool, he'll challenge Manning (and Murphy) the same way he "challenged" Ewers with Card and not naming a starter till late. Make them Earn it as best you can. Because lets not pretend Ewers wasnt showing out with this talent in practice since last Spring. 

• Hook 'Em 4

20 hours ago, NoName said:

Don't love the writer, but sharing it anyway

Wasserman: Is it possible that Arch Manning underestimated Quinn Ewers? Recruiting mailbag

This is the same jackwagon who made an impassioned defense of A&M's nonexistent NIL apparatus last cycle and called Texas fans "jealous" for making accusations. He's an idiot and an A&M apologist whose opinions have no bearing on reality.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, 1leggedduck said:

The OMG, Arch is going to transfer bullshit gets a little old and has always been stupid. It assumes that the Mannings are unfamiliar with this college football thing. I'm sure it is a huge surprise to the royal family of QBs that good programs sit their highly recruited QBs for at least a season so they can learn. I doubt either Ewers or Manning plan on spurning the NFL and sticking around for 4 years to get that diploma. This is how good programs do it. They don't have to rush freshman into full speed, college football when they aren't ready. Ewers starting next year will have zero effect on Arch Manning's plans. 

I also highly doubt that Card transfers. He has always wanted to play football for Texas. What I wonder is if he has enough receiver skills to move to another position. He's not going to play in the NFL at QB. I don't know if he wants to play in the NFL, but if he does, he needs to try another position. If I remember correctly, he was a WR until his SR. season, or maybe part way through his Jr. year. This is just my rambling stream of consciousness. I strongly doubt anything like this happens.

Malik is the mystery box. I don't hink he's QB2 unless he turns out to be a major stud, Card portals, or Card gets another job on the team. So if I had to guess, he'll be the transfer.

Card going the reverse Tannehill route.  

Probably a dumb question - but what happens if NIL $'s get to a point where they equal or surpass NFL #1 pick $'s?   I mean if Jimbo is worth $90m to ATM to win the 20xx NC...., is it that crazy to think some boosters would pony up $20m+ to keep an arch or quin in the mix for an extra year if they were playing lights out with a good chance for a NC?  I get that it's not the same as a 4 year NFL deal, but you'd think it would make the decision to leave tougher if the kid is loving the college experience.  How much would a NC be worth collectively to some of these big $ boosters?  In the 10's of millions I'd think, but I don't know these folks and I'm just speculating.    

57 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Unless it's the family's decision. Be it a concern for his development, the ability to get injured, wanting him to get settled for a year, whatever. Manning is like Ewers. He's only going to need 2 years, or even one, to start before he goes pro if he's fucking as advertised. I don't think they care when that clock starts for real when the end date is the same regardless. 

Ding Ding Ding. I imagine he'll get 4 games, and if we're as good as we hope, some of that time might be extensive. If possible, I'd expect Sark to give half a quarter each to Manning and Murphy over the course of 8 games, if we can handle our fucking business. Big If. But Sark is no fool, he'll challenge Manning (and Murphy) the same way he "challenged" Ewers with Card and not naming a starter till late. Make them Earn it as best you can. Because lets not pretend Ewers wasnt showing out with this talent in practice since last Spring. 

I agree with @RichUT. I don't really think a redshirt year matters and I doubt anyone around him and the staff will care. He's on campus through 2025 if he's as good as advertised and maybe 2026 if he's less so.

7 minutes ago, blutow said:

Probably a dumb question - but what happens if NIL $'s get to a point where they equal or surpass NFL #1 pick $'s?   I mean if Jimbo is worth $90m to ATM to win the 20xx NC...., is it that crazy to think some boosters would pony up $20m+ to keep an arch or quin in the mix for an extra year if they were playing lights out with a good chance for a NC?  I get that it's not the same as a 4 year NFL deal, but you'd think it would make the decision to leave tougher if the kid is loving the college experience.  How much would a NC be worth collectively to some of these big $ boosters?  In the 10's of millions I'd think, but I don't know these folks and I'm just speculating.    

At some point, resources get exhausted ahead of that for almost every school. Donor fatigue is a real thing. The NFL money has the benefit of being attached to a P&L for teams and an actual, measurable ROI. 

• Hook 'Em 4

6 minutes ago, blutow said:

Just as an example - Justin Fields was the 11th pick in his draft and signed a 4yr 18.8 million (guaranteed) dollar deal.

Given that Quinn Ewers is reportedly close to having signed ~4 million dollars worth of NIL deals it doesn't seem that outrageous to think that eventually - for a very small group of players - NIL money might approach NFL money (for a year or two).  I just think the group that it effects will be so small that its insignificant.

However - I think CTJ has posted before that there was at least one player who declared early that would have been financially better off if they had stayed at Texas where they would have been contributors this season rather than going to the NFL as an UDFA. 

1 minute ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Just as an example - Justin Fields was the 11th pick in his draft and signed a 4yr 18.8 million (guaranteed) dollar deal.

Given that Quinn Ewers is reportedly close to having signed ~4 million dollars worth of NIL deals it doesn't seem that outrageous to think that eventually - for a very small group of players - NIL money might approach NFL money (for a year or two).  I just think the group that it effects will be so small that its insignificant.

However - I think CTJ has posted before that there was at least one player who declared early that would have been financially better off if they had stayed at Texas where they would have been contributors this season rather than going to the NFL as an UDFA

It was Dicker, who got a 1 week contract with the Eagles this week and beat Kyler Murray.

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

At some point, resources get exhausted ahead of that for almost every school. Donor fatigue is a real thing. The NFL money has the benefit of being attached to a P&L for teams and an actual, measurable ROI. 

Yeah, I get that it wouldn't be a "normal" thing, but maybe for unique situations.  Let's say ARch takes us to the NC game as a junior (after dominating all year) and gets hurt in the first quarter and we lose a close one.  Right or wrong, many would think a NC would be very high probability the next year with Arch and big $ would likely flow if it would make a difference in keeping him another year.  

37 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

I'm not a Wasserman apologist, but to my knowledge that article is him answering a readers question. The reader is the jack wagon, and Wasserman responded with "you're dumb if you think this hasn't been talked about extensively by all involved parties."

Nah, Wasserman is a jackwagon.

• Hook 'Em 2

25 minutes ago, blutow said:

CTJ et al know a shitload more about this than I do, but I can't help but wondering what it would have been worth to Texas for Vince to come back for his senior year, in 2006. Had the NIL era existed then, what would a second national championship have been worth?

8 minutes ago, blutow said:

Yeah, I get that it wouldn't be a "normal" thing, but maybe for unique situations.  Let's say ARch takes us to the NC game as a junior (after dominating all year) and gets hurt in the first quarter and we lose a close one.  Right or wrong, many would think a NC would be very high probability the next year with Arch and big $ would likely flow if it would make a difference in keeping him another year.  

Let's think about it differently - Texas isn't the program batshit crazy enough to do something like that. There are plenty around us that are, no doubt. 

That considered, does corporate NIL do enough lifting down the line for something like that? Maybe. 

I think the bigger issue is a player feeling like they have anything left to prove. If they're going to be a high draft pick and have done everything but win the big one, I have a hard time seeing them returning. A Tommie Frazier/Colt Brennan/Jason White type? Sure, that I can see.

• Hook 'Em 2

19 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

However - I think CTJ has posted before that there was at least one player who declared early that would have been financially better off if they had stayed at Texas where they would have been contributors this season rather than going to the NFL as an UDFA. 

You're leaving NFL signing bonuses out of that equation.

5 minutes ago, SimkinsMan said:

CTJ et al know a shitload more about this than I do, but I can't help but wondering what it would have been worth to Texas for Vince to come back for his senior year, in 2006. Had the NIL era existed then, what would a second national championship have been worth?

Vince would also be staring in all those Heisman commercials.

• Rage+1 3

5 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Whether or not manning red shirts in 2023 is inconsequential to me. The expectation is that ewers is off to the nfl after 23 and arch is the expected starter for 24 and 25, after being the backup in 23 while learning the system. 

Mannings camp is on record as saying they want him to redshirt in 23, hence my Malik comment for QB2 next season. Once they open spring and fall camp in 24 we all know how this goes. 

23 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

21 minutes ago, texifornia said:

ou-texas.gif

20 minutes ago, blutow said:

If this scenarior happens that means Arch is likely a top 5 selection in the NFL draft. No amount of booster wrangled money is going to match that signing bonus + contract.

image.png.653dab530c642d076ab9beba67c5dca7.png

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, SimkinsMan said:

The contacts back then for rookies are way different than they are now. Considering that it would be even less likely than now:

image.png.e27af25f32d332d8a84c75353265f6cd.png

Texas Longhorns Wednesday Recruiting Intel

Gerry Hamilton•about 1 hour

Article written by:Gerry Hamilton

GHamilton_On3

Duce Robinson is the No. 1 tight end in the country, according to the On3 Consensus. (Chad Simmons/On3)

The Texas Longhorns football program is working with the most positive momentum it has had on the trail in many years with the quarterback room seemingly set for years to come, and a fun and exciting brand of offensive football that shined through in the 49-0 win over Oklahoma.

The Texas continues to target a number of positions in the 2023 cycle at the high school ranks, and that includes a 5-star on the West Coast.

Inside Texas provides the latest intel to get your Wednesday started.

Duce Robinson and Texas

On3’s Chad Simmons checked in with the circle of On3 Consensus 5-star tight end Duce Robinson Tuesday evening. USC and Georgia continue to have the most buzz for the 6-foot-6, 230-pound mismatch receiving threat. With that said, a person very close to Robinson told Simmons that he is looking to make official visits to Texas and Oregon in November. Texas tight ends coach Jeff Banks continues to recruit Robinson like he is a priority target, as does Steve Sarkisian. On3 Consensus No. 1 overall and Texas commitment Arch Manning is also part of the recruiting process for the Longhorns.

Key weekend visit addition likely

Robinson isn’t the only tight end Texas is recruiting down the stretch in the 2023 cycle. Vanderbilt verbal Ka’Morreun Pimpton continues to be in communication with the Texas staff. In fact, Texas is working to get the 6-foot-6, 225-pound walking mismatch on campus this weekend. As of Tuesday night, that visit for the Iowa State game was looking likely. Several members of the Longhorn staff has been in contact with the North Crowley staff this week leaving no doubt that the Texas interest in Pimpton is real.

Pimpton is one of the fastest rising 2023 prospects in Texas with his senior move to North Crowley. He has offers since September 1 from Utah, Washington, Houston, LSU and Auburn. Ohio State is coming by the school this week to take a closer look as well.

Colton Vasek and Texas

Oklahoma verbal Colton Vasek and Texas continue to have communication. And Vasek’s former Westlake teammates, plus Arch Manning and others, continue to try and help the cause. One of the main questions Texas fans have pondered about Vasek is whether he would attend the Iowa State game Saturday. Inside Texas spoke with a source very close to the recruitment Tuesday, and a visit is not currently expected. The reason is Westlake has team activities Saturday morning, and Vasek missed those last week to attend the Red River beatdown. Inside Texas will check in again later this week to see if there is a chance Vasek makes the 10 minute drive to campus Saturday.

Texas isn’t the only school still pursuing Vasek. The Oregon Ducks haven’t walked away either. That’s not in the recruiting DNA of Tosh Lupoi

• Hook 'Em 3

34 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I agree with @RichUT. I don't really think a redshirt year matters and I doubt anyone around him and the staff will care. He's on campus through 2025 if he's as good as advertised and maybe 2026 if he's less so.

You need to re-read my post. I said "if it was the family's decision." Then my last sentence in response to him was "I don't think anyone cares when the clock starts if the end date is the same regardless." Basically, we're saying the same thing. 

I don't know what Arch will do.  I do know the Mannings are very aware of Brand and Legacy.  Both Eli and Peyton could have left after their Jr Years and probably been number 1 picks but chose to stay 4 years in College.  A college player, especially at a blue blood like UT, undoubtedly has a bigger brand and legacy if they stay all 4 years then if they leave after 3.  Whether or not that difference in legacy/brand between 3 years and 4 years is worth it to the Mannings I have no idea.

But without a doubt Vince's legacy would have been way bigger if he had come back his Sr. year and won the heisman and a 2nd title, who knows he might have gotten drafter by a better team also.  Arch certainly doesn't have the financial need to get to the NFL as soon as possible and playing the QB position, he shouldn't have the usage concern before he gets to the league that say a RB has.  

Again, no idea what Arch and them will do.  I can say if I was sitting on the financial position the Mannings enjoy and you told me I could spend another year at UT or go to the NFL......I'd stick around another year in Austin.

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

When you fantasize about Arch fucking, how do you think he does it, Sydney? You think he likes it rough? Or do you think he takes his time and fucks gently? Puts on some Marvin Gaye and all that?

Edited by irishtexan

11 minutes ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

It's also about starting the clock for their second NFL contract, that's where the real money is. So delaying 50-60 mil a year is not going to become a thing. 

This is the main point people miss in these discussions, for NFL players it's all about landing that 2nd contract.

the goal in the NFL is to get to your second contract as soon as you can, as young as you can so that you are good enough to get the third contract.

guys who are 1st round picks generally aren't coming back.

i think guys like CTJ mentioned above (Jason White, Colt Brennan) and more system style QBs (think Graham Harrell, Eric Crouch) plus even guys who get not great draft grades like Sam could come back for their final year if NIL $$$ is there.

it's a hard sell for QBs, but i think it's much easier for most other positions.

Edited by NoName

12 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Texas Longhorns Wednesday Recruiting Intel

Gerry Hamilton•about 1 hour

Article written by:Gerry Hamilton

GHamilton_On3

Duce Robinson is the No. 1 tight end in the country, according to the On3 Consensus. (Chad Simmons/On3)

The Texas Longhorns football program is working with the most positive momentum it has had on the trail in many years with the quarterback room seemingly set for years to come, and a fun and exciting brand of offensive football that shined through in the 49-0 win over Oklahoma.

The Texas continues to target a number of positions in the 2023 cycle at the high school ranks, and that includes a 5-star on the West Coast.

Inside Texas provides the latest intel to get your Wednesday started.

Duce Robinson and Texas

On3’s Chad Simmons checked in with the circle of On3 Consensus 5-star tight end Duce Robinson Tuesday evening. USC and Georgia continue to have the most buzz for the 6-foot-6, 230-pound mismatch receiving threat. With that said, a person very close to Robinson told Simmons that he is looking to make official visits to Texas and Oregon in November. Texas tight ends coach Jeff Banks continues to recruit Robinson like he is a priority target, as does Steve Sarkisian. On3 Consensus No. 1 overall and Texas commitment Arch Manning is also part of the recruiting process for the Longhorns.

Key weekend visit addition likely

Robinson isn’t the only tight end Texas is recruiting down the stretch in the 2023 cycle. Vanderbilt verbal Ka’Morreun Pimpton continues to be in communication with the Texas staff. In fact, Texas is working to get the 6-foot-6, 225-pound walking mismatch on campus this weekend. As of Tuesday night, that visit for the Iowa State game was looking likely. Several members of the Longhorn staff has been in contact with the North Crowley staff this week leaving no doubt that the Texas interest in Pimpton is real.

Pimpton is one of the fastest rising 2023 prospects in Texas with his senior move to North Crowley. He has offers since September 1 from Utah, Washington, Houston, LSU and Auburn. Ohio State is coming by the school this week to take a closer look as well.

Colton Vasek and Texas

Oklahoma verbal Colton Vasek and Texas continue to have communication. And Vasek’s former Westlake teammates, plus Arch Manning and others, continue to try and help the cause. One of the main questions Texas fans have pondered about Vasek is whether he would attend the Iowa State game Saturday. Inside Texas spoke with a source very close to the recruitment Tuesday, and a visit is not currently expected. The reason is Westlake has team activities Saturday morning, and Vasek missed those last week to attend the Red River beatdown. Inside Texas will check in again later this week to see if there is a chance Vasek makes the 10 minute drive to campus Saturday.

Texas isn’t the only school still pursuing Vasek. The Oregon Ducks haven’t walked away either. That’s not in the recruiting DNA of Tosh Lupoi

Pimpton seems like a really nice late eval. Hopefully having him on campus with arch and cook this weekend catapults us to the top of his list.

Edited by BornAndRaised
I'm dumb

8 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

Pimpton seems like a really nice late eval. Hopefully having him on campus with arch and cook this weekend catapults us to the top of his list.

Pimpton feels slightly Epps-y to me. The way he moves and run routes reminds me a lot of him. Not sure how much I love the eval, but I trust Jeff Banks to develop him a hell of a lot better than Herman did. 

Edited by Vertigo

15 minutes ago, SimkinsMan said:

what would a second national championship have been worth

A lot, but not nearly as much as another one in the next few years after a 20 year drought.  I assume a lot of the big $ folks are not spring chickens.  How much would it be worth to see TX win another before you die?  Probably some egos in play to motivate them to be "part of the solution" for bringing home another NC (legacy and all the crap).  I'm not saying these extreme situations are likely with a Quin or Arch, but at some point all you need to do is sell some boosters on a story of hope.  They are just like most of us, they want to believe.  And they actually have the power to affect the outcome and essentially become partial team owners/GM's with the purse strings and no salary cap.  No need to justify a profit, all decisions based on emotion and hope.  What would you spend to cure your child laying in the hospital with cancer?  Extreme analogy, but that's been TX football for a long time for some folks.  I fully expect NIL to get regulated at some point to prevent this kind of dynamic, but I'm not sure how they do that based on the way it's currently structured.