Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

Hudson Standish (Horns 247), on Vasek.

Spoiler

— One last note, the source who I quoted and referenced around a dozen times over the offseason speculating Colton Vasek's recruitment would follow the same trajectory as Kelvin Banks (Early Texas surge, OOS commitment, eventual flip) hit me up after the 49-0 result on Saturday and as you can imagine was patting himself on the back. There is still a ton of work to do for the Longhorns and this won't be an easy pursuit to pull off, but confidence has increased regarding the Horns' chances of keeping the local blue-chip EDGE home. I should have more detailed notes on Vasek later in the week.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, RabidM said:

Vasek's first 4 games HUDL.  He has a seriously good first step.  His frame does not look maxed out.  I'm digging his senior film so far. 

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/13171163/6333c683bee111095c5ae560 

Same. Anybody who says they don't/care  want him are dumb af. That kid will be a difference maker at the next level 

• Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, OB3 said:

Pretty sure this has been answered before, but what’s up with Peyton Bowen? He’s settled on the 3 most disappointing teams so far this season, and has never even looked at Texas. 

He's just one of those guys that doesn't feel Texas. It sucks. But it is what it is.

12 minutes ago, Hmbre97 said:

Wtf does eyes-ice cream cone-train mean?

I'm turning into the 'old man yells at cloud' with all of these stupid fucking cryptic emoji Twitter messages

Calm down.  It's just the twitter way of saying 🦑🌻🍆🐍💩🎉🍺🥶

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Rage+1 1

34 minutes ago, OB3 said:

Pretty sure this has been answered before, but what’s up with Peyton Bowen? He’s settled on the 3 most disappointing teams so far this season, and has never even looked at Texas. 

Apparently felt disrespected he didn't get enough love on a visit so he left the visit early and never looked back.

• Haha 1

Don't love the writer, but sharing it anyway

Wasserman: Is it possible that Arch Manning underestimated Quinn Ewers? Recruiting mailbag

Newsflash: Ewers can play. And it shouldn’t be a surprise. Yes, recruiting rankings can be hit or miss as it pertains to individual talents, but you don’t become the No. 1 overall player in the country by accident. Think about how many analysts broke down Ewers’ film and saw him in camps and still kept him as the No. 1 player. He’s got a great arm and immense natural ability.

So no, I don’t think it’s possible that Manning and his family underestimated how good Ewers could be.

and

This could actually be setting up quite nicely for Manning. Imagine if Ewers becomes one of the best quarterbacks in college football. He starts this year and next year — Manning’s true freshman season — and then bolts to the NFL. While Ewers is the starter, Texas makes big steps forward as a program. When Ewers goes to the NFL, it will be Manning, in his second season on campus, who is in position to get Texas over the hump. That’s a pretty nice little plan for the prince of the first family of football.

Text:

Spoiler

Is it possible that Arch Manning underestimated Quinn Ewers? Recruiting mailbag

Is it possible that Arch Manning underestimated how good Quinn Ewers is when he decided to commit to Texas? — David F.

There were probably a few too many Tate Martell jokes about Ewers when he left Ohio State, weren’t there?

Though those jokes were aimed more toward personal temperament than Ewers’ ability, there did seem to be an assumption from some that he was going to be overrated. That was exacerbated when Manning committed to Texas. Jokes of a second Ewers transfer were immediately in play, especially once he was in a “quarterback battle” with Hudson Card during the preseason.

Newsflash: Ewers can play. And it shouldn’t be a surprise. Yes, recruiting rankings can be hit or miss as it pertains to individual talents, but you don’t become the No. 1 overall player in the country by accident. Think about how many analysts broke down Ewers’ film and saw him in camps and still kept him as the No. 1 player. He’s got a great arm and immense natural ability.

So no, I don’t think it’s possible that Manning and his family underestimated how good Ewers could be.

Think about how many seasoned football minds were involved with Manning’s recruitment. Ponder how much time and energy all of those minds put into Manning’s atypical recruitment. Consider how deeply he looked at each and every one of the programs he was considering. It would be utterly ridiculous if he issued a commitment to Texas after all of that time and research, and then realized in October that Ewers is good without having ever considered it previously.

Recruiting is about drama. Still, I couldn’t fathom what would occur if Manning started taking other visits and wavering. It would be pandemonium. But it’s not happening. One, because he did his due diligence before committing to Texas. And two, no matter where he picks, he’s going to have to face some tough competition. It’s not like Brock Vandagriff isn’t waiting in the wings at Georgia. It’s not like Ty Simpson isn’t on Alabama’s roster waiting behind Bryce Young (or that Alabama doesn’t already have two top-100 QBs committed in its class).

There’s a general assumption that Manning wants to start his true freshman season. We’ve been conditioned to think all five-star quarterbacks have that expectation because we’re in an era of the sport where top talent has that expectation. But maybe Manning is different? The way he carried out his recruitment — while making his vast NIL worth a secondary issue — is proof that he doesn’t think like everyone else. What if he’s totally fine going to school, learning behind a really good starter, developing and taking the field two years into his college tenure?

This could actually be setting up quite nicely for Manning. Imagine if Ewers becomes one of the best quarterbacks in college football. He starts this year and next year — Manning’s true freshman season — and then bolts to the NFL. While Ewers is the starter, Texas makes big steps forward as a program. When Ewers goes to the NFL, it will be Manning, in his second season on campus, who is in position to get Texas over the hump. That’s a pretty nice little plan for the prince of the first family of football.

This is, after all, recruiting. Nothing — and I mean nothing — would shock me. But I just don’t think there is any drama setting up here, and in fact, I think we should give the Mannings the benefit of the doubt as it pertains to their plan. It actually seems to be working out quite nicely for them.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

And ironically he gets officially offered.

He's at the same school as Kobie Black and where Tre Wisner used to be. 

http://www.hudl.com/v/2J7sMy

15 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

And ironically he gets officially offered.

He's at the same school as Kobie Black and where Tre Wisner used to be. 

http://www.hudl.com/v/2J7sMy

23 hours ago, closetojumping said:

If we think about this in terms of attrition after this season, here's what I see/think:

-The 5 "seniors" are truly gone. 

-Of the "juniors", I assume the majority are gone as well. Let's say Keilan Robinson and Christian Jones stay for one more season. That's 11 scholarship players leaving.

-The "sophomores" will have several kinds of attrition: 1) NFL - BRobinson, Whittington, and Collins. 2) Transfer for PT - Card (GT), Liebrock, a safety. So 6 in all.

-Worthy and Sanders cannot go pro.

-Attrition candidates due to PT (trapdooring also) in the freshman ranks - Wright, Omeire, Hall (watching this guy up close on Saturday and the fact that he didn't get into the game, no way he's back), Alexis, Goram-Welch, Parr, Merril, Harris Jr., Pearson, Ibraheem, Turner-Gooden.

-Garth is already gone.

That's easily 25 spots for the next class and, frankly, I expect 30-35 to open up. They'll move the floor higher with the new class and transfers than what the 2021 guys helped provide, which is where a lot of attrition will come from that isn't eligibility, NFL, or GT. 

In short, nobody should be worrying about the fucking numbers. We'll sign 25-30 guys and add 5-7 transfer of high value. 

This also presumes sufficient funding in NIL to both retain talent and attract talent in the portal.

Also also, for anyone not paying attention and for those who whined at me a few weeks ago about me saying that the WR room is going to need help from both the transfer portal and the recruiting class, yeah, they're going to need 5 guys and to also pay XW another big deal. We really, really need Neyor to get healthy and stay at Texas for 2023. I was glad to see him at the game on Saturday, but that one is shaky right up until fall 2023 practice.

You're forgetting that Hall would have to sit out a year if transferred before graduating, so he could be back next season regardless.

Just now, RGBIII said:

Only a 9.95er can make a miserable tenure more miserable

You remember him actively trying to get Strong extended?  He would write his small write ups/articles, insisting that the class could be even better if the Admin backed Strong with an extension.. This was after his two shitastic seasons heading into his 3rd and ultimately last season as the HC of TEXAS.

40 minutes ago, TheMailBox357 said:

You're forgetting that Hall would have to sit out a year if transferred before graduating, so he could be back next season regardless.

I don't think there's going to be any enforcement of the one year sit out penalty for a 2nd transfer. We'll see, I guess. It's going to be tested by like 100 guys this offseason across the country.

21 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Who was that piece of shit that used to just send vague ass numbers that we spent actual time out of our lives to decode

Speak for yourself, sir. If it looks like that much outright bullshit, it 100% of the time is. I saw one of those from that rube and never pondered another thing he wrote but to mock them in entirety. He was a complete huckster and shill for Strong. 

• Hook 'Em 1