Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

4 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Man this staff needs to be begging Vasek to commit. Give him $500k in NIL, Aston Martin, whatever it takes. We need pass rushers in the worst way. These JAGs they're rolling out there are not cutting it.Ā 

While I agree, I also don't think enough is being said about Billy Walton. Dude looks incredible so far in his senior year.

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

Rushing the passer ainā€™t easy, and itā€™s not just the Jimmys and the Joes. With a good OL and scheme, you can nullify a really good pass rush. See Hookerā€™s game long clean pocket against Bama.

That said, Sorrell maybe Overshown are the only guys off the edge that worry opposing defenses. Ford has been nails on the interior blitzes.Ā 
Ā 

I think they can address the personnel during the bye. Probably not enough time to fix it before Okie State.Ā 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 6th Street said:

Man this staff needs to be begging Vasek to commit. Give him $500k in NIL, Aston Martin, whatever it takes. We need pass rushers in the worst way. These JAGs they're rolling out there are not cutting it.Ā 

I think itā€™s the scheme. They are collapsing the pocket. Not rushing the passer IMO

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Texasborn91 said:

I think itā€™s the scheme. They are collapsing the pocket. Not rushing the passer IMO

What the fuck does this even mean? We donā€™t even have a twitchy edge guy ready to play that can also hold up against the run. DMo was the short term answer to that, but Tuck isnā€™t nearly good enough to free him up to play that role more often.Ā 

Edited by Atticus
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Texasborn91 said:

To add on to this, I haven't seen anybody talk about ISU's heavy use of rollouts. Our best penetration comes from the interior. Get your QB on a designed rollout then suddenly those 340lb DTs have to get through the lineman and then chase the QB down. Plus rollouts are a really natural pairing with bunch formations. I thought their offensive gameplan was really smart.Ā At least it gives our defense a couple clear things to clean up.Ā 

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

To add on to this, I haven't seen anybody talk about ISU's heavy use of rollouts. Our best penetration comes from the interior. Get your QB on a designed rollout then suddenly those 340lb DTs have to get through the lineman and then chase the QB down. Plus rollouts are a really natural pairing with bunch formations. I thought their offensive gameplan was really smart.Ā At least it gives our defense a couple clear things to clean up.Ā 

Itā€™s true.Ā 

Little guys like toĀ rollout.

Ā 

• Hook 'Em 1

39 minutes ago, Coach pop a bitch said:

What happened to burke? Haven't seen him playing much. Thought he was showing promise. We may have an edge on campus but they are all freshmen.Ā Ā 

Burke is going to become a 6ā€™7ā€ 280lb bigger better Aidan Hutchinson and go 1-1 in the 2026 draft.Ā 

54 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

This can't be true. I was told that not taking a bunch of OL from the portal was a yuge mistake and that playing a true freshmen on the OL was going to be a Hindenburg-level disaster.

Go look up Cole Hutsonā€™s grades this year and then report back on whether we couldā€™ve used a transfer, smart guy.Ā 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Go look up Cole Hutsonā€™s grades this year and then report back on whether we couldā€™ve used a transfer, smart guy.Ā 

Hutson is starting because Angilau got hurt. If they decided to move Angilau to C and start Hutson, then they would have likely switched back to Majors at this point. No quality OL was gonna transfer here to be a backup.

• Hook 'Em 5

8 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Hutson is starting because Angilau got hurt. If they decided to move Angilau to C and start Hutson, then they would have likely switched back to Majors at this point. No quality OL was gonna transfer here to be a backup.

This is also bullshit. We were planning to start Conner and Majors. There were guys in the portal who could start over them.Ā 

• Hook 'Em 1

Seems fairly decent to me...

Pass blocking grades vs ISU

Kelvin Banks Jr. (LT): 88.0
Cole Hutson (RG): 85.7
Jake Majors (C): 83.3
Bijan Robinson (RB): 76.6
Roschon Johnson (RB): 76.4

Pass blocking grades vs WVU
Roschon Johnson (RB): 78.3
Cole Hutson (RG): 74.4
Jake Majors (C): 74.3
Hayden Conner (LG): 71.4
Gunnar Helm (TE): 70.7
Ā 

Pass blocking grades vs Alabama
Christian Jones (RT): 77.6
Cole Hutson (RG): 77.2
Kelvin Banks (LT): 76.8
Jaā€™Tavion Sanders (TE): 74.8
Gunnar Helm (TE): 68.6

Edited by Hornlover
  • Hook 'Em 5

5 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

Seems fairly decent to me...

Pass blocking grades vs ISU

Kelvin Banks Jr. (LT): 88.0
Cole Hutson (RG): 85.7
Jake Majors (C): 83.3
Bijan Robinson (RB): 76.6
Roschon Johnson (RB): 76.4

Pass blocking grades vs WVU
Roschon Johnson (RB): 78.3
Cole Hutson (RG): 74.4
Jake Majors (C): 74.3
Hayden Conner (LG): 71.4
Gunnar Helm (TE): 70.7
Ā 

Pass blocking grades vs Alabama
Christian Jones (RT): 77.6
Cole Hutson (RG): 77.2
Kelvin Banks (LT): 76.8
Jaā€™Tavion Sanders (TE): 74.8
Gunnar Helm (TE): 68.6

Now do run grades or overall grades on the season.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Now do run grades or overall grades on the season.

I don't have a PFF subscription. But if you want to report back with all of the portal transfer Olinemen with a higher PFF grade than Cole Hutson, then go for it.

Otherwise, I'll just assume he's been better than any of the scrubs that were in the portal.

• Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

No worries. I don't think Stewart comes here because of the shit he pulled during recruiting. He's also a head caseĀ 

Thanks. The Surly mods said as much. Mims would look really good in a Texas uniform, but I haven't heard or seen a peep about recripocal interest.Ā 

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Getafix said:

!!!

Latest on 5-star TE Duce Robinson

Blair Angulo

Ā 

Texas now has another date locked in with the dynamic two-sport star from Phoenix (Ariz.) Pinnacle.

ā€œIā€™ll be at Texas for the TCU game on Nov. 12,ā€ Robinson told 247Sports.Ā 

Ā 

Also, re: OregonĀ šŸ˜‚Ā šŸ˜‚Ā šŸ˜‚Ā 

Coach Drew Mehringer is one of the best in the country, so Iā€™m super excited to get up there next month.

Ā 

Ā  Reveal hidden contents

Ā 

Blair Angulo
Ā 

With only two official visits remaining and the Early Signing Period a mere two months away, the finish line is in sight for Duce Robinson.

The nationā€™s No. 1 rated tight end has taken trips to USC, Georgia and Alabama and has Texas and Oregon left on the itinerary. The Longhorns were due to draw an official last month but bad weather the night prior to his flight to Austin pushed back his own game to Saturday and the trip was canceled.

Texas now has another date locked in with the dynamic two-sport star from Phoenix (Ariz.) Pinnacle.

ā€œIā€™ll be at Texas for the TCU game on Nov. 12,ā€ Robinson told 247Sports. ā€œIā€™m really excited to see what the environment there is like and get a chance to talk to the other recruits that make it and the players they have on the team already. Iā€™ve taken an unofficial there already and I think I have a great feel for the facilities, the campus and what itā€™s like there, but Iā€™m excited to build relationships with all the guys. Itā€™s been fun to watch their offense and the way they have been using Jaā€™Tavion Sanders. Heā€™s a playmaker in their offense and theyā€™ve been using him as a weapon, so thatā€™s been super cool to see.ā€

Robinson is the nationā€™s No. 19 overall prospect and No. 1 among tight ends in the 2023 class, per the industry-generated 247Sports Composite rankings. He has amassed well over double-digit scholarship offers in both football and baseball.

The Ducks, meanwhile, are likely to get the final official visit. The 6-foot-6, 225-pound Robinson drew the presence of Ducks staffers earlier this month when Oregon played down the highway in Tucson and heā€™s excited to get back up to Eugene.

ā€œIā€™ve been to a game at Autzen before, I believe it was my freshman year for the rivalry against Oregon State, so I have a good idea of what itā€™s like there on a big gameday,ā€ Robinson said. ā€œWe donā€™t have a date yet but if we go during season, itā€™s likely that weekend they play Utah.ā€

Robinson, who has drawn comparisons to Aaron Judge for his build and power, intends to play both sports at the next level and has gotten considerable buzz this year for his exploits at several off-season showcase events. Robinson's father, Dominic, played receiver at Florida State in the early 2000s and was also drafted in baseball.

ā€œOregon was one of my first baseball offers back in like eighth grade or freshman year, so Iā€™ve been building a relationship with them for a while,ā€ Robinson said. ā€œOn the football side coach Kenny Dilingham is a great dude. He is from Arizona, grew up here and knows the state super well, and coach Dan Lanning is great, too. We first connected back when he was at Georgia and it was impressive what he did at Georgia and how heā€™s transferring that over to Oregon. Coach Drew Mehringer is one of the best in the country, so Iā€™m super excited to get up there next month.ā€

Through six games as a senior this season Robinson had been credited with 30 receptions for 615 yards and eight touchdowns.

Stay tuned to 247Sports for breaking news, insight and analysis as prospects across all classes continue to sort through their top contenders all season long.

Ā 

Ā 

Lol Drew Mehringer. He's the Oregon TE coach. Look at this quote from his Oregon bio. Amazing.

Drew Mehringer joined Dan Lanningā€™s inaugural coaching staff at Oregon as the tight ends coach on January 4, 2022. He is known as one of the nationā€™s top recruiters after helping Texas and Houston bring in the top classes in their conferences.

Ā 

ā€œDrew is one of the top young offensive minds in college football with an impressive history coaching multiple different positions,ā€ Lanning said at the time of the hiring. ā€œHe was once the youngest play caller in the Power 5, and that experience will be very beneficial as we develop our offense. Our student-athletes are going to love working with Coach Mehringer and will learn a ton from him both as football players and as young men."

• Haha 9

7 minutes ago, Getafix said:

!!!

Blair Angulo

Ā 

ā€œIā€™ll be at Texas for the TCU game on Nov. 12,ā€ Robinson told 247Sports.Ā 

Ā 

Also, re: OregonĀ šŸ˜‚Ā šŸ˜‚Ā šŸ˜‚Ā 

Coach Drew Mehringer is one of the best in the country, so Iā€™m super excited to get up there next month.

Ā 

Ā  Hide contents

Ā 

Blair Angulo
Ā 

With only two official visits remaining and the Early Signing Period a mere two months away, the finish line is in sight for Duce Robinson.

The nationā€™s No. 1 rated tight end has taken trips to USC, Georgia and Alabama and has Texas and Oregon left on the itinerary. The Longhorns were due to draw an official last month but bad weather the night prior to his flight to Austin pushed back his own game to Saturday and the trip was canceled.

ā€œIā€™ll be at Texas for the TCU game on Nov. 12,ā€ Robinson told 247Sports. ā€œIā€™m really excited to see what the environment there is like and get a chance to talk to the other recruits that make it and the players they have on the team already. Iā€™ve taken an unofficial there already and I think I have a great feel for the facilities, the campus and what itā€™s like there, but Iā€™m excited to build relationships with all the guys. Itā€™s been fun to watch their offense and the way they have been using Jaā€™Tavion Sanders. Heā€™s a playmaker in their offense and theyā€™ve been using him as a weapon, so thatā€™s been super cool to see.ā€

Robinson is the nationā€™s No. 19 overall prospect and No. 1 among tight ends in the 2023 class, per the industry-generated 247Sports Composite rankings. He has amassed well over double-digit scholarship offers in both football and baseball.

The Ducks, meanwhile, are likely to get the final official visit. The 6-foot-6, 225-pound Robinson drew the presence of Ducks staffers earlier this month when Oregon played down the highway in Tucson and heā€™s excited to get back up to Eugene.

ā€œIā€™ve been to a game at Autzen before, I believe it was my freshman year for the rivalry against Oregon State, so I have a good idea of what itā€™s like there on a big gameday,ā€ Robinson said. ā€œWe donā€™t have a date yet but if we go during season, itā€™s likely that weekend they play Utah.ā€

Robinson, who has drawn comparisons to Aaron Judge for his build and power, intends to play both sports at the next level and has gotten considerable buzz this year for his exploits at several off-season showcase events. Robinson's father, Dominic, played receiver at Florida State in the early 2000s and was also drafted in baseball.

ā€œOregon was one of my first baseball offers back in like eighth grade or freshman year, so Iā€™ve been building a relationship with them for a while,ā€ Robinson said. ā€œOn the football side coach Kenny Dilingham is a great dude. He is from Arizona, grew up here and knows the state super well, and coach Dan Lanning is great, too. We first connected back when he was at Georgia and it was impressive what he did at Georgia and how heā€™s transferring that over to Oregon. Coach Drew Mehringer is one of the best in the country, so Iā€™m super excited to get up there next month.ā€

Through six games as a senior this season Robinson had been credited with 30 receptions for 615 yards and eight touchdowns.

Stay tuned to 247Sports for breaking news, insight and analysis as prospects across all classes continue to sort through their top contenders all season long.

Ā 

Ā 

Jesus. Mehringer got another job. I didn't believe that quote until I looked it up. I'm speechless.Ā 

• Haha 3