Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

48 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

If Stewart truly does want to come here, he should know better than to do any dumbassery in the portal. I am not sure Sark would even take the guy at this point, so making it harder than it needs to be will be a bad strategy.

I don’t think he’s coming here, he’s likely transferring elsewhere for more/comparable money.

8 hours ago, Hank_Hill said:

I don’t think he’s coming here, he’s likely transferring elsewhere for more/comparable money.

If he's best available by a wide margin I think he'd come with some grace from Sark. But if he doesn't him leaving a&m is a win for offseason content alone. Losing him may push a couple others out as well. 

Roach: There MIGHT be smoke around Vasek and other stuff

Spoiler

Recruiting has been fairly slow for the Longhorns since filling up the majority of the class during the summer, but the action is starting to heat up as we get closer and closer to the first signing period in December.

Texas had a major recruiting visit weekend for the Iowa State game featuring more than a half dozen commits including national No. 1 prospect Arch Manning, a host of new targets including Top247 athlete Jelani McDonald, and probably the most intriguing name in attendance in Austin Westlake EDGE and Oklahoma commit Colton Vasek.

Did Texas make a move with a local target committed to a rival? Where do things stand with multiple Texas priorities? Is there anything to monitor with two commits that visited local programs?

In this week's edition of The Stampede, Horns247's weekly gathering of recruiting intel, we talk about those subjects and more.

THE LATEST ON COLTON VASEK
After helping Austin Westlake to their 47th straight victory on Friday night, Oklahoma commit and Top247 EDGE prospect Colton Vasek made his second trip to DKR this season to watch Texas take on Iowa State.

While Vasek's short trip to Texas earlier this season could be excused for wanting the hottest ticket in town as the No. 1 Tide played the Horns, this week's trip signaled a different tone after the four-star watched Texas beat Oklahoma 49-0 the previous week at the Cotton Bowl in Dallas.

Even after the Alabama game certain sources believed that there was legitimate smoke with Vasek, including one source I've used throughout this recruitment that has consistently said since the summer that this would follow the same trajectory as the Kelvin Banks' recruitment with an out-of-state commitment, smoke during the fall surrounding a flip, and an eventual commitment to Texas.

Colton Vasek (Photo: Jordan Scruggs, 247Sports)
As you can imagine that sentiment has grown over the past two weeks and I caught up with a different source this weekend to get their read on how everything is currently playing out with the 6-foot-6 EDGE.

The most important note the source relayed to me was that the feeling around Westlake surrounding Vasek's desire to stay in Austin has shifted since the summer. During Vasek's official and unofficial visits over the summer the prevailing thought was that Vasek wanted to commit to an out-of-state program and when Oregon wasn't a realistic option as he got closer to his commitment date the four-star pivoted to Oklahoma which caught just about everybody in the industry by surprise.

In addition to the note about Vasek seemingly not being opposed to staying close to home, this source and a few others mentioned that Arch Manning was giving Vasek a ton to think about throughout the gameday visit and afterward as the two hung out.

The best way to describe Manning's recruiting effort of Vasek is probably "full court press" as the nation's No. 1 player made it his chief priority on Saturday to flip his close friend Vasek. One source in attendance described it as Manning "laying into Vasek" and confidence seemed to be high that the five-star was making an impression.

Another factor that always bears repeating with Vasek is the influence of his three friends, former teammates, and current Texas players Ethan Burke, Connor Robertson, and Michael Taaffe. All three players logging snaps over the last two games Vasek attended helped some, but more than that those three have hit the gas pedal as peer recruiters over the past two weeks attempting to strike while the iron is hot. Taaffe and Robertson already have one assist in the 2023 cycle with their effort in helping lock down Manning, if they can do the same with Vasek the two along with Burke would cement themselves as cult heroes in the eyes of the Texas fanbase.

The last bit of sourced intel I have on Vasek is that the mood surrounding Texas commits and sources around the program have shifted from optimistic/hopeful to quietly confident over the past two weeks. The staff, players, and commits have put their best foot forward and like where they stand if trendlines hold steady.

DUCE ROBINSON SETS OFFICIAL VISIT DATE
Duce Robinson
Duce Robinson (Photo: Blair Angulo, 247Sports)
On Sunday 247Sports national recruiting analyst Blair Angulo broke the news that the nation’s No. 1 rated tight end, Duce Robinson, out of Pheonix, Arizona had scheduled his official visit to Texas.

“I’ll be at Texas for the TCU game on Nov. 12,” Robinson told 247Sports. “I’m really excited to see what the environment there is like and get a chance to talk to the other recruits that make it and the players they have on the team already. I’ve taken an unofficial there already and I think I have a great feel for the facilities, the campus and what it’s like there, but I’m excited to build relationships with all the guys. It’s been fun to watch their offense and the way they have been using Ja’Tavion Sanders. He’s a playmaker in their offense and they’ve been using him as a weapon, so that’s been super cool to see.”

As Mike pointed out in last week's edition of the stampede Ja’Tavion Sanders' production and potential freshman All-American campaign is a major plus for Robinson. While these are the type of recruiting battles Jeff Banks is on staff for, similar to Vasek this is another recruitment that has Arch Manning's full focus. Depending on his schedule it wouldn't shock me if Manning made a return trip to Austin for the TCU game to spend time with the five-star tight end.

If nothing ultimately materializes with Robinson, don't be shocked if the Horns make a late push and offer for North Crowley 2023 tight end and Vanderbilt commit Ka'Morreun Pimpton who was on campus this weekend. Mike and I have mentioned a couple times this season that Pimpton has been one of the more impressive players we've evaluated in person, and the Texas staff views him as a potential matchup nightmare at 6-foot-6, 220 pounds.

CEDRIC BAXTER VISITS FSU

(Photo: Greg Oyster, 247Sports)
While I wasn't able to get in contact with Baxter after his visit to Florida State, I did speak to a source that has had good information in the past on the top 30 player in the 2023 cycle.

The source mentioned that this was Baxter's third visit to a program from the state of Florida this season after early trips to Florida and UCF, but while those programs are going to recruit the elite back through the whistle, they didn't seem concerned about the status of his Texas pledge.

"As long as Choice and Sark are in Austin I don't think Texas fans have anything to worry about."

ANDRE COJOE VISITS TCU

Andre Cojoe (Photo: Mike Roach, 247Sports)
One visit that flew a bit under the radar on Saturday was Texas three-star offensive line commit Andre Cojoe making the short trip to TCU for the Oklahoma State game from Mansifeld. Horns247 spoke with Cojoe on Saturday who confirmed the TCU visit but reiterated that he was locked in with his Texas pledge.

COMMENTS
"Yes sir I'm at the TCU game nothing weird though still a Longhorn," he said. "Mom had to work this morning and couldn't make it to the Texas game so we came here."

Sources we spoke to feel confident that Cojoe will early enroll at Texas in January as planned.

• Hook 'Em 2

23 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

I'd love to have Stewart. Obviously I think its a longshot. However given the choice I would rather have any of their DL

It sounds like he really burned some bridges and is unlikely to be on our radar again, which I can appreciate from a stick to your guns perspective.

On the other hand, the idea of having Johntay Cook, Neyor, and Stewart all as additions to our WR room with Ewers back next year and Manning coming in is...intriguing to say the least.

23 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

It sounds like he really burned some bridges and is unlikely to be on our radar again, which I can appreciate from a stick to your guns perspective.

On the other hand, the idea of having Johntay Cook, Neyor, and Stewart all as additions to our WR room with Ewers back next year and Manning coming in is...intriguing to say the least.

I don't anyone to misunderstand what I've previously written about Stewart's recruitment and the way they handled things with Texas. At the time, the UT side was done with the guy. In May/June, I heard a rant about it from someone directly involved with my own ears, but no one's voice was raised. The player came up in a different context, the details of the recruitment were briefly mentioned again and then the fleeting thought was basically "good luck to Jimbo keeping all of that shit with that class together."

That has driven my sentiment that I would be surprised if they wanted the guy. That said, he has legitimate talent that could have him drafted early if he were to properly harness it. That's a pretty shiny object and coaches can convince themselves of anything, so maybe they make a big push. 

My wild ass guess on the odds of where Stewart winds up are, and others can feel free to play because I haven't heard jack shit about the guy lately that isn't on this board already (that his camp has made no secret of an interest elsewhere, Texas included, after the season): USC - 25%, Ole Miss - 25%, ATM - 25%, Other SEC bidders 15%, Texas 5%, Oregon 5%.

• Hook 'Em 3

40 minutes ago, Teryor said:

Reveal hidden contents

Recruiting has been fairly slow for the Longhorns since filling up the majority of the class during the summer, but the action is starting to heat up as we get closer and closer to the first signing period in December.

Texas had a major recruiting visit weekend for the Iowa State game featuring more than a half dozen commits including national No. 1 prospect Arch Manning, a host of new targets including Top247 athlete Jelani McDonald, and probably the most intriguing name in attendance in Austin Westlake EDGE and Oklahoma commit Colton Vasek.

Did Texas make a move with a local target committed to a rival? Where do things stand with multiple Texas priorities? Is there anything to monitor with two commits that visited local programs?

In this week's edition of The Stampede, Horns247's weekly gathering of recruiting intel, we talk about those subjects and more.

After helping Austin Westlake to their 47th straight victory on Friday night, Oklahoma commit and Top247 EDGE prospect Colton Vasek made his second trip to DKR this season to watch Texas take on Iowa State.

While Vasek's short trip to Texas earlier this season could be excused for wanting the hottest ticket in town as the No. 1 Tide played the Horns, this week's trip signaled a different tone after the four-star watched Texas beat Oklahoma 49-0 the previous week at the Cotton Bowl in Dallas.

Even after the Alabama game certain sources believed that there was legitimate smoke with Vasek, including one source I've used throughout this recruitment that has consistently said since the summer that this would follow the same trajectory as the Kelvin Banks' recruitment with an out-of-state commitment, smoke during the fall surrounding a flip, and an eventual commitment to Texas.

As you can imagine that sentiment has grown over the past two weeks and I caught up with a different source this weekend to get their read on how everything is currently playing out with the 6-foot-6 EDGE.

The most important note the source relayed to me was that the feeling around Westlake surrounding Vasek's desire to stay in Austin has shifted since the summer. During Vasek's official and unofficial visits over the summer the prevailing thought was that Vasek wanted to commit to an out-of-state program and when Oregon wasn't a realistic option as he got closer to his commitment date the four-star pivoted to Oklahoma which caught just about everybody in the industry by surprise.

In addition to the note about Vasek seemingly not being opposed to staying close to home, this source and a few others mentioned that Arch Manning was giving Vasek a ton to think about throughout the gameday visit and afterward as the two hung out.

The best way to describe Manning's recruiting effort of Vasek is probably "full court press" as the nation's No. 1 player made it his chief priority on Saturday to flip his close friend Vasek. One source in attendance described it as Manning "laying into Vasek" and confidence seemed to be high that the five-star was making an impression.

Another factor that always bears repeating with Vasek is the influence of his three friends, former teammates, and current Texas players Ethan Burke, Connor Robertson, and Michael Taaffe. All three players logging snaps over the last two games Vasek attended helped some, but more than that those three have hit the gas pedal as peer recruiters over the past two weeks attempting to strike while the iron is hot. Taaffe and Robertson already have one assist in the 2023 cycle with their effort in helping lock down Manning, if they can do the same with Vasek the two along with Burke would cement themselves as cult heroes in the eyes of the Texas fanbase.

The last bit of sourced intel I have on Vasek is that the mood surrounding Texas commits and sources around the program have shifted from optimistic/hopeful to quietly confident over the past two weeks. The staff, players, and commits have put their best foot forward and like where they stand if trendlines hold steady.

Duce Robinson
On Sunday 247Sports national recruiting analyst Blair Angulo broke the news that the nation’s No. 1 rated tight end, Duce Robinson, out of Pheonix, Arizona had scheduled his official visit to Texas.

“I’ll be at Texas for the TCU game on Nov. 12,” Robinson told 247Sports. “I’m really excited to see what the environment there is like and get a chance to talk to the other recruits that make it and the players they have on the team already. I’ve taken an unofficial there already and I think I have a great feel for the facilities, the campus and what it’s like there, but I’m excited to build relationships with all the guys. It’s been fun to watch their offense and the way they have been using Ja’Tavion Sanders. He’s a playmaker in their offense and they’ve been using him as a weapon, so that’s been super cool to see.”

As Mike pointed out in last week's edition of the stampede Ja’Tavion Sanders' production and potential freshman All-American campaign is a major plus for Robinson. While these are the type of recruiting battles Jeff Banks is on staff for, similar to Vasek this is another recruitment that has Arch Manning's full focus. Depending on his schedule it wouldn't shock me if Manning made a return trip to Austin for the TCU game to spend time with the five-star tight end.

If nothing ultimately materializes with Robinson, don't be shocked if the Horns make a late push and offer for North Crowley 2023 tight end and Vanderbilt commit Ka'Morreun Pimpton who was on campus this weekend. Mike and I have mentioned a couple times this season that Pimpton has been one of the more impressive players we've evaluated in person, and the Texas staff views him as a potential matchup nightmare at 6-foot-6, 220 pounds.

CEDRIC BAXTER VISITS FSU

While I wasn't able to get in contact with Baxter after his visit to Florida State, I did speak to a source that has had good information in the past on the top 30 player in the 2023 cycle.

The source mentioned that this was Baxter's third visit to a program from the state of Florida this season after early trips to Florida and UCF, but while those programs are going to recruit the elite back through the whistle, they didn't seem concerned about the status of his Texas pledge.

"As long as Choice and Sark are in Austin I don't think Texas fans have anything to worry about."

ANDRE COJOE VISITS TCU

One visit that flew a bit under the radar on Saturday was Texas three-star offensive line commit Andre Cojoe making the short trip to TCU for the Oklahoma State game from Mansifeld. Horns247 spoke with Cojoe on Saturday who confirmed the TCU visit but reiterated that he was locked in with his Texas pledge.

COMMENTS
"Yes sir I'm at the TCU game nothing weird though still a Longhorn," he said. "Mom had to work this morning and couldn't make it to the Texas game so we came here."

Sources we spoke to feel confident that Cojoe will early enroll at Texas in January as planned.

Gerry Hamilton’s report from yesterday afternoon was a lot more worried about Andre Cojoe than this Mike Roach report.

Recruiting Scoop: Vasek sees Texas again, Muhammad holding firm, big hoops decisions loom

Eric Nahlin•6 minutes

Article written by:Eric Nahlin

Colton Vasek (Will Gallagher/Inside Texas)

Colton Vasek, EDGE, Austin (Texas) Westlake – OU commit

It shouldn’t have been much of a surprise when the Longhorn legacy attended the Texas-Iowa State game on Saturday. Vasek has seen campus multiple times over the last year as the Texas staff continues to court the Oklahoma pledge. 

Sources close to the recruitment tell Inside Texas that Vasek enjoyed the game on Saturday, hanging out with Arch Manning and other recruits. 

There’s a sense Texas is making progress in this recruitment, and it’s not just Oklahoma’s poor season. Vasek has multiple former Westlake teammates on the Forty Acres, and they’re certainly putting in the effort to recruit Vasek, but it might be the usage of fellow EDGE and close friend Ethan Burke. 

At this stage, Texas just needs to stay the course and keep the momentum going. The product on the field is matching the recruiting sales pitch, and that gives the Horns a solid chance at flipping the Sooners commit. 

Malik Muhammad, CB, Dallas (Texas) South Oak Cliff – Texas commit

Muhammad made the unofficial visit to Texas Saturday with family members. For Texas, this visit was all about reminding Muhammad why he chose Texas over Alabama to begin with, and the family spending more time around the staff and people in the program. Inside Texas believes the reasons Muhammad initially picked Texas continue to ring true. 

Alabama is seen as the threat to Texas. While Muhammad remains scheduled to make an official visit to Texas A&M to close out the month of October, it will be the official visit to Alabama this weekend or in December that will be the one that the Longhorns have to navigate through.

Muhammad is expected back on campus at Texas prior to the December signing period. 

Trey Owens, QB, Cypress (Texas) Cy-Fair – 2024

Texas continues to monitor the 6-foot-4, 195-pound junior quarterback. He made it back to Austin for the Texas-Iowa State game over the weekend. 

“Once again, it was an amazing atmosphere and I absolutely love it,” said Owens. “I really just wanted to see how (Texas’) offense could produce against a strong defense like Iowa State.”

Owens holds offers from Texas Tech, Baylor, SMU, and Rice among others. Texas is likely going to add one signal-called to the 2024 cycle. Owens remains in the mix.

Brett Bordelon, OL, New Orleans (La.) Isidore Newman – 2025

Arch Manning brought a handful of Greenies with him to Austin over the weekend, including On3 four-star Brett Bordelon.

The 6-foot-4, 265-pound offensive tackle holds offers from Texas, Alabama, Georgia, and LSU, where his older brother currently plays. It was Bordelon’s second trip to Austin. 

“It was really amazing,” said Bordelon. “The environment, the stadium, and the staff were all so great. I talked to Coach (Kyle) Flood for a while and he’s really great. Their offensive line dominated today which helped their run game tremendously. It was great being there with friends and family as well as my parents came with me as well as Arch (Manning) and Will (Randle) being there. It was a great experience.”

Bordelon tells Inside Texas he’s eager to return for another game this season, and despite Louisiana State ties, is open to leaving the state. Only a sophomore, the Longhorns have laid a solid foundation in this recruitment. 

Khayree Lee, OL, Marrero (La.) John Ehret – 2024

At 6-foot-5, 360 pounds, the massive junior offensive lineman is exactly what Kyle Flood and crew are looking for along the o-line. Texas recently offered the Pelican State native. 

“I don’t know much about Texas but what really stands out right now is how they play,” said Lee. “Definitely helps (Texas) heading to SEC.”

LSU and Florida State are the early leaders in this recruitment and a trip to Austin could be in the works. For now, Lee is just soaking up the recruiting process. 

“I’m looking for a college program to make me a better man and a better player,” Lee tells Inside Texas. 

Athletic: Top high school QB recruits: How the nation’s elite prospects fared over the weekend

Arch Only (yes i know he had a bye week)

Spoiler

Arch Manning

School: New Orleans Isidore Newman
Committed to: Texas
Ranking: No. 1 nationally, No. 1 QB (247Sports Composite)

Manning’s 5-1 Newman team was off this week, which gave the nation’s top prospect the chance to travel to Austin to watch Texas beat Iowa State 24-21.

One of the more interesting recruiting developments of the weekend centered around Oklahoma defensive end commit Colton Vasek also visiting Austin, where he was photographed chatting with Manning. Vasek’s presence at Texas is noteworthy, considering OU coach Brent Venables’ well-documented thoughts about his committed prospects taking visits elsewhere — a philosophy he adopted from Clemson coach Dabo Swinney.

Perhaps Manning can convince Vasek to flip as December nears. Back in New Orleans, the Greenies return to action this week for a big game against Metairie Park Country Day, which marks the beginning of district play.

Newman coach Nelson Stewart said he has been at the school for 24 years, including 17 as the head coach. Never before in his time has a quarterback played as difficult of a non-district schedule as the one Manning faced this season.

“I know sometimes that as he’s come through — we’re a small (Class) 2A school — you hear about competition and who he’s played,” Stewart said, acknowledging what has become a common knock on Manning. “When we finish and when he comes out of this thing, he’ll have really been battle-tested in terms of what he’s seen, the coverages, the defenses and obviously the competition.

“Where he goes from here, I think he’s really gonna be prepared. That’s the biggest thing. Because a lot of people thought I was crazy when I put this schedule out.”

Text:

Spoiler

Top high school QB recruits: How the nation’s elite prospects fared over the weekend

GARDENA, CA - SEPTEMBER 09: Downey Warren quarterback Nico Iamaleava (8) runs against Gardena Serra on Friday, Sept. 9, 2022 in Gardena, CA. (Jason Armond / Los Angeles Times via Getty Images)
By Grace Raynor
7h ago

Welcome back to The Athletic’s prep quarterback report, where we check in on the nation’s top QBs in the Class of 2023. It was an epic weekend in college football. The high school scene had plenty of buzz, as well. Let’s get to it. Here is last week’s report.

Arch Manning

School: New Orleans Isidore Newman
Committed to: Texas
Ranking: No. 1 nationally, No. 1 QB (247Sports Composite)

Manning’s 5-1 Newman team was off this week, which gave the nation’s top prospect the chance to travel to Austin to watch Texas beat Iowa State 24-21.

One of the more interesting recruiting developments of the weekend centered around Oklahoma defensive end commit Colton Vasek also visiting Austin, where he was photographed chatting with Manning. Vasek’s presence at Texas is noteworthy, considering OU coach Brent Venables’ well-documented thoughts about his committed prospects taking visits elsewhere — a philosophy he adopted from Clemson coach Dabo Swinney.

Perhaps Manning can convince Vasek to flip as December nears. Back in New Orleans, the Greenies return to action this week for a big game against Metairie Park Country Day, which marks the beginning of district play.

Newman coach Nelson Stewart said he has been at the school for 24 years, including 17 as the head coach. Never before in his time has a quarterback played as difficult of a non-district schedule as the one Manning faced this season.

“I know sometimes that as he’s come through — we’re a small (Class) 2A school — you hear about competition and who he’s played,” Stewart said, acknowledging what has become a common knock on Manning. “When we finish and when he comes out of this thing, he’ll have really been battle-tested in terms of what he’s seen, the coverages, the defenses and obviously the competition.

“Where he goes from here, I think he’s really gonna be prepared. That’s the biggest thing. Because a lot of people thought I was crazy when I put this schedule out.”

Malachi Nelson

School: Los Alamitos (Calif.)
Committed to: USC
Ranking: No. 3 nationally, No. 2 QB

Los Alamitos decided that it would evaluate how five-star wide receiver Makai Lemon — Nelson’s fellow USC commit — looked during pregame warmups.

Lemon, who injured his ankle last week, played limited snaps in the Griffins’ 52-27 victory over previously undefeated Edison. But he and Nelson certainly made them count, which included Lemon taking a hitch to the house for 70-plus yards on his first play of the game.

The wide receiver even came up with this interception in the end zone.

Meanwhile, Nelson got creative with his other wide receivers, hitting freshman Carson Clark for a 40-yard touchdown and senior Ethan O’Connor on a double move for a 70-yard score that put the game away. For the game, Nelson completed 20-of-30 passes for 296 yards with three touchdowns and one interception.

“It was third down, third-and-1. We’re on the minus-40, minus 35-range, and we’re right toward the end of the game,” said Los Alamitos offensive coordinator TJ Fenton. “Kind of a gutsy call and he threw it right into the blitz. That one was a good one.”

Fenton said that Nelson’s command of the air-raid offense, plus his ability to navigate the Griffins through a recent decision to increase their tempo have given the offense “a ton of momentum right now.”

Next up is homecoming this week, when Los Alamitos will honor the 2002 team that won the CIF championship. It’s been a while since the Griffins have played to the level of the 2002 squad, but Nelson and Lemon have helped change that this year, Fenton said.

“Now it’s kind of that community feeling that we’re back,” he said. “Los Al is back.”

Nico Iamaleava

School: Warren (Calif.)
Committed to: Tennessee
Ranking: No. 5 nationally, No. 3 QB

What a weekend for Iamaleava, whose Warren team beat rival Downey 49-22 on Friday night and whose future Tennessee team got the win of the season against Alabama on Saturday evening.

Iamaleava threw for nearly 260 yards and four touchdowns with one interception against Downey, according to Warren head coach Kevin Pearson, just days after the two of them stayed up until 1:30 a.m. on FaceTime going over the call sheet for Friday’s matchup. That’s one of the things Pearson likes most about Iamaleava’s game: He’s a smart quarterback and a quick processor of information.

“I give him a lot of input,” Pearson said. “He’s intelligent enough and he’s on the field. He has to make those decisions and sees things better than I do from the sideline. So he has free rein to check … and has free rein to install things.”

Pearson said Warren scored on each of its first four possessions, with Iamaleava throwing his second and third touchdown passes of the night on checks he made out of the original call.

Ultimately, Pearson has final say when it comes to plays and install. But he welcomes input from Iamaleava, who suggested that the Bears incorporate a couple of things into the game plan this week.

“And we executed them in the game,” he said. “He’s highly intelligent and he’s very much involved with what we do schematically.”

Pearson said Iamaleava almost went to Knoxville, Tenn., this weekend for the Alabama game — a quick turnaround — but he and his family decided to stay put in California. He visited  Knoxville in September for UT’s matchup with Florida and will fit right in once he’s on campus, Pearson said. He clearly watched Saturday.

“He’s fired up about Tennessee,” Pearson said. “He’s really, really excited. He loves Coach (Josh) Heupel, he loves (quarterbacks) Coach Joey (Halzle). … He’s special. And they’re gonna love him so much over there.”

Dante Moore

School: Detroit Martin Luther King Jr.
Committed to: Oregon
Ranking: No. 8 nationally, No. 4 QB

Oregon coach Dan Lanning and offensive coordinator Kenny Dillingham were on hand to see their quarterback of the future in action Friday night. Dante Moore’s Detroit King team couldn’t beat Cass Tech for a second time this season, losing 28-14 in the city championship. But Moore still showed Lanning and Dillingham why he’s one of the best quarterbacks in the country.

Look no further than this throw, shown from two different angles.

Or this one.

Moore and Detroit King travel to Ohio this week for their last game of the regular season. The Crusaders will take on Archbishop Moeller in Cincinnati.

Jackson Arnold

School: Denton (Texas) Guyer
Committed to: Oklahoma
Ranking: No. 13 nationally, No. 5 QB

It was business as usual for Arnold this week, said Guyer offensive coordinator Jordan Johnson. The 7-0 Wildcats beat Braswell 62-7 on Friday night, with Arnold completing 19 of 23 attempts for 269 yards, two touchdowns and an interception. Because the Wildcats keep beating opponents so handily, Arnold isn’t routinely playing four full quarters each Friday night. But perhaps that’s a good problem to have, especially ahead of a national matchup Thursday night against Allen that will air at 7 p.m. on ESPN2.

“Our guys are stoked about it,” Johnson said. “It’s just such a neat opportunity for these guys, a Thursday night game on ESPN. I never had that opportunity — I couldn’t imagine being a high school kid now, being able to do something like that. It’s just awesome.”

Johnson said Guyer’s matchup with Braswell highlighted Arnold’s intangibles as well as his accuracy and scrambling abilities. He had just four incompletions before coaches pulled him with about seven minutes remaining in the third quarter.

Oklahoma, Arnold’s future team, got back on track Saturday with a 52-42 win against Kansas but has been up and down in Venables’ first season. That hasn’t changed the way Arnold feels about his future team, Johnson said.

“Tough times don’t last like that and sometimes I think people can be very nearsighted and say ‘Things aren’t going well for whatever reason,’ and ‘Is he still interested?’” Johnson said. “And a kid like him, I think that’s one of the really great qualities in him. Not only is he a competitor, but he’s willing to grind and figure things out. I think that’s what makes him a great quarterback.”

Christopher Vizzina

School: Briarwood (Ala.) Christian
Committed to: Clemson
Ranking: No. 21 nationally, No. 6

Vizzina’s Briarwood team lost 16-14 to Benjamin Russell High on Friday, with the Clemson commit throwing three interceptions. He finished the night 18-of-27 passing for 173 yards, one touchdown and the three picks.

Benjamin Russell cornerback Ty Williams, who also had an eventual game-winning touchdown on a kickoff return, had two of those interceptions.

With the loss, Vizzina and Briarwood fell to 3-5, with the Lions now on a three-game losing streak. Vizzina lost his top wide receiver to an ACL tear earlier this season and has played at times without another starting receiver who was previously battling a hamstring injury. The four-star Alabama native has two games remaining in the regular season: at Homewood and versus Fairhope.

Jaden Rashada

School: Pittsburg (Calif.)
Committed to: Miami
Ranking: No. 56 nationally, No. 7 QB

Rashada has impressed in each of Pittsburg’s last two games, starting with a 31-29 victory last week against Liberty. Despite Pittsburg taking an early 28-6 lead in the second quarter, Liberty battled back and grabbed a 29-28 lead late in the fourth quarter. But Rashada kept his composure and led the Pirates downfield on a final drive that culminated with a game-winning field goal for a 31-29 victory. He threw for 218 yards, four touchdowns and an interception.

This week, Pittsburg cruised. The Pirates beat Deer Valley 51-0, with Rashada going 12-of-19 passing for 158 yards and three touchdowns. He also rushed twice for 15 yards and a score.

“(Jaden had) a very clean and efficient game, leading Pitt to a 30-0 halftime lead (and) allowing the Pirates to get every player on the roster extended playing time in the second half,” assistant coach Alan Jobb wrote in an email.

Rashada and Pittsburg return home this week to host Freedom.

Eli Holstein

School: Zachary (La.)
Committed to: Alabama
Ranking: No. 68 nationally, No. 8 QB

Holstein was expected to miss four to six weeks with an injury to his non-throwing shoulder sustained Sept. 16, according to The Advocate. But Holstein returned to action earlier than expected and missed just one game, in part thanks to a well-timed idle week.

The four-star Louisiana native led Zachary to a 33-6 victory against Woodlawn, quarterbacked by LSU commit Rickie Collins, last week. Then he followed it up with a 53-38 victory against Scotlandville this week as Zachary improved to 5-1 on the season.

Holstein completed 21 of 30 passes for 199 yards and four touchdowns, per the school’s Hudl page, and ran twice for 14 yards and an additional touchdown. Scroll to the 55-second mark of this video to see Holstein roll to his right and hit wide receiver Tyson George for a 30-yard pickup. At the 1:30 mark, he hits wide receiver Tylon Williams for a 10-yard touchdown, and at the 2:30 mark, he and wide receiver Jalen Wright connect for a 30-yard score as Holstein perfectly places the ball for Wright in one-on-one coverage.

Holstein completed 70 percent of his passes with no interceptions and was named Zachary’s Player of the Game. The Broncos play at Central High School in Baton Rouge next week, then travel to Liberty Magnet and host Catholic High before the postseason begins on Nov. 11.

Dylan Lonergan

School: Brookwood (Ga.)
Committed to: Alabama
Ranking: No. 83 nationally, No. 9 QB

Holstein’s fellow Alabama commit, Lonergan, also won on Friday night, with Brookwood improving to 2-0 in region play thanks to a 31-23 win against Newton.

Lonergan wasted no time getting Brookwood on the board with a 60-yard touchdown pass to Bryce Dopson for the first score of the game, seen at the 15-second mark here. Lonergan also found a hole on third-and-4 in the second quarter after he had initially dropped back to pass and took off down the sideline for a 71-yard rushing touchdown, shown at the 1:15 mark.

Lonergan’s coaches have praised him all season for his ability to make defenses pay in multiple ways, and Friday was certainly no exception. Brookwood got off to a tough start this season but has won two of its last three as Lonergan continues to lead a young team.

“The thing that I love about Dylan is he’s present,” Brookwood coach Phillip Jones said earlier this season. “He’s with us, he’s in the moment. He’s had so much attention and so many accolades thrown his way and offers, a lot of kids can’t handle (it). They start thinking about the next level or they just get distracted from what’s in front of them. … He’s right there with us.”

JJ Kohl

School: Ankeny (Iowa)
Committed to: Iowa State
Ranking: No. 97 nationally, No. 10 QB

The Iowa State commit got a win on senior night, thanks to Ankeny’s 31-7 victory against Waukee Northwest.

Kohl’s first touchdown of the night went to Class of 2025 wide receiver Evan Irlmeier to give Ankeny a 21-0 lead at halftime.

His second touchdown came on the ground with a quarterback keeper that made it 28-0.

“He’s a pure drop-back quarterback but he can get you some first downs with his legs, too,” Ankeny coach Rick Nelson said earlier this season. “He’s probably 6-foot-8 and he weighs … 235 (pounds).

“He’s not probably gonna have a lot of designed quarterback runs (at Iowa State), but he can get out of things and make some first downs with his feet and that’s what you want.”

2024 spotlight

The Northeast might not be known for its high school football, but three-star prospect Ryan Puglisi put on a show Friday night for his Avon Old Farms (Conn.) team. Then, on Sunday, he committed to Georgia, becoming the fifth commitment in the class and the Bulldogs’ only quarterback commit in any class (they don’t currently have a QB in their ’23 class).

So what kind of quarterback is he?

Puglisi started the game Friday with this 45-yard touchdown pass to wide receiver Maxwell Warren, shown at the 10-second mark. The duo then linked up again, this time on fourth-and-12, for a 50-yard score in the second quarter as Puglisi rolled to his left and hit Warren streaking down the left sideline.

Per Avon Old Farms’ team Hudl page, Puglisi was a perfect 9-of-9 passing for 217 yards and three touchdowns against The Hotchkiss School. He is the nation’s No. 359 prospect in the Class of 2024 and No. 27 quarterback. Puglisi, who was in Athens, Ga., over the weekend to watch Georgia’s 55-0 win over Vanderbilt, also has an offer from Alabama. Not bad for a three-star recruit.

(Photo of Nico Iamaleava: Jason Armond / Los Angeles Times via Getty Images)

What did you think of this story?

MEH

SOLID

AWESOME

Grace Raynor

Grace Raynor is a staff writer for The Athletic covering primarily southeastern college football and recruiting and Clemson and South Carolina. She has covered Clemson since 2017, previously for The Post and Courier newspaper in Charleston, S.C. A native of western North Carolina, Grace graduated from the University of North Carolina. Follow Grace on Twitter @gmraynor

Just now, HillCountryBevo said:

Question for @closetojumping

how are we going to replace sweat, coburn, and ojomo as well as get an average DE?

I'm for sure not the only person who should take a shot at this. They like the young DL talent they have, to be clear. That's a good starting point. They're going to be really aggressive in the portal for edge and DL guys as well. Like, not outbid for a star aggressive. Hopefully that works out and there is a guy or three worth getting. I also won't be surprised if Mitchell is in the rotation from the beginning at nose/1 technique/whatever the fuck the dorks want to call the guy with A gap responsibilities these days.

• Hook 'Em 4

6 minutes ago, HillCountryBevo said:

how are we going to replace sweat, coburn, and ojomo as well as get an average DE?

Start with begging Ojomo to come back for a Covid year and try to be a day 1 draft pick , and hope Murphy continues his ascent.

Then toss Broughton, Bryant, Collins, K Ross, and Bledsoe out there and hope one or two of them have an improvement like we've seen from Sweat/Ojomo/Coburn this year.

Then try to grab 1 or 2 Juco DTs that can contribute immediately. 

Likely will be quite a few prayers needed as well.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, cafe society said:

Why would you ask this about Roy Williams?  What did he ever do here to make you compare him to a shithead like Evan Stewart?  You must have an inclination to even ask the question.

Head case? Not necessarily in the sense you're talking about, but Roy was known to be eccentric. Here's an article from back in the day:

https://www.espn.com/magazine/vol4no21texas.html

Spoiler

Legend doesn't give a damn. He knows he's a freak. Not the Kearse kind of freak, but a George McFly kind of freak. More Urkel than Urlacher. Legend -- a.k.a. Roy Williams, the nation's most gifted college football player -- fries Oreos in a skillet with butter, quotes The Lion King and still snuggles a lucky security blanket. He's as country as a tumbleweed. His Texas teammates say the slow-talking wideout is the most bizarre character they've ever met. Even Legend's mama says her boy is, well, weird. So what? Legend doesn't care what anybody thinks.

Edited by Hornlover
  • Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

Start with begging Ojomo to come back for a Covid year and try to be a day 1 draft pick , and hope Murphy continues his ascent.

Then toss Broughton, Bryant, Collins, K Ross, and Bledsoe out there and hope one or two of them have an improvement like we've seen from Sweat/Ojomo/Coburn this year.

only saw him briefly on the field this year, but he was the most impressive freshmen that I saw. No idea how it turns out, but he just moves so well for a big man. 

• Hook 'Em 1

42 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

Broughton is arguably the most improved guy in the rotation this season. He went from an afterthought to a legitimate piece of the puzzle. Provided he continues that trajectory, I think he could be a real factor next season. The young guys are unknowns, but I think Ross and Bledsoe are really going to come on. If Collins can have that same switch turn on that Sweat, Ojomo, and Coburn did this offseason then we may have something there. That said, yes, we need another two interior guys next season and obvious edge help.

I still have high hopes for Burke and think he could be the long term answer, but he needs to reshape his body from being an eric cartman beefcake 3000 client to legitimately carrying 250+ lbs of functional bodyweight. Still, props to the guy for doing what needed to be done to see the field this year. We still need a Jarred Verse type dude out of the portal.  

Edited by Vertigo

52 minutes ago, HillCountryBevo said:

edge + DL players on the 247 scholarship roster. has been wrong before but since IT did away with their version of it it's the best we got that's easily available. don't remember who was out there tracking it around here but if you would convert to google docs would greatly appreciate it for things like this.

image.png.6a115e5bcae14bb9b545b1528993807c.png

• Hook 'Em 1

That edge list is depressing...

1 minute ago, NoName said:

edge + DL players on the 247 scholarship roster. has been wrong before but since IT did away with their version of it it's the best we got that's easily available. don't remember who was out there tracking it around here but if you would convert to google docs would greatly appreciate it for things like this.

I'd gladly do it. Can you provide me the source site for this?

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

That edge list is depressing...

I'd gladly do it. Can you provide me the source site for this?

source is: https://247sports.com/college/texas/Season/2023-Football/ScholarshipDistribution/

BUT someone already does it, i just don't remember who. they include if they have super senior status, etc. grouped by class (fr/so/jr/sr.) don't recreate it from scratch, they already do it - i just want them to copy/paste it to google docs and share a link haha

1 minute ago, NoName said:

source is: https://247sports.com/college/texas/Season/2023-Football/ScholarshipDistribution/

BUT someone already does it, i just don't remember who. they include if they have super senior status, etc. grouped by class (fr/so/jr/sr.) don't recreate it from scratch, they already do it - i just want them to copy/paste it to google docs and share a link haha

Ok, fair enough. I'll give it a day or 2 for them to chime in before I tackle it.

16 minutes ago, NoName said:

13 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

Ok, fair enough. I'll give it a day or 2 for them to chime in before I tackle it.

I sent you a DM. If anyone else wants the Excel file I posted last week, let me know.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, NoName said:

Of the guys on this list that I didn't mention,  Jacoby Jones and Jordon Thomas are gone. Bayouth is a walkon (TE?).  Goram-Welch is on trapdoor watch. Bush is (hopefully) graduating.

Swanson and Sorrell are DEs, along with Finkley, Tapp, Brown, and Burke. I'll let somebody else decide who amongst these is likely to be a Buck and who is a Jack.

I feel a lot better about DT than I do Edge. 

Edited by Hornlover
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I don't anyone to misunderstand what I've previously written about Stewart's recruitment and the way they handled things with Texas. At the time, the UT side was done with the guy. In May/June, I heard a rant about it from someone directly involved with my own ears, but no one's voice was raised. The player came up in a different context, the details of the recruitment were briefly mentioned again and then the fleeting thought was basically "good luck to Jimbo keeping all of that shit with that class together."

That has driven my sentiment that I would be surprised if they wanted the guy. That said, he has legitimate talent that could have him drafted early if he were to properly harness it. That's a pretty shiny object and coaches can convince themselves of anything, so maybe they make a big push. 

My wild ass guess on the odds of where Stewart winds up are, and others can feel free to play because I haven't heard jack shit about the guy lately that isn't on this board already (that his camp has made no secret of an interest elsewhere, Texas included, after the season): USC - 25%, Ole Miss - 25%, ATM - 25%, Other SEC bidders 15%, Texas 5%, Oregon 5%.

Didn't he grow up somewhere in TN? I'd throw the Vols up there for sure

Spoiler

Duce Robinson

CEDRIC BAXTER VISITS FSU

ANDRE COJOE VISITS TCU
COMMENTS

If Roach says there’s smoke, Vasek has already signed his NLI, in blood, and given it to Sark to file on NSD.
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, NoName said:

8 hours ago, AP101S said:

I sent you a DM. If anyone else wants the Excel file I posted last week, let me know.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1TzoBTIvCXfZIk7Sz3C9txMg0yPvrXyVM/edit?usp=sharing&ouid=115568097012710816219&rtpof=true&sd=true

This is the football roster, including recruiting classes. If there are any glaring issues, or you are trustworthy enough. Feel free to shoot me a DM and I can update the sheet or give you access to do so. @AP101S PM me your gmail address so I can give you editing access.

• Hook 'Em 4

32 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1TzoBTIvCXfZIk7Sz3C9txMg0yPvrXyVM/edit?usp=sharing&ouid=115568097012710816219&rtpof=true&sd=true

This is the football roster, including recruiting classes. If there are any glaring issues, or you are trustworthy enough. Feel free to shoot me a DM and I can update the sheet or give you access to do so. @AP101S PM me your gmail address so I can give you editing access.

Damn, check out the big brain on Hayden Conner.