Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

SIAP. Latest on Vasek.

Spoiler

Sourced | Quick Hitter | Vasek Rumblings Getting LouderBy: CJ VogelPosted on: October 21, 2022

The hottest topic in Texas recruiting right now revolves around Westlake DE and current Oklahoma commit Colton Vasek.

A source I spoke with yesterday had some intel on the situation with Vasek’s commitment status.

Right now, the sense that was conveyed is that it is not a matter of if, but when will Vasek reopen his recruitment.

Following his second trip to campus for a game this season, and the strong efforts by Arch Manning and other members of the Texas 2023 class, this is perhaps the best positioning Texas has had in this recruitment since before Vasek opted to verbally commit to OU this summer.

Things are looking promising here.

• Hook 'Em 7

On 10/20/2022 at 8:07 AM, BornAndRaised said:

Made it official, Jonah Wilson committed to Houston

On 10/20/2022 at 8:10 AM, Hiphopopotamos said:

Processed.

On 10/20/2022 at 11:46 AM, TheMailBox357 said:

I doubt it. Looking up senior season stats of the WRs that UT recruited this cycle on the MaxPreps website, Wilson is probably having the best senior season out of all them.

On 10/20/2022 at 11:49 AM, Hiphopopotamos said:

It was a joke.  Marion has been over Wilson for years and offered him when he was at Pitt.  They clearly want him - but for whatever reason Wilson has decided to go a different way.

I'm hoping we can get Moore on-board and then go portal hunting.

Whoa!! Justin Wells just said in Texas Homer's latest video that dropped 30 minutes ago that he feels Jonah Wilson was processed out cause UT wants more speed on the outside (Skip to the 5:20 time mark):

The season is halfway over and 2023 recruiting is entering the final stretch. Who are the major targets left on the board? And who could we flip?

Edited by TheMailBox357

20 minutes ago, TheMailBox357 said:

Whoa!! Justin Wells just said in Texas Homer's latest video that dropped 30 minutes ago that he feels Jonah Wilson was processed out cause UT wants more speed on the outside (Skip to the 5:20 time mark):

That's uh, ballsy given the wastes of space currently residing in the Texas WR Room. 

44 minutes ago, TheMailBox357 said:

@Hiphopopotamosis Justin Wells? 

Also, bullshit. Why accept his commitment in the first damn place if he's slow? Sure 22.71 seconds in the 200m isn't all-world (https://www.on3.com/db/jonah-wilson-64480/scouting/), but the kid can definitely ball and has the senior season stats to back it up.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Okcool said:

SIAP. Latest on Vasek.

Reveal hidden contents

Sourced | Quick Hitter | Vasek Rumblings Getting LouderBy: CJ VogelPosted on: October 21, 2022

The hottest topic in Texas recruiting right now revolves around Westlake DE and current Oklahoma commit Colton Vasek.

A source I spoke with yesterday had some intel on the situation with Vasek’s commitment status.

Right now, the sense that was conveyed is that it is not a matter of if, but when will Vasek reopen his recruitment.

Following his second trip to campus for a game this season, and the strong efforts by Arch Manning and other members of the Texas 2023 class, this is perhaps the best positioning Texas has had in this recruitment since before Vasek opted to verbally commit to OU this summer.

Dark mode: 

Spoiler

1 hour ago, TheMailBox357 said:

I cant buy that. We dont exactly have guys waiting in the wings with Brennan Thompson speed.

• Hook 'Em 2

Bobby Burton revealed during the IT post game show that Whittington was held back in practice this week due to a nagging back injury. I know Whitt has already said earlier this year this current 2022 season would be his last season despite having 2 more years of eligibility after this current season. But it's probably safe to assume this nagging back injury kills any chance of Whitt changing his mind in case any of y'all were holding hope that he would change his mind.

3 hours ago, TXRed said:

From the way Gerry was talking during the week and aTm losing, I can’t help but to think Texas blew a golden opportunity to seal the deal some of the big time uncommitted guys and flip the guys we want that are committed elsewhere. 

Winning and losing doesn't matter in recruiting anymore, it helps but its not the primary driver

Edited by Michael Knight

24 minutes ago, FORTY NINE TO ZERO said:

It appears Sarkys last few QBs have regressed under his watch   Wonder how long he keeps his qb whistler title  

I thought Card looked much improved this year.  Quinn has okayed 4 games and today was his first road game.  In a big game, he shit his pants.  We saw Card do the same last year.  

• Hook 'Em 9

1 minute ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Does it even matter anymore lol. It doesn’t appear that recruiting is the issue. Whoever shows up is going to suck shit here anyway lobotomies are dished at orientation and football is forgotten when you put the Texas in your chest. 

On to basketball and Coach Beard 

pray praying hands GIF

2 hours ago, Harvdog said:

Ewers was off the whole game. Worthy dropped another TD pass that cost us at least a trip to OT.  That’s 3 games where his drops have cost us.  We lost on the road to the #11 team in the country.  We had 14 penalties.  14!!.  Recruits aren’t changing their minds because of this.  We need another WR and better DB play.  We need another Safety.  Having Cook miss the 2nd half hurt.  We have a week off to get healthy and win out.  This team can still win the Big XII

CharlieBrownLucyFootball.jpeg

• Haha 4
  • Rage+1 2

5 hours ago, FORTY NINE TO ZERO said:

It appears Sarkys last few QBs have regressed under his watch   Wonder how long he keeps his qb whistler title  

One shitty game (representing quarters 12-16 of actual college football playing time) and now "Sarks QB's regress".  JFC.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

He looked like shit vs Iowa state too. It’s an overreaction for sure. But Quinn has sucked shit for two games in a row.

I gave him somewhat the benefit of the doubt in that game because Iowa St. actually has a good and complex defense.   Okie St's defense sucks.  That's what makes yesterday's 2nd half offensive performance so frustrating.  That being said, I think we all knew QE was bound to have a game like yesterday.  We'll see how he bounces back.

• Hook 'Em 2

44 minutes ago, Skipper said:

This board is so fucking bipolar.   We lose to Tech (we suck, won't win 4 games).  We beat WVU and blow out OU (playoff bound!!).  Now we're back to losing out.

This team is about what most of us thought it would be.    Capable of beating anyone in conference by double digits if we actually execute at a high level on offense.   But shitty enough on defense that we can absolutely lose to anyone if we implode offensively like we did in the 2nd half yesterday.   We lack depth on defense and flat out do not have an Ossai like playmaker that can take a game over.  The defense is improved enough to keep us in every game but they won't win it.  Especially when we are dealing with Absolute Shit and Biased Big 12 refs that are NEVER going to give us a blatant hold or benefit of the doubt on a PI.

We lost because our FR QB had one of his worst games probably at any level combined with absolutely horrid second half execution at all levels.  Even Bijan not immune to criticism as he has to see that blitz on the swing pass and know the ball is coming out fast.  He turns around that's a huge gain.   I don't want to watch 2nd half film but if I do I'm pretty sure you can find big mistakes across the board that contributed to 3 fucking points on our last 10 drives.

Agree with most of this, but one of QE’s biggest issues in this game was poor pocket presence. He was getting sped up and bailed early on multiple plays. Combine that with shooting ourselves in the foot at crucial moments and we just couldn’t get shit going. That’s really why I hoped we would stick with the run. Would have limited the amount of negative shit that can happen and I think we would have found a way to get it done eventually. 

2 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

yep.  i was as frustrated as anyone yesterday but the meltdown is so fucking tired.  the "6-6 is optimistic" and "qbs regress under sark" takes are just so fucking stupid it makes me feel bad for the people who actually believe that shit.

this year has been about exactly what most of us predicted coming into the season.  if the team doesn't fall apart in november, we're gonna finish right around the preseason consensus of this board.

sark does need to win a road game though.  

7-5 is truly optimistic. 5-7 is in the realm of possibility. 

Sark fucking sucks

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Skipper said:

This board is so fucking bipolar.   We lose to Tech (we suck, won't win 4 games).  We beat WVU and blow out OU (playoff bound!!).  Now we're back to losing out.

This team is about what most of us thought it would be.    Capable of beating anyone in conference by double digits if we actually execute at a high level on offense.   But shitty enough on defense that we can absolutely lose to anyone if we implode offensively like we did in the 2nd half yesterday.   We lack depth on defense and flat out do not have an Ossai like playmaker that can take a game over.  The defense is improved enough to keep us in every game but they won't win it.  Especially when we are dealing with Absolute Shit and Biased Big 12 refs that are NEVER going to give us a blatant hold or benefit of the doubt on a PI.

We lost because our FR QB had one of his worst games probably at any level combined with absolutely horrid second half execution at all levels.  Even Bijan not immune to criticism as he has to see that blitz on the swing pass and know the ball is coming out fast.  He turns around that's a huge gain.   I don't want to watch 2nd half film but if I do I'm pretty sure you can find big mistakes across the board that contributed to 3 fucking points on our last 10 drives.

I don't have much confidence in winning these road games, any of them (including KU). Baylor is better than Iowa State. Sark's already shown he's capable of a five game losing streak. I sincerely hope I'm wrong.

54 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

He looked like shit vs Iowa state too. It’s an overreaction for sure. But Quinn has sucked shit for two games in a row.

Well Iowa St defense is the best in the B12 and OSU was his first real road game in 20 mph winds.  Oh and he’s a true freshman.  I will not be jumping to conclusions just yet.  I do have one question though how is it that other teams receivers make catches/adjustments to not great passes on other teams and UT’s act like if it isn’t right to them they can’t make an attempt to catch the ball.  I see receivers helping out their QBs all over the place but not at Texas.  It was the same when Card was in so I’m saying our receivers don’t seem too motivated to make a play.  Why is that?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, BigOrange1 said:

yep.  i was as frustrated as anyone yesterday but the meltdown is so fucking tired.  the "6-6 is optimistic" and "qbs regress under sark" takes are just so fucking stupid it makes me feel bad for the people who actually believe that shit.

this year has been about exactly what most of us predicted coming into the season.  if the team doesn't fall apart in november, we're gonna finish right around the preseason consensus of this board.

sark does need to win a road game though.  

I don’t know how some of these people make it through the day.

My bacon wasn’t crisp enough- I should divorce my wife.

My son got an A on a test - he’s going to be president one day.

My daughter got a D - she should be committed to a mental institute.

And that’s all before leaving the house for work!!

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, stork642 said:

Well Iowa St defense is the best in the B12 and OSU was his first real road game in 20 mph winds.  Oh and he’s a true freshman.  I will not be jumping to conclusions just yet.  I do have one question though how is it that other teams receivers make catches/adjustments to not great passes on other teams and UT’s act like if it isn’t right to them they can’t make an attempt to catch the ball.  I see receivers helping out their QBs all over the place but not at Texas.  It was the same when Card was in so I’m saying our receivers don’t seem too motivated to make a play.  Why is that?

If they don't attempt to catch, then it won't be counted as a dropped pass when they try and potentially drop it. It's all about padding individual stats for this team except for a few that we all know about.

• Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, Here’s the deal said:

I don’t know how some of these people make it through the day.

My bacon wasn’t crisp enough- I should divorce my wife.

My son got an A on a test - he’s going to be president one day.

My daughter got a D - she should be committed to a mental institute.

And that’s all before leaving the house for work!!

I agree with your points except for the bacon one.  That bacon better be crispy or shits is gonna hit the fan.  

• Hook 'Em 2

This is unbelievable....we lost a tight game on the road with a Freshman QB.  We have 4 games left and we will win at least 2 of them...maybe all of them.  Don't be a bunch of babies. We have made some huge strides this year but still have a lot of young players. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Just now, mop said:

This is unbelievable....we lost a tight game on the road with a Freshman QB.  We have 4 games left and we will win at least 2 of them...maybe all of them.  Don't be a bunch of babies. We have made some huge strides this year but still have a lot of young players. 

I cannot confidently say we will win any of our remaining games.

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I understand. The way we lost is discouraging (dead offense and tired defense in the 4th quarter) because it seems like an MO at this point. But we're also nothing special yet. We don't have the depth to be special. I think we'll eke out a bowl bid, which is a modest improvement over last year. If Sark isn't the guy, he'll eventually get fired, but let him at least try to land this recruiting class before we give in to despair and start blowing things up.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Still can't confidently say they will lose any of them either. I'm sure they will lose one or two of them, but fuck if I know which ones.

I don't know how anyone who pays enough attention to read the program to read the recruiting board felt any different about the program today than they did before kickoff or even up 34-24 with 17 minutes of game time left yesterday. It was the exact same script we've seen several times before, I don't know what else one would realistically be expecting. In that sense, yeah, the reaction is a little odd.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1