Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

28 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Coach Andrew Bather is the A&M coach making the statements... @ coachbather  Player Personnel Assistant at Texas A&M University

We'll be getting rid of these people here... First, Mr. Samir Naga... Naga... Naga... Bather...Not gonna work here anymore, anyway.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Shaggyhorn said:

Maybe. In todays NIL world, I’m not sure this is considered inducement as no specifics were discussed. It’s certainly in bad taste, and a better statement would be something like, “There are plenty of NIL deals waiting for elite Aggie players. Our alumni and fans are top of the charts for that. I can’t speak to specifics or even who will work with you individually, but the owners of those suites are some of the people putting it all together.”

Yes as if you can expect aggy football coach to speak like a Director of Outbound Marketing

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Laxtonto said:

After seeing Kelly "recruit" at LSU, i am starting to think just maybe he was the real problem for them that kept ND from not getting over the hump, even with all of their built in advantages in the CFP system.

The new ND coach is highly respected by players, recruits, parents and coaches. He’s going to wreck shop there. 

Some MHP feedback from his Cal trip... he and his family really loved it, loved the location/academic combo, love that he would be the focal point of his class, etc.  The usual platitudes.  Dad isn't pushing him to Houston.  Texas relevant info:

Texas, where he also took an official visit this month, has a lot of momentum since landing a commitment from five-star QB Arch Manning last week, but the Longhorns also already have three wide receivers committed in  Johntay Cook, Ryan Niblett and Jonah Wilson.

"I like my chance with them too just because they've got Arch Manning, great quarterback, and they've got a whole lot of other players and right now I think they're trying to build a championship-caliber team," Harrison-Pilot said.

"They're taking four because they're trying to restock at receiver, so I mean, if it gets to that point ... if it closes up then I go somewhere else where I know for sure I'm going to ball at."

3 minutes ago, Zhorn96 said:

Some MHP feedback from his Cal trip... he and his family really loved it, loved the location/academic combo, love that he would be the focal point of his class, etc.  The usual platitudes.  Dad isn't pushing him to Houston.  Texas relevant info:

Gotta believe Justin Wilcox would prefer him at safety, although I’m sure he’s telling MHP what he wants to hear in that regard. But why would you want to be a WR in that offense?

Just now, Duane Moore said:

Gotta believe Justin Wilcox would prefer him at safety, although I’m sure he’s telling MHP what he wants to hear in that regard. But why would you want to be a WR in that offense?

Totally agree... that offense blows beyond belief.  All new receivers this year and a new QB so if they show any improvement...maybe?  But yeah...

I just thought it was interesting about his comment about Texas only taking 4 WRs and they might fill up so he might have to move on regardless (the last part my interpretation)

• Hook 'Em 1

OB interview with Jalen Hale

TLDR he says we're top three but who knows

Spoiler

Like the rest of the recruiting world, wide receiver Jalen Hale took notice when Arch Manning committed to Texas last week. Hale had always had Texas floating around on his list, but with Manning now officially on board for the Longhorns, Hale says it makes Texas a more attractive option.

“It made me look at them even more. Arch, that’s a good quarterback,” Hale said. “He’s going to throw the ball and coach Sark is going to get you the ball in his offense. That’s what I’m looking at.”

A Rivals100 member out of Longview, Hale has taken official visits to both Georgia and Southern Cal. He says he’ll take his other three visits to Texas, Texas A&M and Alabama. The Bulldogs and Trojans currently sit atop his list because he’s been able to see those two programs up close during his official visits, but Hale said the Longhorns are definitely in the mix and Texas could have a chance to shake up that list as he finishes up his visits in the fall.

“Until I go back out there, I really won’t know. But they’re top three for sure,” Hale said of Texas.

Both Georgia and USC did a good job of impressing Hale when they had him on visits. The Bulldogs got the first crack at him on the first weekend of June and Hale said there was a lot to like about that visit.

“The highlights, they’ve got AD Mitchell at receiver, but really what I’m getting told, if I come in and compete I could play as a freshman. Really it’s the same thing everywhere, as long as I come in and compete,” Hale said. “At Georgia, what really stood out the most was the coaching staff, the players. Everything about the school. I just enjoyed it there.”

Southern Cal hosted Hale for a visit two weeks after the Georgia trip, and Hale has taken notice of USC’s recruiting success in the 2023 class.

“It’s Cali, so it’s a good area. I enjoyed it out there. It’s the same thing with them, it’s the coaching staff, the players,” Hale said. “Then you know they’ve got Zachariah Branch, Malachi Nelson committed. That’s another thing I look at.”

A four-star prospect, Hale ranks No. 75 on the Rivals100. He’s the nation’s 13th-ranked receiver prospect and is the No. 13-ranked player in the state of Texas. He says he has no firm deadline for a decision.

• Hook 'Em 3

IT percentages post-Arch

Spoiler

We said we’d recalibrate percentages after Texas landed Arch and pulled forward all the leans into the class.

Cedric Baxter Jr., RB, Orlando (FL) Edgewater
GH:74%. Choice relationship is strong.
JW: 65%. The Arch Effect is real, even before Arch publicly chose Texas. Texas, Miami, Florida, and Texas A&M have until August 10th to sway the nation’s best running back.
EN: 70%. So many factors set up well for Texas: Choice, Arch, Bijan, and the school.

Jaquaize Pettaway, WR, Houston (TX) Langham Creek
GH: 40%. Personality fit may be better in smaller environment.
JW: 35%. OU seems to be the trendy pick, but I believe Texas will still pursue the four-star even with Johntay Cook and Ryan Niblett in the boat.
EN: 30%. Texas can’t take them all and with Pettaway being a more difficult pull at this point, will they put in the work necessary to win? Not so sure.

Jalen Hale, WR, Longview (TX)
GH: 45%. This goes to 70% if Texas makes the push to close.
JW: 45%. This one increases to 65% if he visits Austin before he makes a decision.
EN: 45%. This one goes to 100% if he signs with Texas.

Jaden Greathouse, WR, Austin (TX) Westlake
GH: 55%. Watch Rudy on HULU, play wide receiver at Texas.
JW: 50%. It’s Texas or Notre Dame at this point. He’s mentioned committing in the summer and also potentially holding off until later in the year. Each time I think ND leads, he sneaks on UT’s campus for a visit.
EN: 55%. Notre Dame leads today but pushing his timeline back was smart. There’s no data on Marcus Freeman as a head coach and Sark just went 5-7. If UT’s offense is as explosive as it is on paper, this should be an easy call.

Mikal Harrison-Pilot, WR, Temple (TX)
GH: 65%. Wins on the field are still wanted, but everything else is in place.
JW: 70%. If MHP committed tomorrow, my percentage would be higher. But Harrison-Pilot will go through the process of taking his officials. And then probably pick Texas.
EN: 80%. It would be UT if he was announcing today. They need to get off to a good start in September.

Duce Robinson, TE, Phoenix (AZ) Pinnacle
GH: 16%. Just because Arch is trying.
JW: 15%. Southern California going to get a good one.
EN: 20%. Arch and Jeff Banks give UT somewhat of a chance.

Zalance Heard, OT, Monroe (LA) Neville
GH: 5%. Texas is currently looking in other directions.
JW: 5% LSU going to get a good one.
EN: 20%. Unfortunately the balance isn’t broken up among numerous schools, it’s 80% to LSU.

Miles McVay, OT, East St. Louis (IL)
GH: 20%. If late July visit happens, revisit.
JW: 25%. This obviously increases once he visits. Kyle Flood has a hard time saying no to prospects like McVay.
EN: 25%. McVay is one of those ’out of nowhere’ prospects showing interest post-Arch commitment.

Payton Kirkland, OT, Orlando (FL) Dr. Phillips
GH: 20%. Probably needed to get him in last week.
JW: 15%.
EN: 15%.

Markis Deal, DT, Garland (TX) Naaman Forest
GH: 25%. Not sure Texas will have room when Deal wants to ideally decide.
JW: 30%
EN: 20%. He’s a different prospect as a D-tackle than O-lineman.

Terrance Green, DT, Cypress (TX) Cy Woods
GH: 75%. Close to home, tidal wave of momentum, Texas prioritizing as a defensive lineman.
JW: 75%. Once Texas jumped in, he’s felt like the Longhorns to lose. Oregon certainly tried to change that.
EN: 75%. Proximity and the kid profiles to UT. Bo Davis should win this one. He may not look like it now, but he’s good insurance in case they miss on Sydir Mitchell.

Tausili Akana, EDGE, Kahuku (HI) Skyridge
GH: 45%. Don’t have the correct feel on this one to ascend the percentage.
JW: 35%. Liona Lefau jumping in the boat can help here.
EN: 60%. Maybe my read is off, but the data points of Lefau and his sister transferring to UT seem to be fate. He’ll visit in the fall.

Derion Gullette, EDGE, Marlin (TX)
GH: 80%. Texas has been prioritizing for months. Relationships matter in this recruitment.
JW: 80%. Texas players and coaches have slowly built a strong relationships with Gullette and family, and have pushed through in the last few weeks. Total team effort.
EN: 85%. Gullette is still on commitment watch, but likely not this week. It’s possible he announces within the next two weeks, however.

Colton Vasek, EDGE, Austin (TX) Westlake
GH: 53%. Texas got a lot tougher to say no to in the last week.
JW: 45%. It’s Texas or Oregon right now. I think the Ducks lead today, but the Horns haven’t stopped pushing since his official visit in early June.
EN:

Braylan Shelby, EDGE, Friendswood (TX)
GH: 57%. Close to home is a factor, and Texas answered all the questions outside football. He really does like USC/Los Angeles.
JW: 55%. USC has done well and would win out if he was a California kid.
EN: 60%. The Vitruvian man for Edge is a better fit in PK’s defense and the school sets up well for him. Some kids just want to get further away from home. We’ll see if that’s Shelby. He and his family are deliberating and then will decide.

David Hicks, DL, Katy (TX) Paetow
GH: 25%. This one plays out a while. Check back in November.
JW: 20%. Texas A&M leads, but Texas doesn’t care and won’t let up.
EN: 40%. If UT wins on the field the Horns will become the favorite, imo. He’ll play immediately at Texas while A&M has loaded up on the D-line for the foreseeable future or portal takes its toll. OU is going to struggle on the field this season.

Hunter Osborne, DL, Trussville (AL) Hewitt-Trussville
GH: 35%. Parents like idea of Texas. Kid likes idea of Clemson. Parents may not love idea of Clemson. Tennessee visit wasn’t great, but closer to home could be in play late.
JW: 40%. Clemson looks good here, and Texas needs a few breaks.
EN: 40%. Osborne will know everything he needs to know about Texas via Justice Finkley. That benefits UT. Just get one of Osborne or Vasek.

Sydir Mitchell, DL, Oradell (NJ) Bergen Catholic
GH: 44%. Texas commits and staff all in on this large human. Texas A&M and Georgia have been considered the favorites for weeks.
JW: 35%. Thinking Athens or College Station.
EN: 40%. I haven’t been hearing much A&M noise of late and it’s hard to see me pick the Aggies over Georgia.

Anthony Hill, LB, Denton (TX) Ryan
GH: 60%. The play on the field will still matter, but that is likely to come after a commitment. Momentum on the Longhorns side.
JW: 60%. Texas was steady for the longest, but the Arch Manning commitment pushed this back towards burnt orange. I bet we know in early August.
EN: 60%. His July official visit to Aggieland looms large.

Malik Muhammad, CB, Dallas (TX) South Oak Cliff
GH: 62%. Malik wants to be a Longhorn. What does the circle desire?
JW: 65%. It should be Texas, but this is a through-the-whistle recruitment.
EN: 75%. If he wasn’t an athlete this kid would go to Texas 9/10 times. Can’t entirely rule out A&M or Nick Saban.

Jordan Matthews, CB, Baton Rouge (LA) Woodlawn
GH: 70%. Trendy baby.
JW: 70%. Alabama’s offer is probably the only hurdle remaining for Texas to get this Pelican State product.
EN: 75%. If he extends his timeline into the season and Alabama pushes, this number could drop. If he announces this summer, he’s 85% to the Horns.

Javien Toviano, CB, Arlington (TX) Martin
GH: 45%. This one has some Arch support. Keep recruiting through the whistle.
JW: 40%. The Arch Effect could help here, but Texas really needs to get him back on campus to keep this renewed optimism.
EN: 50%. Texas has led twice. Key here is to lead when he’s ready to decide. Texas has a very good chance to time that right.

Caleb Downs, S, Hoschton (GA) Mill Creek
GH: 5%. If the visit happens, check back in with me.
JW: 5%.
EN: 10%. I think the visit will happen because of Arch, but that’s about all I got on this one.

More targets will emerge as the staff strategically exploits its newfound national profile.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Vito Andolini said:

Quote from Jalen Hale, regarding USC visit:

“It’s Cali, so it’s a good area.”

So, they never actually took him to the SC campus. 

SC's dumped resources into at least making the northern approach to campus nice and more postcard-style LA. And they're definitely not taking recruits below Expo Park.

1 hour ago, UncleSonny said:

Nothing will come from that clip, and honestly I don’t really think anything should. The “no inducement” thing has always been pretty vague and clearly bullshit. 

It does make Jimbo’s self righteousness press conference even more ridiculous than it actually was though. Maybe he’ll pop a couple adderalls and double down on how they’ve never bought anyone today, that could be fun. 

Agree. It’s funny to see but not enough to do anything on

Just now, texifornia said:

SC's dumped resources into at least making the northern approach to campus nice and more postcard-style LA. And they're definitely not taking recruits below Expo Park.

I made the mistake of attempting to eat at the Carl’s Jr. on Vermont and King. A homeless dude f’d up the bathroom like you wouldn’t believe. I’m sure the literal campus itself is paradise, but yeah, don’t venture too far.

I missed my freeway entrance going home from the @USC game and it wasn’t pretty. My options were to drive around the hood a bit looking for another way on, or drive my rental car onto a toll road w/o a toll tag knowing I’d get hit with a $100 fee. I chose the latter. My wife and kids were with me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

27 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Doesn’t matter. That area is sketchy as hell as soon as you walk off campus.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Bob Lives! said:

Malik is the highest rated four-star in the 247 composite. Does the BOMC automatically bump him to five-star after the Texas commit?

Has the 247 composite added On3 rankings yet? If not, people need to stop using 247. On3 is the best rankings service by a good bit, and they have their own consensus rankings which include all 4 major outlets. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 2

29 minutes ago, Sal said:

Doesn’t matter. That area is sketchy as hell as soon as you walk off campus.

Yep.  During school we went to case competition hosted on campus and they were very adamant about not going more than a block off campus to get an Uber.  There were never less than 3-4 police cars within eyesight when walking Vermont.  

54 minutes ago, Bob Lives! said:

I missed my freeway entrance going home from the @USC game and it wasn’t pretty. My options were to drive around the hood a bit looking for another way on, or drive my rental car onto a toll road w/o a toll tag knowing I’d get hit with a $100 fee. I chose the latter. My wife and kids were with me.

User name checks out 

43 minutes ago, Bob Lives! said:

Malik is the highest rated four-star in the 247 composite. Does the BOMC automatically bump him to five-star after the Texas commit?

19 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Has the 247 composite added On3 rankings yet? If not, people need to stop using 247. On3 is the best rankings service by a good bit, and they have their own consensus rankings which include all 4 major outlets. 

10 minutes ago, Keef said:

I think 247 also weights their rankings a bit more than the other services in its composite.

Are y'all seriously worried about recruiting rankings?!? In June? What does it matter?

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Bob Lives! said:

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Hornlover said:

Are y'all seriously worried about recruiting rankings?!? In June? What does it matter?

Not sure how trying to get people to use the most accurate service means I’m worried about rankings, but based on your reasoning, why don’t you go ahead and use Rivals since you’re not worried about the rankings? I’m sure you’ll have some hawt takes on highly rated recruits you think the staff should be recruiting harder. 

• Hook 'Em 1