Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Except that isn't what you were told. So you're either being presumptively obtuse or willfully ignorant. All you were "told" is that the checks weren't clearing the way they were "expected" to be clearing in some form. You didn't get any further details on that, and you have no idea what it could mean.

In any event, they're actively participating in the "NIL" side of things, so you should have at least a vague notion that maybe the extreme premise that they're flatly not paying anyone is wrongheaded.

I would suggest that if you are being paid in checks that don’t clear then you aren’t being paid. But I’m sure I’m missing something. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 16

41 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Kyler Murray hype was ketch trying to drive subs

Ketch is a dipshit, but Kyler and Damarkus Lodge did take a secret visit and then tweeted out pictures of Texas jerseys, that alone was enough to get this board to start frothing. 

• Hook 'Em 4

17 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Bitcoin dropping 75% from last fall have anything to do with this? It’s all fine and good as a way to conceal payments until you realize you have Dutch Tulips in your account and not cash. 

You may be on to something.

1 hour ago, ATXhorn17 said:

As a $9.95er, he’s incentivized to have a cheery outlook on the Horn’s prospects. But from what I’ve seen—Nahlin, Gerry, and the IT guys are right more often than most other “insiders”…

Nahlin was unwavering in calling Arch to Texas for months. He stuck to it when everyone panicked about Arch’s Mexico pic with the UGA NIL booster.

I love Gerry to death. He can do no wrong, but Nahlin being unwavering about Arch doesn't make him "credible", it makes his guess be correct. I like Bobby, too, but Eric and their "X's and O's expert" (their words) are fucking idiots. I'll take anyone on Surly being more right on recruits than Nahlin 10/10 times, all day. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

I love Gerry to death. He can do no wrong, but Nahlin being unwavering about Arch doesn't make him "credible", it makes his guess be correct. I like Bobby, too, but Eric and their "X's and O's expert" (their words) are fucking idiots. I'll take anyone on Surly being more right on recruits than Nahlin 10/10 times, all day. 

Little harsh on Nahlin. No one loves the smell of his own farts than him but he did have legitimate sourcing on some of this arch stuff. He’s way overconfident on way too much shit (yes I’d say that to his face and have lol) but IT in general is easily the best out of the group of 995ers and if you love Gerry there’s zero reason to not believe the rest of them, not like they are keeping info to themselves and not sharing with their coworkers

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Irieguy said:

I would suggest that if you are being paid in checks that don’t clear then you aren’t being paid. But I’m sure I’m missing something. 

That is one of the interesting things about under-the-table money. There is no contract. If you tell a recruit that you are going to pay his handler $700K, what does that actually mean? How much will the handler charge for his handling fee and how much will he give to the recruit and how much will he give to the recruit's family? Is the $700K due upfront or is it based on incentives or based on a yearly sum or escalating yearly sums whereby a senior recruit gets paid more than he would as a freshman? What are the consequences if the money isn't paid in full when the recruit arrives on campus? There is a lot of room for interpretation of the verbal agreement by both parties. And this interpretation can lead to conflict between parties.

Edited by Bevo
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, RGBIII said:

Little harsh on Nahlin. No one loves the smell of his own farts than him but he did have legitimate sourcing on some of this arch stuff. He’s way overconfident on way too much shit (yes I’d say that to his face and have lol) but IT in general is easily the best out of the group of 995ers and if you love Gerry there’s zero reason to not believe the rest of them, not like they are keeping info to themselves and not sharing with their coworkers

I've just seen Nahlin whiff too many times to believe his shit anymore. As for the others, they're great, and IT as a whole is great, but it's just Nahlin that needs to tap the breaks and stop being so overconfident on recruits. I'm not doubting he has some sources, I just think he hears a kid likes Texas and then he's telling folks on the board Texas has a real good shot until they don't. And fwiw, I don't actually hate him, I just hate that he's so confident and gets people's hopes up too fucking much. I like Justin, tho. He's cool to listen to. I actually enjoy IT's YouTube channel. 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Nahlin is a certified cunt regardless of his sourcing. 

Gerry is worth the price of admission.

• Hook 'Em 2

15 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

I've just seen Nahlin whiff too many times to believe his shit anymore. As for the others, they're great, and IT as a whole is great, but it's just Nahlin that needs to tap the breaks and stop being so overconfident on recruits. I'm not doubting he has some sources, I just think he hears a kid likes Texas and then he's telling folks on the board Texas has a real good shot until they don't. And fwiw, I don't actually hate him, I just hate that he's so confident and gets people's hopes up too fucking much. I like Justin, tho. He's cool to listen to. I actually enjoy IT's YouTube channel. 

These guys make calls on the future whims of teenagers. They are going to be wrong. I happen to like IT. I respect that they will make a call. If their sources are correct (see Manning), they look like studs. If the sources are off, they look like idiots (see Banks). Nobody with half a sack will ever approach 100% on recruiting calls. I don’t pay them, because I accept that fact and view it all as a nice distraction from the real world 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Codaxx said:

These guys make calls on the future whims of teenagers. They are going to be wrong. I happen to like IT. I respect that they will make a call. If their sources are correct (see Manning), they look like studs. If the sources are off, they look like idiots (see Banks). Nobody with half a sack will ever approach 100% on recruiting calls. I don’t pay them, because I accept that fact and view it all as a nice distraction from the real world 

Very well said, and I concur. Appreciate the response 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

this should help with recruiting Desoto. Another pro-texas voice for the kids there.

I hate that logo so much. Mascot shouldn't be part of the initials. The Guardians and Bengals are the only major league teams that do that stupid shit. And who wants to be like Ohio?

Edited by texifornia

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Except that isn't what you were told. So you're either being presumptively obtuse or willfully ignorant. All you were "told" is that the checks weren't clearing the way they were "expected" to be clearing in some form. You didn't get any further details on that, and you have no idea what it could mean.

In any event, they're actively participating in the "NIL" side of things, so you should have at least a vague notion that maybe the extreme premise that they're flatly not paying anyone is wrongheaded.

Why not both?

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, texifornia said:

It means you've been looking at aggy related sites so that's the targeted ads the 3rd-party company is serving you.

None of that has any connection to Horns247.

Damn it, you know, 247 must have got me when I clicked on their recruiting class to see how shitty it was after the decommit. Fuck!

Edited by mannewers

Justin Wells:

Inside Texas looks at the latest from Anthony Hill Jr, David Hicks Jr, Jordan Matthews, Colton Vasek, and Jasiah Wagoner for you Wednesday recruiting intel from the Forty Acres.

Anthony Hill Jr, LB, Denton (Texas) Ryan: The On3 Consensus five-star dropped his top two list this evening with Texas and Texas A&M making the final cut.

Fresh off his official visit to Texas last weekend, the Hill family was very complimentary of the Longhorns staff and trip. When Cooper Manning, father of Texas commit Arch Manning is texting you during your trip,” We want Anthony Hill,” it can have a strong influence.

Hill Jr will still take his official to Texas A&M in late July for its BBQ event. Then we anticipate a decision not too long after, or as Anthony Hill Sr tells Inside Texas it’ll be go time.

David Hicks Jr, DL, Katy (Texas) Paetow:

On3′ top-rated prospect in Texas for 2023 is dropping a top 7 list on Friday. Sources close to the recruitment indicate Texas will be on that list.

Texas A&M is the likely leader today, and after taking Katy Paetow teammate, LB Daymion Sanford, this week the Aggies have potentially positioned themselves even better.

But the Horns hold a new variable; the post-Arch effect. Since last Thursday, you can’t rule anything or anyone out for the Longhorns this cycle. 

Bo Davis and Jeff Banks continue to push for the five-star’s services, but getting him back on campus would be the only indication of progress in this pursuit. 

Colton Vasek, EDGE, Austin (Texas) Westlake:

We’re hearing it’s down to two schools – Texas and Oregon – for the 6-foot-6, 225-pound Longhorn legacy. His father, Brian Vasek, played defensive line for the Horns and coaches him at Westlake 15 miles from UT’s campus. 

One source indicated he felt that the hometown Horns are in a good position following his official visit three weeks ago. Another stated leaving the state might be his preference, but that was pre-Arch pledge. Again, Manning is a new variable in addition to the ever-growing class and can’t be overstated. 

His timeline is up in the air right now, but we wouldn’t be surprised if he showed up at the Texas BBQ gathering in late July. 

Jordan Matthews, CB, Baton Rouge (La.) Woodlawn:

This is the definition of a fluid recruitment. The 6-foot-1, 175-pound On3 four-star recently took officials to Stanford, Michigan, and Tennessee. As we wrote yesterday, his final two official trips will be Alabama in week one and Texas in week two. 

Last night, UT quarterback pledge Arch Manning reached out to the Texas corner target and has his ear and attention. Derek Williams called Matthews multiple times over the last few days as well, so the #BootUp bunch is doing their part for their region.

He’ll likely be back in Austin for the late July BBQ, but his timeline could be adjusted. He originally preferred a summer commitment and still could follow that timeline, especially with the way UT’s 2023 class is filling up. He’s also contemplating a decision in September after his last two officials because the Alabama offer slightly shook up his recruitment. Nick Saban tends to have that effect. 

Again, at the rate #AllGas23 is loading up, Matthews might have to stick to that original pledge decision. A fluid recruitment, indeed. 

Jasiah Wagoner, CB Spanaway (Wa.) Spanaway Lake:

The 5-foot-11, 160-pound Pacific Northwest prospect included Texas in his top four yesterday, along with Oregon, OU, and Cal.

Wagoner visited Austin recently with his Heir Football group and enjoyed the atmosphere and environment. But we don’t think Texas is pushing at this point. 

With eyes on Malik Muhammad, Jordan Matthews, and Javien Toviano, Wagoner is likely looking from the outside. 

7 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

"Hello? Debbie? Yeah, Debbie's here, who's this? Well, Ralph, uh, Debbie can't talk right now, my dick's in her mouth. How about if I have her call you back later when I'm done?"

can you keep this classless shit off the recruiting board

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3
  • Fuck You 2

46 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I hate that logo so much. Mascot shouldn't be part of the initials. The Guardians and Bengals are the only major league teams that do that stupid shit. And who wants to be like Ohio?

I've commissioned Hayes Fawcett to redesign the Desoto logo. You're gonna love it!