Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

1 hour ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

I'd love to see it but at some point the game theory for croots says not to join a class with too many other players at your position

The following counters would be 30 and I imagine it'd be tough to add more guys past this

QB 1

RB 2

WR 5

TE 2

OL 5

DL 5

LB 4

DB 6

You could easily add a TE, an athlete or two, and go with 3-4 DT AND 3-4 Edge

• Hook 'Em 1

So there's a lot of talk about the 3 stars bringing down our average. I think that begs the question as to what a realistic ideal class looks like at every position (including recruitments we already lost but in theory had a decent shot at) and how we measure up to that. I'll be generally operating off of Bodacious Bevo's position counts because I largely agree with it with a few changes.

Realistic Ideal

Offense

QB: Arch

RB: Baxter, Wisner

WR: Cook, Pettaway, Niblett, Hale, Greathouse

TE: Duce, Kaiuway, Randle

OL: Sewell, Heard, Deal, Robinson, Chatman, Reed

(17)

Defense

DL: Hicks, Spencer???

EDGE: Gullete, Shelby, Vasek

LB: Ant Hill, S'Maje, Lefau, +1

CB: Toviano, Malik, Matthews, Bell

S: Williams, Johnson

ATH: MHP

(16)

===

(33)

QB: nailed the realistic ideal with the best QB in the country and a true bellcow on the recruiting trail

RB: looks like we're in great position to nail the RB1 of the class and have a great RB2 behind him

WR: Got Cook and Niblett already. Going to lose Greenhouse to ND, oh well. Pettaway is still on the board. Hale is looking good, but has unknown character concerns or something causing schools to hesitate. Jonah Wilson seems ok enough, though had a weaker junior year production wise than I would have liked given his solid sophomore year post-conversion from QB to WR.

TE: If we somehow pull Duce it'll be incredible. If not. the TE class will be largely forgettable to me and I'll just hope 2 years from now they'll have been well coached and serve as a surprise breakout in their junior year.

OL: Not a huge fan of Stroh or Goosby, but with no counters it isn't the worst idea to offer them a spot and see what level they can get to. Cojoe is young but has potential as well, but isn't on the same level as the ideals either. Chatman was a great get though and I trust Flood on these evals way more than I trust myself or scouts. Heard seems to be trending towards LSU which I dislike. Sewell is out.

DL: In better shape than expected for Hicks and have Spencer locked up.

EDGE: In decent position for all candidates. Hope to see some start to commit.

LB: Went from a position of weakness and doubt before Lefau to a position of hope at this point. Major position of need has a chance to get filled with talent

CB: In a good position for Toviano, should see a commitment from Malik soon, Matthews and Bell would both also be great to have.

S:Already have both safeties committed with 5* Williams dropping as part of Arch-mas and 4* Johnson having committed earlier.

ATH: MHP is a fun athlete, we're in a good position for him, and I can't wait to see him play for us and see what he can do

• Hook 'Em 1

Fixed for Dark Users

Spoiler

So there's a lot of talk about the 3 stars bringing down our average. I think that begs the question as to what a realistic ideal class looks like at every position (including recruitments we already lost but in theory had a decent shot at) and how we measure up to that. I'll be generally operating off of Bodacious Bevo's position counts because I largely agree with it with a few changes.

Realistic Ideal

Offense

(17)

Defense

(16)

===

(33)

QB: nailed the realistic ideal with the best QB in the country and a true bellcow on the recruiting trail

RB: looks like we're in great position to nail the RB1 of the class and have a great RB2 behind him

WR: Got Cook and Niblett already. Going to lose Greenhouse to ND, oh well. Pettaway is still on the board. Hale is looking good, but has unknown character concerns or something causing schools to hesitate. Jonah Wilson seems ok enough, though had a weaker junior year production wise than I would have liked given his solid sophomore year post-conversion from QB to WR.

TE: If we somehow pull Duce it'll be incredible. If not. the TE class will be largely forgettable to me and I'll just hope 2 years from now they'll have been well coached and serve as a surprise breakout in their junior year.

OL: Not a huge fan of Stroh or Goosby, but with no counters it isn't the worst idea to offer them a spot and see what level they can get to. Cojoe is young but has potential as well, but isn't on the same level as the ideals either. Chatman was a great get though and I trust Flood on these evals way more than I trust myself or scouts. Heard seems to be trending towards LSU which I dislike. Sewell is out.

LB: Went from a position of weakness and doubt before Lefau to a position of hope at this point. Major position of need has a chance to get filled with talent

CB: In a good position for Toviano, should see a commitment from Malik soon, Matthews and Bell would both also be great to have.

S:Already have both safeties committed with 5* Williams dropping as part of Arch-mas and 4* Johnson having committed earlier.

ATH: MHP is a fun athlete, we're in a good position for him, and I can't wait to see him play for us and see what he can do

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, TheFlyingBoat said:

Realistic Ideal

Offense

(17)

Defense

(16)

===

(33)

huh?

10 minutes ago, TheFlyingBoat said:

Realistic Ideal

Offense

(17)

Defense

(16)

===

(33)

I don’t think there’s “a lot” of talk about 3 stars bringing down our average. We have the #1 overall recruit and it’s only June, plus the #3 overall in Louisiana. Anybody and I mean anybody complaining about recruiting should be drug into their respective streets and treated like ketch’s toilet, abused violently. Just enjoy this high for a minute, for fucks sake. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Poe It Up said:

I am not holding my breath on this one. Hill has unofficially visited aggy three times and gone to two aggy camps while making one official visit to the good guys. It looks like he he still has an official to go at aggy.  As far as I am concerned I am going to tell myself his Texas likes and narrowing it to us and aggy is his desire to troll us. Sure seems to be an aggy at heart, even in the story he spells out exactly why aggy is better than Texas since they have a great DL. If it happens great but I rather build my hopes up on other long shots that may actually be looking at us with an open mind.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

CTJ going to have to start calling him Five Star Steve

Everyone is calling this the Arch bump, but I don’t think it is a coincidence that recruiting took off when CTJ called him 16 win Steve 

• Haha 5

4 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

I am not holding my breath on this one. Hill has unofficially visited aggy three times and gone to two aggy camps while making one official visit to the good guys. It looks like he he still has an official to go at aggy.  As far as I am concerned I am going to tell myself his Texas likes and narrowing it to us and aggy is his desire to troll us. Sure seems to be an aggy at heart, even in the story he spells out exactly why aggy is better than Texas since they have a great DL. If it happens great but I rather build my hopes up on other long shots that may actually be looking at us with an open mind.

everyone GIF

7 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

0C12216F-4D3E-4A19-A03A-FD2F5A08BCC3.thumb.png.6df6f4c8e37e96326d29eb3289f3f7f4.png

• Haha 6

Goosby is the best OL we have committed IMO.

There is no difference in the 250th ranked 4-star and the 900th ranked 3-star. It's all evaluation at that point. It's one of the reasons we've sucked for so long. Way too many overrated "4-stars". 

Top 100 players win championships. Add in some well evaluated prospects. I don't care where they are ranked after about 125-150. 

Check the film, measurements, speed, etc. And you will still be wrong half the time.

For instance, Niblett has serious potential but has a lot of question marks. He caught like 9 balls last year and is supposedly known for drops. He's also very small (did he grow? one service has him at 6' now). That tells me we need one more polished speed receiver in this class. It's all about balance.

We are making improvement with Manning, Williams and Cook. I like the strategy at offensive line. That position, more than any other position, is all about evaluation and having a plan.

• Hook 'Em 2

24 minutes ago, TheFlyingBoat said:

Realistic Ideal

Offense

(17)

Defense

(16)

===

(33)

That's certainly ideal. But any list including Hicks, at this point, is not realistic. 

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

Good Lord, he might end up going to aggy, but he has legit friends on the Texas team,  he has no reason to troll them.

Not everything is some conspiracy. He wants to stay in state and we have an insane amount of momentum right now, so we made his top two.

14 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

You’re not wrong. I just think it’ll be easier to say no to Jimbo than the Mannings. 

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Poe It Up said:

You’re not wrong. I just think it’ll be easier to say no to Jimbo than the Mannings. 

Cooper Manning texting Hill's Dad may go a long way but the kid seems to really like aggy. Then again Peterson and Ewers were flipped from what the heart desired. I just don't want to get my hopes up like I did with the Murray but you guys seem hell bent on changing my mind.

• Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, Sandbagging Steve said:

Goosby is the best OL we have committed IMO.

There is no difference in the 250th ranked 4-star and the 900th ranked 3-star. It's all evaluation at that point. It's one of the reasons we've sucked for so long. Way too many overrated "4-stars". 

Top 100 players win championships. Add in some well evaluated prospects. I don't care where they are ranked after about 125-150. 

Check the film, measurements, speed, etc. And you will still be wrong half the time.

For instance, Niblett has serious potential but has a lot of question marks. He caught like 9 balls last year and is supposedly known for drops. He's also very small (did he grow? one service has him at 6' now). That tells me we need one more polished speed receiver in this class. It's all about balance.

We are making improvement with Manning, Williams and Cook. I like the strategy at offensive line. That position, more than any other position, is all about evaluation and having a plan.

Username checks out

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

I actually agree with Nahlin on this one.

Take this for whatever you think it is worth, but:

1) Texas never had much of a shot with Kyler Murray. Getting your hopes up on that one is on you.

2) Adrian Peterson is your "Peterson" reference? Any hype around him having his heart in going to Texas is sooner hyped silliness.

3) Hill likes Texas. He's leaning Texas in a big way. ATM knows this and it's why they're burning the OV juice in July for him. Does that mean he calls it for Texas in August? No. Lot can happen between now and then. That said, money isn't going to be a differentiator on this one. He's going to have to love College Station and Ritz Bitz a fuckton in order to spurn Arch Manning and Austin. I like UT's shot here, but I do think the UT guys covering this are overconfident in the scope of the Texas "lead". 

So, would you confidence in Hill be something like 60.4279% chance? Approximately?

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I actually agree with Nahlin on this one.

Take this for whatever you think it is worth, but:

1) Texas never had much of a shot with Kyler Murray. Getting your hopes up on that one is on you.

2) Adrian Peterson is your "Peterson" reference? Any hype around him having his heart in going to Texas is sooner hyped silliness.

3) Hill likes Texas. He's leaning Texas in a big way. ATM knows this and it's why they're burning the OV juice in July for him. Does that mean he calls it for Texas in August? No. Lot can happen between now and then. That said, money isn't going to be a differentiator on this one. He's going to have to love College Station and Ritz Bitz a fuckton in order to spurn Arch Manning and Austin. I like UT's shot here, but I do think the UT guys covering this are overconfident in the scope of the Texas "lead". 

Any chance we get Hill back on campus before his decision?

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Nahlin is a fucking dipshit. Anything he says is almost always wrong. He doesn't know shit what Hill is gonna do other than what Hill said about announcing. He's a rube. Just like he was 90% sure about Mathis. 

As a $9.95er, he’s incentivized to have a cheery outlook on the Horn’s prospects. But from what I’ve seen—Nahlin, Gerry, and the IT guys are right more often than most other “insiders”…

Nahlin was unwavering in calling Arch to Texas for months. He stuck to it when everyone panicked about Arch’s Mexico pic with the UGA NIL booster.

Edited by ATXhorn17
  • Like 3

30 minutes ago, Irieguy said:

But I was told aggy isn’t paying anymore. 

The best part about NIL is that aggy is suffering the same pain cartels have, bags of cash are still peanuts compared to wired money, money that does not need to be laundered.

26 minutes ago, Irieguy said:

But I was told aggy isn’t paying anymore. 

Except that isn't what you were told. So you're either being presumptively obtuse or willfully ignorant. All you were "told" is that the checks weren't clearing the way they were "expected" to be clearing in some form. You didn't get any further details on that, and you have no idea what it could mean.

In any event, they're actively participating in the "NIL" side of things, so you should have at least a vague notion that maybe the extreme premise that they're flatly not paying anyone is wrongheaded.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1