Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

2 minutes ago, Vito Andolini said:

Other than the linemen who wanted to go on the same day to represent unit cohesiveness, they are letting each high profile kid have his own day. I’m betting Gullette Thursday. I’m not expecting anything additional tonight

Apparently IT said it’s not Gullette

Gerry Nuggets:

Texas Longhorns Thursday AM recruiting nuggets

Gerry Hamilton•about 3 hours

Article written by:Gerry Hamilton

GHamilton_On3

(Chad Simmons/On3)

The Texas Longhorns begin Thursday with the No. 2 ranked class in the On3 Consensus team rankings.

Texas vaulted to the No. 2 class Wednesday with the commitment of On3 Consensus 4-star wide receiver Johntay Cook II. The Longhorns now have one On3 Consensus 5-star and 10 On3 Consensus 4-stars in the fold with a number of top targets remaining.

Inside Texas dives into the latest this morning.

Texas and 5-star Duce Robinson

On3’s Chad Simmons reported from Los Angeles that On3 Consensus 5-star tight end Duce Robinson will make an official visit to Texas September 10. The 6-foot-6, 230-pounder has been in communication with Arch Manning, and Texas tight ends coach Jeff Banks. USC is considered the favorite over Texas, Alabama and Georgia headed into the fall official visits. This is a recruit through the whistle, cherry on top scenario.

Texas top targets remaining

The Longhorns are swinging for the fences in the 2023 class with the momentum building. Inside Texas will give thoughts on percentages on many of the remaining targets later this morning. But here is a snap shot of the most wanted remaining with the On3 Consensus ranking featured.

To answer the question, Texas is certainly now in play for the No. 1 ranked class in the 2023 cycle.

No. 7 DL David Hicks, Katy (Texas) Paetow – On3 Consensus 5-star

No. 13 S Caleb Downs, Hoschton (Ga.) Mill Creek – On3 Consensus 5-star

No. 14 LB Anthony Hill, Denton (Texas) Ryan – On3 Consensus 5-star

No. 17 TE Duce Robinson, Phoenix (Az.) Pinnacle – On3 Consensus 5-star

No. 28 S/N Javien Toviano, Arlington (Texas) Martin

No. 43 RB Cedric Baxter Jr., Orlando (Fla.) Edgewater

No. 50 CB Malik Muhammad, Dallas (Texas) South Oak Cliff

No. 62 WR Jaquaize Pettaway, Houston (Texas) Langham Creek

No. 71 EDGE Tausili Akana, Kahuku (Hi.) Skyridge

No. 76 WR Jalen Hale, Longview (Texas) High

No. 88 DL/IOL Markis Deal, Garland (Texas) Naaman Forest

No. 108 DL Hunter Osborne, Trussville (Ala.) Hewitt-Trussville

No. 121 EDGE/LB Derion Gullette, Teague (Texas) High

No. 126 WR Jaden Greathouse, Austin (Texas) Westlake

No. 131 CB Jordan Matthews, Baton Rouge (La.) Woodlawn

No. 151 WR Mikal Harrison-Pilot, Temple (Texas) High

No. 179 OT Miles McVay, East St. Louis (Ill.) High

No. 183 EDGE Colton Vasek, Austin (Texas) Westlake

No. 186 EDGE Braylan Shelby, Friendswood (Texas) High

No. 265 DL Jamarious Brown, Moss Point (Miss.) High

No. 279 DL Terrance Green, Cypress (Texas) Cy Woods

No. 321 DL Sydir Mitchell, Oradell (N.J.) Bergen Catholic

Defensive line update

Inside Texas broke the news the last two days that On3 Consensus 4-star defensive lineman Markis Deal and Terrance Green were scheduled to be in Austin July 28 weekend. The Longhorns chances are better with the 6-foot-5, 275-pound Green currently. And Green is likely to make a decision sooner than Deal, who wants to make a pair of fall official visits to Georgia and Texas.

Don’t sleep on Texas’ offer Wednesday to Jamarious Brown out of Mississippi. This is a prospect that has a very high ceiling in the mold of Kristopher Ross in the 2022 cycle, but much more raw. The one thing that could knock Brown out is a decision earlier than expected by On3 Consensus 4-star Hunter Osborne. Osborne is expected to decide out of Tennessee, Texas and Clemson in August, currently. Inside Texas broke the news last night that Brown is scheduled to visit the last weekend in July.

Make no mistake, On3 Consensus 4-star Sydir Mitchell is a very high priority. Texas is working overtime on this one to beat out Texas A&M and Georgia. The communication has been strong this week.

Texas and Cedric Baxter Jr.

Northing has changed on my end. The On3 RPM pick stands with Tashard Choice having a very tight bond with the On300 No. 1 ranked running back in the country.

• Hook 'Em 1

Nahlin Anthony Hill Jr:

If this is news to you you’re not paying attention, but Denton Ryan‘s Anthony Hill whittled his top schools down to Texas and Texas A&M.

Visual evidence:

He had room for three schools in the edit but left out OU

Recruitniks from both fan bases have sold Texas short throughout the process, but here come the Horns. On the heels of a sensational visit and nearly unheard of momentum, the Texas staff has made up ground rather quickly. But here’s the thing, if this was 2010 Mack Brown recruiting, Hill is exactly the sort of person you’d expect to find his way to Austin.

It’s not 2010 Mack (thankfully) but that sort of recruiting perception is returning to Texas despite Steve Sarkisian going 5-7 in his first year. Landing Arch Manning will do that for you, but these coaches have skins on the wall and can build relationships, too.

One of the truisms for recruiting is great players want to play with great players. Hill, and a few others like Mikal Harrison-Pilot and David Hicks weren’t going to be the first guys in the boat. They want to know who will be in the class with them, and in a perfect world, see a quality product on the field. There’s still skepticism out there with some players, justifiably so. Perhaps not coincidentally, each of those three players is also the son of a high school football coach. But I digress.

UT versus A&M is going to bring out the egos and the idiots, but it should be a ton of fun to cover. All thins being equal, I like UT’s chances.

We’ll let this recruitment breathe a little bit, but late July and August will be fun.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

No one at IT is worse than Ian Boyd, but Joe Cook is close. Wells, Nahlin, Gerry, and the godfather are fine.

Joe Cook is literally a beat writer and pretty good at it imho.

Or maybe you prefer the other clowns doing beat coverage for the other sites

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, NoName said:

Joe Cook is literally a beat writer and pretty good at it imho.

Or maybe you prefer the other clowns doing beat coverage for the other sites

I prefer Parker Thune, his sarcasm just hits different

Edited by Octavian
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Bob Lives! said:

Notre Dame just went back to #1 and pushed us back to #3 with the commitment of this top 100 OT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After seeing Kelly "recruit" at LSU, i am starting to think just maybe he was the real problem for them that kept ND from not getting over the hump, even with all of their built in advantages in the CFP system.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Shaggyhorn said:

Nothing to see here, except for very poor salesmanship. I hope they do get investigated because that would hurt them, but i’m not sure anything would come of it. However, that’s a very cringy statement, and I bet a couple of those recruits felt the same way.

I mean there’s plenty to see. It’s clearly a discussion of an inducement which is against NCAA rules. 

It’s really stupid that an aggy staffer would say this out in the open. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Mr. Mojo Risin' said:

To be fair... Kyrah said before brunch.  So maybe 930-1000 central?  Hill, Gullette and Baxter have been ruled out for today IIRC.

Malik from SOC?

We are running out of mimosas for this fucking brunch, I'm gonna need this to speed up a bit.

• Like 1

I mean there’s plenty to see. It’s clearly a discussion of an inducement which is against NCAA rules. 
It’s really stupid that an aggy staffer would say this out in the open. 

Maybe. In todays NIL world, I’m not sure this is considered inducement as no specifics were discussed. It’s certainly in bad taste, and a better statement would be something like, “There are plenty of NIL deals waiting for elite Aggie players. Our alumni and fans are top of the charts for that. I can’t speak to specifics or even who will work with you individually, but the owners of those suites are some of the people putting it all together.”

Nothing will come from that clip, and honestly I don’t really think anything should. The “no inducement” thing has always been pretty vague and clearly bullshit. 

It does make Jimbo’s self righteousness press conference even more ridiculous than it actually was though. Maybe he’ll pop a couple adderalls and double down on how they’ve never bought anyone today, that could be fun. 

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, UncleSonny said:

Nothing will come from that clip, and honestly I don’t really think anything should. The “no inducement” thing has always been pretty vague and clearly bullshit. 

It does make Jimbo’s self righteousness press conference even more ridiculous than it actually was though. Maybe he’ll pop a couple adderalls and double down on how they’ve never bought anyone today, that could be fun. 

Username: Validated.