Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

6 minutes ago, Getafix said:

👀 👀 👀 👀 

(“David Hicks,” he said. “Hunter Osborne too. I’ll be talking to both of them.”)

Texas felt like home for new commit Malik Muhammad

Mike Roach

Reveal hidden contents

Mike Roach

One of the best recruiting jobs of the year appears to be complete today with the commitment of Malik Muhammad.

The four-star cornerback from Dallas South Oak Cliff had Texas down his list behind several other schools in the spring, but a few visits to Austin changed that for the Longhorns. After committing, Muhammad told Horns247 that Texas felt like home.

“At first they weren’t in the running,” he said. “I took a couple of visits and then on my OV they showed great hospitality to my family. It felt like home. It’s right in Austin and not too far away from the family. They’ve got a great school with academics and I feel like if we put Texas back on the map, I’ll be set for life.”

Muhammad keeps Texas hot on the recruiting trail after making some big additions in the last month. As the Longhorns race for the top spot, it added another element to the recruitment for Muhammad.

“That’s not what I was thinking about, but as it was going it became my thought,” he said. “Coach Sark told me I could be the alpha male on the Texas side. He told me I could help bring more people to Texas.”

Muhammad will be joined in the class by friends and family. Texas wide receiver commit Johntay Cook is one of his childhood friends and the two grew up playing youth ball together. Muhammad won a state championship last season with his cousin and fellow Texas commit Billy Walton.

“It feels good,” he said. “I’ve never lost with Johntay on my team. Me an Billy just won a state championship, so the winning culture is definitely coming to Texas with us coming there.”

With his commitment out of the way, Muhammad will turn his attention to adding some beef up front on the defensive line to make his job easier.

“David Hicks,” he said. “Hunter Osborne too. I’ll be talking to both of them.”

At 6-feet, 170 pounds, Muhammad is ranked as the No. 5 cornerback in the country and No. 7 overall prospect in Texas, according to 247Sports Composite.

FWIW, Hamilton reported earlier today that Texas isn't recruiting Osborne anymore

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Cross-posting from the MM thread.

On Sept. 9th (Fri), Desoto plays SOC.  I believe the Surly Dallas contingent should make an appearance.  

Sure. Anybody know where I can get an orange Longhorn patch for this by September 9th?…it’s for an XL.

image.thumb.jpeg.9dcb4e89c10805720e690a22e10eae14.jpeg

Edited by IDIOTsavant
  • Like 1
  • Haha 7

Mike at Night: Recapping an interesting day for Texas recruiting

Mike Roach

(I also spoke to a source near Garland Naaman Forest defensive lineman Markis Deal. Deal is expected in at the end of July for the recruiting event, and I'm told he hears from Bo Davis every day.)

Spoiler

Mike at Night: Recapping an interesting day for Texas recruiting

Mike Roach

— I hope the Payton Kirkland story kept everyone entertained today. Simply put, this was one of the more unique experiences I've had in the business. I woke up this morning with a phone call from a source telling me that Texas was a team to watch for the Longhorns. I was obviously dubious on that given I hadn't heard much on him recently and Texas wasn't included among his finalists. After calling sources throughout the morning, I started to put together that there was some truth to that. We tried for as long as we could to get our ducks in a row talking with sources near Kirkland and at times, Kirkland himself. We felt good enough to go forward with an afternoon report, and though I felt at the time that Texas was getting into a position to win this recruitment, I agreed with several people we wouldn't enter picks. After some other industry picks went in, Kirkland went to social media to downplay the news.

— Where does that leave us now? I still think Texas shouldn't be counted out of the race as the Longhorns stay hot on the recruiting trail following the commitment of Malik Muhammad earlier today. As we head into Saturday's decision date for Kirkland, there are a lot of questions and factors in play. Could the predictions from today scuttle the chances of the Longhorns? We'll see, but I just don't think that will happen totally. This is the age we live in now. We are tasked with gathering and reporting inside information but have to walk a tight rope with sources and the kids in question. Our industry is the only one where breaking stories like commitments is looked down upon. Kids continue to adjust to that and we will have to adjust with them. If you ask me my opinion today, I'd say to stay tapped in with Kirkland and where things are headed in the next 72 hours. This is still a race where I feel like the Longhorns are in play.

— Over the weekend I spoke to a source close to Marlin linebacker Derion Gullette. Gullette has been linked to Texas since his visit, and I can confirm that the Longhorns remain in a strong position here. There's been talk that Gullette could take his decision to the fall, but the source I spoke with feels that it would likely end sooner rather than later. In fact, I was told something could happen before the end of this month. I think Gullette wants to stay close to home and I think Texas is the favorite over Texas A&M if he does. One thing to watch will be Ohio State. The Buckeyes missed out on a prospect last week in Louisiana's Tackett Curtis who committed to USC. With Curtis off the board, will they turn up the heat on Gullette and will it matter? Ohio State is always a tough out on the recruiting trail, but I still like where Texas sits at this point.

— I also spoke to a source near Garland Naaman Forest defensive lineman Markis Deal. Deal is expected in at the end of July for the recruiting event, and I'm told he hears from Bo Davis every day. TCU and USC are schools I'm told Deal is high on, but there is some push by those close to him for Texas and Georgia. The family likes the record of development Bo Davis has and feel that Deal could be put in a great position to go to the NFL after playing for him. I'll be interested to see the way this race trends following his visit, but the update I got was much more positive than the last one when I saw Deal this spring.

Small thing but it’s cool to see out of state commits like Sydir and Derek Williams celebrating every commit and helping build the momentum. Nice to see current players on the roster celebrating new commits too. Feels like more people are bought in and there’s more cohesiveness compared to past years. 🤘🏼

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, Getafix said:

👀 👀 👀 👀 

(“David Hicks,” he said. “Hunter Osborne too. I’ll be talking to both of them.”)

Mike Roach

Reveal hidden contents

Mike Roach

One of the best recruiting jobs of the year appears to be complete today with the commitment of Malik Muhammad.

The four-star cornerback from Dallas South Oak Cliff had Texas down his list behind several other schools in the spring, but a few visits to Austin changed that for the Longhorns. After committing, Muhammad told Horns247 that Texas felt like home.

“At first they weren’t in the running,” he said. “I took a couple of visits and then on my OV they showed great hospitality to my family. It felt like home. It’s right in Austin and not too far away from the family. They’ve got a great school with academics and I feel like if we put Texas back on the map, I’ll be set for life.”

Muhammad keeps Texas hot on the recruiting trail after making some big additions in the last month. As the Longhorns race for the top spot, it added another element to the recruitment for Muhammad.

“That’s not what I was thinking about, but as it was going it became my thought,” he said. “Coach Sark told me I could be the alpha male on the Texas side. He told me I could help bring more people to Texas.”

Muhammad will be joined in the class by friends and family. Texas wide receiver commit Johntay Cook is one of his childhood friends and the two grew up playing youth ball together. Muhammad won a state championship last season with his cousin and fellow Texas commit Billy Walton.

“It feels good,” he said. “I’ve never lost with Johntay on my team. Me an Billy just won a state championship, so the winning culture is definitely coming to Texas with us coming there.”

With his commitment out of the way, Muhammad will turn his attention to adding some beef up front on the defensive line to make his job easier.

“David Hicks,” he said. “Hunter Osborne too. I’ll be talking to both of them.”

At 6-feet, 170 pounds, Muhammad is ranked as the No. 5 cornerback in the country and No. 7 overall prospect in Texas, according to 247Sports Composite.

Those quote on Hicks/Osborne could be a couple weeks old so take that fwiw

26 minutes ago, Ghost of Shag said:

So did Gerry just fuck this up for Kirkland, is that the story?

Part of me wonders if the kid had his hand out, heard about the Pancake Factory and told Gerry he was going to commit to Texas. Then, when he tried to commit, or when the coaches heard about his plan, he was told his offer wasn’t commitable and now he’s saving face. It’s just bizarre that we’d be taking commitments from kids who haven’t even visited. I’d say it’s bizarre that they’d commit without visiting, but NIL. 

• Hook 'Em 3

14 minutes ago, Chili dog said:

Part of me wonders if the kid had his hand out, heard about the Pancake Factory and told Gerry he was going to commit to Texas. Then, when he tried to commit, or when the coaches heard about his plan, he was told his offer wasn’t commitable and now he’s saving face. It’s just bizarre that we’d be taking commitments from kids who haven’t even visited. I’d say it’s bizarre that they’d commit without visiting, but NIL. 

That would require Gerry to take the word of the kid without ever checking with anyone on the staff. That would be astronomically stupid.

Well, somebody fucked something up for this thread.
I'm locked & loaded with alcohol and waiting for more amazing news of the night.
If I were a Nike guy, I'd be all over these shoes.
Wait.. I meant kicks. 

You an Adee-dahz guy?

55 minutes ago, Ghost of Shag said:

So did Gerry just fuck this up for Kirkland, is that the story?

Several possibilities:

1) Most likely(in my opinion) kid is trying to drum up more drama/higher NIL.  Putting Texas out there as a threat either legitimately or not might help with NIL.  Having a respected recruit expert cb you out of nowhere to Texas when everyone else thought it was a 2 horse race and then publicly deny the report can definitely get people talking about you.  In this scenario it could be legit and it could not.

2) It's legit. He may have "secretly visited".  He may have told Gerry but he wants to keep people guessing.  He's a recruit who the heck knows what he's thinking.

3) He's a sooner and wants to make us look bad by feeding a report that he is commit to us only to go for the sooner and shock the world....

4) Gerry screwed up.  I find this the least probable.

Paul Giamatti Reaction GIF

• Hook 'Em 2